Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion

+11
Death Roe
y2kMgrad
Rodeo Burger
ErnieMcCracken
kingstonlake
dubie7006
Cym Jim
AvgMSUJoe
LoneWolfSparty
Ass Dan
Phil McCrackin
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion Empty Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion

Post by Phil McCrackin Fri May 09, 2014 7:24 am

Dr. Dre: Genius, or just really savvy businessman?

Not only has the guy produced records for some of the biggest names in rap, he's also got his own stack of platinum solo records and grammy awards. Dre pioneered the 90's rap scene. On top of that, he's the founder and CEO of Beats Electronics, which is about to be bought for a shit load of money.

He donated $70m to USC last year.

Straight outta Compton, indeed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-apple-offer-20140508,0,2523756.story

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion Empty Re: Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion

Post by Ass Dan Fri May 09, 2014 7:40 am

Man. That guy has done as well for himself as anyone could have ever imagined.

Plus, Chronic 2001 is arguably the greatest rap album of all time.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion Empty Re: Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion

Post by LoneWolfSparty Fri May 09, 2014 7:49 am

Ass Dan wrote:Man.  That guy has done as well for himself as anyone could have ever imagined.  

Plus, Chronic 2001 is arguably the greatest rap album of all time.
'

Sorry, License to Ill.

FTW
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Fri May 09, 2014 7:51 am

LoneWolfSparty wrote:
'

Sorry, License to Ill.

FTW

Strike 2.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin Fri May 09, 2014 8:12 am

LoneWolfSparty wrote:
'

Sorry, License to Ill.

FTW

License to Ill isn't even the best Beastie Boys album.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Fri May 09, 2014 8:15 am

Phil McCrackin wrote:

License to Ill isn't even the best Beastie Boys album.

Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion 502811600 Opinion.......................
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri May 09, 2014 8:28 am

They seem fitting for each other... Outrageously overpriced... A bunch of style, not much substance... and a simple yet rabid drone like following.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:They seem fitting for each other... Outrageously overpriced... A bunch of style, not much substance... and a simple yet rabid drone like following.

Dude, that's no way to talk about black people.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin Fri May 09, 2014 12:57 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:They seem fitting for each other... Outrageously overpriced... A bunch of style, not much substance... and a simple yet rabid drone like following.

I think it's more interesting that Apple is simply buying their way into new markets, rather than coming up with something on their own.

Apple has been struggling to compete with streaming music, and with the plethora of options out there for this type of service, I'm guessing sales of music through iTunes are not looking promising for the future. Beats has a new streaming service they just launched.

This is partially about hardware, but also about the future of streaming music for Apple.
Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin Fri May 09, 2014 12:57 pm

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion 502811600 Opinion.......................

It's a fact that Check your Head and Paul's Boutique are far superior to License to Ill.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 Wed May 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Purchase finalized at $3billion. Deal includes $2.6B cash up front and $400million in stock options. Beats co-founders Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine will join Apple in some capacity, as well.

Crazy.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed May 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Phil McCrackin wrote:Dr. Dre: Genius, or just really savvy businessman?

Not only has the guy produced records for some of the biggest names in rap, he's also got his own stack of platinum solo records and grammy awards. Dre pioneered the 90's rap scene. On top of that, he's the founder and CEO of Beats Electronics, which is about to be bought for a shit load of money.  

He donated $70m to USC last year.

Straight outta Compton, indeed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-apple-offer-20140508,0,2523756.story

Awesome. USC could really use the money.....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken Wed May 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Impressive display of corporate might by Apple. iPhone + Beats= a punch in the face to Android.
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 pm

ErnieMcCracken wrote:Impressive display of corporate might by Apple. iPhone + Beats= a punch in the face to Android.

scratch 

It is a good marriage of heavily marketed, over priced, technically inferior hardware.

The Apple fan boys will think they're gangsta now.

Last edited by Rodeo Burger on Wed May 28, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken Wed May 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Those Beats headphones may be nothing special but how do they compare with what traditionally comes with a phone? Pretty big selling point to the audio and image inclined.
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Wed May 28, 2014 9:38 pm

Hipster, meet gangster.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken Wed May 28, 2014 9:43 pm

I can definitely see Dr. Dre doing some serious business and selling some phones. The man is joining as an executive right? iphone be pimping.
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 Wed May 28, 2014 9:44 pm

ErnieMcCracken wrote:Those Beats headphones may be nothing special but how do they compare with what traditionally comes with a phone? Pretty big selling point to the audio and image inclined.

Will Apple be able to sell the next iPhone with a Beats headset at the same price point, though? I kind of doubt it.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken Wed May 28, 2014 9:51 pm

dubie7006 wrote:

Will Apple be able to sell the next iPhone with a Beats headset at the same price point, though? I kind of doubt it.

I assume they would. Maybe not though. What do those things cost to build?
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 Wed May 28, 2014 9:56 pm

ErnieMcCracken wrote:

I assume they would. Maybe not though. What do those things cost to build?

No idea, but I'm assuming the drivers are more expensive. When you consider that Beats in-ears go for $100 minimum, and the headphones that Apple currently uses go for $30, I would assume there is some sort of difference in their makeup that would lead to a price hike.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 pm

ErnieMcCracken wrote:Impressive display of corporate might by Apple. iPhone + Beats= a punch in the face to Android.

Haha. Typical Apple propaganda by Ernie.

It's a great move, but the Beats speakers on the HTC One aren't that great. The M7 model I believe. The GS4/5 speakers were better.

They make FANTASTIC headphones, but this purchase feels like a lot of hype to buy a big brand.

THE NEW APPLE IPHONE 7 WITH BEATS BY DRE!!!

Sounds more gimmicky now than ever.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 Wed May 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Death Roe wrote:

It's a great move, but the Beats speakers on the HTC One aren't that great. The M7 model I believe. The GS4/5 speakers were better.

They make FANTASTIC headphones, but this purchase feels like a lot of hype to buy a big brand.

I think it's a little of both hype and sound (sorry for the pun) business.  You make a great point about the hype, but let's be honest, Apple's speakers suck.  If they can put that technology in their phone and both make it better and more notable, then why not?   Again, I just question if they can do so cost-effectively.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken Wed May 28, 2014 10:37 pm

Death Roe wrote:

If competing phones are converging and essentially offering a similar experience then areas of differentiation are important. Boom- Apple offers a superior music experience and gets some edge back.
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Wed May 28, 2014 10:37 pm

I agree with you. But you know it will not be cost-effective. And certain people will be on here telling us "It's SO worth spending $200 on in-ear buds. They have Apple-branding AND Beats by Dre-branding!"
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Wed May 28, 2014 10:38 pm

ErnieMcCracken wrote:

If competing phones are converging and essentially offering a similar experience then areas of differentiation are important. Boom- Apple offers a superior music experience and gets some edge back.

I really don't take music speakers into account when I'm looking for my next smartphone. My GS5 actually has nice speakers, but I use Bluetooth speakers/my car for music for the most part. I understand some people do, but the iPhone will still be behind technology-wise in some aspects. Until then, I'm passing 100% on Apple.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 Wed May 28, 2014 10:40 pm

Death Roe wrote:I agree with you. But you know it will not be cost-effective. And certain people will be on here telling us "It's SO worth spending $200 on in-ear buds. They have Apple-branding AND Beats by Dre-branding!"

I tend to agree with you. And the cost, for me, will be yet another reason to not make the switch to iPhone. Cost isn't the only one, but it is one. Jacking the price up just for headphones, when I have a perfectly good, acoustically pleasing pair of Klipschs, would be a reason to stay away.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Wed May 28, 2014 10:41 pm

I couldn't believe they switched out the chargers on people when they released the iPhone 5. Blew my mind.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 Wed May 28, 2014 10:48 pm

Death Roe wrote:I couldn't believe they switched out the chargers on people when they released the iPhone 5. Blew my mind.

I honestly think part of that was to create an air of exclusivity for new converts. "oh, you have an old iPhone? well you don't have this thunderbolt charger!"
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by BtothejizA Wed May 28, 2014 10:55 pm

ErnieMcCracken wrote:Those Beats headphones may be nothing special but how do they compare with what traditionally comes with a phone? Pretty big selling point to the audio and image inclined.

They are paying 3.2 billion for the brand.

Consumers are just so lazy/stupid that the name is actually worth that much.
BtothejizA
BtothejizA
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 Wed May 28, 2014 10:59 pm

BtothejizA wrote:

Bingo.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken Wed May 28, 2014 11:07 pm

Death Roe wrote:

I really don't take music speakers into account when I'm looking for my next smartphone. My GS5 actually has nice speakers, but I use Bluetooth speakers/my car for music for the most part. I understand some people do, but the iPhone will still be behind technology-wise in some aspects. Until then, I'm passing 100% on Apple.

I generally don't care either. However Apple is about to enter the wearable market in a big way. Beats headphones is definitely a wearable also. That is where the market is heading. The fact ear buds have not really been marketed as a differentiator is going to change. Terrific selling point also. Get $100 Beats ear bud with every phone. Beats has terrific brand value. People can sit back and say Beats sucks compared to other high end buds but Beats eats their lunch. They saw the market and exploited it while their competition watched. Beats has some very smart people running it. If I was Apple I want those people.
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken Wed May 28, 2014 11:09 pm

BtothejizA wrote:

They are paying 3.2 billion for the brand.

So what- you think valuable brands just happen? Those businesses that got their lunch eaten by Beats are the lazy and stupid.
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Wed May 28, 2014 11:10 pm

So are the people paying for overpriced products.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 Wed May 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Refer to BtotheJizA's last post. People are stupid and lazy. There are plenty of brands with in-ears just as good as Beats. But people are too stupid to do their homework. No doubt this is a good move for Apple. As long as they can keep cost in check.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken Wed May 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Death Roe wrote:So are the people paying for overpriced products.

How many products you pay for are overpriced? I bet in your buying habits there is a ton of shit.
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Wed May 28, 2014 11:17 pm

ErnieMcCracken wrote:

How many products you pay for are overpriced? I bet in your buying habits there is a ton of shit.

I don't need to tell you my spending habits. As far as I'm concerned, that's none of your business. You're just pissed because you're thinking I generalized all Apple owners/users as stupid.  Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion 502811600 

About the only "over-priced" product I occasionally buy is Under Armour. But that product actually, believe it or not, is worth the price for what I purchase.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken Wed May 28, 2014 11:19 pm

Death Roe wrote:

I don't need to tell you my spending habits. As far as I'm concerned, that's none of your business. You're just pissed because you're thinking I generalized all Apple owners/users as stupid.  Source: Apple close to buying Beats for $3.2 billion 502811600 

About the only "over-priced" product I occasionally buy is Under Armour. But that product actually, believe it or not, is worth the price for what I purchase.

That's fine- I assume you buy a ton of brand name crap. You are a lemming.
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 Wed May 28, 2014 11:23 pm

ErnieMcCracken wrote:

That's fine- I assume you buy a ton of brand name crap. You are a lemming.

Aren't we all, to differing degrees?
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ErnieMcCracken Wed May 28, 2014 11:24 pm

dubie7006 wrote:

Aren't we all, to differing degrees?

Pretty much
ErnieMcCracken
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 Wed May 28, 2014 11:26 pm

ErnieMcCracken wrote:

Pretty much

Then it's not worth arguing over, IMO.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next