Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended?

+5
NigelUno
Giant Moose
tGreenWay
Robert J Sakimano
Vlad
9 posters

Go down

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? Empty If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended?

Post by Giant Moose 2016-01-15, 12:41

I think I would be. Would you?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? Empty Re: If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended?

Post by DWags 2016-01-15, 12:44

By at least a week it would offend me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? Empty Re: If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended?

Post by Vlad 2016-01-15, 12:44

Given that Mr. March has only won one of those championships, I think the name still applies. If he wins one in April, we can talk about changing the nickname Mr. Spring or something.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-15, 12:52

I can't imagine being offended by something like that.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-15, 12:57

Where's the random thoughts thread? This seems like a post for the random thoughts thread.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-01-15, 21:35

I think I'm starting to get it with you, Moose. Anything short of winning it all is not good enough. Pretty much failure.

If Izzo finishes fourth again this year I think we should start a national search for his replacement.

Problem is that guy likely will finish 16th or worse more times than not. Try to enjoy a time in MSU sports history ( in both sports) that will NEVER be duplicated. I know it really sucks that we don't with National championships every year but it's not bad to be Mr March.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-01-16, 08:25

duffy munn wrote:I think I'm starting to get it with you, Moose. Anything short of winning it all is not good enough. Pretty much failure.

If Izzo finishes fourth again this year I think we should start a national search for his replacement.

Problem is that guy likely will finish 16th or worse more times than not. Try to enjoy a time in MSU sports history ( in both sports) that will NEVER be duplicated.  I know it really sucks that we don't with National championships every year but it's not bad to be Mr March.

Getting blown out by powers in the final fours of sports isn't what we should strive for. This era is not as good as the '50s and '60s. We have one national championship in the major 2 sports in 36 years. Time to actually win another instead of just being happy to be one of the last four teams at the end of the season.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-01-16, 08:31

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:I think I'm starting to get it with you, Moose. Anything short of winning it all is not good enough. Pretty much failure.

Problem is that guy likely will finish 16th or worse more times than not. Try to enjoy a time in MSU sports history ( in both sports) that will NEVER be duplicated.  I know it really sucks that we don't with National championships every year but it's not bad to be Mr March.

Getting blown out by powers in the final fours of sports isn't what we should strive for. This era is not as good as the '50s and '60s. We have one national championship in the major 2 sports in 36 years. Time to actually win another instead of just being happy to be one of the last four teams at the end of the season.

We were good at basketball in the 50's and 60's?

Link?

Is there a reason you picked 36 years? And say...not 37 years?

Last edited by NigelUno on 2016-01-16, 09:30; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-01-16, 09:29

Giant Moose wrote:

Moose when Duke and Alabama were kicking our ass in the semi's last March and on New Year's Eve I was fucking muserable. I don't think I was the best person to be around during and immediately after the games.

In taking both seasons in a big picture type way, in basketball no way did any of us think final four, and I'm calling bull shit if anyone says so. In football with the injuries and especially the OSU game without cook, no way did many of us think conference champs or playoffs. So big picture if you step back, people saying they're pleased with the seasons I get what they mean.

If you think one spartan alive would rather lose and be happy with that then win a championship, you're just out of your mind. WE ALL WANT TO WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIKNSHIP. WE GET THAT MOOSE.

SO, what's your answer. Instead of saying "we need to stop being happy with getting to the final four" tell us what you advocate for MSU. Please. We get it, it sucks. But tell us if you were king of MSU, what's the moose plan? Don't be afraid to say you'd fire Tom Izzo or Dantonio, because if that's what you think, I respect that. But pleas, stop saying we need to stop being happy with final fours. Tell us your plan of action. You're just bitching without giving solutions and that isn't fair

Me? I'm pissed we aren't national champs in football and I'm pissed Duke or North Carolina anally rapes us. But, I don't have the balls to say get rid of our coaches because I see what happened at Michigan when they got rid of Carr because they "wanted more". I hope we get the one or two pieces that put us over the top in both sports and I'm hoping these two coaches can do that. I believe they can. Is that a sunshine bloar? Ok. But tell us your plan. What do you think needs to be done. I'll respect it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-01-16, 09:31

DWags wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Moose when Duke and Alabama were kicking our ass in the semi's last March and on New Year's Eve I was fucking muserable. I don't think I was the best person to be around during and immediately after the games.

In taking both seasons in a big picture type way, in basketball no way did any of us think final four, and I'm calling bull shit if anyone says so. In football with the injuries and especially the OSU game without cook, no way did many of us think conference champs or playoffs. So big picture if you step back, people saying they're pleased with the seasons I get what they mean.

If you think one spartan alive would rather lose and be happy with that then win a championship, you're just out of your mind. WE ALL WANT TO WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIKNSHIP. WE GET THAT MOOSE.

SO, what's your answer. Instead of saying "we need to stop being happy with getting to the final four" tell us what you advocate for MSU. Please. We get it, it sucks. But tell us if you were king of MSU, what's the moose plan? Don't be afraid to say you'd fire Tom Izzo or Dantonio, because if that's what you think, I respect that. But pleas, stop saying we need to stop being happy with final fours. Tell us your plan of action. You're just bitching without giving solutions and that isn't fair

Me? I'm pissed we aren't national champs in football and I'm pissed Duke or North Carolina anally rapes us. But, I don't have the balls to say get rid of our coaches because I see what happened at Michigan when they got rid of Carr because they "wanted more". I hope we get the one or two pieces that put us over the top in both sports and I'm hoping these two coaches can do that. I believe they can. Is that a sunshine bloar? Ok. But tell us your plan. What do you think needs to be done. I'll respect it.

It's very simple. Our favorite number should be 1 not 4. Boom. Nattys!!!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-01-16, 09:43

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

It's very simple. Our favorite number should be 1 not 4. Boom. Nattys!!!

Mine is. I want solutions not bitching. I've said I would stay the course with these two coaches and I believe they find a way. I want mooses solution. You all can tell me I'm a sunshine bloar but there is my solution. I'd like everyone's. At least I gave mine.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-01-16, 09:48

DWags wrote: But, I don't have the balls to say get rid of our coaches because I see what happened at Michigan when they got rid of Carr because they "wanted more".

Or Nebraska when they wanted more than Solich or Pelini were delivering.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-01-16, 09:52

Giant Moose wrote:

Of course MSU should strive for championships. I'm just as disappointed as the next guy that we haven't broken through. And, yes, been blown out.

My point is you completely dwell on the final four losses and pretty much ignore that we MADE IT to the final four. 95% of the schools across the country would love to be like MSU right now.

As for the 50's and 60's, football was dominant in a completely different time and landscape. Think we beat Alabama this year if they have no black players ? I do. Hockey won a National Title and nobody cared. The basketball team got to one final four and lost. Are you celebrating that ?

What are your expectations each year ( now ) for MSU football and basketball ? What to you consider a successful season ? Does not winning it all mean MSU has failed ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-01-16, 13:57

I want us to compete at the highest level on the biggest stages instead of getting blown out. If we have to lose I wish more of them were by the 2 against Butler in 2010 instead of looking like we don't belong on the same court.

Let's look at all of our tourney losses by 15 or more under Izzo. We've lost to Duke by 20 (2015), UNC by 17 (2009), Memphis by 18 (2008), UNC by 16 (2005), Arizona by 19 (2001), and UNC by 15 (1998).

If you expand it all double digit losses and not just by 15, add losing to Duke by 10 (2013), Louisville by 13 (2012), UNC by 14 (2007), George Mason by 10 (2006), and NC State by 11 (2002).

Couple this with Dantonio losing 38-0 and 49-7 to Alabama in bowl games while here, it leaves a bad impression. Sure, both Dantonio and Izzo have done great things as well but I don't get why we have been blown out so badly at times.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-01-16, 15:06

Giant Moose wrote:I want us to compete at the highest level on the biggest stages instead of getting blown out. If we have to lose I wish more of them were by the 2 against Butler in 2010 instead of looking like we don't belong on the same court.

Let's look at all of our tourney losses by 15 or more under Izzo. We've lost to Duke by 20 (2015), UNC by 17 (2009), Memphis by 18 (2008), UNC by 16 (2005), Arizona by 19 (2001), and UNC by 15 (1998).

If you expand it all double digit losses and not just by 15, add losing to Duke by 10 (2013), Louisville by 13 (2012), UNC by 14 (2007), George Mason by 10 (2006), and NC State by 11 (2002).

Couple this with Dantonio losing 38-0 and 49-7 to Alabama in bowl games while here, it leaves a bad impression. Sure, both Dantonio and Izzo have done great things as well but I don't get why we have been blown out so badly at times.

I'll take getting there and being blown out over not getting there every single time.

Unless you would rather finish 5th in the league, winning a second tier bowl game or losing in the second round of the NCAA tourney.

Of course winning it all is the goal but some perspective is in order. The MSU football and basketball programs are the envy of so many. Try to enjoy an era that is unprecedented.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-01-16, 15:22

Giant Moose wrote:I want us to compete at the highest level on the biggest stages instead of getting blown out. If we have to lose I wish more of them were by the 2 against Butler in 2010 instead of looking like we don't belong on the same court.

I want everything you do. What's your suggestion to get there? I've given mine. Should we get rid of these two? You have to suggest something.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-01-16, 15:26

Come on, get everyone in here. We all know it sucks getting blown out. What are some suggestions? You all get to make the decision. Will you get rid of our coaches because their ceiling isn't high enough? Or, like me, do you appreciate their success, understand without cheating it's damn hard to win it all, know we have two great ones and hope they find the missing pieces to get one.

Let's hear it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-01-16, 15:27

DWags wrote:

I want everything you do. What's your suggestion to get there? I've given mine. Should we get rid of these two? You have to suggest something.

Easy.

Score more touchdowns and allow less touchdowns.

Score more baskets and allow less baskets.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-01-16, 16:25

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

Easy.

Can one really demand excellence without suggesting how to do it?

At least you've suggested. I fear we won't get suggestions. At least tell me I'm full of shit and we should drop Tom Izzo and Dantonio.

If anyone listened to Dantonio two days ago, he would like a do over. And if we believe Warner created that game plan for Bana without Dantonio's prints all over it, we're crazy. He'll add parts and change up a bit. But everybody has to undestand when we do we'll be giving up more points on defense. You open up your offense and toss it around more at angles you increase chances of turnovers.

As far as basketball, I don't know shit about strategy. I trust Tom Izzo and don't want to fire him. I'd rattler have him than any other one out there.

I just get tired of so many of us saying we demand more, tell us how much we've lost by in the past and then have nothing as to how they think we should improve

Yes: coach better, score more, keep them from scoring are great pieces of advice, but.........

Like my wife says "why didn't they just tackle that fucker!?!? ".
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-01-16, 18:00

DWags wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Easy.

Can one really demand excellence without suggesting how to do it?

At least you've suggested. I fear we won't get suggestions. At least tell me I'm full of shit and we should drop Tom Izzo and Dantonio.

If anyone listened to Dantonio two days ago, he would like a do over. And if we believe Warner created that game plan for Bana without Dantonio's prints all over it, we're crazy. He'll add parts and change up a bit. But everybody has to undestand when we do we'll be giving up more points on defense. You open up your offense and toss it around more at angles you increase chances of turnovers.

As far as basketball, I don't know shit about strategy. I trust Tom Izzo and don't want to fire him. I'd rattler have him than any other one out there.

I just get tired of so many of us saying we demand more, tell us how much we've lost by in the past and then have nothing as to how they think we should improve

Yes: coach better, score more, keep them from scoring are great pieces of advice, but.........

Like my wife says "why didn't they just tackle that fucker!?!? ".

It's very easy to demand excellence without how knowing how to achieve it.

Especially when sustained excellence over 2 decades ( Izzo ) isn't good enough.

I supposed maybe we could can Izzo and Dantonio and hire Coach K and Saban. But guess what, those guys don't win it all every year. So I guess we would have to fire them too.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-01-16, 19:55

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? 502811600

So, the solution is...just to say you (and I mean you personally) don't want to get blown out anymore.

OK.

Glad we solved that. Can't wait for the results.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-01-16, 19:59

NigelUno wrote:

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? 502811600

So, the solution is...just to say you (and I mean you personally) don't want to get blown out anymore.

OK.

His solution reads like my wife's solution about Maxwell. " That cock sucker needs to throw it to our players like Cousins did".

It's brilliant in its simplicity.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-01-16, 20:10

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

OK.

His solution reads like my wife's solution about Maxwell. " That cock sucker needs to throw it to our players like Cousins did".

It's brilliant in its simplicity.

Your wife called Maxwell a cock sucker ? Who does she think she is, Tanfan ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-16, 20:23

D wags' wife's spartan card is GONE. Fucking GONE!!!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-01-16, 20:25

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:D wags' wife's spartan card is GONE. Fucking GONE!!!

As long as we score more points than them, she just doesn't care.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-12, 13:04

Just bought a shirt to get ready for next month! Basketball Basketball Basketball Basketball

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? MPKnHYJ

http://www.rallyhouse.com/original-retro-brand-michigan-state-spartans-green-mens-izzo-tee-4810873
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-12, 13:06

Giant Moose wrote:Just bought a shirt to get ready for next month!  Basketball  Basketball  Basketball  Basketball

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? MPKnHYJ

http://www.rallyhouse.com/original-retro-brand-michigan-state-spartans-green-mens-izzo-tee-4810873

that reminds me.. I still need something to wear to the game Sunday.. what size are you?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-12, 13:08

Robert J Sakimano wrote:that reminds me.. I still need something to wear to the game Sunday.. what size are you?
Bob, shhh. Death Roe is going to get suspicious.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-12, 13:08

What are the chances we could get the "current date and time" at the top of the board to read "Friday 10 Izzo 2016" next month? That's be so great.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-12, 13:10

Giant Moose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:that reminds me.. I still need something to wear to the game Sunday.. what size are you?

he's another one who takes the message boardin' business seriously..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-12, 13:16

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

I suggest this shirt, size L. It's the perfect shirt to show your pride for a coach from the Upper Peninsula.

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? Rk0wzKg

http://www.tailgateclothing.com/products/michigan-state-spartans-izzo-state-t-shirt

Last edited by Giant Moose on 2016-02-12, 13:18; edited 1 time in total
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-12, 13:17

Giant Moose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? 502811600

I suggest this shirt, size L. It's the perfect shirt to show your pride in a coach from the Upper Peninsula.

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? ItyRnHw

http://www.tailgateclothing.com/products/michigan-state-spartans-izzo-state-t-shirt
if I were into that sort of thing, that's a pretty sweet shirt.. though I'd prefer black..

and a medium.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-12, 13:22

Robert J Sakimano wrote:If I were into that sort of thing, that's a pretty sweet shirt.. though I'd prefer black..

and a medium.

I think I found the perfect one for you, Bob. I know how much you love God and MSU sports so implying that our coach is God is the best of both worlds. And it's available in black.

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? BxJrBg4

http://alternativehero.spreadshirt.com/mr-march-A101705118
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-12, 13:25

Giant Moose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:If I were into that sort of thing, that's a pretty sweet shirt.. though I'd prefer black..

and a medium.

I think I found the perfect one for you, Bob. I know how much you love God and MSU sports so implying that our coach is God is the best of both worlds. And it's available in black.

If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? BxJrBg4

http://alternativehero.spreadshirt.com/mr-march-A101705118
If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? 3434560931 - - - ->   If your nickname was Mr. March but your sport's championship game was in April would you be offended? 361471007
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down