Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2018

+21
By-Tor
steveschneider
InTenSity
duffy munn
Death Roe
GRR Spartan
MattyFresh
The_Dude
Herbie Green
Nordic
WhiteBoyHatcher
Robert J Sakimano
Other Teams Pursuing That
Tim Wakefield
DWags
Clarett's Folly
NigelUno
pulling69
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
25 posters

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2018 - Page 10 Empty Re: tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2018

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-07, 19:41

Actually I don't think the family moved. From my understanding the kid is 18 and the family got him an apartment in Clarkston.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2018 - Page 10 Empty Re: tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2018

Post by Herbie Green 2017-12-07, 19:42

"The MHSAA handbook has seven clauses that define an "athletically motivated" transfer, and Johnson said No. 7 specifically applied to Kithier's case. That clause reads: "The student seeks to participate with teammates or coaches with whom he/she participated in non-school competition during the preceding 12 months.""

Seems clear cut reading that?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-12-07, 19:44

As Floyd had said MHSAA=NCAA
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-12-07, 19:48

Herbie Green wrote:"The MHSAA handbook has seven clauses that define an "athletically motivated" transfer, and Johnson said No. 7 specifically applied to Kithier's case. That clause reads: "The student seeks to participate with teammates or coaches with whom he/she participated in non-school competition during the preceding 12 months.""

yeah it does. Bummer

There was a similar situation at East Grand Rapids with the Grady family a while back. I was too young to know specifics but EGR was definitely poaching kids. From 7th grade to 8th grade basketball, they had almost an entire different team. My dad said something about the Gradys being scumbags. Anyone know the story on that?
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-12-07, 19:51

I am not fired up about it, he should of transferred to like that IMG academy and not missed a minute lol
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-12-07, 19:51

Tim Wakefield wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:"The MHSAA handbook has seven clauses that define an "athletically motivated" transfer, and Johnson said No. 7 specifically applied to Kithier's case. That clause reads: "The student seeks to participate with teammates or coaches with whom he/she participated in non-school competition during the preceding 12 months.""

yeah it does. Bummer

There was a similar situation at East Grand Rapids with the Grady family a while back. I was too young to know specifics but EGR was definitely poaching kids. From 7th grade to 8th grade basketball, they had almost an entire different team. My dad said something about the Gradys being scumbags. Anyone know the story on that?

Jackass.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-12-07, 19:56

Come on - they say they explored all these school districts and then in the end it just so happened that the one with the #1 ranked team that has his AAU teammate and future college teammate was the best fit socially and academically?
I suppose you can disagree with the rule and its intentions but it seems like exactly the kind of thing they are trying to stop and had a specific clause to base the ruling.  Interesting he originally got 90 days, Clarkston appeals and then they up it to 180 days.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-12-07, 20:03

And WTF didn't they read these rules during all this "research"?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-12-07, 20:04

Herbie Green wrote:And WTF didn't they read these rules during all this "research"?

having read that clause they must've thought they could pull a fast one on the gun slinging MHSAA
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2017-12-07, 20:52

It all came down to Dakota not signing his transfer. A bunch of petty, drunk old men denying an 18 year old kid the chance to play hoops where he wants. Pretty sad.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2017-12-07, 21:07

Clarkston won by 4 tonight by the way in a game against Flint CarmanAinsworth. D1 athletes littered all over the floor. Clarkston was down 12 in early 4th.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-07, 21:09

Can’t believe it. Probably the dumbest rule I’ve ever seen.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-12-07, 21:22

MattyFresh wrote:As Floyd had said MHSAA=NCAA

This is a bit of a stretch.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-07, 21:25

tGreenWay wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:

yeah it does. Bummer

Jackass.

Wake, I am sorry GreenWay called your father a name. He has been lashing out lately.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-12-07, 21:27

By-Tor wrote:It all came down to Dakota not signing his transfer. A bunch of petty, drunk old men denying an 18 year old kid the chance to play hoops where he wants. Pretty sad.

Coaches can change schools. Or AD's. Or teachers.

But, kids?

Hell no. tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2018 - Page 10 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-12-07, 21:57

Wonder what duff has to say about this rule.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-07, 21:58

Tim Wakefield wrote:

yeah it does. Bummer

Freshman football coach at EGR and huge booster (a field is named after him) has “rental houses” in the district. Mehney is the name I think. Anyway it was found that a lot of pretty good football players from the GR area tended to have addresses at this guys rental houses.

David Evans Jr had about 1500 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2013. Him and his dad were paying 200 a month for the house. It was way more involved but former coaches and players who were real estate agents were helping too. EGR is pretty slick.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-12-07, 22:03

Maybe he'll go to La Lu.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-07, 22:10

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Wonder what duff has to say about this rule.

He read me the riot act last time about rules. I learned he's a big fan of people following the rules even though they are terrible rules.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-07, 22:21

From what I'm reading elsewhere the rule cited is rarely enforced. Example given was that Tillman and one of his HS teammates were also AAU teammates before they transferred in to the HS.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2017-12-07, 22:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:From what I'm reading elsewhere the rule cited is rarely enforced. Example given was that Tillman and one of his HS teammates were also AAU teammates before they transferred in to the HS.
MHSSA gonna have a lawsuit on their hands.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-07, 22:34

Did moving the girl's basketball season to the fall destroy the world like the MHSAA said it would?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-12-07, 23:26

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:From what I'm reading elsewhere the rule cited is rarely enforced. Example given was that Tillman and one of his HS teammates were also AAU teammates before they transferred in to the HS.

Depends on what is reported by what schools. No good way to police this stuff. Recruiting and school of choice are both slick slopes
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-07, 23:53

Turtleneck wrote:Did moving the girl's basketball season to the fall destroy the world like the MHSAA said it would?

I know you meant “to the winter” and while it had no major effect, it was a bitch for AD’s getting officials. I remember when the mesas just kept spending money on the law suit and every AD I knew would laugh that it was a slam dunk. No way was the mhsaa winning.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-08, 00:14

Oh, yeah, from the fall to winter. I have no idea how the world survived.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-12-08, 07:29

Herbie Green wrote:Come on - they say they explored all these school districts and then in the end it just so happened that the one with the #1 ranked team that has his AAU teammate and future college teammate was the best fit socially and academically?
I suppose you can disagree with the rule and its intentions but it seems like exactly the kind of thing they are trying to stop and had a specific clause to base the ruling.  Interesting he originally got 90 days, Clarkston appeals and then they up it to 180 days.

Actually, yes. Seems like a great fit. Transferring to a school where know a kid you'll be spending the next five years with in a social, athletic, and academic surrounding. Honestly I can't think of an easier transition.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-12-08, 07:42

He had to sit out a semester and I don't think he objected.  Perhaps if you do then the MHSAA digs deeper.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-08, 07:45

Who filed the claim? Was it his former coach or school? Pretty shameful if that’s the case.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2017-12-08, 07:50

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Wonder what duff has to say about this rule.

The rule is dumb. Not doing enough research and violating it is dumber.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-12-08, 08:10

kingstonlake wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Come on - they say they explored all these school districts and then in the end it just so happened that the one with the #1 ranked team that has his AAU teammate and future college teammate was the best fit socially and academically?

Actually, yes. Seems like a great fit. Transferring to a school where know a kid you'll be spending the next five years with in a social, athletic, and academic surrounding. Honestly I can't think of an easier transition.

I see both sides of this.  It is a dick move to his former teammates but I can't pretend to know his personal circumstances with that coach or other issues with the school.  And if he moves he moves and there shouldn't be anything they can do about it - except that there is a specific rule that makes him inelgible and he was blatantly obvious in violation.
I guess you have to take your green goggles off to see it from the other side.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-08, 08:16

Herbie Green wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I see both sides of this.  It is a dick move to his former teammates but I can't pretend to know his personal circumstances with that coach or other issues with the school.  And if he moves he moves and there shouldn't be anything they can do about it - except that there is a specific rule that makes him inelgible and he was blatantly obvious in violation.

I get the specific rule, but it's still inappropriate for public high schools. These aren't scholarship athletes who signed a LOI and accepted tuition for play.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-12-08, 08:30

Herbie Green wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I'm addressing the angle of your speculation. Not anything to do with glasses.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-08, 08:33

Herbie Green wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I think it’s a good life lesson for his former teammates. People leave, transfer and move on to better situations all of the time in life. Instead of their coach being petty and spiteful he should teach those kids to play the game with a chip on their shoulder.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-12-08, 08:38

kingstonlake wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

yeah but the entire angle is based on playing with a future MSU teammate
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-12-08, 08:48

Herbie Green wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

So, what?

If they gave him a more severe punishment than others who transferred for "athletically motivated" reasons, they are being coerced into doing so by petty, vindictive adults. I would guess there's a possibility they will get sued.

Coaches can leave at any time for better opportunities. Same with AD's, administrators, teachers, etc.

Why shouldn't a kid be able to transfer?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-12-08, 08:54

Herbie Green wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

That seems to matter to you.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-12-08, 08:56

kingstonlake wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

That seems to matter to you.

huh?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-12-08, 08:59

Well, Dakota certainly looks like the bitch in this saga............

Similarly, the Dakota basketball program has benefited from transfers, including a pair of 2017 graduates in Jermaine Jackson Jr. (Mt. Clemens) and Jack Ballantyne (Warren De La Salle). Jackson transferred to Dakota as a junior and Ballantyne did so as a senior. Both now play for the University of Detroit Mercy.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-12-08, 09:17

Apparently the chatter in the area points to the basketball and asst football coaches son is the point guard over the objections of more than a few.... Also they granted a kid named Morris a transfer to a rival who was a good QB on the football team......which opened the door for a new QB....you guessed it the same coaches kid.  The same kid who's the point guard on the basketball team, the coaches son.

Also of note Tuocco, the Dakota basketball coach was arrested for DUI and script meds not prescribed to himself.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-12-08, 09:26

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

So, what?

If they gave him a more severe punishment than others who transferred for "athletically motivated" reasons, they are being coerced into doing so by petty, vindictive adults. I would guess there's a possibility they will get sued.

Coaches can leave at any time for better opportunities. Same with AD's, administrators, teachers, etc.

Why shouldn't a kid be able to transfer?

Good point, maybe they should not only ignore all transfer rules but take it a step further and start paying them salaries so they are treated the same as the paid professionals.

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next