Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kirk Cousins new contract $18-20 million projected per year. Not bad.

+27
steveschneider
Rocinante
loogoldham
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Izzo Court
tGreenWay
InTenSity
MSU addict
TheReal_LWS
StylesGShmooth
Herbie Green
NigelUno
BleacherSwill
GRR Spartan
Blanch32
I.B. Fine
Dr. Strangelove
DWags
kingstonlake
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
Death Roe
Robert J Sakimano
Giant Moose
DoogieHouser
31 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kirk Cousins new contract $18-20 million projected per year. Not bad. - Page 2 Empty Re: Kirk Cousins new contract $18-20 million projected per year. Not bad.

Post by NigelUno 2016-12-02, 10:41

There's no way they franchise him in 2018 for $34 million.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Kirk Cousins new contract $18-20 million projected per year. Not bad. - Page 2 Empty Re: Kirk Cousins new contract $18-20 million projected per year. Not bad.

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-12-02, 10:42

I'd play for one year then retire to hunt full time.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-12-02, 10:48

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:this is great news for such a fine young man!!

#SoHappy

I want him to get paid piles of money so he can fund the Kirk Cousins Spartan Stadium Bathroom Experience. Because the current experience sucks balls, in a bad way.
sounds like a potential clandestine truck stop maneuver.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2016-12-02, 12:33

I hate to say it but I just don't see Cousins with the Redskins next year.  The Redskins have painted themselves into a corner and they know it.  Cousins has all the bargaining leverage and the Redskins just don't have the cap space.

Cousins wants a long term deal.  The Redskins, right or wrong, feel they can only afford  a maximum of 15-16 million a year cap space on a long term deal.  That amount is simply not going to get it done.  A heavily back-end loaded deal with a huge signing bonus is possible, but that does not seem to be what Cousins is looking for.  

Unlike last year, it will be a banner year for teams looking for a QB in the free agent market.  Kaepernick, Romo, Cutler, Fitzpatrick,  Tannehill, Garoppolo, RG III (again), Keenum, Bradford/Bridgewater are all likely to be available.  

My guess is that Cousins will headline that list and the Redskins will make a play for someone less expensive.  

Cousins will get paid, just not by the Redskins.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2016-12-02, 13:24; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-12-02, 12:36

MSU addict wrote:I hate to say it but I just don't see Cousins with the Redskins next year.  The Redskins have painted themselves into a corner and they know it.  Cousins has all the bargaining leverage and the Redskins just don't have the cap space.

Cousins wants a long term deal.  The Redskins, right or wrong, feel they can only afford  a maximum of 15-16 million a year cap space on a long term deal.  That amount is simply not going to get it done.  A heavily back-end loaded deal with a huge signing bonus is possible, but that does not seem to be what Cousins is looking for.  

Unlike last year, it will be a banner year for teams looking for a QB in the free agent market.  Kaepernick, Romo, Cutler, Fitzpatrick,  Tannehill, Garoppolo, RG III (again), Keenum, Bradford/Bridgewater are all likely to be available.  

My guess is that Cousins will headline that list and the Redskins will make a play for someone less expensive.  

Cousins will get paid, just not be the Redskins.

The Bears? Jacksonville? Both possible.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-12-02, 12:38

Skins fans seem to think that Kirk would be open to taking 18-20 a year, as long as the franchise would improve in defense or other area's of need. That's what I garnered after reading comments in an article on teh internet.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-12-02, 12:51

InTenSity wrote:Skins fans seem to think that Kirk would be open to taking 18-20 a year, as long as the franchise would improve in defense or other area's of need. That's what I garnered after reading comments in an article on teh internet.

He may be a nice guy but what athlete settles for 60-70% of what they're due to get on the open market?

As the article says he gets $58Million over the next 2 years from the 'Skins or is a mid 20s unrestricted free agent QB. In that case he might get $30million a year.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-12-02, 13:08

InTenSity wrote:Skins fans seem to think that Kirk would be open to taking 18-20 a year, as long as the franchise would improve in defense or other area's of need. That's what I garnered after reading comments in an article on teh internet.

I'd guess a 5-6 year deal at $20-25 million/year with half of it guaranteed might get it done with the Redskins (or with another team if they release him). $25 million/year would make him the highest paid QB in the NFL...not sure I see that happening.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2016-12-02, 13:19

In the end it all comes down to guaranteed money.  Cousins is going to want a lot, the Redskins are not going to offer much.  The Redskins would happily do 20 million a year deal on a heavily back-loaded contract with little guaranteed money, but Cousins is not going to agree to that.  Again, Cousins has the leverage because putting the franchise tag on him makes it all guaranteed.

There is no way they tag him in 2018 for 34 million, it is just not possible.  So logically, I have to believe they let him walk this year because the free agent market will be a good one.  Lots of talent which will also helps drive prices down.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2016-12-02, 13:23; edited 2 times in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2016-12-02, 13:22

NigelUno wrote:

I'd guess a 5-6 year deal at $20-25 million/year with half of it guaranteed might get it done with the Redskins (or with another team if they release him). $25 million/year would make him the highest paid QB in the NFL...not sure I see that happening.
I agree that would get the job done, but I do not see the Redskins paying that. They have said they can't/won't.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-12-02, 13:23

MSU addict wrote:
In the end it all comes down to guaranteed money. Cousins is going to want a lot, the Redskins are not going to offer much. The Redskins would happily do 20 million a year deal on a heavily back-loaded contract with little guaranteed money, but Cousins is not going to agree to that. Again, Cousins has the leverage because putting the franchise tag on him makes it all guaranteed.

There is no way the tag him in 2018 for 34 million, it is just not possible. So logically, I have to believe they let him walk this year because the free agent market will be a good one. Lots of talent which will also help drive prices down.

There are lots of QBs. Not a lot of talent (other than maybe Romo).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2016-12-02, 13:32

NigelUno wrote:There are lots of QBs. Not a lot of talent (other than maybe Romo).
Romo should give his next team 2-3 good games before his season ending injury.

In the end, this years free agent QB market will have much more talent that most. Osweiler would not get 72 million if he was a free agent in 2017.

The Redskins are not known for making great personnel decisions.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-12-02, 13:38

MSU addict wrote:
NigelUno wrote:There are lots of QBs. Not a lot of talent (other than maybe Romo).
Romo should give his next team 2-3 good games before his season ending injury.

In the end, this years free agent QB market will have much more talent that most. Osweiler would not get 72 million if he was a free agent in 2017.

KC and his agent need to get a 5-6 year deal done after this season. Getting the franchise tag worked out for him this year. He's an injury away from costing himself a $100-120 million deal. He might need to give the Redskins a little (short-term) discount in exchange for a longer deal.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-12-02, 13:41

If the skins can promise to build up the Oline and make the D better, they have a good shot at being contenders for the Superbowl. Winning the Superbowl, with Kirks demeanor, could pay out more than his football salary. What marketing department wouldn't be drooling over the small town nice guy who makes it big to with the Superbowl? Son of a pastor and all that, lives out of a van for a summer.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2016-12-02, 13:46

NigelUno wrote:KC and his agent need to get a 5-6 year deal done after this season. Getting the franchise tag worked out for him this year. He's an injury away from costing himself a $100-120 million deal. He might need to give the Redskins a little (short-term) discount in exchange for a longer deal.
Cousins will be fine. He made 20-million guaranteed this year. His next contract will be looking for around 50-million guaranteed on a long term (5-year) deal.

I could retire on 70 million.

I do not see the Redskins giving him 50-million guaranteed money. Some team will though.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-12-02, 13:49

MSU addict wrote:
NigelUno wrote:KC and his agent need to get a 5-6 year deal done after this season. Getting the franchise tag worked out for him this year. He's an injury away from costing himself a $100-120 million deal. He might need to give the Redskins a little (short-term) discount in exchange for a longer deal.
Cousins will be fine. He made 20-million guaranteed this year. His next contract will be looking for around 50-million guaranteed on a long term (5-year) deal.

I could retire on 70 million.

I do not see the Redskins giving him 50-million guaranteed money. Some team will though.

NFL players get hurt all the time. Playing on a yearly contract has risks.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-12-02, 13:50

NigelUno wrote:
MSU addict wrote:Romo should give his next team 2-3 good games before his season ending injury.

KC and his agent need to get a 5-6 year deal done after this season. Getting the franchise tag worked out for him this year. He's an injury away from costing himself a $100-120 million deal. He might need to give the Redskins a little (short-term) discount in exchange for a longer deal.

If it were me, I'd tell the WA front office to take a couple mil per year off the top to free up room to build a better OLine and defense. Help the team and get great PR.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2016-12-02, 13:55

NigelUno wrote:NFL players get hurt all the time.  Playing on a yearly contract has risks.  

tGreenWay wrote:If it were me, I'd tell the WA front office to take a couple mil per year off the top to free up room to build a better OLine and defense. Help the team and get great PR.
I don't know how else to say this - it is all about the guaranteed money.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-12-02, 14:36

MSU addict wrote:
NigelUno wrote:NFL players get hurt all the time.  Playing on a yearly contract has risks.  

tGreenWay wrote:If it were me, I'd tell the WA front office to take a couple mil per year off the top to free up room to build a better OLine and defense. Help the team and get great PR.

And he's got $58M guaranteed with the franchise tag. I think they would pay him the $34M in year 2. Otherwise he walks away for no compensation and the Redskins have a fan AND a player revolt on their hands. He's got them over the proverbial barrel and both sides know it. The question is how much is Cousins willing to give back? My bet is that it takes $75M guaranteed and $25M per year to sign him.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2016-12-02, 14:54

LooseGoose wrote:And he's got $58M guaranteed with the franchise tag. I think they would pay him the $34M in year 2. Otherwise he walks away for no compensation and the Redskins have a fan AND a player revolt on their hands. He's got them over the proverbial barrel and both sides know it. The question is how much is Cousins willing to give back? My bet is that it takes $75M guaranteed and $25M per year to sign him.
34-million is about 10-million more than the highest paid NFL player (Luck) and is a 100% cap hit. They cannot do that.

Even if they were stupid enough to do that, they HAVE to let him walk after that. It won't happen.

75-million is 10-million more than any other player's guaranteed money.

Again, that is why I believe the Redskins let him walk this year and sigh a free agent QB for next year.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-12-02, 14:57

MSU addict wrote:

Correct. Which is why he needs to do a 5-6 year deal with guaranteed money as opposed to risking that by getting hurt.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-12-27, 10:56

Washington Redskins ‏@Redskins  23h23 hours ago
By air & by ground, Kirk Cousins helped propel #Redskins to a W over Chicago.

redsk.in/2hX4ub9

Kirk Cousins new contract $18-20 million projected per year. Not bad. - Page 2 C0ni6NHVQAAU0wX
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2016-12-27, 13:17

Guaranteed money is the only thing that matters in the NFL. I bet the Skins could sign him to 6 year $16 million/yr if he gets $90 million guaranteed.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-12-27, 13:19

I hate that I need him to lose for insurance on Green Bay next weekend.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2016-12-27, 13:39

It's impossible for Green Bay to win the NFC Central.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2016-12-27, 21:48

Izzo Court wrote:It's impossible for Green Bay to win the NFC Central.

Well, it is really tough to win the NFC Central these days.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-12-27, 23:33

StylesGShmooth wrote:
Izzo Court wrote:It's impossible for Green Bay to win the NFC Central.

Well, it is really tough to win the NFC Central these days.

Ain't nobody going to claim the NFC Central title this year.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2016-12-28, 10:46

The NFC Central, impossible to claim it is.Kirk Cousins new contract $18-20 million projected per year. Not bad. - Page 2 4f15506d125de319e70f26351c12859190ee32ce5239a7af515af5bb59464c8d
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2016-12-28, 22:50

Izzo Court wrote:The NFC Central, impossible to claim it is.Kirk Cousins new contract $18-20 million projected per year. Not bad. - Page 2 4f15506d125de319e70f26351c12859190ee32ce5239a7af515af5bb59464c8d

Much more difficult to claim than the NFC North, that's for sure.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-07, 08:09

From Shefter...

Kirk Cousins contract talks with Redskins taking encouraging tone

While it doesn't mean there will be a long-term deal by the July 15 deadline, there has been an improved, encouraging tone in the contract talks between the Washington Redskins and quarterback Kirk Cousins, league sources told ESPN.

One reason for the positive outlook is that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has gotten involved, making it known how much Washington wants to re-sign Cousins.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-18, 22:26

Kirk Cousins facing more drama in Washington than just his contract and new receivers
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-08-19, 12:27

After his first NFL contract as a 4th round pick Cousins is on track to make about $41M for the '16 and '17 season as a franchise player.

Financially there shouldn't be a lot of drama.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-08-19, 14:03

The guy is so capable in so many ways, hell I wouldn't hold it against him if he folded his tent after this year and went any direction he desires.

Something I don't get is the"leverage" that he has next season. Can someone explain that to me?
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-08-19, 14:30

SawGreen wrote:The guy is so capable in so many ways, hell I wouldn't hold it against him if he folded his tent after this year and went any direction he desires.

Something I don't get is the"leverage" that he has next season. Can someone explain that to me?
The Redskins have three options next year, none of which are great.

1) Franchise him with the exclusive tag and pay him 34.4 million (way more than any player in the NFL has ever been paid) for one year.  

2) Franchise him the transition tag.  It allows him to negotiate  a contract with any team.  The Redskins could match the offer but the offer could be structured so the Redskins would have a very difficult time matching it.  If he does not come to terms with another team, the Redskins must pay him 28.7 million for next year. This would also be more than any player has made in the NFL.

In either scenario he becomes an unrestricted free agent after next year.  He cannot be tagged again.  

3) Do not tag him and allow him to become an unrestricted free agent.  The first true unrestricted starting QB to hit the market.  

Essentially in any scenario, barring injury he will likely be the highest paid NFL next season.

His leverage is that he has no incentive to sign a long term deal for under 28 million a year.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-11, 10:09

DESTINATION COUSINS
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-10-11, 10:45

Cousins to Pitt and reunite with Bell.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-10-11, 10:50

LooseGoose wrote:DESTINATION COUSINS

Not many great options out there. Fuck, the jags maybe his best bet.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-11, 10:55

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:DESTINATION COUSINS

Not many great options out there. Fuck, the jags maybe his best bet.

Given that list I think I agree with you....plus no state income tax in FL would mean millions more for him.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-10-11, 11:03

Man, if you put Cousins on the Jags, Hurns and Robinson would easily be 1,000-yard receivers.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-10-11, 12:39

InTenSity wrote:Cousins to Pitt and reunite with Bell.
I agree.  I would put it as his third most likely landing zone and ESPN ignores it.

Roethlisberger is having an awful year - not just the game against Jaguars.  He just said he is still committed 100% to this season but he is 35 and has mulled over retirement in the past.  I have to believe there is a good chance he retires and if he does, I see Cousins being their preferred option.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next