Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

+17
Watch Out Pylon!
Cameron
SpartanInNH
xsanguine
Floyd Robertson
GRR Spartan
Gomer
Vlad
steveschneider
Rocinante
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
pulling69
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
Dr. Strangelove
Tim Wakefield
21 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead Empty Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

Post by Tim Wakefield 2/13/2016, 5:01 pm

LINK

RIP.  Can someone who knows our judicial branch better than I do explain to me what happens now?
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead Empty Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2/13/2016, 5:06 pm

POTUS names a nominee to be confirmed by the Senate. There is no way in hell the gop senate will confirm a liberal to replace scalia. Next Prez will pick and scotus will run with 8 justices until then.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead Empty Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

Post by DWags 2/13/2016, 5:08 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:POTUS names a nominee to be confirmed by the Senate. There is no way in hell the gop senate will confirm a liberal to replace scalia. Next Prez will pick and scotus will run with 8 justices until then.

He could pick a moderate.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2/13/2016, 5:09 pm

Or better yet, someone who interprets the constitution without bias.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2/13/2016, 5:10 pm

DWags wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:POTUS names a nominee to be confirmed by the Senate. There is no way in hell the gop senate will confirm a liberal to replace scalia. Next Prez will pick and scotus will run with 8 justices until then.

That's not the Chicago way - no way Barry does that.

GOP will wait and see what happens in November.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2/13/2016, 5:17 pm

In case you were wondering: When the Court divides 4-4 the lower court opinion is affirmed without creating any Supreme Court precedent
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2/13/2016, 5:18 pm

DWags wrote:

I'll just echo Strange loves post from the other side.

No way the Republican Congress approves of anyone he nominates. He could nominate Rick Perry and they'd be all "there goes Barry picking another goddamn liberal to ruin this country"
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2/13/2016, 5:19 pm

Is this a Mama Cass situation? Found dead? Was he banged to death by hookers and ham sandwich?
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2/13/2016, 5:23 pm

This is what's going to happen. It shouldn't, but it will.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2/13/2016, 5:25 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:

No way the Republican Congress approves of anyone he nominates. He could nominate Rick Perry and they'd be all "there goes Barry picking another goddamn liberal to ruin this country"

This all day and night.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2/13/2016, 5:26 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
DWags wrote:

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead 502811600 You say that as if Connies don't do the same thing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2/13/2016, 5:27 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
DWags wrote:

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead 502811600 You say that as if Connies don't do the same thing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2/13/2016, 5:27 pm

As we look ahead to the post-midterm landscape, we could be in uncharted territory. Indeed, 1895 was the last time a Democratic president nominated a justice facing a Republican Senate (44 Republicans joined 40 Democrats and six senators of other parties to approve Grover Cleveland’s nomination of Rufus Peckham). Since then, every other Democratic president with a Supreme Court vacancy faced a friendly Senate.

There are, of course, several examples of the reverse dynamic, where Republican presidents faced Democratic Senates: Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush. As we know, the nominees weren't all successful (Robert Bork) but the presidents eventually found nominees that Senate Democrats considered acceptable (Justice Anthony Kennedy).

Given the already toxic atmosphere in Congress over the politicization of the judiciary, some scholars are already predicting that Republicans will refuse to schedule hearings on President Obama’s Supreme Court nominees if they’re not “acceptable” to the GOP.

But there’s a more optimistic possibility: Democrats can point to bipartisan Supreme Court confirmations, like justices Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia, where they have voted for nominees with whom they disagree. And there is next to zero historical evidence of gridlock causing extended vacancies (although that could be plausibly chalked up to the fact that we didn't experience divided government very often in the early years of the republic). Even Obama himself, in a recent interview with The New Yorker, suggested there would be pressure for Republicans to approve a nominee, saying that intense media coverage of SCOTUS nominations "means that some of the shenanigans that were taking place in terms of blocking appointments, stalling appointments [to the lower courts], I think are more difficult to pull off during a Supreme Court nomination process."

On the other hand, there’s no particular grounds for optimism with a Democratic president and Republican Senate. With their vitriolic obstruction throughout the Obama presidency, including a fight over the debt ceiling and a government shutdown, some Senate Republicans have shown a willingness to paralyze the basic functions of government—and might be comfortable with an evenly divided Court of eight justices, which could mean repeated 4-4 deadlocks and opinions that lack precedential value. There may be a parallel in the recent drawn-out fight over the D.C. Circuit, in which Republicans accused Obama of "packing" the court—he wasn't—and were perfectly happy to leave seats unfilled. That prompted Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to eliminate the filibuster with the nuclear option, which in turn led to Republicans promises of retaliation.

That retaliation may come at the expense of a fully functioning Supreme Court.

https://newrepublic.com/article/120102/republican-senate-2014-could-stall-supreme-court-vacancies
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2/13/2016, 5:28 pm

DWags wrote:

You never got back to me on that article, Travis. Just add that to the Doritos issue.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2/13/2016, 5:31 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

You never got back to me on that article, Travis. Just add that to the Doritos issue.

I'm about halfway through it turtleneck. I've been busy. I'm sorry. I will get back to you. I promise.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2/13/2016, 5:33 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

I'm about halfway through it turtleneck. I've been busy. I'm sorry. I will get back to you. I promise.

We are all busy. I'm pretty sure Suu Kyi will not mind you doing a little reading during your visit.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2/13/2016, 5:33 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Not saying they don't and if it had been Ginsburg who died they'd let O make a pick. However since an Obama replacement of Scalia would change the balance I'm saying they'll roll the dice and wait.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/13/2016, 5:38 pm

Tim Wakefield wrote:LINK

RIP.  Can someone who knows our judicial branch better than I do explain to me what happens now?

OMG.....huge.

Obama nominates his replacement.

Rock ribbed conservative so a definite shift in the court.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/13/2016, 5:41 pm

It is quite sad that the Supreme Court has turned into a policy making system.  This was never the intentions of our founding fathers and liberals have blatantly abused the Supreme Court to pass new policies that are supposed to be passed by congress.  This country is a shame. FYI, ill never post here again if Obama is able to appoint some one. He is the lamest duck President in the history of the world. Fuck the Supreme Court, you are not a legislative body.  America will be great again soon.  Fuck liberals, Fuck the Supreme Court and fuck illegal executive orders. Fuck them all.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2/13/2016, 5:41 pm

This makes the presidential elections infinitely more important.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2/13/2016, 5:45 pm

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:It is quite sad that the Supreme Court has turned into a policy making system.  This was never the intentions of our founding fathers and liberals have blatantly abused the Supreme Court to pass new policies that are supposed to be passed by congress.  This country is a shame. FYI, ill never post here again if Obama is able to appoint some one. He is the lamest duck President in the history of the world. Fuck the Supreme Court, you are not a legislative body.  America will be great again soon.  Fuck liberals, Fuck the Supreme Court and fuck illegal executive orders.  Fuck them all.

It's like you pick up your PLS 100 textbook and just start posting shit.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/13/2016, 5:48 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
SpartanDawgs265 wrote:It is quite sad that the Supreme Court has turned into a policy making system.  This was never the intentions of our founding fathers and liberals have blatantly abused the Supreme Court to pass new policies that are supposed to be passed by congress.  This country is a shame. FYI, ill never post here again if Obama is able to appoint some one. He is the lamest duck President in the history of the world. Fuck the Supreme Court, you are not a legislative body.  America will be great again soon.  Fuck liberals, Fuck the Supreme Court and fuck illegal executive orders.  Fuck them all.

I'm really smart mmmkayy? Are founding fathers would be committing suicide if they knew what liberals were doing with the Supreme Court.  They warned that a Court with too much power would be detrimental to this great nation.  It's time to make america great again.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2/13/2016, 5:50 pm

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I'm really smart mmmkayy? Are founding fathers would be committing suicide if they knew what liberals were doing with the Supreme Court.  They warned that a Court with too much power would be detrimental to this great nation.  It's time to make america great again.
Claims to be really smart, does not know when to use Our vs Are.....
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2/13/2016, 5:50 pm

What are the odds Obama himself ends up getting the job?
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/13/2016, 5:52 pm

pulling69 wrote:
SpartanDawgs265 wrote:

Claims to be really smart, does not know when to use Our vs Are.....

Don't come to the big boys table, you are not knowledgeable.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2/13/2016, 5:52 pm

Tim Wakefield wrote:What are the odds Obama himself ends up getting the job?
Less than zero.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2/13/2016, 5:52 pm

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:It is quite sad that the Supreme Court has turned into a policy making system.  This was never the intentions of our founding fathers and liberals have blatantly abused the Supreme Court to pass new policies that are supposed to be passed by congress.  This country is a shame. FYI, ill never post here again if Obama is able to appoint some one. He is the lamest duck President in the history of the world. Fuck the Supreme Court, you are not a legislative body.  America will be great again soon.  Fuck liberals, Fuck the Supreme Court and fuck illegal executive orders. Fuck them all.

Feel free to leave anytime.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/13/2016, 5:52 pm

Rocinante wrote:This makes the presidential elections infinitely more important.

Well the next President was always likely to get 2-4 appointments - Scalia now dead @ 79 - Ginsburg 82 - Breyer 77 - Kennedy 79
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/13/2016, 5:54 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
SpartanDawgs265 wrote:It is quite sad that the Supreme Court has turned into a policy making system.  This was never the intentions of our founding fathers and liberals have blatantly abused the Supreme Court to pass new policies that are supposed to be passed by congress.  This country is a shame. FYI, ill never post here again if Obama is able to appoint some one. He is the lamest duck President in the history of the world. Fuck the Supreme Court, you are not a legislative body.  America will be great again soon.  Fuck liberals, Fuck the Supreme Court and fuck illegal executive orders. Fuck them all.

Feel free to leave anytime.

Stop quoting me bitch. Nothing is free.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2/13/2016, 5:54 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:This makes the presidential elections infinitely more important.

Well the next President was always likely to get 2-4 appointments - Scalia now dead @ 79 - Ginsburg 82 - Breyer 77 - Kennedy 79

Exactly. Although late 70s isn't really that old anymore.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2/13/2016, 5:55 pm

Please stop replying to the kid. Adults are talking here.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/13/2016, 5:57 pm

Rocinante wrote:Please stop replying to the kid. Adults are talking here.

Quite funny since I have more credentials than any of you on this subject. Suck on deese nuts you fucking tree hugging fuck.

Last edited by SpartanDawgs265 on 2/13/2016, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/13/2016, 5:57 pm

Here's the political calculus for Obama/Democrats.

If he nominates a blatant liberal like Sotomayer/Kagan/Ginsburg/Breyer then the Republican Senate will come under enormous pressure from their base not to approve them until the election and if the R's win to never approve them.

If he nominates a centrist/moderate there will be some pressure for the Senate to approve - especially if he goes with some sort of "historic" type nominee - Hispanic/Jewish/Gay/Woman/Black - (and yes I know none of them would be firsts).

So do they go for the liberal and risk getting nothing or go for the moderate and move the court left? Because any moderate definitely moves the court left from Scalia.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2/13/2016, 5:57 pm

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:

Quite funny since I have more credentials than any of you on this subject. Suck on deese nuts.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead 502811600

Excellent point.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/13/2016, 5:58 pm

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

But they don't have to die, they do retire. We have 2 retired right now that I can think of off the top of my head - O'Connor and Souter.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2/13/2016, 6:00 pm

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:

Quite funny since I have more credentials than any of you on this subject. Suck on deese nuts you fucking tree hugging fuck.
This is true, none of us have been fucked in the ass as much as he has.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2/13/2016, 6:00 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Here's the political calculus for Obama/Democrats.

If he nominates a blatant liberal like Sotomayer/Kagan/Ginsburg/Breyer then the Republican Senate will come under enormous pressure from their base not to approve them until the election and if the R's win to never approve them.

If he nominates a centrist/moderate there will be some pressure for the Senate to approve - especially if he goes with some sort of "historic" type nominee - Hispanic/Jewish/Gay/Woman/Black - (and yes I know none of them would be firsts).

So do they go for the liberal and risk getting nothing or go for the moderate and move the court left? Because any moderate definitely moves the court left from Scalia.

I don't know man. I feel like there's no way they let any Obama nominee even get to the confirmation hearing process.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2/13/2016, 6:00 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

But they don't have to die, they do retire. We have 2 retired right now that I can think of off the top of my head - O'Connor and Souter.

Steven is still alive. I think those are the only three living retirees.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2/13/2016, 6:01 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead 502811600 I thought the same thing. He's going to be ranting to his "bros" the rest of the weekend, or until he forgets what he read.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/13/2016, 6:02 pm

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Here's the political calculus for Obama/Democrats.

So do they go for the liberal and risk getting nothing or go for the moderate and move the court left?   Because any moderate definitely moves the court left from Scalia.

I don't know man. I feel like there's no way they let any Obama nominee even get to the confirmation hearing process.

I could think of a couple names that might apply.....think former Senators and the deference they show each other.   Evan Bayh - Joe Lieberman - Could probably think of more and better with time.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next