Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality?

+16
Banks2Mason
NigelUno
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
GRR Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
Jake from State Farm
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Cameron
tGreenWay
Tim Wakefield
Watch Out Pylon!
Turtleneck
duffy munn
Robert J Sakimano
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? Empty Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 10 May 2016 - 12:19

I have to go with Tim Staudt just because he truly doesn't seem to care about his job.

Fred Huemann takes up a lot of space. He's also rude.. and someone needs to remind him that he covers sports on TV for an entry-level market.

All of the radio guys are equally befuddling with their nonsense, though I do get a kick out of Mad Dog (I mean that.. I really do).

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? Empty Re: Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality?

Post by duffy munn Tue 10 May 2016 - 12:19

You
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? Empty Re: Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 10 May 2016 - 12:25

duffy munn wrote:You
Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? 502811600

in all honesty, I figure I do as good of a job as anyone else around here.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 10 May 2016 - 12:28

Do you guys get Bill Simonson? That guy is great. Does real solid and objective work.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 10 May 2016 - 12:33

Turtleneck wrote:Do you guys get Bill Simonson? That guy is great. Does real solid and objective work.
I'm not sure.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 10 May 2016 - 12:44

Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? Cap253
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 10 May 2016 - 13:07

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? Cap253

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 10 May 2016 - 13:14

this seems like an appropriate thread to also acknowledge the once glorious but now defunct "Turkey Sandwich with Timbo" podcasts.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Tue 10 May 2016 - 14:10

I like Jack.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 10 May 2016 - 14:30

Robert J Sakimano wrote:this seems like an appropriate thread to also acknowledge the once glorious but now defunct "Turkey Sandwich with Timbo" podcasts.

Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? 4177874726 Too soon.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 10 May 2016 - 14:36

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:this seems like an appropriate thread to also acknowledge the once glorious but now defunct "Turkey Sandwich with Timbo" podcasts.

Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? 4177874726 Too soon.
Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 10 May 2016 - 14:36

Tim Wakefield wrote:I like Jack.
this should be their theme song..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 7:54

Fred Heumann no longer with WLNS.

Sounds like it was very abrupt and sudden. Won't miss him at all (obnoxious and arrogant) but I do wonder what happened.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 8:37

Someday I will go to Reno's and tell 'em Mad Dog sent me.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 9:08

Cameron wrote:Someday I will go to Reno's and tell 'em Mad Dog sent me.
lived in EL for 24+ years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to Reno's. Place gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Seems like Fred's main hangout is the Steakhouse Philly place on Kalamazoo (and I really mean "hang out".. that dude literally hangs out of whatever he's wearing).. though I've seen him around Dagwood's as well.

my suspicion is, at the very least, some inappropriate comments finally caught up with him in the era of #MeToo movement. He always seemed to think he was a bit too good for the small market of Lansing.. I always wondered how the hell he had a job at all.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 9:27

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
lived in EL for 24+ years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to Reno's. Place gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Seems like Fred's main hangout is the Steakhouse Philly place on Kalamazoo (and I really mean "hang out".. that dude literally hangs out of whatever he's wearing).. though I've seen him around Dagwood's as well.

my suspicion is, at the very least, some inappropriate comments finally caught up with him in the era of #MeToo movement. He always seemed to think he was a bit too good for the small market of Lansing.. I always wondered how the hell he had a job at all.

All true. I like Fred but the rumors are swirling that his dismissal has something to do with sexual harassment. He is always a little creepy with Sheri.

Hopefully Uncle Fred doesn't go broke playing keno.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 9:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

He was on WJBK-TV in Detroit for a while, or maybe it was WDIV. He had his chance in a bigger market.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 9:39

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: lived in EL for 24+ years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to Reno's. Place gives me the heebie-jeebies.

All true. I like Fred but the rumors are swirling that his dismissal has something to do with sexual harassment. He is always a little creepy with Sheri.

Hopefully Uncle Fred doesn't go broke playing keno.
creepy with Sheri and Audrey and Alex, as well - and the self-imposed "Uncle Fred" moniker takes the creep factor to a whole other level.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 9:49

Not making fun of the local people at Lansing, but growing up in Manistee and seeing the local 9&10 news cast, I didn't realize how cheesy it was until I went to college and watched the Lansing stuff. Then, moving to Detroit, I didn't realize how cheesy Lansing people were, until I watched Detroit news casts. There is a definite pecking order as far as professionalism and out put in the various markets, and you can really tell. Bigger markets attract better talent. Water finds it's level I guess. And believe me, I'm not touting Detroit news casts as these great professional news casters.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 9:54

DWags wrote:Not making fun of the local people at Lansing, but growing up in Manistee and seeing the local 9&10 news cast, I didn't realize how cheesy it was until I went to college and watched the Lansing stuff. Then, moving to Detroit, I didn't realize how cheesy Lansing people were, until I watched Detroit news casts. There is a definite pecking order as far as professionalism and out put in the various markets, and you can really tell. Bigger markets attract better talent. Water finds it's level I guess. And believe me, I'm not touting Detroit news casts as these great professional news casters.

I'll watch the Flint stations before the Lansing stations. Lansing station at 6 in the morning is usually "weather on the six" which involves 4 minutes of giving the temperature at various intersections in Lansing, two or three "news" people laughing at each others lame jokes for a couple of minutes, four minutes of commercials and then back to the weather.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 10:10

Jake from State Farm wrote:
DWags wrote:Not making fun of the local people at Lansing, but growing up in Manistee and seeing the local 9&10 news cast, I didn't realize how cheesy it was until I went to college and watched the Lansing stuff. Then, moving to Detroit, I didn't realize how cheesy Lansing people were, until I watched Detroit news casts. There is a definite pecking order as far as professionalism and out put in the various markets, and you can really tell. Bigger markets attract better talent. Water finds it's level I guess. And believe me, I'm not touting Detroit news casts as these great professional news casters.

I'll watch the Flint stations before the Lansing stations. Lansing station at 6 in the morning is usually "weather on the six" which involves 4 minutes of giving the temperature at various intersections in Lansing, two or three "news" people laughing at each others lame jokes for a couple of minutes, four minutes of commercials and then back to the weather.

Yeah, only time I turn on the Lansing stuff is when I'm in a hotel after a Saturday game. Both my wife and I are struck by the difference of news casts. Money because of market size has a lot to do with it Im guessing. I imagine there are a lot of young interns from MSU woking at the Lansing stations. Not quite good yet, but cutting their teeth. Flint is a bigger market isn't it?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 10:26

DWags wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

Yeah, only time I turn on the Lansing stuff is when I'm in a hotel after a Saturday game. Both my wife and I are struck by the difference of news casts. Money because of market size has a lot to do with it Im guessing. I imagine there are a lot of young interns from MSU woking at the Lansing stations. Not quite good yet, but cutting their teeth. Flint is a bigger market isn't it?

Flint area is slightly smaller than Lansing area according to the last census. Who knows why the news in Lansing is so much worse. It seems like if they aren't reading the weather they're trying to promote themselves and let us know how good they are.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 10:52

the main thing when it comes to small markets seems to be not only 'on air talent', but also the level of production. WLNS in Lansing actually has some decent anchors, weather folks, reporters - but sometimes, especially on weekends, the production seems pretty amateur.

but, yeah, overall you don't start out at WLNS out of college and retire there.. especially in this day and age. People like Staudt who, say what you will, has lived himself a really good life. Dude grew up in East Lansing, went to ELHS, went to MSU and has basically covered local sports his entire life.. that's all he's ever done... raise a family, hang out at high school sporting events, MSU events, hosts a sports radio show, written some books about MSU sports/athletes, and done sports on local TV. For, I think, about 50 years.

not gonna see that anymore.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 13:27

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? Cap253

No fucking clue what I was talking about here.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 16:55

I dunno man... The morning show on 12 from Flint is a train wreck. The night news is ok...

Angie Hendershot is rocking a solid body....
Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? Angie
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 18:34

Butter face
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri 4 Oct 2019 - 20:43

Back in the day when Timmy Staudt joined Channel 6 as their “Sports Director” he had an Ace in the hole.

His MSU marketing professor father had been hired to be the VP of Marketing for GM’s Chevrolet division. That’s why you always heard No Doubts with Kouts on Channel 6. Whoever had the sales job selling ad time for the 6 & 11 news had a very solid account and the station GM never had to worry how they would cover their Sports Director’s salary
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 16 Oct 2019 - 19:31

Anyone ever hear what happened with Huemann?

I'd still be willing to bet the mortgage on the theory that women at the station got fed up with incessant commentary.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 16 Oct 2019 - 19:37

Mike Valenti.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 0:43

Hondo Carpenter.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 0:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Anyone ever hear what happened with Huemann?

I'd still be willing to bet the mortgage on the theory that women at the station got fed up with incessant commentary.

Jingles knows but he's not telling.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 1:07

Turtleneck wrote:Do you guys get Bill Simonson? That guy is great. Does real solid and objective work.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 1:23

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I dunno man... The morning show on 12 from Flint is a train wreck. The night news is ok...

Angie Hendershot is rocking a solid body....
Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? Angie

No... just, no.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 8:04

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Hondo Carpenter.

Ok, now you are trolling.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 8:27

duffy munn wrote:

Jingles knows but he's not telling.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu 17 Oct 2019 - 8:41

Mid-Michigan Folks - Who Is Your Favorite Local Sports Media Personality? 4113017228
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 25 Oct 2019 - 15:54

To no one’s surprise, Audrey gets Freddie’s old gig:

Audrey Dahlgren succeeds Fred Heumann as sports director at WLNS
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2019/10/24/audrey-dahlgren-succeeds-fred-heumann-sports-director-wlns/4087530002/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 25 Oct 2019 - 16:24

tGreenWay wrote:To no one’s surprise, Audrey gets Freddie’s old gig:

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2019/10/24/audrey-dahlgren-succeeds-fred-heumann-sports-director-wlns/4087530002/
she does a good job.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri 25 Oct 2019 - 16:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:To no one’s surprise, Audrey gets Freddie’s old gig:

she does a good job.

Agree. Uncle Fred hired a couple of good ones. I bet "Aud" follows the path of Lisa Byington and goes on to bigger and better things quickly.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Fri 25 Oct 2019 - 16:54

it's great that that POS got moved to an AM station that cuts out around Sparta.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next