Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Nairn's performance against Minny change your thoughts about the starting lineup?

+15
AnomanderRake
duffy munn
Watch Out Pylon!
Death Roe
InTenSity
DWags
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
NigelUno
GRR Spartan
Steve81
Clarett's Folly
MattyFresh
Herbie Green
Da Mayor
19 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Does Nairn's performance against Minny change your thoughts about the starting lineup? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does Nairn's performance against Minny change your thoughts about the starting lineup?

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-12-29, 10:33

In the perfect world we would start Nairn against teams that play at a faster pace like Kentucky/Duke where defense and transition offense are critical, and we would start Winston against teams that play at a slower pace like Wisconsin where offensive efficiency is more important.

The bigger question for me after the Minnesota game, is how will Alvin Ellis' minutes change moving forward? He outplayed all of our underclassmen guards by orders of magnitude and should be rewarded with more play time until proven otherwise.

Starting guys like McQuaid who plays slow and scared, or Langford who is struggling on offense seems insane to me. I don't care which PG starts because they both will get their share of play time and bring a lot to the table, but if Ellis doesn't start the next game I'll be shaking my head.

AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Does Nairn's performance against Minny change your thoughts about the starting lineup? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does Nairn's performance against Minny change your thoughts about the starting lineup?

Post by duffy munn 2016-12-29, 10:49

AnomanderRake wrote:In the perfect world we would start Nairn against teams that play at a faster pace like Kentucky/Duke where defense and transition offense are critical, and we would start Winston against teams that play at a slower pace like Wisconsin where offensive efficiency is more important.

The bigger question for me after the Minnesota game, is how will Alvin Ellis' minutes change moving forward? He outplayed all of our underclassmen guards by orders of magnitude and should be rewarded with more play time until proven otherwise.

Starting guys like McQuaid who plays slow and scared, or Langford who is struggling on offense seems insane to me. I don't care which PG starts because they both will get their share of play time and bring a lot to the table, but if Ellis doesn't start the next game I'll be shaking my head.

I can see Izzo going to really small ball by playing/starting Ellis at the 4.

Winston
Langford
McQauid
Ellis
Ward

Hopefully next week it will be Bridges for MM.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-12-29, 10:50

Another myth is that Tum is a good passer on the break. He isn't.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-12-29, 10:57

Herbie Green wrote:Another myth is that Tum is a good passer on the break. He isn't.

Sure helps to have Miles on the floor. Tum looked pretty damn good on the break then.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2016-12-29, 11:41

I think Izzo should go with the rare "reverse" starting lineup, i.e., Tum at center and Ward at PG. The other teams will be so confused it just might work.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-12-29, 11:51

duffy munn wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Another myth is that Tum is a good passer on the break. He isn't.

Sure helps to have Miles on the floor. Tum looked pretty damn good on the break then.

I don't recall any dimes. Winston is special like magic and mateen
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-12-29, 12:30

duffy munn wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Another myth is that Tum is a good passer on the break.  He isn't.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve81 2016-12-29, 14:18

Tum shouldn't be in the game at crunch time also. His free throw accuracy is bad.
Steve81
Steve81
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-12-29, 14:31

Steve81 wrote:Tum shouldn't be in the game at crunch time also. His free throw accuracy is bad.

So you're not happy with 3/10?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve81 2016-12-29, 14:37

So you're not happy with 3/10?[/quote] Izzo must be going crazy with the free throw issues.
Steve81
Steve81
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-12-29, 14:49

Steve81 wrote:

So you're not happy with 3/10?
Izzo must be going crazy with the free throw issues.[/quote]

I just don't get it. Most players on my AAU/high school teams could shoot 70% or better from the charity stripe...No excuse to shoot less than 70% at the college level, and guards should be hitting 80%+.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-12, 12:34

Suspect
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-01-12, 12:41

Msu matches up well with Minnesota. It doesnt match up against penn state. With no big men in the middle msu will struggle against the better teams coming up.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-01-12, 12:43

Steve81 wrote:Tum shouldn't be in the game at crunch time also. His free throw accuracy is bad.

Oh look the two shills are back from the rcmb to support Cum Cum.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-12, 12:46

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-01-12, 12:46

tanfan! wrote:

Sigh.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2017-01-12, 12:55

Death Roe wrote:
tanfan! wrote:

Sigh.

Nigel is getting eviscerated by Spartan punk.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-01-12, 12:56

TanFan has been and will always seek attention while insulting others.

He's like the garbage eating raccoons in the Geico ad. Its what he does.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-12, 13:08

Langford had a great game.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-01-12, 13:15

NigelUno wrote:Langford had a great game.

Goins had a quiet near-double-double off the bench.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2017-01-12, 13:38

tanfan! wrote:Msu matches up well with Minnesota. It doesnt match up against penn state. With no big men in the middle msu will struggle against the better teams coming up.

Minnesota actually has a lot of size Tanny, and we battled well down low all game. It helped that their bigs had a ton of foul trouble, too.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-12, 16:03

Da Mayor wrote:
tanfan! wrote:Msu matches up well with Minnesota. It doesnt match up against penn state. With no big men in the middle msu will struggle against the better teams coming up.

Minnesota actually has a lot of size Tanny, and we battled well down low all game. It helped that their bigs had a ton of foul trouble, too.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-01-12, 16:21

tanfan! wrote:
Death Roe wrote:

Sigh.

I've never seen Spartan Punk say anything remotely positive about MSU athletics. Does Nairn's performance against Minny change your thoughts about the starting lineup? - Page 2 502811600
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-01-12, 16:48

tanfan! wrote:
Death Roe wrote:

Sigh.

Does Nairn's performance against Minny change your thoughts about the starting lineup? - Page 2 264
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-12, 16:59

Tum is playing well. But I don't know if that is a more encouraging development or more discouraging because it is more the result of Winston's poor play the last couple of games.
Winston is the one that brings everyone else up another level but if it helps to bring him off the bench then ok I guess for now. Fortunately this team doesn't seem to have egos
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-12, 17:10

Does Nairn's performance against Minny change your thoughts about the starting lineup? - Page 2 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-12, 17:38

How the hell does Tum Tum get only 1 assist last night?

Everytime he pushes the ball down the court it is a fastbreak to nowhere besides the rare few times he goes all the way himself and doesn't get it packed.

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-12, 18:26

I noticed he wasn't afraid to get in Bridges face last night. I think being a team leader is more than stats.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-12, 19:25

Herbie Green wrote:How the hell does Tum Tum get only 1 assist last night?

Everytime he pushes the ball down the court it is a fastbreak to nowhere besides the rare few times he goes all the way himself and doesn't get it packed.

Huh. I must have missed your Penn State game commentary. Or maybe you just didn't watch that game.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-12, 19:55

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:How the hell does Tum Tum get only 1 assist last night?

Huh. I must have missed your Penn State game commentary. Or maybe you just didn't watch that game.

I have tried to forget it what is your point?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-12, 20:09

DWags wrote:I noticed he wasn't afraid to get in Bridges face last night. I think being a team leader is more than stats.

Yeah but being a good passer is also an important attribute for a point guard, especially so for one that doesn't shoot.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-01-12, 20:18

Hi Herbie. :)
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-01-12, 20:32

I prefer Winston. Better player and let him grow for the future. We've been through this before with senior players.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-12, 20:35

Herbie Green wrote:
DWags wrote:I noticed he wasn't afraid to get in Bridges face last night. I think being a team leader is more than stats.

Yeah but being a good passer is also an important attribute for a point guard, especially so for one that doesn't shoot.

I thought we won by 18.

And I guess you did miss the Penn State game. I think it's still on WatchESPN if you want to see it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-12, 20:36

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I prefer Winston. Better player and let him grow for the future. We've been through this before with senior players.

They will both get plenty of minutes.

I'd mention that Izzo seems to like Tum Tum, but I think we've been over it before.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-12, 21:11

I'm not here to get in this fight over our favorite point guard, but I just want the guy who is doing the best to be in the game. Not because we're building for the future, not because we're loyal to seniors (is he a junior?), but just play the hot fricken hand that game. Don't ask me how you do that. I know that when I was coaching, I'd play two tailbacks, by the end of the second quarter I pretty much knew who was having a better game, both blocking and finding open field. I don't know how Izzo does shit, and I certainly don't know how the fuck you can tell that, but it seems neither one is an all American or even a first team all conference guy this year. We know that Winston has a bigger upside and ceiling than Tum Tum, but I don't give a fuck about that. I want to get into the tournament and win this year. I just hope Izzo can figure out who is doing the best. I know I've thought he's fucked up with playing time, but who the fuck am I. All I know is I want Bridges and Ward to play 37 minutes each. fuck, I'd ride them till they were exhausted and puking.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-12, 21:45

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

I thought we won by 18.

And I guess you did miss the Penn State game. I think it's still on WatchESPN if you want to see it.

Why do you have to play 20 questions to drag out every one of your assinine arguments? If you are talking about Tum Tum's big 13 point night I already went over that the last time he scored 13 points. And then what happened?
He has now scored 13 points in three games this season. But he has scored 5 or less in the other 15. All told that puts him at a career high 4.3 points a game this season. Is there some kind of Kaplan course you can take about basketball so you can follow along?
I am afraid I don't have any more patience to wait for you to catch up from a month ago as I moved on to passing a week ago. Watching Tum Tum push the ball and never dish for an easy hoop is driving me nuts. For a player of his size and speed it should be one of his biggest weapons to be a D1 point guard. Then I look it up and he had 1 assist. He had 2 in the PSU game you have been wanting so bad to talk about. He hasn't had 5 assists in a game since 12/10. Winston is averaging 5.9/game and leads the Big Ten. That's in just 20 minutes a game which is unbelievable.
Now in Tum's defense one possible explanation for his lack of assists on the break is that he is so fast maybe no one else is able to keep up and fill the lanes to be in position. I don't know.

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-12, 21:49

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I thought we won by 18.

And I guess you did miss the Penn State game.  I think it's still on WatchESPN if you want to see it.  

Why do you have to play 20 questions...

There wasn't one question in the post you responded to.

Last edited by NigelUno on 2017-01-12, 21:51; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-01-12, 21:50

Herbie you're the best. :)
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-12, 21:52

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I thought we won by 18.

And I guess you did miss the Penn State game.  I think it's still on WatchESPN if you want to see it.  

Why do you have to play 20 questions to drag out every one of your assinine arguments?  If you are talking about Tum Tum's big 13 point night I already went over that the last time he scored 13 points.  And then what happened?
He has now scored 13 points in three games this season. But he has scored 5 or less in the other 15.  All told that puts him at a career high 4.3 points a game this season.  Is there some kind of Kaplan course you can take about basketball so you can follow along?
I am afraid I don't have any more patience to wait for you to catch up from a month ago as I moved on to passing a week ago.  Watching Tum Tum push the ball and never dish for an easy hoop is driving me nuts.  For a player of his size and speed it should be one of his biggest weapons to be a D1 point guard.  Then I look it up and he had 1 assist.  He had 2 in the PSU game you have been wanting so bad to talk about.  He hasn't had 5 assists in a game since 12/10.  Winston is averaging 5.9/game and leads the Big Ten.  That's in just 20 minutes a game which is unbelievable.
Now in Tum's defense one possible explanation for his lack of assists on the break is that he is so fast maybe no one else is able to keep up and fill the lanes to be in position.  I don't know.

I think this is certainly what is going on Dwags  But as Cash has the higher ceiling that is the one we want performing at his highest level, especially because his play is contagious.  But that hasn't been happening the last few games.  Fortunately Tum Tum has actually elevated his play.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next