Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 8 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by The Pantry 2017-08-14, 19:03

Co-worker brought some St Louis ribs in today. Moist and Very good. Did them in his Traeger yesterday in 50 minutes at 440 with hickory pellets.

He's originally from Texas and cooked with all types of smokers. He swears by the Traeger now. Says he has a schedule of settings for all cuts of meat...claims it's so foolproof he can call his wife to put things on before he gets home.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Guest 2017-08-17, 18:29

Just got a reminder of how great BLT's are when you have garden fresh tomatoes and lettuce.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-08-17, 21:04

LooseGoose wrote:Just got a reminder of how great BLT's are when you have garden fresh tomatoes and lettuce.

My tomatoes are refusing to ripen
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-18, 16:28

Been at making desserts for tomorrow.....the results with no taste tests until tomorrow.

Peach cobbler:

Peaches...
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 AxJICrG

In the pan....
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 QoSArf7

With the topping applied...
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 W1w89n7

And out of the oven....
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 FLA7G8C

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 802SFUD
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-18, 16:29

Custard and Coconut Custard pies...

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 C9ZWugP

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 OWrFh5v
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-18, 16:30

And the new one to try.....St Louis Style Gooey butter cake...

Ready for the oven...
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 OU5DRWg

Out of the oven
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 IR8hYew
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-08-18, 18:07

All looks good, though I'm not a fan of custard.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-26, 17:58

After Wags and I misfired on meeting up last week I had extra fruit in the fridge.   Decided to use it up in a cobbler today - mostly to torment Wags, or try to.

Strawberries...
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 VXfXfui

Blueberries.....
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 GMwn3y4

Together in the bowl...
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 Ap3NZV9

And into the baking pan...........
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 8SuGXGe

Add the topping.....
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 Eqb4mjV

And out of the oven.....
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 LlJMqqu
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-26, 20:24

Turned out pretty darned juicy.....and tasty.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 XjM4TkR
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-08-26, 22:15

LooseGoose wrote:Turned out pretty darned juicy.....and tasty.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 XjM4TkR

Damn. That hurts.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-27, 10:43

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Turned out pretty darned juicy.....and tasty.

Damn. That hurts.

Sorry Wags but it had to be done. Whenever you're up here next I think I'll do the Strawberry/Blueberry mix....it's pretty tasty.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-08-27, 16:22

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Damn. That hurts.

Sorry Wags but it had to be done. Whenever you're up here next I think I'll do the Strawberry/Blueberry mix....it's pretty tasty.

Deal.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-08-27, 20:58

LooseGoose wrote:Just got a reminder of how great BLT's are when you have garden fresh tomatoes and lettuce.

Bacon is now at $6 a lb, what's up with that?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-27, 21:18

Jake from State Farm wrote:

Bacon is now at $6 a lb, what's up with that?

Ebel's just had Oscar Meyer for 10/$25 so I stocked up. I see this week they have Farmland 10/$23, I've had it and it's not bad bacon.

Lots of good meat deals at this place..... Ebel's Ad
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-09-09, 21:34

I know all of you want nothing more than a long boring story to read......so off we go. Long ago (2011) one of the things that triggered my baking/cooking thing was my general dislike of store bought bread and missing my Grandma's homemade bread. Hadn't really baked or made anything from scratch in a long time so I did a bunch of reading on Amazon and bought this breadmaker - Sunbeam 5891 2-Pound Programmable Breadmaker. I used it sporadically for a couple years until I decided if I was going to be a "serious" baker I needed to make bread the old fashioned way. So I packed the breadmaker off to my storage building.

I never did figure bread out, I fucked it up nearly every way possible and soon moved on to pies, cobblers, cookies, cakes, etc. I'd pretty much forgotten about my bread machine. I'd been renting about 1/2 my building to a guy, and he wanted the rest of it. So I agreed to go down there and clean the thing out. My entire family has used the thing for 10 years or so now, the clutter was pretty impressive when we started cleaning. Anyway, Monday or Tuesday I stumbled across my old bread machine. I wish I'd taken pictures because it looked pretty grim with a solid coating of dirt/dust. I brought it home because I'd remembered reading you could use them to make pizza dough.

After a good scrubbing, I used it for pizza dough on Tuesday night and it did a fine job on that. Then I figured since I had it here I might as well try bread again. Made a loaf on Thursday which was OK but the kids loved it and demolished it yesterday. Made another loaf tonight for BLTs and I have to admit it tastes pretty damned good. Just the shape is still a little off but I don't think there's a fix for that.

TL:DR - cheap bread machine makes homemade pizza dough and bread cheap.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 PPN7ADS

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 VVZyeGW
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-09-09, 21:39

Best smell ever. Bread baking.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-09-09, 21:41

DWags wrote:Best smell ever. Bread baking.

lol, yep. My daughter walked in the front door on Thursday night - 1st words "You're baking bread!!"

Another vivid memory of Grandma's house. I never knew her to buy a loaf from the store.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-09, 21:42

DWags wrote:Best smell ever. Bread baking.

Yes, sir.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-09, 22:02

My mom made bread. Was awesome still warm out of the oven with some butter. Sometimes made saffron bread. Not a big fan of saffron but that bread was an exception.

Never made bread but might give it a try if I could find a good, strong sourdough starter. Sourdough is the best but the stuff sold in stores is lame. Doesn't have the zing.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-09-10, 04:55

Really anything baking at home from fresh ingredients(not a store bought package) smells and tastes awesome. Elevate that another level doing it all from scratch and look out, real food. Mom used to do all sorts of baking from scratch: Pies, cookies, bread, Xmas cookies, etc. Eventually convenience won out and we were off to store bought mixes and products. Every now and then Xmas and Thanksgiving when people travel home we get mostly the homemade treatment. I lucked out being in a family that has traveled all over the world with mom picking up the local recipes: MI, CA, Hawaii, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Italy, Philippines... Luckily some of those have been written down and passed on.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-09-10, 10:35

pulling69 wrote:Really anything baking at home from fresh ingredients(not a store bought package) smells and tastes awesome. Elevate that another level doing it all from scratch and look out, real food. Mom used to do all sorts of baking from scratch: Pies, cookies, bread, Xmas cookies, etc. Eventually convenience won out and we were off to store bought mixes and products. Every now and then Xmas and Thanksgiving when people travel home we get mostly the homemade treatment. I lucked out being in a family that has traveled all over the world with mom picking up the local recipes: MI, CA, Hawaii, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Italy, Philippines... Luckily some of those have been written down and passed on.

Let/s start with something from New Zealand.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-09-10, 13:07

LooseGoose wrote:
pulling69 wrote:Really anything baking at home from fresh ingredients(not a store bought package) smells and tastes awesome. Elevate that another level doing it all from scratch and look out, real food. Mom used to do all sorts of baking from scratch: Pies, cookies, bread, Xmas cookies, etc. Eventually convenience won out and we were off to store bought mixes and products. Every now and then Xmas and Thanksgiving when people travel home we get mostly the homemade treatment. I lucked out being in a family that has traveled all over the world with mom picking up the local recipes: MI, CA, Hawaii, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Italy, Philippines... Luckily some of those have been written down and passed on.

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Pikelets
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-09-10, 17:29

pulling69 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Pikelets
You had to go to New Zealand to get a pancake recipe?
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-09-11, 01:07

Not the same thing really, also eaten with jams instead of syrup. And they are smaller.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-09-11, 10:36

pulling69 wrote:Not the same thing really, also eaten with jams instead of syrup. And they are smaller.
Not to beat a dead horse, but as maple trees are not native to New Zealand I would not expect them to eat their pancakes with maple syrup.

I make my three year-old pancakes often, so I immediately recognized it as a basic pancake recipe.  FWIW, she likes her pancakes smaller, with chocolate chips, in the shape of Mickey Mouse and generally without syrup.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-09-11, 11:28

Meh, too me(and fellow Kiwis) those are Pikelets, also the first recipe off of google. My mom has her own taught to her by her mom so Basketball We also grew up on fish and chips(insanely good fish and chips spots all over NZ), Minced meat, various lamb dishes(NZ lamb is the best), meat pies, local NZ candies you can't get anywhere else, etc. Add that to the collection of recipes mom learned from other places like Baked Pasta, Spaghetti Carbonara, Lumpia, Kalua Pork, Lau Lau Chicken, wiener schnitzel, etc etc from other places she has traveled and we ate pretty damn good growing up.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-07, 15:05

Bored today, need to burn some energy, company tonight and tomorrow to watch football.....so time to make a pie.   The daughter wants some cookies so I may get to that unless time starts moving faster.

1st up was a peach - I hate peeling those SOBs.    Then a Mincemeat/Raisin, my favorite pie.
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 Mw3pIdX
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 PUXFVej
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 8od2lp3

And the mincemeat...
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 YkUCfvh
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 NjbFwLB
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 HqTjOkV
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-10-07, 18:11

Those are some good looking pies you got there goose
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-07, 18:43

MattyFresh wrote:Those are some good looking pies you got there goose

Thanks! The out of the oven look:

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 PT4QBZy

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 R7wBYJr
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-14, 18:47

Just feasted on some ribs before the game starts.....Son in law did some good work here.   Fall off the bone tender with some mesquite chips for flavor.   Pork Ribs that were on sale for $1.49 this week at Norms.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 KG1mRnW

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 GAkoKcv

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-10-14, 18:51

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 361471007
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 22:46

Tonight. So a 4.8 lb prime rib. The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 29ggxf5
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 22:48

One cup butter 7 cloves garlic. Thyme rosemary salt pepper mix well The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 Fas9j8
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 22:49

Put mix directly on prime rib.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 30crw4g

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 2hpk7zs
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 22:52

Oven at 500. Bake five minutes per pound then shut oven off. Let sit in oven two hours. Don’t open door.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 22:53

Comes out medium rare.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 V6u8fm
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 22:54

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 2eyi5w5
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 22:54

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 2yn07r8
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 22:56

Cook risotto with it.

[img]https://2img.net/h/a63.tinypic.com/2dm9wkh.jpg[/

It was great. Didn’t like the idea of shutting the oven off two hours but it was great.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-27, 22:57

Damn that looks good Wags.

Bought a couple of butts today to do tomorrow. I'll take your Rib over them.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 25  Next