Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Guest Sat 8 Apr 2017 - 20:15

custard pies before cooking....
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 DaZBuYt

Custard pies after cooking.
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 T9U95I3
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Guest Mon 10 Apr 2017 - 12:22

If anyone is looking for a Roast for Easter, I see Aldi is running $5.99 on Rib roast starting Weds. Meijer has them for $6.99.
Both pretty good prices.

http://weeklyads.aldi.us/Aldi/BrowseByPage/Index/?StoreID=2624266&PromotionCode=Aldi-170412INS&PromotionViewMode=1
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Apr 2017 - 14:36

Some thermometers in today's Amazon deals - don't know if these are good prices or not.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer-Stainless/dp/B017613C3C

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wireless-Digital-Kitchen-Thermometer/dp/B014DAVCP4
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 20 Apr 2017 - 18:37

Trying to stay away from the vending machines at work.  Anyone try one of those silicone microwave popcorn bowls?

https://www.amazon.com/Salbree-Microwave-Popcorn-Silicone-Collapsible/dp/B01CMT8DFU/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1492726961&sr=1-1&keywords=microwave+popcorn+popper
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 12:44

<pre-ducking for the cuff from WBH>

I've been watching Craig's for a used WSM since I can't talk myself into $300-$400 for a new one until I know how much I'd actually use it. I figured I'd find one on there given a few weeks. Wrong. There hasn't been a one listed up here and no one in the city that had one wanted to lug it north with them to sell. Then yesterday an ad pops on from Gaylord - A Brinkman 18" smoker and a Weber chimney for $20. EVERY SINGLE smoking site out there hates Brinkmans. But I figured if I value the chimney at $10 I'm getting a smoker to experiment with for $10....so I went and got it.

On my way home last night I stopped and bought a couple pork butts for $0.99# so I was ready for today. I cleaned the grates a bit this morning, loaded that baby up with some charcoal and wood using the Soo's donut method. If all goes well they should be ready around 7pm. Will have more then.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 13:57

Bought a new charcoal Brinkmann vertical about 6 years ago for $70.  Worked okay but soon discovered the design was flawed.  The charcoal grate was too high and too close to the water pan...had to refill the pan a number of times during a long cook.  Modified by buying a small Weber charcoal grate and placing it near the bottom of the smoker.  It got the fire away from the pan and allowed room to make a larger fire.  Did this butt in it.  Thing was so juicy that when I took it out I broke through the bark with the tongs and it sprayed all over my shoes.  DO NOT GO BAREFOOT when using this type of smoker.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 Pork_b10

Have since purchased a new 18.5" WSM on ebay...winning bid was $260 with free shipping (retail $299).  Holds heat far better and doesn't need refueling mid-smoke like the Brinkmann.  Big fan of rotisserie. Recently discovered a kit that will fit both the WSM and my Weber Jumbo Joe.

18.5"  Rotisserie
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 14:14

Co-worker is an avid hunter plus really into smoking. Makes his own venison sausage, which is delicious. Has played with many smokers and settled on Traeger as his favorite.

Gave me a couple frozen venison burgers he ground 3:1 with bacon. Pulled out of the freezer to thaw a little while ago. Can hardly wait to throw them on the grill later.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 14:25

The Pantry wrote:Co-worker is an avid hunter plus really into smoking. Makes his own venison sausage, which is delicious. Has played with many smokers and settled on Traeger as his favorite.

Gave me a couple frozen venison burgers he ground 3:1 with bacon. Pulled out of the freezer to thaw a little while ago. Can hardly wait to throw them on the grill later.

The bacon would add some nice juiciness to them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 14:56

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Co-worker is an avid hunter plus really into smoking. Makes his own venison sausage, which is delicious. Has played with many smokers and settled on Traeger as his favorite.

The bacon would add some nice juiciness to them.
It needs some added fat. Make venison burgers occasionally and mix in hot Italian sausage...my kids love them. This will be the first time trying them ground with bacon. Makes perfect sense.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 20:27

The results....taste tested by myself, son #1, daughter, son in law and grandkids.   All approved.

For a first time through I was quite happy with the results.   I think the only thing we'd change is
that we would turn them.   We got an uneven bark and our assumption is a failure to turn them
over.  Is that right or is it something else?

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 UeX9l8q

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 2ZXr0P6

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 OKAePsC

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 QFEEtQy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 20:34

Probably. The un-barked side was down?

Did it pull easy? Looks like they could have gone a bit further if you had to slice them. They should literally fall apart on you.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 20:36

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Probably. The un-barked side was down?

Did it pull easy? Looks like they could have gone a bit further if you had to slice them. They should literally fall apart on you.

Yes, that side was down.

We were at temp and the fire was basically dead. It was tender but not fall apart tender.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 20:46

Just fwiw for the future - nothing wrong with finishing in the oven, wrapped or unwrapped. They've taken as much smoke as they're going to take in the first few hours so it's all just heat after that point.

Pork asses are very forgiving, though. I'm sure it tasted just fine.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 21:16

Butts pretty much fall apart when done. Don't be afraid to refuel late in the cook...lump or Stubbs only.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 23 Apr 2017 - 22:02

The Pantry wrote:Butts pretty much fall apart when done. Don't be afraid to refuel late in the cook...lump or Stubbs only.

Yeah, even with Stubbs or lump you can get a bit of a funk on the meat if you throw them in the fire cold. Probably wouldn't affect a 6-8 lb butt or big brisket much but it might a smaller piece of meat. If I have to refuel I usually wrap in foil until the smoke thins out again.

Or again, just leave wrapped if you're happy with your bark at that point. A wrapped piece of meat on the smoker is the same as a wrapped piece of meat in the oven.

BTW invest in some heavy duty aluminum foil. I buy this stuff from Restaurant Depot:

...ehh, I can't find it. The stuff/Reynolds at the grocery store is fine but it's expensive and they don't give you a lot of it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 21:17

Goose you mushroom up there? Had a couple pretty good batches of morels so far this week
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Apr 2017 - 23:16

aualum06 wrote:Goose you mushroom up there? Had a couple pretty good batches of morels so far this week

We have a little, I don't think we're going to this year.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 13:22

Got a pork roast I'm going to throw on here in a few. Just to see what happens.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 13:54

What kind of a roast?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 13:59

I'm not quite sure. It's a picnic roast, I'm guessing it's on of the shoulder. It doesn't say on the label, my parents raised it and had it processed so it just says fresh picnic.

Sea salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder and some smoke House maple seasoning I have. Have apple chips in the smoker. Got it on about 195, figuring a good three hours
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 14:04

aualum06 wrote:I'm not quite sure. It's a picnic roast, I'm guessing it's on of the shoulder. It doesn't say on the label, my parents raised it and had it processed so it just says fresh picnic.

Sea salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder and some smoke House maple seasoning I have. Have apple chips in the smoker. Got it on about 195, figuring a good three hours

Good article on a picnic - what it is.

What's the Difference Between Shoulder, Picnic, and Boston Butt?

First, a primer: Slow smoked, barbecue pork typically uses meat from the shoulder area of the hog. The reason is simple: The shoulder contains all sorts of different muscle groups held together by gobs of connective tissue. Connective tissue, as we know, is pretty tough stuff. But cook it low and slow, and it just melts away, basting the meat with all sorts of savory juices.

Trouble is, there are actually a few different types of shoulder cuts.

The first, and probably most common, is Boston butt. Boston butt comes from high on the hog, above the shoulder blade, and has lots of juicy, marbled fat. This is probably what most people buy when they purchase pork shoulder in a grocery store. It's a versatile piece of meat that you can just as easily roast or braise. For home cooks, it's also very inexpensive.

Below the butt is the pork shoulder. This cut includes most of the hog's front leg quarter. Because the leg muscles work a lot more than the back, the meat is a little tougher here than the butt, thus requiring a bit more time to coax out tenderness.

More at the link....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 14:12

Thanks for the link
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 14:14

Inhaled some smoke accidentally that was a mistake
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 14:16

How big is it? I'd be surprised if it's an entire picnic. Probably just a shoulder. Take a pic of it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 14:20

It's cooking now, it less than a pound and a half I would guess with a bone in it
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 14:20

Plus I can no longer attach pictures with my.phone
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 14:22

Oh wow, I don't think it's any of those pieces then. That's very, very small. Is it lean or fatty?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 14:32

It's just got a bit of fat around the edges. You have to remember it's home raised and processed it's not quite like you would buy in the store
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 14:44

aualum06 wrote:Plus I can no longer attach pictures with my.phone

We need to find a way to get that sub paid.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 15:46

It's been messed up for over a year. I remember I could just select the picture off my phone and attach it
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun 30 Apr 2017 - 19:04

Turned out pretty good, probably the best thing I've smoked outside of jerkey. Should have decided I was going to do it a little sooner and been able to cook it longer on a lower temp.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 May 2017 - 16:27

I'm about to slap a 14# beef liver on the smoker - this should be interesting tomorrow AM.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 4 May 2017 - 19:18

Have tried to like liver many times. I just can't do it, even if it's buried in onions.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 4 May 2017 - 19:20

LooseGoose wrote:I'm about to slap a 14# beef liver on the smoker - this should be interesting tomorrow AM.
How thick is it?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 4 May 2017 - 19:36

The Pantry wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:I'm about to slap a 14# beef liver on the smoker - this should be interesting tomorrow AM.  
How thick is it?

I've had a minor change in plans.   Called my favorite butcher and had him get one for me.  Stressed fresh.  My mother stopped and picked it up on the way.  2 Problems - it's huge - over 15#'s and it's frozen.   So I sawed it in 1/2 and threw 1/2 in the freezer and 1/2 in the sink to thaw.   The 1/2 I have thawing is approx 4" x  12" x 12".  

The plan now is to put it on the smoker about 7am and see what happens.   I've been reading smoked liver reports in multiple threads for temps, etc.   Supposedly done correctly they come out soft as butter.   If true my thought is to eat a slab for a meal than make a pate with the balance.   There should be enough to spread around the family.  

I used to raise ducks and geese and have done pates before so I have some experience in this area.  Butcher was a helluva guy and sold it to me for $1.50# so a cheap experiment that might turn out mighty tasty.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 4 May 2017 - 20:32

That's a lot of pate. Probably enough for everyone in Mio The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 502811600

What do you season it with?

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 4 May 2017 - 22:42

Cabbage soup with chicken tonight. I love just starting with basics then adding what ever I feel like. Tonight I also chopped up celery, onion added some garlic cloves finely chopped scallions and one can stewed tomatoes. Added more broth cause my 17 year old isn't a fan of tomatoes. It's going to be lunch tomorrow also.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 5 May 2017 - 9:02

The Pantry wrote:That's a lot of pate. Probably enough for everyone in Mio The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 3 502811600

What do you season it with?

The pate?

Butter - Onions - Garlic - Allspice - Rosemary - Thyme It's been a few years and I'll probably need to experiment a bit with it being beef liver and a somewhat different flavor profile.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 5 May 2017 - 9:02

DWags wrote:Cabbage soup with chicken tonight. I love just starting with basics then adding what ever I feel like. Tonight I also chopped up celery, onion added some garlic cloves finely chopped scallions and one can stewed tomatoes. Added more broth cause my 17 year old isn't a fan of tomatoes. It's going to be lunch tomorrow also.

Cabbage is another food that's so damn good and yet under used.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 5 May 2017 - 9:47

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:Cabbage soup with chicken tonight. I love just starting with basics then adding what ever I feel like. Tonight I also chopped up celery, onion added some garlic cloves finely chopped scallions and one can stewed tomatoes. Added more broth cause my 17 year old isn't a fan of tomatoes. It's going to be lunch tomorrow also.

Cabbage is another food that's so damn good and yet under used.

From slaw to sauerkraut to soup to stuffed. I'm a fan.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next