Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by MSU addict 2018-02-23, 21:39

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:So msu addict, how does that thing compare to the CL2085 or whatever it is that I have from Sam's? I am damn tempted to buy it and donate the one I have to my kids elementary school.
The one you have is a better machine.  The build quality will be better, you will be able to get replacement parts for that as long as you own it.  Yours also has a better heating element. They are bragging about an upgraded 860 watts, yours has 1,220 watts on a smaller six ounce smaller kettle - mine is 1,420 watts on an eight ounce kettle.  Yours will have a better motor, a bit heavier wiring, better quality stainless - it is better machine.  Look at wiring that goes to the kettle, yours is wrapped in stainless conduit, that one is just pvc.  In general, you do get what you pay for, yours is a $450 machine versus a $150 machine.  

The Great Northern MSU popper is made in China and they use varying parts based on what they can contract.  Essentially there are no replacement parts available, and they can and do vary in quality.  Great Northern build quality is getting consistently better, better than 10 years ago.  That popper has a 5 year warranty - see the next post.  

The MSU machine is their foundation model, one of their better poppers.  From what I have seen the paint seems to hold up well on GN poppers.  Their stainless steel does not seem to be the best quality, I have seen rust issues.  I have seen a couple of the GN factory themed machines, and they look nice - I have not seen the MSU one in person.  

I would love to see it in person - is that Spartan head on the glass etched, is it painted,  is it a sticker, is in on the inside or outside - to me, these things matter.

As you know by having one, popcorn machines are complicated.  But they do have a heating element, a thermostat and a motor and gearing to stir.  They all make popcorn pretty much the same but more powerful heating elements do matter.  

If I did not have a popcorn machine, I would buy that one.  Simply because it is MSU themed, it looks well done and I don't fret over $140 purchases.  When I was looking for a machine, I bought a Paragon because I love the look of my machine (all stainless) and I was willing to pay for the better quality.  But the MSU theme changes things and tips the balance for the Great Northern, for $140 bucks, I buy it.

But I really like my machine and like you have zero need for two of them.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2018-02-23, 22:57; edited 3 times in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by MSU addict 2018-02-23, 22:19

FWIW, here is the text of the warranty

Five Year Limited Warranty

Great Northern Popcorn Company's popcorn machines are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for five years from the date of purchase. Within this period, Great Northern Popcorn Company will, at its sole discretion, repair or replace any components that fail during normal use. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by abnormal or unreasonable use, including any repair or attempted repair by anyone other than a certified Great Northern Popcorn Company authorized service technician, use of replacement parts that are not OEM parts, in addition to incidental or consequential damages. Using this product for anything other than its original intended purpose or altering this product in any way will void this warranty. There is a 30 day limited warranty on all consumable parts including but not limited to glass, doors, hinges, blades, kettles and/or light bulbs as applicable.

If your popcorn machine has a manufacturer's defect covered by our warranty, we will either repair or replace it, at our option, without charge or refund. Such repairs, or items deemed to be eligible for replacement, will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor, provided that the customer shall be responsible for all shipping costs.

Beyond the initial 30 day period, this warranty does not apply to: A. cosmetic damage, such as broken glass, scratches, nicks and dents; B. consumable parts, such as kettles and light bulbs, unless product damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; C. damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, water, flood, fire, or other acts of nature or external causes; D. damage caused by service performed by anyone who is not an authorized service provider of Great Northern Popcorn Company; or E. damage to a product that has been modified or altered without the written permission of Great Northern Popcorn Company. In addition, The original purchaser who has provided proper proof of the original retail purchase and all other requested information is the holder of this warranty.

Please note that repair costs and handling charges may apply if any issue was found to be the fault of the end user. Please be prepared to provide the unit's serial number, if applicable), your return shipping address and a daytime phone number and proof of purchase.

Great Northern Popcorn Company retains the exclusive right to repair or replace, with a new or newly-refurbished replacement machine or part, the product or offer a full refund of the purchase price at its sole discretion. SUCH REMEDY SHALL BE THE SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY BREACH OF WARRANTY.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-02-23, 22:34

Thank you. Wow you are like a popcorn machine Jesus. I will stick with what I have I guess.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-02-23, 22:34

I did not know this, but the Great Northern Popcorn company is located in Michigan.

Customer service:

Great Northern Popcorn Company
10719 Waters RV Dr.
Gaylord, MI 49735

The machines ship from a warehouse in Mancelona, Michigan.

They actually offer pick-up there.  Which would explain why they have an MSU machine and no other college themed machines.  I am thinking they may be Spartan Owned.

Dammit Goose - check it out.

Great Northern Popcorn is an assumed named filed by DTX International Inc.  
It's CEO is Thomas Gerard he went to Walsh.
It looks like the Principal owner is named Brian Foster, he went to Oakland Community College.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2018-02-23, 22:56; edited 3 times in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-23, 22:35

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Thank you. Wow you are like a popcorn machine Jesus. I will stick with what I have I guess.

I love the look of that MSU machine but would wager the Spartan head is a sticker.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-26, 20:31

A little story first and then the result.   Since Christmas I've been slowly working at emptying my freezers.   Having 2 freezers full of meat, fruit, etc for 1 person is silly.  Late last week I took some blueberries out intending to make a pie.  Never really got motivated to do so.   Last night I saw the berries in the 'fridge and decided I better use them or lose them.   I've mixed blueberries into cake mixes in the past with some success so thought about doing that.   When I opened my cupboard a Duncan Hines chewy brownie mix was staring back at me.  So I decided to try that.

I think the berries were just a pint that I had poured into a zip lock and frozen.  When they thawed they were a bit mushy with a lot of juice so I was scared of adding the water called for in the mix.

So -

1 box Duncan Hines chewy Brownie mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
Did not add the called for 1/4 cup water
I mixed those all up and then added
Very wet thawed pint of blueberries and mixed them in well.

Put it in my non stick cake pan and popped it in the oven at 350.
The brownie mix called for 23 minutes.   Because of the moisture
I let them cook for about 30 minutes.  Out on the counter to cool.
Covered them up last night and left them.

Tonight the daughter/SiL and grandkids were over for dinner so I
pulled the brownies out for dessert.   They were insanely good.  Very,
very moist and the blueberries mixed through them added a nice flavor.

Got a family dinner coming up on Easter Sunday so I'm going to try
this one again then.

No pictures since the SiL took the leftovers for work tomorrow.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-26, 20:38

MSU addict wrote:I did not know this, but the Great Northern Popcorn company is located in Michigan.

Customer service:

10719 Waters RV Dr.
Gaylord, MI 49735

They actually offer pick-up there.  Which would explain why they have an MSU machine and no other college themed machines.  I am thinking they may be Spartan Owned.

I just saw this, I'll have to pull in there someday.

The Waters RV drive address is the Waters exit right off I75, Exit #270 so 10-15 miles north of Grayling.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-02-26, 21:38

LooseGoose wrote:
MSU addict wrote:I did not know this, but the Great Northern Popcorn company is located in Michigan.

Customer service:

10719 Waters RV Dr.
Gaylord, MI 49735

The Waters RV drive address is the Waters exit right off I75, Exit #270 so 10-15 miles north of Grayling.

If I was ever in the neighborhood I would like to check them out.

Unlike Paragon and Gold Medal which are manufacturers, Great Northern is an importer. They have carved a nice little niche importing concession equipment and even as an importer have developed a "brand" per se. They have added a needed measure of consistency with the imported machines and have helped bring down the prices of the Paragon and Gold Medal machines. They have also made them much more widely available. Gold Medal used to sell strictly through distributors and they have had to move away from that business model.

I have a preference for the US manufactured machines, but I do appreciate the expanded choices and the lower price points.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-26, 21:51

MSU addict wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

If I was ever in the neighborhood I would like to check them out.

Unlike Paragon and Gold Medal which are manufacturers, Great Northern is an importer. They have carved a nice little niche importing concession equipment and even as an importer have developed a "brand" per se. They have added a needed measure of consistency with the imported machines and have helped bring down the prices of the Paragon and Gold Medal machines. They have also made them much more widely available. Gold Medal used to sell strictly through distributors and they have had to move away from that business model.

I have a preference for the US manufactured machines, but I do appreciate the expanded choices and the lower price points.

Sometimes it takes a while for my addled old brain to click but I'll bet you $$ I've been to their Mancelona warehouse.

About 10 years ago I bought a new grill off Ebay that offered local pick up and it was at a warehouse on the east side of M-66 a mile or so south of town. I'll bet you that was them in their earlier days.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-03-10, 10:01

Didn't cook it but it was good.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 Mvimg_10
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 Mvimg_11
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-14, 00:03

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164 06286 20899 86280 34825 34211 70679 82148 08651 32823 06647 09384 46095 50582 23172 53594 08128 48111 74502 84102 70193 85211 05559 64462 29489 54930 38196 44288 10975 66593 34461 28475 64823

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-14, 10:13

Damn some good Pie and Pizza deals in here for PI day.....

Today is National Pi Day (3/14): Here's where to find special pie deals
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-15, 09:44

Last post for Pie Day.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 Bj0s2sA
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-03-16, 15:20

Did I buy an air fryer just to cook the six wings I had leftover after I grilled the first six on Tuesday? I'm starting to realize the answer is probably.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-16, 15:25

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Did I buy an air fryer just to cook the six wings I had leftover after I grilled the first six on Tuesday? I'm starting to realize the answer is probably.

Tell me how that thing works. I've been eyeballing one for over a year. Love deep fried but hate the mess and calories.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-03-16, 16:26

Round 1 went ok. I cooked these on the highest setting (400) for 15 minutes. They were good but could have been a lot crispier. I'll have to do some experimenting.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 40137995414_3094c42fbf
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-17, 19:20

Golfed 27. Had this in for 20 hours at my buddies in Tennessee. Gonna dig in in about 30 minutes. Go Houston.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 26bf9f10
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 4d43f610
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 06b01b10
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 13e7af10
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 995ac510
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-03-17, 19:23

Looks good. I hope they know what they're doing in slicing it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-17, 20:30

Was amazing.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 6b435310
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 03afcf10
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 56a52810
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 Bf331d10
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-03-22, 19:18

Picked up shrimp tacos from Oaxaca last night along with their house salsa and chips. Delicious but had the shits all day.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-22, 19:59

The Pantry wrote:Picked up shrimp tacos from Oaxaca last night along with their house salsa and chips. Delicious but had the shits all day.

So doubly good.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-03-22, 20:33

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Picked up shrimp tacos from Oaxaca last night along with their house salsa and chips. Delicious but had the shits all day.

So doubly good.
Not really. Didn't get to work until after 11. Good thing I didn't get their spicy salsa or might not be able to sit down right now.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-24, 12:23

Michigan Maple Day today - so went out and got some syrup. While i was out tried a new honey place. A damned fine looking pint of raw honey for $6. Picked up 4 donuts from my favorite Amish bakery and am now ready to sin. I'll let you know on taste once I try it later today. Also got my pint of Brede's so I'm ready to fry some shrimp up for tonight. A productive day of foraging some local foods.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-24, 19:38

Every time I open a new jar of Brede's I'm transported back to the kitchen at Grandpa and Grandma's farm. My grandpa used horseradish like people today do ketchup & mustard, I think I may have been the only grandkid that joined him eating it. He always assured me that doing so would put hair on my chest.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-30, 14:02

Open offer for Swillsters:

I've got 19 coming for Easter Dinner on Sunday so am baking mass quantities tomorrow. If anyone is in the area let me know and I'll set you up with a pie.

Making:
Mixed Berry
Blackberry
Blueberry
Custard

Banana Cake & Filled Cookies for the non pie eaters.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-03-30, 18:38

Get emails from Honeybaked Ham.  Took a look at their site today.  Yeah, their stuff is expensive but some of the prices blew my mind. $25 green bean casserole? $25 potatoes au gratin? wow

Sides
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-30, 18:49

DWags wrote:Put mix directly on prime rib.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 30crw4g

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 2hpk7zs

Bump.  doing this again tonight.  Wife's goodbye dinner.   3lb prime rib.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-30, 19:00

DWags wrote:

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 30crw4g

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 2hpk7zs

Wags hoping to get the babybackrib some action.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-03-30, 19:04

DWags wrote:

What's in the mix?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-30, 19:10

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:

What's in the mix?

butter, fresh garlic minced.  Thyme rosemary
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-03-30, 19:14

DWags wrote:

Just seeing these photos The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 502811600 The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-30, 19:17

Meat really turns out well OTPT.   Just put it in the oven at 500 degrees for each pound you do it for five minutes,  Then, no matter what the poundage, you turn the oven off and let sit for 2 hours.  It's really nice.  It works out no matter how big the prime rib it comes out medium well.  Delidcuousl.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-03-30, 19:20

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
What's in the mix?

Sounds good. Was wondering if there was some horseradish in that
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-30, 19:21

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:

Sounds good.  Was wondering if there was some horseradish in that

After the cook, I always use some fresh horse radish.  Mixed with a bit of Mayo.  Not in the mix though.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-03-30, 19:23

DWags wrote:Meat really turns out well OTPT.   Just put it in the oven at 500 degrees for each pound you do it for five minutes,  Then, no matter what the poundage, you turn the oven off and let sit for 2 hours.  It's really nice.  It works out no matter how big the prime rib it comes out medium well.  Delidcuousl.
What time do you use for medium rare?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-30, 19:27

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:Meat really turns out well OTPT.   Just put it in the oven at 500 degrees for each pound you do it for five minutes,  Then, no matter what the poundage, you turn the oven off and let sit for 2 hours.  It's really nice.  It works out no matter how big the prime rib it comes out medium well.  Delidcuousl.
What time do you use for medium rare?
 I go by the instructions.  It comes out Medium; Medium rare.  Whatever the weight of the prime rib is, you put the oven up to 500, if it's 4 pounds, you coook it at 500 for 20 minutes then shut it off. if it's 3 lbs, you do it for 15 minutes then shut it off.  Then let it sit in the oven for 2 hours, no matter the weight.  It works out to between medium rare medium every time.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-03-30, 19:56

Why
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-30, 20:32

Tim Wakefield wrote:

Why

I actually meant medium rare. I’m drunk. I’ve shown pictures on here of the outcome. Sorry. I’m pretty drunk.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-03-30, 20:33

DWags wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:

Why

I actually meant medium rare. I’m drunk. I’ve shown pictures on here of the outcome. Sorry. I’m pretty drunk.

Joining you soon The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 969504605
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-04-02, 19:24

Went for the milk pickup at lunch.  Drove right past Popeye's chicken when leaving.  Place has disappointed me the last three times I stopped there.  Maybe Popeye's isn't actually that bad but that particular location sucks.  Food, service, everything.

Drove another 1/4 mile up Van Dyke and spotted Naruto Sushi.  Knew the place was there but never tried it.  Pulled in and ordered carryout.  Been told the place is usually busy at lunch but today being Monday worked in my favor.  Was out of there in maybe 7-8 minutes.  Spicy Combo lunch special...tuna, salmon, and California rolls.  9 bucks including tax.  Was shocked at the amount of food when I got back to the office.  24 pieces of sushi...enough for both lunch and dinner for me.  Not Kona Grill great but quite tasty.  

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 14 Naruto10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next