Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you listening to right now?

+46
Motown Spartan
Heathens '87
Banks2Mason
kingstonlake
SeeRockCity
AvgMSUJoe
By-Tor
Dr. Strangelove
tGreenWay
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
CORNER BLITZ
Jake from State Farm
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Cameron
steveschneider
xsanguine
Watch Out Pylon!
WhiteBoyHatcher
keanro
Bill Cain
y2kMgrad
Clarett's Folly
Cool Runnings
msuspartan4eva
Senior Dickfist
Death Roe
El Jefe
SawGreen
CaptainSlow33
Tim Wakefield
tanfan!
MattyFresh
Turtleneck
Steve81
Triple Sparty
TheReal_LWS
Nordic
AnomanderRake
goodbar
The Pantry
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
50 posters

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next

Go down

What are you listening to right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-11, 14:35

To your point AVG Joe, it's not like any of us are going to listen to these originals. I guess from my view point these works are of such historical significance it's comforting to know they exists and to see them destroyed feels like a loss.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

What are you listening to right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-11, 14:40

steveschneider wrote: Every copy thereafter is a sonic step away.”"

Meh... that right their is nerd talk.

I'd venture to guess a decent digital backup (let alone whatever top of the top system they have) fully captured every hear-able sound coming off analog tapes.

What are you listening to right now? - Page 16 33ad5cf0c4534f01041503ec2289beb7--husband-wife-humor-music-humour
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-11, 14:46

steveschneider wrote:To your point AVG Joe, it's not like any of us are going to listen to these originals. I guess from my view point these works are of such historical significance it's comforting to know they exists and to see them destroyed feels like a loss.
I get that... I suppose.
The actual tapes Buddy Holly sang into are gone... which is bad. Not as bad as Isis destroying Palmyra (or whatever)... which is quite literally gone forever.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-11, 15:12

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
steveschneider wrote: Every copy thereafter is a sonic step away.”"

I'd venture to guess a decent digital backup (let alone whatever top of the top system they have) fully captured every hear-able sound coming off analog tapes.

What are you listening to right now? - Page 16 33ad5cf0c4534f01041503ec2289beb7--husband-wife-humor-music-humour

That comic is hilarious. I'm not one of the obsessive audiophile dorks but I do have a decent stereo system and I collect vinyl and have a few remastered cds that I think sound great. IMO there is value to having good sound and adds to the enjoyment. IMO the most important part of the equation is the speakers. A good pair of speakers can make a very noticeable difference.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-11, 15:18

steveschneider wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

That comic is hilarious. I'm not one of the obsessive audiophile dorks but I do have a decent stereo system and I collect vinyl and have a few remastered cds that I think sound great. IMO there is value to having good sound and adds to the enjoyment. IMO the most important part of the equation is the speakers. A good pair of speakers can make a very noticeable difference.
right there with ya.. I'm not a tech nerd at all - but I have a decent stereo, a pretty solid and ever-expanding vinyl collection (dating back to the first record I ever bought.. "Destroyer" by KISS.. bought it in 1976 at a record store in Asheville, NC.. I was 7).. I'm a consumer of music, not the various platforms and delivery systems associated with music. 90% of music I listen to is vinyl.. I have no idea what iTunes or Spotify are.. I think my wife probably does.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-11, 15:25

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

right there with ya.. I'm not a tech nerd at all - but I have a decent stereo, a pretty solid and ever-expanding vinyl collection (dating back to the first record I ever bought.. "Destroyer" by KISS.. bought it in 1976 at a record store in Asheville, NC.. I was 7).. I'm a consumer of music, not the various platforms and delivery systems associated with music. 90% of music I listen to is vinyl.. I have no idea what iTunes or Spotify are.. I think my wife probably does.

Yeah, My in laws make fun of me for listening to vinyl and CDs and then I see them go 'Alexa play Elton John' and there's no way it sounds as good as my system. I can definitely hear the difference from Spotify to a CD or a record. I really think the key to format is to make sure the music is properly mastered to the format you are listening to.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-11, 15:53

Spotify literally is everything. Talk about rabbit holes... I realized how infinitesimal my music depth was when I got Spotify.
So, I suppose it's quantity over quality on that. (find a song you like on a playlist, they have the entire catalog of that artists releases... which for some could lead to hours more content... which leads to more "suggestions"... more... more... more...)

There is a streaming service that sends loss-less audio (not compressed... meaning "same as master") over the internet... I think it's more expensive then Spotify and limited in the # of songs.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-11, 16:29

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Spotify literally is everything. Talk about rabbit holes... I realized how infinitesimal my music depth was when I got Spotify.
So, I suppose it's quantity over quality on that. (find a song you like on a playlist, they have the entire catalog of that artists releases... which for some could lead to hours more content... which leads to more "suggestions"... more... more... more...)

There is a streaming service that sends loss-less audio (not compressed... meaning "same as master") over the internet... I think it's more expensive then Spotify and limited in the # of songs.

We have a spotify subscription and use it all the time driving for our parties and it's tremendous for discovering new music. I'm probably an old timer stuck in my ways but I love the art work, packaging and having possession over a format. Once I discover something I like and want to listen to on heavy rotation I purchase it in album format.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-06-11, 17:53

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Spotify literally is everything. Talk about rabbit holes... I realized how infinitesimal my music depth was when I got Spotify.

Spotify is fucking great. This.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-12, 13:04

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Spotify is fucking great. This.

It is for us. The compensation for artists is terrible.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-12, 15:00

On a related note...

Here is my wife's co-worker's husband's band.
https://open.spotify.com/track/5cHelnEEIjkEMbUWuZKFUM?si=0yabkPXJRj6_segBKUFzxQ
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-13, 12:08

one of my favorite songwriters of the last 15-18 years.. if you haven't listened to her "Bittertown" record (from 2004, I believe), it's a good one. This is a song off of her new-ish record.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-13, 12:13

Bill Callahan's new record out this month. Going to see him in New Jersey. Really enjoying the new David Berman stuff on youtube. Very dark stuff.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-13, 12:16

steveschneider wrote:Bill Callahan's new record out this month. Going to see him in New Jersey. Really enjoying the new David Berman stuff on youtube. Very dark stuff.
very cool - I'll check it out.

We're going to see Trampled by Turtles on Saturday.. What are you listening to right now? - Page 16 3493939353

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-21, 09:52

so good.. totally stripped down in Paste studios.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-21, 10:19

New Raconteurs released today... me thinks it's pretty fkn good.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-07-18, 14:27

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-18, 14:29

Turtleneck said I can’t tell you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-07-18, 14:30

AvgMSUJoe wrote:New Raconteurs released today... me thinks it's pretty fkn good.

BTW... The Masonic temple show was awesome.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-07-19, 00:01

Tupac am i gonna get banned
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-19, 14:39

Ruston Kelly.. sold Ryan Adams vibes.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-19, 22:08

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-23, 08:36

new tune from The Menzingers.. playing The Pyramid Scheme next Wednesday.. What are you listening to right now? - Page 16 3493939353

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-25, 23:25

It’s darn near Friday and all I wanna do is
Dance
Dance
Dance

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-07-30, 13:07

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-30, 13:48

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
dude was married to Elizabeth Vargas.. who I always enjoyed looking at.

(she was an alcoholic wreck, as it turns out. I remember reading where she admitted to anchoring ABC Nightly News drunk). Shocked
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-07-30, 13:48

Too bad Hutchence had to go and off himself.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-30, 13:57

catchin' these dudes tomorrow night.. What are you listening to right now? - Page 16 3493939353

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-30, 14:04

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-07-30, 14:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

(she was an alcoholic wreck, as it turns out. I remember reading where she admitted to anchoring ABC Nightly News drunk). Shocked

To her credit, she's put it behind her (and I like her behind, too).
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-30, 14:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Bill Bonds says hi.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-07-30, 14:58

13th Floor Elevators
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-07-30, 15:19

So who the hell is Justin Cody Fox? Just heard a song by him called Living Ghosts. Damn, what a great song. Kind of a Tom Petty meets the Wallflowers feel.

kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-08-13, 14:53

I just heard Tool has new release the end of the month....(had no idea)

So...

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-08-13, 19:24

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-19, 13:11

so. freaking. good.

always have been.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-08-19, 14:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:so. freaking. good.

always have been.

BOB... Have you gotten through the new Hold Steady? (Only one or two tracks in)

Any good?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-19, 15:13

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:so. freaking. good.

always have been.

BOB... Have you gotten through the new Hold Steady? (Only one or two tracks in)

Any good?
what up, G.

I've listened to a few tracks: Denver Haircut, Blackout Sam.. and T-Shirt Tuxedo, I think.. not bad - I dig pretty much anything they do. Also listened to their set from Friday on KEXP (maybe Thursday?).. I don't think they've posted it on their page yet.

Anyway - sounds great. A nice jump from Teeth Dreams, which I liked, and a ways away from Heaven Is Whenever - which had some good songs on it, but the album itself was lackluster.

I'm looking forward to more tour dates. I've seen The Hold Steady so many times but I need just one more show. I've seen hundreds and hundreds of shows in my 50 years and they are consistently one of my favorite live bands.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-08-19, 17:24

Features Peter Green on guitar, after he took over for Clapton, pre Fleetwood Mac.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-08-19, 17:42

I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next