Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you listening to right now?

+23
tGreenWay
CaptainSlow33
Travis of the Cosmos
Motown Spartan
NigelUno
Spartytruth
InternetWarrior
SawGreen
Trapper Gus
DWags
kingstonlake
Nordic
Jaheab
Pervis Muldoon
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
MattyFresh
The Pantry
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
27 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What are you listening to right now? Empty What are you listening to right now?

Post by Turtleneck 2021-03-16, 15:05

Springsteen > John Mayer
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What are you listening to right now? Empty Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-03-16, 15:08

Turtleneck wrote:Springsteen > John Mayer

you subtweeting me, bro?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What are you listening to right now? Empty Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-24, 14:52

Had some painters in our house and those guys were playing modern country. Holy shit that stuff is so corny. Every song is about a pickup truck and beer. Give me the old stuff and make sure it's sung by an outlaw.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-03-24, 18:15

steveschneider wrote:Had some painters in our house and those guys were playing modern country. Holy shit that stuff is so corny. Every song is about a pickup truck and beer. Give me the old stuff and make sure it's sung by an outlaw.

You know what they say about country music. If you play it backwards you get your dog back, your girlfriend/wife back and your truck back.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

The Pantry and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-03-24, 19:10

Floyd Robertson wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Had some painters in our house and those guys were playing modern country. Holy shit that stuff is so corny. Every song is about a pickup truck and beer. Give me the old stuff and make sure it's sung by an outlaw.

You know what they say about country music. If you play it backwards you get your dog back, your girlfriend/wife back and your truck back.
Freshman year at State was a music genre expander for me.  Went from just rock into jazz, bluegrass and country...due to influences from floormates.  

Still love jazz...the smooth kind mostly.  Still like bluegrass but don't hear it often.  Country, not so much.  Remember a night we spread multiple copies of the State News on the floor of our dorm room and put a coffee can in the middle.  5-6 of us sat around it chewing Redman while listening to WITL radio (Johnny Paychecks "Take This Job and Shove It" still echoes in my head) and spitting at the can.  Needless to say, most spits missed...hence, the cleverness of covering the floor with newspaper.  

Was a fucking mess.  TG for the trash chute at the bend in the hall.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-24, 19:33

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Freshman year at State was a music genre expander for me.  Went from just rock into jazz, bluegrass and country...due to influences from floormates.  

Still love jazz...the smooth kind mostly.  Still like bluegrass but don't hear it often.  Country, not so much.  Remember a night we spread multiple copies of the State News on the floor of our dorm room and put a coffee can in the middle.  5-6 of us sat around it chewing Redman while listening to WITL radio (Johnny Paychecks "Take This Job and Shove It" still echoes in my head) and spitting at the can.  Needless to say, most spits missed...hence, the cleverness of covering the floor with newspaper.  

Was a fucking mess.  TG for the trash chute at the bend in the hall.

I friggin love Johnny Paycheck.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-03-25, 09:58

stay away from corporate country - it's absolutely mind-boggling how it's written at a pre-kindergarten level.

it's popularity, though, says a lot about America.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-03-25, 09:59

the new record by The Hold Steady is pretty epic.

my favorite track so far.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-25, 10:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
stay away from corporate country - it's absolutely mind-boggling how it's written at a pre-kindergarten level.

Yeah, my exposure was limited to this paint crew. They are blue collar workers and I'm not going to step on whatever helps make their work a bit better. I was tempted a few times to go hey check out this album by Dick Curless but they might have heard it with their set of ears tuned to modern country and thought 'man this guys music sucks'.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-03-25, 10:10

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: stay away from corporate country - it's absolutely mind-boggling how it's written at a pre-kindergarten level.

Yeah, my exposure was limited to this paint crew. They are blue collar workers and I'm not going to step on whatever helps make their work a bit better. I was tempted a few times to go hey check out this album by Dick Curless but they might have heard it with their set of ears tuned to modern country and thought 'man this guys music sucks'.
true story:

a handful years ago, my family and I flew into Atlanta for a wedding. My Dad was pretty sick at the time, so the wife and kid stayed in Atlanta for the wedding, I rented a car to drive up to NC to hang with Dad.

So once I got into north Georgia, I told myself "allright, dude - crank up the corporate country on the radio and give it a genuine listen".. so I did.

I spent the entire drive laughing at how incredibly stupid, scripted and predictable it was.. if I hadn't known any better, I would've thought I was being Punk'd. I was honestly embarrassed for the people singing it. What are you listening to right now? 502811600

lots of good, authentic country music out there.. maybe the best 'real' country movement since the 70s outlaw folks. It's just that this particular radio stuff is easily spoonfed to the masses.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-25, 10:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

true story:

a handful years ago, my family and I flew into Atlanta for a wedding. My Dad was pretty sick at the time, so the wife and kid stayed in Atlanta for the wedding, I rented a car to drive up to NC to hang with Dad.

So once I got into north Georgia, I told myself "allright, dude - crank up the corporate country on the radio and give it a genuine listen".. so I did.

I spent the entire drive laughing at how incredibly stupid, scripted and predictable it was.. if I hadn't known any better, I would've thought I was being Punk'd. I was honestly embarrassed for the people singing it. What are you listening to right now? 502811600

lots of good, authentic country music out there.. maybe the best 'real' country movement since the 70s outlaw folks.  It's just that this particular radio stuff is easily spoonfed to the masses.

I've thought this stuff through before regarding roots music like country and the blues. All art forms should evolve. The Fat Possum Records from the 90's feature Hill Country Blues Men with 90's production values. There's some hip hop beats, distorted mic vocals like the Beastie Boys etc. When I hear it and these artists are genuine I think why couldn't they just do a stripped down blues album? But on the other side that probably wouldn't sell. There's always going to be the push/pull factor of commerce vs art. I remember hearing a Lou Reed interview where he talked about his first album before Transformers how it was a failure and he said 'back then the labels would give you another chance'. Seems like there was a little more emphasis on art and creativity back then where as now commerce dominates.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-03-25, 12:43

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
true story:

lots of good, authentic country music out there.. maybe the best 'real' country movement since the 70s outlaw folks.  It's just that this particular radio stuff is easily spoonfed to the masses.

I've thought this stuff through before regarding roots music like country and the blues. All art forms should evolve. The Fat Possum Records from the 90's feature Hill Country Blues Men with 90's production values. There's some hip hop beats, distorted mic vocals like the Beastie Boys etc. When I hear it and these artists are genuine I think why couldn't they just do a stripped down blues album? But on the other side that probably wouldn't sell. There's always going to be the push/pull factor of commerce vs art. I remember hearing a Lou Reed interview where he talked about his first album before Transformers how it was a failure and he said 'back then the labels would give you another chance'. Seems like there was a little more emphasis on art and creativity back then where as now commerce dominates.
I hear ya - and there is still a lot of creative art going on, you just have to look for it. There are some good radio stations out there, specialty shows on certain radio stations.

"Torch and Twang" on WDBM - 88.9 at MSU is a great show. Roots, string band, Americana stuff. Been listening to it for decades.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-30, 09:27

I remember on that Metal Evolution Doc on VH1 the episode about Shock Metal they had all the greats like Alice Cooper talking about how hard it is to shock people this day and age. Lil Nas just said 'Hold my beer'. Just watched his video and thought it was top notch entertainment.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-04-07, 18:16

missing steve so im in a blink-182 mood.. best blink album IMO

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-04-07, 22:26

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2021-04-22, 22:27

Willie with a great cover and a duet with his son none the less

MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-04-23, 12:47

newish song from "Michigander" - such a great tune.. kinda has a vibe if The Killers intersected with The Cure.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-04-23, 14:43

KALEO has a new release today.
What are you listening to right now? 3493939353 What are you listening to right now? 3493939353 What are you listening to right now? 3493939353 What are you listening to right now? 3493939353
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-04-26, 10:40

not only a great tune and a great band, but this video is pretty epic, as well.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-04-29, 20:00

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-05-01, 01:20

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-05-05, 15:24

man, I love Phoebe.. but something about her voice just illicits sadness.

(I know that it's her vibe).

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-05-06, 13:15

You're welcome!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-05-06, 13:59

Motown Spartan wrote:

You're welcome!

This should be in the rave thread...this shit slaps!!! What are you listening to right now? 3493939353 @Turtleneck @Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-05-21, 09:27

my wife is rockin' The Linda Lindas.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-05-21, 16:23

🎵This ain’t build-a-bitch🎶
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-05-28, 08:07

Just bought Leon Bridges tickets for Red Rocks in October What are you listening to right now? 3493939353

Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-05-28, 08:56

The Smiths and proud of it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-05-28, 09:04

steveschneider wrote:The Smiths and proud of it.

Is that you TempeTantrum?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-05-28, 09:14

Give the current weather, it's a good morning for some St. Germain

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-05-28, 10:15

Listening to the new Bloodbound album that dropped today!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-05-28, 10:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:Listening to the new Bloodbound album that dropped today!

I had a mood shift and switched to Exodus and Devildriver songs for a bit.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-06-02, 19:09

Darkness on the Edge of Town was released 43 years ago today.

My favorite tune on my favorite record and in my top 5 of all Springsteen songs.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-06-02, 21:40

Long watch/listen.  Bookmark it if you don't have the time.

Turtle Talk 0:25
Bodhisattva 4:11
Time Out of Mind 9:46
Aja 15:17
I Got The News 23:49
Hey Nineteen 29:25
Josie 36:43
Green Earrings 42:14
Deacon Blues 48:24
Black Friday 56:15
Dirty Work 1:01:03
Band Intros / Show Biz Kids * 1:06:29
Do it Again * 1:19:42
Peg * 1:25:15
Don't Take Me Alive * 1:29:40
Kid Charlemagne * 1:34:12
FM (No Static at All) * 1:42:04
My Old School * 1:47:08
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-06-10, 14:13

If Sir Elton is right, we're going to hear from far fewer UK acts in the future.

Elton John says government must act to save music industry from ‘looming catastrophe’ caused by Brexit or see it ‘crash and burn’
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-06-11, 12:03

on a Gaslight/Brian Fallon kick this morning.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-06-16, 09:47

Thunderclap Newman "Something in the Air".

Almost Famous introduced me to this song.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-06-18, 12:23

Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-06-18, 18:02

Cameron wrote:

read a pretty funny interview with him the other day about running into Keith Richards in the Bahamas.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-06-18, 18:05

Noel Gallagher gives fantastic interviews.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next