Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football rumors (Merged)

+50
Duke Silver
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
Murphy Green
Bob Lee Swagger
CORNER BLITZ
Henry Steele
The_Dude
whipcatlicks
By-Tor
Townie
Rocinante
Loose Stools
goodbar
Herbie Green
Clarett's Folly
Banacek
Nordic
General Grant
CampbellHall
Izzo Court
xsanguine
Cameron
Jethro Bodeen
duffy munn
Death Roe
SawGreen
Vlad
tanfan!
NigelUno
WhiteBoyHatcher
kingstonlake
InTenSity
Stoops21
Floyd Robertson
AnomanderRake
pulling69
Wally Fairway
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
MattyFresh
GRR Spartan
tGreenWay
CheesySpartan
Steve81
Watch Out Pylon!
CaptainSlow33
Blanch32
Robert J Sakimano
SeeRockCity
54 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Football rumors (Merged) - Page 11 Empty Re: Football rumors (Merged)

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 22/02/17, 07:35 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

Hmmmm, lets see, you have a job, it allows you to follow MSU sports everywhere, you're at all the great games, you wake up maybe at noon, go over to a practice at 2:30,  throw a couple of words together for your blog, get on the radio, make money for talking about the same shit we're doing for free and wasting time.

Jealous?  Holy fucking shit, beyond jealous.  I'd kill to be able to do what he does.  
the only thing I know about the dude is what I read here.. but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer my life.

Heck, I'd probably even prefer OTPT's life over his.

Let's not get crazy here, Bob.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 22/02/17, 07:45 pm

Murphy Green wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yep.  Many of us are upset with that radio show, so we're "throwing shade" I guess.  It is irresponsible if it's not true, but it's his show.  If he hasn't slandered anyone, have at it.  So the anger might be mixed with jealousy.  But damn, the guy has a job I would walk on broken glass for.  

No, you wouldn't.  You would never give out confidential information, you certainly wouldn't give out 'fake' or misleading information and you wouldn't want to have to pander to fanatics so you could put food on the table and a roof over the wife's head.  

Maybe you would like his lifestyle of getting up late, following the program, etc if you were independently wealthy.  I understand the powerball jackpot is over $400 real large; better make a beeline down to your local lottery agent.

Well yeah, definitely the last paragraph. And yeah I played ten bucks tonight.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/02/17, 01:16 pm

No update from prosecutor in Michigan State football case
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/02/17, 02:15 pm

Dantonio Statement:
Football rumors (Merged) - Page 11 C5xgV0MUsAA-wmR

Football rumors (Merged) - Page 11 C5xgV0RU4AAmNhl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/02/17, 02:17 pm

Dantonio: MSU ‘taking very seriously’ sex assault allegations
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 28/02/17, 02:19 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Dantonio Statement:
Football rumors (Merged) - Page 11 C5xgV0MUsAA-wmR

Football rumors (Merged) - Page 11 C5xgV0RU4AAmNhl

Phone's almost dead dude.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/02/17, 02:29 pm

Not my phone, let CoachD know or Solari?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 28/02/17, 02:30 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Not my phone, let CoachD know or Solari?

I bet they read this board.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 28/02/17, 02:31 pm

so we just lead from formal letters now. sounds effective
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 28/02/17, 02:39 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Not my phone, let CoachD know or Solari?

I bet they read this board.

i mean reading his statement that much is clear

Football rumors (Merged) - Page 11 Cmd10
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 28/02/17, 02:41 pm

That statement (while good) is overdue.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 28/02/17, 03:04 pm

NigelUno wrote:That statement (while good) is overdue.

Agreed. By about a week.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve81 28/02/17, 03:48 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
NigelUno wrote:That statement (while good) is overdue.

Agreed. By about a week.
Maybe he thought there would be something concrete happening by now. I know we should be thinking about the alleged victims but it is hard on the MSU staff and players also.
Steve81
Steve81
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 28/02/17, 03:51 pm

I'm guessing the content and timing of the statement might not have been dictated by Dantonio considering they have hired an outside law firm.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/02/17, 04:02 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'm guessing the content and timing of the statement might not have been dictated by Dantonio considering they have hired an outside law firm.

I'm guessing you're right.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 28/02/17, 04:12 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'm guessing the content and timing of the statement might not have been dictated by Dantonio considering they have hired an outside law firm.

There is no doubt that the comments were sanitized by legal representation, and I have no problem with that. The statement said all the right things.

Steve81 brings up a good point about why Dantonio might have delayed this. Maybe they did think there would be more to address and the lack of progress prompted today's release.

All other things being equal, though, I would have preferred that they got this boiler plate out of way 7-10 days ago. If need be they could have issued an update if there was any progress one way or the other by the D.A.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 28/02/17, 04:15 pm

Steve81 wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Agreed. By about a week.
Maybe he thought there would be something concrete happening by now. I know we should be thinking about the alleged victims but it is hard on the MSU staff and players also.

There's nothing in that statement that couldn't have been said before spring practice started.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 28/02/17, 04:23 pm

It's a pretty vanilla statement. It's basic PR to get ahead of something. They didn't. You don't need an outside law firm to tell you that, and I'm not sure you'd have a law firm investigating how the staff handled it and also advising them when to put out a statement.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 28/02/17, 04:40 pm

I'm sure it was the University's call, with vetting/counsel from the law firm that they hired. That's all I'm saying. I don't disagree that they could have made the call earlier. Perhaps there are reasons but we are not privy to them. Either way I find it highly doubtful that Coach D prepared and issued this statement on his own and decided when he was going to release it on his own.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 28/02/17, 04:49 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'm sure it was the University's call, with vetting/counsel from the law firm that they hired. That's all I'm saying. I don't disagree that they could have made the call earlier. Perhaps there are reasons but we are not privy to them. Either way I find it highly doubtful that Coach D prepared and issued this statement on his own and decided when he was going to release it on his own.

I don't think he wrote it either.

But, they hired a law firm to investigate how the staff handled the situation. It would be a conflict for that same law firm to advise Dantonio on what to say (and when to say it). I'm sure the University has PR experts/legal counsel to handle making vanilla statements.

The only issue I can see with timing would be if the investigation included Dantonio. If he has/had been (hypothetically) cleared by the outside law firm, then (maybe) a statement would have been cleared by the University.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 28/02/17, 05:53 pm

Blanch32 wrote:so we just lead from formal letters now. sounds effective
You expect Dantonio to lead the general public? Did I miss him getting elected to political office? Or you think this was a letter to the football team, because he hasn't otherwise seen them/talked to them? Not sure how you interpret this as leading, or even an attempt to lead.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 28/02/17, 06:03 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Steve81 wrote:Maybe he thought there would be something concrete happening by now. I know we should be thinking about the alleged victims but it is hard on the MSU staff and players also.

There's nothing in that statement that couldn't have been said before spring practice started.

But why did it need to be said before spring practice? Blah blah, PR reasons, whatever. I'm talking practical reasons. It's a nothing statement now, and it would have been a nothing statement then. It's an ongoing investigation that he can't comment publicly on regarding any specifics, so all you're going to get is nothing statements. Why does it make you feel better to get a nothing statement? Why would it make you feel even better to have gotten a nothing statement a week ago? It reminds me of when people acted like they had a right to know why Max Bullough was suspended. Ok, maybe that wasn't a legal issue (or maybe it was), but unless/until there are charges, how is this any different than not commenting on Max?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 28/02/17, 06:08 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:so we just lead from formal letters now. sounds effective
You expect Dantonio to lead the general public? Did I miss him getting elected to political office? Or you think this was a letter to the football team, because he hasn't otherwise seen them/talked to them? Not sure how you interpret this as leading, or even an attempt to lead.

you worry about my interpretation? LOL
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 28/02/17, 06:25 pm

Blanch32 wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
You expect Dantonio to lead the general public?  Did I miss him getting elected to political office?  Or you think this was a letter to the football team, because he hasn't otherwise seen them/talked to them?  Not sure how you interpret this as leading, or even an attempt to lead.

No, just trying to make sense out of your post, wondering how someone sees a PR letter as an attempt to lead.  I know, that was my first mistake, trying to make sense out of a post of yours.  Shame on me.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 28/02/17, 07:10 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Steve81 wrote:Maybe he thought there would be something concrete happening by now. I know we should be thinking about the alleged victims but it is hard on the MSU staff and players also.

Too bad you didn't run into MD, LAKS, or MH, so you could tell them that. It's not too late for an email.

Last edited by tGreenWay on 28/02/17, 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 28/02/17, 08:16 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

No, just trying to make sense out of your post, wondering how someone sees a PR letter as an attempt to lead.  I know, that was my first mistake, trying to make sense out of a post of yours.  Shame on me.

didnt see the hollis or laks letters yet?

you know who hasn't ever written a similar letter? izzo
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 28/02/17, 09:50 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

But why did it need to be said before spring practice? Blah blah, PR reasons, whatever. I'm talking practical reasons. It's a nothing statement now, and it would have been a nothing statement then. It's an ongoing investigation that he can't comment publicly on regarding any specifics, so all you're going to get is nothing statements. Why does it make you feel better to get a nothing statement? Why would it make you feel even better to have gotten a nothing statement a week ago? It reminds me of when people acted like they had a right to know why Max Bullough was suspended. Ok, maybe that wasn't a legal issue (or maybe it was), but unless/until there are charges, how is this any different than not commenting on Max?

It doesn't make me feel better. I think the statement could (and should) have been made earlier. I think it's better to address it as early as possible, so it doesn't appear you're hiding from it. That's just basic PR.

You have to assure people that you're handling the situation (even if you're just waiting for the process to play out).

I don't think you can compare this to the Bullough situation at all. Was he kicked out of on campus housing? Were there comments from the police? And the prosecutor?

If you think it was better to wait (and not say anything), I disagree.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 28/02/17, 09:51 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Too bad you didn't run into MD, LAKS, or MH, so you could tell them that. It's not to late for an email.

Obviously someone thought it was wise to get a statement out. If you disagree with that...maybe you should contact MD, LAKS, or MH.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 28/02/17, 11:06 pm

NigelUno wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Too bad you didn't run into MD, LAKS, or MH, so you could tell them that. It's not to late for an email.

Obviously someone thought it was wise to get a statement out. If you disagree with that...maybe you should contact MD, LAKS, or MH.

Will you please show me where I even hinted that the ststement shouldn't have been released? Meanwhile, maybe you can share with us why you think it was so critical for MD to issue a statement last week as opposed to today. That seems to be the issue you have with today's release -- approximately seven days.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 28/02/17, 11:36 pm

IMO Dantonio should have released a statement or held a quick presser before spring practice started on Saturday... or better yet on Saturday. But whatever...he did so a few days later. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 28/02/17, 11:49 pm

Nordic wrote:IMO Dantonio should have released a statement or held a quick presser before spring practice started on Saturday... or better yet on Saturday. But whatever...he did so a few days later. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

Exactly, although I don't agree about MD having a PC. Everyone will ask the same questions and he'll answer them all with the same "I can't comment." Those aren't great optics. Better to keep MD away from the cams when the topic is sexual assault until the police and Title IX investigations are complete and people are charged or not.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 01/03/17, 12:01 am

It's really super precarious right now. I'm not a lawyer type but I would imagine it would be a nightmare to name or acknowledge the 3 (we all know who they are) "officially" before any and all of the 3 have been named in any of the 1743 investigations that are currently underway. If those kids get cleared in any/all of the investigations.....that opens up the door for lawsuits galore. It's probably best for Coach D to avoid all of that shit to the fullest extent possible at this time.

Fuck. What a fucked up situation.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 01/03/17, 12:02 am

Yeah, in no way should he release names.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 01/03/17, 06:54 am

Blanch32 wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

didnt see the hollis or laks letters yet?

you know who hasn't ever written a similar letter? izzo
And what does that have to do with anything? How are Hollis and LAKS PR letters an attempt to lead?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 01/03/17, 07:52 am

tGreenWay wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Will you please show me where I even hinted that the ststement shouldn't have been released? Meanwhile, maybe you can share with us why you think it was so critical for MD to issue a statement last week as opposed to today. That seems to be the issue you have with today's release -- approximately seven days.

I think a statement was overdue.

At the latest, something should have been released before spring practice started.

That's just my opinion. I think I've outlined the basic reasons why.

Sorry that you disagree.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 01/03/17, 08:39 am

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

It doesn't make me feel better. I think the statement could (and should) have been made earlier. I think it's better to address it as early as possible, so it doesn't appear you're hiding from it. That's just basic PR.

You have to assure people that you're handling the situation (even if you're just waiting for the process to play out).

I don't think you can compare this to the Bullough situation at all. Was he kicked out of on campus housing? Were there comments from the police? And the prosecutor?

I think it's irrelevant whether he waited or not. Who cares about "basic PR". When has Dantonio ever handled legal things in "basic PR" ways? That's one of his great qualities, that he doesn't let "basic PR" dictate what he does.

Did you think that the lack of a statement meant that he wasn't handling the situation? Is there something in that letter that now made you think, "Oh, ok, if I knew that, I would have felt much better a week ago."
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 01/03/17, 09:19 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I think it's irrelevant whether he waited or not. Who cares about "basic PR". When has Dantonio ever handled legal things in "basic PR" ways? That's one of his great qualities, that he doesn't let "basic PR" dictate what he does.

Did you think that the lack of a statement meant that he wasn't handling the situation? Is there something in that letter that now made you think, "Oh, ok, if I knew that, I would have felt much better a week ago."

You think it's irrelevant? So, it would have been OK to say nothing? I disagree.

It's not a great quality to say nothing in a situation like this.

You can't compare it to the Bullough thing. That's silly.

It's a basic statement. It doesn't make me feel better. But, it's a statement that needed to be made. Obviously, someone felt that way and a statement came out. It was overdue in my opinion.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 01/03/17, 11:53 am

just listened to Comparoni a little bit on Staudt..

(this post brought to you by our friends at Tasty Twist.. take a five dollar bill and treat the entire family!)

Comp was very hesitant to really say anything.. lots of stuttering, etc - even Tim kinda called him out on it. He likely doesn't know a lot of anything and, therefore, doesn't have that much he can say with confidence - which makes for an awkward ten minute radio interview.

He also didn't have nice things to say about the Scates kid who de-committed. He was trying to be diplomatic but finally just said that he has heard from "good sources" that MSU was pulled away from him. Not the other way around.

so... believe what you will.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 01/03/17, 12:31 pm

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

You think it's irrelevant? So, it would have been OK to say nothing? I disagree.

It's not a great quality to say nothing in a situation like this.

You can't compare it to the Bullough thing. That's silly.

It's a basic statement. It doesn't make me feel better. But, it's a statement that needed to be made. Obviously, someone felt that way and a statement came out. It was overdue in my opinion.

I said the timing is irrelevant. I didn't say it's ok to say nothing ever. At some point, yes, it will have to be addressed, because he'll have to do press conferences, and it's fair to explain if a coach has been fired or players have been kicked off the team.

You say it's not a great quality to say nothing in a situation like this. But what did his statement say? Nothing. What would it have said a week ago? Nothing. You prefer a statement that says nothing, to not saying anything? I could care less either way, because whether there are words on a piece of paper/screen, or no words at all, both say the same thing: Nothing.

You said before that you have to show that you're handling the situation. Over the last week, prior to yesterday, did you think that Dantonio was not handling the situation at all?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 01/03/17, 01:09 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Exactly.
"The pro forma statement came out now so he must just be getting on top of the situation and started to care about it and take it seriously."
Balderdash.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next