Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The political hodge podge thread

+28
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
NumbersDude
aualum06
TrapperGus
Jake from State Farm
MiamiSpartan
The Pantry
Heat Miser
Watch Out Pylon!
Dendrobates
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
NigelUno
BobSaget
xsanguine
Travis of the Cosmos
tGreenWay
Da Mayor
Rocinante
Robert J Sakimano
Other Teams Pursuing That
I.B. Fine
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
msugolfguy
AnomanderRake
Turtleneck
32 posters

Page 6 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by Cameron 2017-12-08, 16:41

I mean, yeah, it was fucked up. But they were responding to reports of a guy sticking a rifle out a hotel window, so they were going in hot. And the cop was more than clear that if the guy reached behind his back again, he was going to get shot, and he reached behind his back again anyway.

Doesn't necessarily make what happened to him okay (it's indisputable that police need better training in responding to situations like this and many others), it's fairly obvious that the police tactics used there caused the guy to panic and get himself shot. But if I were on the jury, I wouldn't have convicted that cop of murder either, at least based on what I know about the whole deal (which isn't much, I just googled the victim's name and clicked the first WaPo thing that had video, so I might be missing some crucial information that would change my perception).
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-08, 16:49

Cameron you also don’t know anything about the police training or tactics that your conclusion assumes he followed correctly.

Which... considering he got fired... is pretty much an admission that he didn’t do something right there on the part of the department.

Personally I’m curious about the “drunk guy crawl toward me on all fours after I just spent 5 minutes pointing a gun at you screaming and I swear if you flinch im going to murder you” tactic. Seems like it would be much safer for everyone if he just keeps his hands in the air and you go cuff him. But then again I’m pretty sure the guy wanted to murder him so there’s that.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-08, 17:00

Yeah I don't agree at all Cameron. I don't know anything about police training or tactics either but it was pretty clear the guy didn't present a threat almost immediately and the asshole wouldn't even let him get a word out. And you can't just say I'm going to shoot you if don't do exactly what I say and then call it justified. If you don't hop on one foot and make a sound exactly and I mean EXFUCKINGZACKLY like an aardvark in distress - I'm going to kill you because I'm a cop.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-12-08, 17:13

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Cameron you also don’t know anything about the police training or tactics that your conclusion assumes he followed correctly.

Which... considering he got fired... is pretty much an admission that he didn’t do something right there on the part of the department.

Personally I’m curious about the “drunk guy crawl toward me on all fours after I just spent 5 minutes pointing a gun at you screaming and I swear if you flinch im going to murder you” tactic. Seems like it would be much safer for everyone if he just keeps his hands in the air and you go cuff him. But then again I’m pretty sure the guy wanted to murder him so there’s that.

I hadn't considered whether or not his tactics comported with his training. That is a valid point worth considering.

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yeah I don't agree at all Cameron. I don't know anything about police training or tactics either but it was pretty clear the guy didn't present a threat almost immediately and the asshole wouldn't even let him get a word out. And you can't just say I'm going to shoot you if don't do exactly what I say and then call it justified. If you don't hop on one foot and make a sound exactly and I mean EXFUCKINGZACKLY like an aardvark in distress - I'm going to kill you because I'm a cop.

Some of the stuff with crossing legs and pushing yourself up to your knees BUT KEEP YOUR LEGS CROSSED shit was ridiculous. Ordering him not to reach behind his back was reasonable, in my opinion. And I don't think I ever called it justified, I hope I didn't. But there's middle ground between "dude deserved it" and "cop straight murdered him," and I am somewhere in the middle on this one given the information I currently have. I agree that the guy didn't seem threatening, seemed very fearful (and understandably so), and the cop's tactics obviously put him on edge and probably precluded him from thinking clearly and complying perfectly. But they were responding to reports of a rifle being stuck out a hotel window, right? Did the cop know when he shot the dude that it was just a pellet gun? Considering what happened in Vegas in October, if he didn't know it was a pellet gun, it would be understandable for the cops to be on edge there. I don't think he should get his job back or anything, I'm just saying that if I were on that jury, I wouldn't have felt good about convicting him of murder.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-08, 23:49

Cameron wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Cameron you also don’t know anything about the police training or tactics that your conclusion assumes he followed correctly.

I hadn't considered whether or not his tactics comported with his training. That is a valid point worth considering.

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yeah I don't agree at all Cameron. I don't know anything about police training or tactics either but it was pretty clear the guy didn't present a threat almost immediately and the asshole wouldn't even let him get a word out. And you can't just say I'm going to shoot you if don't do exactly what I say and then call it justified. If you don't hop on one foot and make a sound exactly and I mean EXFUCKINGZACKLY like an aardvark in distress - I'm going to kill you because I'm a cop.

Some of the stuff with crossing legs and pushing yourself up to your knees BUT KEEP YOUR LEGS CROSSED shit was ridiculous. Ordering him not to reach behind his back was reasonable, in my opinion. And I don't think I ever called it justified, I hope I didn't. But there's middle ground between "dude deserved it" and "cop straight murdered him," and I am somewhere in the middle on this one given the information I currently have. I agree that the guy didn't seem threatening, seemed very fearful (and understandably so), and the cop's tactics obviously put him on edge and probably precluded him from thinking clearly and complying perfectly. But they were responding to reports of a rifle being stuck out a hotel window, right? Did the cop know when he shot the dude that it was just a pellet gun? Considering what happened in Vegas in October, if he didn't know it was a pellet gun, it would be understandable for the cops to be on edge there. I don't think he should get his job back or anything, I'm just saying that if I were on that jury, I wouldn't have felt good about convicting him of murder.

This was in 2016 fwiw. I understand your point somewhat but the approach was so fucking awful. You don't let the guy say a word and tell him if he does you'll shoot him? If I were that dude the first thing I would have said would have been sir I'm unarmed, I have a pellet gun in the room. And that asshole probably would have cut me off at "sir" and told me to shut the fuck up before he shoots me.

I would have felt really good about convicting him of murder after watching that video. It was painfully, painfully obvious that this dope was not posing a threat the way he was complying and crying and not able to follow directions. This motherfucker was looking for a reason to shoot him.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-09, 00:31

Note- he etched “you’re fucked” into his gun. The jury wasn’t told that.

This fucker wanted to kill someone. Didn’t matter who.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-12-09, 07:27

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Cameron wrote:

This was in 2016 fwiw. I understand your point somewhat but the approach was so fucking awful. You don't let the guy say a word and tell him if he does you'll shoot him? If I were that dude the first thing I would have said would have been sir I'm unarmed, I have a pellet gun in the room. And that asshole probably would have cut me off at "sir" and told me to shut the fuck up before he shoots me.

I would have felt really good about convicting him of murder after watching that video. It was painfully, painfully obvious that this dope was not posing a threat the way he was complying and crying and not able to follow directions. This motherfucker was looking for a reason to shoot him.

I hadn't thought it through enough to realize that the actual shooting happened a while ago. That changes things for me a bit. Without the Vegas shooting in the back of the cop's mind, there's way less reason/excuse for his tactics.

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Note- he etched “you’re fucked” into his gun. The jury wasn’t told that.

Yeah, that's painting a different picture than the one I had in my head. I think I've changed my mind on this one.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-12-09, 07:33

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Note- he etched “you’re fucked” into his gun. The jury wasn’t told that.

Why the fuck wasn’t the jury told that? Isn’t that relevant?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-12-09, 07:38

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Why the fuck wasn’t the jury told that? Isn’t that relevant?

Lawyer shit. Our justice system is stupid.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-10, 11:54

Nothing we don't already know. But good opinion piece from guy who grew up in a racist family that has fully bought into Trumpism.

https://amp.thedailybeast.com/fascism-runs-in-my-american-family?__twitter_impression=true

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-12-10, 11:58

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Nothing we don't already know. But good opinion piece from guy who grew up in a racist family that has fully bought into Trumpism.

https://amp.thedailybeast.com/fascism-runs-in-my-american-family?__twitter_impression=true

I suspect during the Obama years they were {ahem} "concerned about big government" and were proud tea partiers.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-12-10, 12:26

We have a President who has made fun of of a reporter with cerebral palsy
Same President vilifies a Federal Judge because he's of Mexican heritage
The President said he admires the leadership style of Putin and Erdogan
President Trump has stated he wants libel laws changed to sue reporters
This week the President wants reporters fired for inaccurate tweets
Called an afro American football player a SOB
A president supporting an Alabama US Senate candidate who agrees with Putin's treatment of homosexuals and thinks the Bible superscedes the US Constitution.

There are several others and if you don't think the shit flows from the top you are very naive
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-12-27, 15:09

Not a super political article, but makes me think about politics:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/why-luck-matters-more-than-you-might-think/476394/
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-01-09, 16:55

Rick Perry told to fuck off with this nonsense.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-01-10, 11:27

Working for NASA has to suck if you're working on the huge projects.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-01-11, 18:21

This guy is a disgusting twatwaffle
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-01-11, 18:39

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:This guy is a disgusting twatwaffle
Seconded.

Is this because of President Big Boy’s shithole comment or something else?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-01-11, 18:41

The comment deserves its own thread, not be lost in a sea of asshat trump comments.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-01-11, 18:44

Well then start one greenway. I look forward to expounding on why the fuck someone would leave Norway to come here.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-01-11, 18:45

I would like to move to Norway.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-01-11, 18:57

Like anybody in Norway wants to come here.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-01-11, 19:08

Norway seems like a very nice place to be.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-01-11, 19:10

Considering a lot of shithole states and shithole counties elected Trump should tread a bit more lightly.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-01-11, 19:12

I don’t think they think of themselves as living in a shithole grr I dunno just an idea
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-01-11, 19:39

IB4 Nordic.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-01-11, 19:43

Whatever. Guys our fucking president. Yay.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-01-11, 19:54

Three more f'in years of this shit.

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-01-11, 20:11

Statue of Liberty plaque to be recast. It will read:

Give me your tired, your your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free unless their from shithole countries in Africa or Haiti. We’d rather have Norwegians.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-01-11, 20:12

Slavinia. Now that’s a shit hole country.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-01-11, 20:20

Donald Trump is a shithole.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-01-18, 10:32

Paul Ryan is a transparent douchebag. And I don't mean just because hes as white as the pure driven snow.

The political hodge podge thread - Page 6 11-paul-ryan-time-p90x-2.w190.h190.2x

"Oh you don't want to vote for the CHIP extension? Well you must hate kids huh?"

And then the president steps right on his dick.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-01-21, 21:59

The political hodge podge thread - Page 6 502811600

Paul Ryan gets half a million from Koch after tax vote.
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/koch-paysout-to-ryan-after-taxlaw_us_5a63ce41e4b0dc592a09697c?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000016&section=politics
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-01-22, 06:13

DWags wrote:The political hodge podge thread - Page 6 502811600

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/koch-paysout-to-ryan-after-taxlaw_us_5a63ce41e4b0dc592a09697c?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000016&section=politics
[lolz]
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-01-22, 09:24

One way to look at it....

Groundhog Day in America

One year after his inauguration, the voters who supported Trump have rarely changed their minds about how they see this unique figure in American politics. For a year and a day, most of the news they intake about him has been negative — sometimes, it is his fault; sometimes, it’s not; most of the time, it is a combination of both — delivered by a press that still struggles with trying to figure out how this disruptive, un-presidential, blunt, and sometimes uncouth man appeals to anyone.

As one gentleman at the rally, an engineer from suburban Pittsburgh and a Trump supporter, put it, “For me, it’s like Groundhog Day every day. I get up, read the news, he says something that no president has ever been caught saying out loud, the press explodes, and they spend the day talking about how awful he is and wonder how anyone could support him.”

“I go to bed, wake up, and it’s the same thing all over again,” he said.

“Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I think the press is too hard on him. It’s that I don’t think they were as equally hard on the last guy, and I voted for both of them,” he said of both former President Barack Obama and Trump.

And yes, he thinks Trump is doing a great job.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-01-22, 09:37

DWags wrote:The political hodge podge thread - Page 6 502811600

I mean they literally admitted that it was all about their donors before they even passed it so, like, yeah.

http://fortune.com/2017/12/04/republican-tax-bill-donors/
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-01-22, 15:23

Might have been some premature irrational exuberance for the MidTerms.....

Ned Ryun Verified account @nedryun 2h2 hours ago

This @CNN poll has Dems up only 5% in a generic Congressional poll. The exact same poll by CNN in December had Dems up 18%. https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/21/politics/cnn-poll-midterm-elections-generic-congressional/index.html … #MAGA #tcot
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-01-22, 16:49

LooseGoose wrote:Might have been some premature irrational exuberance for the MidTerms.....

Ned Ryun Verified account @nedryun 2h2 hours ago

This @CNN poll has Dems up only 5% in a generic Congressional poll. The exact same poll by CNN in December had Dems up 18%. https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/21/politics/cnn-poll-midterm-elections-generic-congressional/index.html … #MAGA #tcot
thanks for the mainstream media link.

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-01-22, 16:50; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-01-22, 16:50

LooseGoose wrote:One way to look at it....

Groundhog Day in America

One year after his inauguration, the voters who supported Trump have rarely changed their minds about how they see this unique figure in American politics. For a year and a day, most of the news they intake about him has been negative — sometimes, it is his fault; sometimes, it’s not; most of the time, it is a combination of both — delivered by a press that still struggles with trying to figure out how this disruptive, un-presidential, blunt, and sometimes uncouth man appeals to anyone.

As one gentleman at the rally, an engineer from suburban Pittsburgh and a Trump supporter, put it, “For me, it’s like Groundhog Day every day. I get up, read the news, he says something that no president has ever been caught saying out loud, the press explodes, and they spend the day talking about how awful he is and wonder how anyone could support him.”

“I go to bed, wake up, and it’s the same thing all over again,” he said.

“Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I think the press is too hard on him. It’s that I don’t think they were as equally hard on the last guy, and I voted for both of them,” he said of both former President Barack Obama and Trump.

And yes, he thinks Trump is doing a great job.
thanks for the mainstream media link.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-01-22, 21:16

The political hodge podge thread - Page 6 DULSsnvVoAAwsFn
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-01-22, 21:21

LooseGoose wrote:The political hodge podge thread - Page 6 DULSsnvVoAAwsFn
Wow where was that goose?

Lol jk that’s from last year it didn’t take me very long to figure that out but I bet one of your sweet sources posted it as if it was from this weekend and you ate it up.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next