Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official 2018 General College Football Thread

+31
Turtleneck
Bill Cain
CORNER BLITZ
Blaine Fabin
I.B. Fine
Death Roe
Other Teams Pursuing That
Senior Dickfist
Cameron
Dr. Strangelove
TheReal_LWS
Heat Miser
AvgMSUJoe
NigelUno
MSU addict
Robert J Sakimano
Clarett's Folly
kingstonlake
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
pulling69
Watch Out Pylon!
aualum06
DWags
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Tim Wakefield
Nordic
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
35 posters

Page 4 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next

Go down

Official 2018 General College Football Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Official 2018 General College Football Thread

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-07, 13:17

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
aualum06 wrote: They want paid go pro. NFL and NBA early entry rules should both be removed. Enjoy your free education that tons of us would gladly take. Most of them aren't smart enough to realize the opportunity they have been given with all the free stuff they are being handed.
I tend to lean this direction... if they decide to stay at MSU over the course of 4 years, they are getting paid.. about $100,000.. along with other benefits associated with being a D-I athlete in the Big Ten.

https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-college-athletes-are-worth-2013-3

Even by the 2013 numbers your number falls way short of the fair market value.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Official 2018 General College Football Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Official 2018 General College Football Thread

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-07, 13:20

Fair market value of an MSU b-ball player in 2013 according to the study was 740k.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-07, 13:24

steveschneider wrote:
aualum06 wrote: They want paid go pro. NFL and NBA early entry rules should both be removed. Enjoy your free education that tons of us would gladly take. Most of them aren't smart enough to realize the opportunity they have been given with all the free stuff they are being handed.

All the ‘free’ stuff they are handed Falls welll short of their market value. Because this free stuff is a good deal for you or me does not make it a good deal for them. I agree with you they should do away with the one and done and nfl entry rules.

I'm with you both on this. They should be free to take any job they can get, like all Americans.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-07, 13:39

Rocinante wrote:

I would present a caveat that often, scholarship athletes don’t have access to the resources they are “handed” during the off-season or during holidays or over the summer. They should.

I agree. They also get free training and exposure to prepare them for the next level that 98% of them aren't ready mentally or physically to play at and even with the college and education most will never be a super star pro.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-07, 13:39

I wonder if Brandon Jennings had it to do all over again if he would chose the over seas route.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-08-07, 13:43

I don't even care if we pay college athletes, just stop punishing them for profiting off of their own names and likenesses. It's unamerican as hell.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-07, 14:06

Cameron wrote:I don't even care if we pay college athletes, just stop punishing them for profiting off of their own names and likenesses. It's unamerican as hell.

Agreed and would be a major fix for the sport. A violin prodigy can get a full ride to Juliard and there's nothing stopping them from playing in the pit on Broadway, teaching lessons, busking on the Subway and getting compensated quite well for it. The restrictions they put on athletes is complete BS.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-08-07, 15:00

Our DL should look something like this:

Sweat
Raequan/Panasiuk
Evans/N. Jones
Willekes

With King and Robertson on deck. Fuck
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-08-07, 17:07

While I have no problem with paying players, fair market value, earning money off of one's likeness, etc, etc there is one factor that can't be overlooked and that is the level of competition on the field. The genius violin player at Julliard doesn't make the violin player at NYU School of Music any less successful.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-07, 17:48

Clarett's Folly wrote:While I have no problem with paying players, fair market value, earning money off of one's likeness, etc, etc there is one factor that can't be overlooked and that is the level of competition on the field. The genius violin player at Julliard doesn't make the violin player at NYU School of Music any less successful.

If either one of those fuckers were 6’2” 225 LBs and could run a 4.45 40, we’d all know what you mean by this. Till then, I still see Bellushi smashing that little guitar in animal house.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-08-07, 18:45

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:I don't even care if we pay college athletes, just stop punishing them for profiting off of their own names and likenesses. It's unamerican as hell.

Agreed and would be a major fix for the sport. A violin prodigy can get a full ride to Juliard and there's nothing stopping them from playing in the pit on Broadway, teaching lessons, busking on the Subway and getting compensated quite well for it. The restrictions they put on athletes is complete BS.
But there aren't Juliard alums that are going to be promising them those income opportunities solely based on whether they choose Juliard over some other music school.

If you want college athletes to earn fair market value for what they do, then why even have this guise of college sports? Just eliminate the aspect of "college" from it altogether. No school, no grades, no HS diploma at all required.

To pay athletes, and keep them as students, etc., then you're going to have gender equality issues out the ass to contend with. Ok, yeah, let the argument be that women's track doesn't bring in any income like football and basketball. Think that will work? The requirements to have X number of scholarships for female athletes isn't based on what has the most interest or generates the most income. Why would that change when it comes to paying players? And then, if that became the case where they did pay athletes based on fair market value, etc., then you'll instantaneously have countless lawsuits claiming that the schools don't promote the female sports as much as they do the men's sports, which reduces the exposure and earning potential of those female athletes.

I don't see any possible way to pay athletes, and maintain the "college" in college sports without paying every scholarship athlete in all varsity sports at all schools (at least by division) the exact same thing, and where anything beyond that is just as illegal as it is today.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-08-07, 19:37

DWags wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:While I have no problem with paying players, fair market value, earning money off of one's likeness, etc, etc there is one factor that can't be overlooked and that is the level of competition on the field. The genius violin player at Julliard doesn't make the violin player at NYU School of Music any less successful.

If either one of those fuckers were 6’2” 225 LBs and could run a 4.45 40, we’d all know what you mean by this. Till then, I still see Bellushi smashing that little guitar in animal house.

Hahaha! Fair enough.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-07, 20:41

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I tend to lean this direction... if they decide to stay at MSU over the course of 4 years, they are getting paid.. about $100,000.. along with other benefits associated with being a D-I athlete in the Big Ten.

https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-college-athletes-are-worth-2013-3

meh - it's a privilege to play college football. I don't think the "free market value" applies to a privilege. If the players are upset about it, they can find a way to pay for tuition like the rest of us.

(admittedly, I admit I'm being overly-simplistic. It's certainly possible that I don't fully grasp the gravitas of the circumstance).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-07, 21:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

meh - it's a privilege to play college football. I don't think the "free market value" applies to a privilege. If the players are upset about it, they can find a way to pay for tuition like the rest of us.

(admittedly, I admit I'm being overly-simplistic. It's certainly possible that I don't fully grasp the gravitas of the circumstance).

Gravitas? Did you get some Word of the Day toilet paper?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-08, 05:58

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: meh - it's a privilege to play college football. I don't think the "free market value" applies to a privilege. If the players are upset about it, they can find a way to pay for tuition like the rest of us.

Gravitas? Did you get some Word of the Day toilet paper?
Back of a box of Kelloggs Sugar Smacks.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-08-08, 07:59

I consider myself a capitalist. If you pay free market value to athletes then those who don't play football or basketball, playing a sport that doesn't generate revenue, youd have to pay to play. I agree with Bob, it's a privilege and you get free tuition.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-10, 20:23

Apparently Mayland had an olineman get heat stroke, did nothing for an hour, then called the medics and the kid died
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-08-10, 21:20

DJ Durkin prepares to launch his farewell tour this week.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24342005/maryland-terrapins-football-culture-toxic-coach-dj-durkin
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-10, 21:26

Clarett's Folly wrote:DJ Durkin prepares to launch his farewell tour this week.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24342005/maryland-terrapins-football-culture-toxic-coach-dj-durkin

Straight up dick. Have some guys who know him, complete fucking asshole. Jim Harbaugh disciple.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-08-11, 18:55

Administrative Leave

Canada is now interim HC, which is probably good for the Terps.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-11, 19:31

If anyone believes DJ Durkin just woke up one day at Maryland and decided to be that kind of prick to his players, I have a bridge to sell. Guarantee he was doing that shit at Michigan too. Guarantee
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-08-12, 08:35

Whatever the truth is (it is from the TMZ wannabe network, after all), he always seemed like a Grade A asshole. Just a punchable face to begin with. Poor sport, too. I always remember him well on to the white part of the sideline essentially trying to interfere with our player who was making a sideline catch. Just not something you see at a high level.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-12, 08:41

MiamiSpartan wrote:Whatever the truth is (it is from the TMZ wannabe network, after all), he always seemed like a Grade A asshole. Just a punchable face to begin with. Poor sport, too. I always remember him well on to the white part of the sideline essentially trying to interfere with our player who was making a sideline catch. Just not something you see at a high level.

Official 2018 General College Football Thread - Page 4 63242e10
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-08-12, 09:17

No way he ever coaches there again.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-08-12, 09:25

Garbage coach, garbage human.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-08-12, 10:15

DWags wrote:

Straight up dick. Have some guys who know him, complete fucking asshole. Jim Harbaugh disciple.

I don't think he was with Harbaugh for very long was he? Still sounds like a prick.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-12, 10:41

DWags wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Whatever the truth is (it is from the TMZ wannabe network, after all), he always seemed like a Grade A asshole. Just a punchable face to begin with. Poor sport, too. I always remember him well on to the white part of the sideline essentially trying to interfere with our player who was making a sideline catch. Just not something you see at a high level.

I used to be on the fence about the intention of this but I'm no longer there
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-12, 14:58

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:

I don't think he was with Harbaugh for very long was he? Still sounds like a prick.

He was with Harbaugh at Stanford for 2 or 3 years before their one year hookup at scum.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-12, 15:01

btw, I was one who thought he was going to be a successful head coach, but that was based on his resume, young age, and Ohio roots. Had no idea he was such an asshole. If your players hate you, and you do what he’s accused of doing, goodbye career.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-12, 17:19

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:

Two or three years, but my thought was that he is line Jim Harbaugh I probably used the wrong word. I have a feeling he didn’t start acting like that at Maryland. I heard he’s a dick to talk to, isn’t very friendly.

All that aside guys, the abuse stories we’re hearing from ESPN, I’ll slow my belief till a more credible source seconds them. Has any other source reported abuse stories?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-12, 17:51

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Two or three years, but my thought was that he is line Jim Harbaugh I probably used the wrong word.  I have a feeling he didn’t start acting like that at Maryland.  I heard he’s a dick to talk to, isn’t very friendly.  

All that aside guys, the abuse stories we’re hearing from ESPN, I’ll slow my belief till a more credible source seconds them. Has any other source reported abuse stories?

The problem with media anymore is that they stretch anything to fit their narrative, thus the doubts you're having on their accuracy.  

For years I mocked the local newspapers when the cops would do the "table picture" after a drug bust.  They would place 5-6 long guns, a pistol or 2 and some amount of cashed fanned across a table along with a baggie of pot.  At first glance and without thinking it gave the impression that they had busted some really bad dudes......until you thought about it and realized in this county 80% of the homes would have the guns and a few $100 in cash.  The only thing illegal on the table was the little baggie of pot.

How does that relate to this case?   One of the "abuses" cited was the coaches yelling at a player that given his effort he was "stealing his scholarship".   It's a damned good thing those fragile flowers didn't play football 40 years ago.

I imagine Durkin's a prick, but come on get me better examples.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-12, 18:09

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Two or three years, but my thought was that he is line Jim Harbaugh I probably used the wrong word.  I have a feeling he didn’t start acting like that at Maryland.  I heard he’s a dick to talk to, isn’t very friendly.  

The problem with media anymore is that they stretch anything to fit their narrative, thus the doubts you're having on their accuracy.  

For years I mocked the local newspapers when the cops would do the "table picture" after a drug bust.  They would place 5-6 long guns, a pistol or 2 and some amount of cashed fanned across a table along with a baggie of pot.  At first glance and without thinking it gave the impression that they had busted some really bad dudes......until you thought about it and realized in this county 80% of the homes would have the guns and a few $100 in cash.  The only thing illegal on the table was the little baggie of pot.

How does that relate to this case?   One of the "abuses" cited was the coaches yelling at a player that given his effort he was "stealing his scholarship".   It's a damned good thing those fragile flowers didn't play football 40 years ago.

Maybe that’s just a really, really good baggie of pot, worthy of protection.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-12, 18:17

Conspiracy thought: ESECPN sure likes to bust on the B1G. Weird that there aren’t any shenigans being uncovered in the conference where the network gets its bread buttered.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-12, 18:19

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yeah, and better sources. Especially if you’re going to bury a guy in his chosen profession, which until now, he hasn’t been called out for. You’d think some real journalists are going back, chasing players he was responsible for on teams he coached years ago. It that’s responsible journalism. This is espn.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-08-15, 10:44

aualum06 wrote:
DWags wrote:

And to think all it took was a death of a Maryland player.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-15, 11:00

Clarett's Folly wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Well I don't usually lay around thinking about dj Durkin
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-08-15, 12:31

aualum06 wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

Well I don't usually lay around thinking about dj Durkin

Weirdo.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-08-15, 13:12

LSU and Clemson announced a home and home in 2025 and 2026. Battle of the Death Valley Tigers
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-15, 15:12

Tim Wakefield wrote:LSU and Clemson announced a home and home in 2025 and 2026. Battle of the Death Valley Tigers

That's actually sort of interesting.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2018-08-15, 20:25

I'm sure that LSU will still schedule McNeese State the second weekend in November. The SEC only playing 8 league games is bullshit
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next