Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey engineers, and Bob too, tell me what you think about these new bike gears.

+4
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
kingstonlake
DWags
8 posters

Go down

Hey engineers, and Bob too, tell me what you think about these new bike gears.  Empty Hey engineers, and Bob too, tell me what you think about these new bike gears.

Post by DWags 2018-07-28, 19:03

Pretty wild engineering idea

Hey engineers, and Bob too, tell me what you think about these new bike gears.  Cerami10
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Hey engineers, and Bob too, tell me what you think about these new bike gears.  Empty Re: Hey engineers, and Bob too, tell me what you think about these new bike gears.

Post by kingstonlake 2018-07-28, 19:20

I think it will grate Parmesan very well.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Hey engineers, and Bob too, tell me what you think about these new bike gears.  Empty Re: Hey engineers, and Bob too, tell me what you think about these new bike gears.

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-28, 19:40

Seems like your driving gear would take a lot of abuse on the leading edge. I would imagine slippage would become an issue with wear and the gear getting wet. Probably much better than a chain though when it's working right.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-07-29, 07:32

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Seems like your driving gear would take a lot of abuse on the leading edge. I would imagine slippage would become an issue with wear and the gear getting wet. Probably much better than a chain though when it's working right.
this is what I was gonna say.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-29, 11:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Seems like your driving gear would take a lot of abuse on the leading edge. I would imagine slippage would become an issue with wear and the gear getting wet. Probably much better than a chain though when it's working right.
this is what I was gonna say.

This is what I was gonna say.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-29, 11:34

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: this is what I was gonna say.

This is what I was gonna say.

This is what I knew you guys would say. Like anything, I’ll wait and see as it rolls out. I’ll read about the problems or success and make my decision in a year or so. I’m never the guy who is first to buy. Let the flaws work themselves out first. It looks cool.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2018-07-29, 12:08

I miss TempeTantrum
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-07-29, 15:42

Should decrease the power lost through transmission, compared to a chain and derailleur. Carbon fiber so while the driveline could weigh more, I would guess the decreased loss of power should make up for it.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-29, 16:07

Senior Dickfist wrote:Should decrease the power lost through transmission, compared to a chain and derailleur. Carbon fiber so while the driveline could weigh more, I would guess the decreased loss of power should make up for it.

Smartest mother fuckers on the planet. Engineers.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-07-29, 16:57

Should clarify, carbon fiber is light, but there should be a shaft within that could be "heavy". I would think aluminum could be utilized assuming the right alloy is chosen. May need to be seamless tubing which is pricey, but I'm sure that whole system is pricey...lol.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-07-29, 16:59

I really do like it though. A few motorcycle manufacturers use shaft driven drive trains.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 16:18

Senior Dickfist wrote:Should clarify, carbon fiber is light, but there should be a shaft within that could be "heavy". I would think aluminum could be utilized assuming the right alloy is chosen. May need to be seamless tubing which is pricey, but I'm sure that whole system is pricey...lol.

7075 should hold up to the stresses from your average dude pedaling. I'm sure everything has been run through FEA simulations.

For those not in the know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_method
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-07-31, 17:54

7xxx series suffers from stress corrosion cracking, but I'm sure it would work fine. I would start the FEA with 6082, which will cost less.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-31, 19:27

Senior Dickfist wrote:I really do like it though. A few motorcycle manufacturers use shaft driven drive trains.
Shaft drive motorcycles have been around since 1923. Think BMW was the first.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-31, 19:38

DWags wrote:
Senior Dickfist wrote:Should decrease the power lost through transmission, compared to a chain and derailleur. Carbon fiber so while the driveline could weigh more, I would guess the decreased loss of power should make up for it.

Smartest mother fuckers on the planet. Engineers.

OTPT and Pylon will tell you that science has proven it's because their ancestors ate the most Magic Mushrooms.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-31, 19:47

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Smartest mother fuckers on the planet.    Engineers.

OTPT and Pylon will tell you that science has proven it's because their ancestors ate the most Magic Mushrooms.

What are you talking about rube? Some of us are trying to have an adult conversation. We don't need your childish antics screwing up another thread.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down