Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toyota Prius

+17
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
Death Roe
AvgMSUJoe
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
Jake from State Farm
The Pantry
Turtleneck
Cameron
Nordic
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
I.B. Fine
Travis of the Cosmos
steveschneider
21 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Toyota Prius Empty Toyota Prius

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-18, 09:52

Any thoughts about this car? I have a feeling at one point Alan Watts would own one. Considering buying one. Was also considering leasing a BMW i3.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Toyota Prius Empty Re: Toyota Prius

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-01-18, 09:56

It reminds me of the 2006 Ford Fusion.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-18, 09:59

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:It reminds me of the 2006 Ford Fusion.

I was always a GM guy prior to my defection to Japanese vehicles and I haven't driven a Ford lately.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-01-18, 10:23

I think there's nothing wrong with owning a Prius, just be sure to get one that matches your purse.
Razz

I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-18, 10:29

A Prius isn’t going to be that great at hiding your insecurities Steve. Get a truck that matches your purse.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-01-18, 10:30

Seriously, would you consider buying something off lease, 3 years +/- old, often with some mfg warranty left. Even a decently equipped Camry blows away a Prius and you may even find an A4 or similar at the sane price point as the new Prius.
Probably cheap enough that the fuel difference is, at worst, insignificant.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-01-18, 10:31

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:A Prius isn’t going to be that great at hiding your insecurities Steve. Get a truck that matches your purse.
Ouch! Toyota Prius 502811600
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-01-18, 10:34

How do they handle in the snow? I always assumed they would suck at best.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-01-18, 10:43

steveschneider wrote:Any thoughts about this car? I have a feeling at one point Alan Watts would own one. Considering buying one. Was also considering leasing a BMW i3.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-18, 10:43

I.B. Fine wrote:Seriously, would you consider buying something off lease, 3 years +/- old, often with some mfg warranty left. Even a decently equipped Camry blows away a Prius and you may even find an A4 or similar at the sane price point as the new Prius.

Yeah, that's not bad advice. I was looking at a few Corolla's and Honda's. I definitely buy certified used that is 3-5 years old.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-01-18, 10:54

steveschneider wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:Seriously, would you consider buying something off lease, 3 years +/- old, often with some mfg warranty left. Even a decently equipped Camry blows away a Prius and you may even find an A4 or similar at the sane price point as the new Prius.

Yeah, that's not bad advice. I was looking at a few Corolla's and Honda's. I definitely buy certified used that is 3-5 years old.

The cost of virtue signalling is high. Even a decently equipped Corolla is a step up from a Prius, driving-wise and you'll get at least 150K on them with basic maintenance
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-18, 10:55

Floyd Robertson wrote:How do they handle in the snow? I always assumed they would suck at best.

I factored that in. I get to work from home so no commuting and there's only a few snow storms a year anymore.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-01-19, 13:33

Ugliest vehicle on the road. #2 is a distant second.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-20, 09:58

TheReal_LWS wrote:Ugliest vehicle on the road. #2 is a distant second.

I agree but I’ve always had a pretty unique view on cars and ownership. All I ask of my car is to get me from point a to point b, not break down, and not hit my wallet that hard. Given that criteria the Prius seems like a good option. For the record my approach prior to this was to proudly own and drive a beater. My last beater was uglier than any Prius on the road. The Civic lasted 200k miles and everytime I filled up the tank I doubled the value of the car.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-20, 10:08

I.B. Fine wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

The cost of virtue signalling is high. Even a decently equipped Corolla is a step up from a Prius, driving-wise and you'll get at least 150K on them with basic maintenance

I’m going to test drive a Corolla and Prius this week. I think your advice on the Corolla is great. Finding some 2016 LE’s with under 30k miles for around 13-14k.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-01-20, 12:15

Buy American, steve. If you want a hybrid or fully electric, there are domestic options.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-20, 13:06

Cameron wrote:Buy American, steve. If you want a hybrid or fully electric, there are domestic options.

I wish I could. But when stuff like the US auto industry came crying to the government for a big bailout they got 17.4 billion and fast forward to 2018 right before Christmas GM cuts 14k jobs. GM sells more cars in China and they make more cars in China. Also, I have an in law that bought a Chevy Cruze and the car is the biggest piece of shit on the planet. He’s ready to dump the thing at no value and he still has a chunk of his loan to go. Chevy should refund everyone that bought that car and anyone that bought one I guarantee they feel ripped off and won’t buy a GM car again.

Last, GM and Ford are banking on SUVs again. Good luck with that. Their first financial melt down happened whengas spiked during the Bush years and no one could afford to put 4-5 dollars a gallant of gas into a car that got 12mpg. Gas is a finite resource and it’s price fluctuates due to geo political factors. Hopefully the Next time gas spikes and American car manufacturers that based their business model on producing gas guzzlers come looking for a bailout hopefully the American tax payers tell them to go get bent. Tell them to ask their Chinese customers for a bailout.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-20, 13:08

Hasn’t the whole “buy merican” thing been put to rest? Like some foreign makers’ cars are built MORE in the US compared to the merican companies?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-20, 13:51

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Hasn’t the whole “buy merican” thing been put to rest? Like some foreign makers’ cars are built MORE in the US compared to the merican companies?

If I was buying a pickup truck very likely I’d buy American my only allegiance is to value and quality.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2019-01-20, 15:28

They're ugly but they get like 50 mpg's. My sister has one and she loves it because she drives long distances and doesn't have to fill up much. She bought snow tires for hers and said they work great. That's all I got.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-01-20, 16:26

y2kMgrad wrote:They're ugly but they get like 50 mpg's. My sister has one and she loves it because she drives long distances and doesn't have to fill up much. She bought snow tires for hers and said they work great. That's all I got.
The big hybrid advantage is in town, stop and go driving, on the freeway, they're nothing special.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-20, 16:49

I.B. Fine wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:They're ugly but they get like 50 mpg's. My sister has one and she loves it because she drives long distances and doesn't have to fill up much. She bought snow tires for hers and said they work great. That's all I got.
The big hybrid advantage is in town, stop and go driving, on the freeway, they're nothing special.

The one I’m looking at gets 51 city and 48 highway. The Corolla,s and Honda’s I’ve looked at get around 39 hwy and 29 city. I think your take about Corollas was a rock solid one. They give you really good gas mileage and are a great bang for the buck. I still might go for the Prius but I should know better after my next test drive.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-01-20, 17:06

Floyd Robertson wrote:How do they handle in the snow? I always assumed they would suck at best.

Mine does fine in the snow and running over cars.

Toyota Prius C063c321ef103f5dbf5443e2fa417ce3

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-01-20, 17:13

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:Buy American, steve. If you want a hybrid or fully electric, there are domestic options.

I wish I could. But when stuff like the US auto industry came crying to the government for a big bailout they got 17.4 billion and fast forward to 2018 right before Christmas GM cuts 14k jobs. GM sells more cars in China and they make more cars in China. Also, I have an in law that bought a Chevy Cruze and the car is the biggest piece of shit on the planet. He’s ready to dump the thing at no value and he still has a chunk of his loan to go. Chevy should refund everyone that bought that car and anyone that bought one I guarantee they feel ripped off and won’t buy a GM car again.

Last, GM and Ford are banking on SUVs again. Good luck with that. Their first financial melt down happened whengas spiked during the Bush years and no one could afford to put 4-5 dollars a gallant of gas into a car that got 12mpg. Gas is a finite resource and it’s price fluctuates due to geo political factors. Hopefully the Next time gas spikes and American car manufacturers that based their business model on producing gas guzzlers come looking for a bailout hopefully the American tax payers tell them to go get bent. Tell them to ask their Chinese customers for a bailout.

Steve this is a pretty bad take tbh. First off- GM paid back every dime they were required to pay back on that bailout. Secondly, it’s fine to complain about layoffs, but not when you tie it to bailouts. Those people that will lose jobs would have lost them in 2008 without that bailout. From the sounds of it you think that would have been preferable? That’s silly.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-01-20, 17:20

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Hasn’t the whole “buy merican” thing been put to rest? Like some foreign makers’ cars are built MORE in the US compared to the merican companies?
Tired argument the result of skewed numbers and fake news.  

Been in the business over 40 years and the auto industry has been getting more complicated every passing year.  

The UAW was created before WWII to protect workers rights, which was completely necessary then.  However, the UAW got greedy over the years.  Their demands grew to excess and held US auto companies hostage with strikes or threats of them.

You young folks probably don't know that Japanese vehicles were incredible piles of shit before the mid/late 80's.  Rust buckets and mostly unreliable.  Cheapest interiors.  Except for the Datsun (now Nissan) Z series they were all pathetic performance-wise.  And, I still chuckle when seeing someone driving a new Jap pickup. They'll never get those right.

Watched the House hearings when they were grilling the Big 3 back in 2009.  I doubt many of those House folks even knew the time of day much-less had any clue about the auto industry, throwing barbs and looking down their noses. Bunch of hypocrites...especially after throwing close to a trillion to the banking industry to bail it out.

Buy American, Steve.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-20, 17:29

Way to put zero of the “tired argument, skewed numbers, fake news” thing to bed, with your 40 years of experience. Unless your experience has resulted in the ability to throw out a ethnic slur. Good post.

Steve, a big piece of capitalism that these same patriots love to ramble on about - is a “free” market. Buy what you want (speaking of hypocrites)...
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-20, 17:48

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Steve this is a pretty bad take tbh. First off- GM paid back every dime they were required to pay back on that bailout. Secondly, it’s fine to complain about layoffs, but not when you tie it to bailouts. Those people that will lose jobs would have lost them in 2008 without that bailout. From the sounds of it you think that would have been preferable? That’s silly.

Paid back the loan but we bought a lot of their stock and I don’t think the gov did too hot on that investment. Just looked it up Uncle Sam took a 10.5 billion loss on GM stock. Either way my point is we paid a lot of money to save jobs that ended up going away.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-20, 17:50

The Pantry wrote:
Tired argument the result of skewed numbers and fake news.  

Been in the business over 40 years and the auto industry has been getting more complicated every passing year.  

The UAW was created before WWII to protect workers rights, which was completely necessary then.  However, the UAW got greedy over the years.  Their demands grew to excess and held US auto companies hostage with strikes or threats of them.

You young folks probably don't know that Japanese vehicles were incredible piles of shit before the mid/late 80's.  Rust buckets and mostly unreliable.  Cheapest interiors.  Except for the Datsun (now Nissan) Z series they were all pathetic performance-wise.  And, I still chuckle when seeing someone driving a new Jap pickup. They'll never get those right.

Watched the House hearings when they were grilling the Big 3 back in 2009.  I doubt many of those House folks even knew the time of day much-less had any clue about the auto industry, throwing barbs and looking down their noses. Bunch of hypocrites...especially after throwing close to a trillion to the banking industry to bail it out.

Buy American, Steve.

From what I’ve read Toyota makes a lot of the Corolla’s in Mississippi and GM makes more of their cars in China. My how the world has been turned on it’s head.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2019-01-20, 17:53; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-01-20, 17:50

steveschneider wrote:

Paid back the loan but we bought a lot of their stock and I don’t think the gov did too hot on that investment. Just looked it up Uncle Sam took a 10.5 billion loss on GM stock. Either way my point is we paid a lot of money to save jobs that ended up going away.

Your point doesn’t stand up because if the government didn’t pay then they would have gone away 10 years ago.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-01-20, 17:59

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Way to put zero of the “tired argument, skewed numbers, fake news” thing to bed, with your 40 years of experience. Unless your experience has resulted in the ability to throw out a ethnic slur. Good post.

Steve, a big piece of capitalism that these same patriots love to ramble on about - is a “free” market. Buy what you want (speaking of hypocrites)...
You're a petty snowflake thinking "Jap" is an ethnic slur.

Sure, send the profits overseas :poop:
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-20, 18:00

Snowflake. Fake news. Skewed numbers. Yet not one piece of information disputing the initial point. Yawn.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-01-20, 18:04

Could dig up factual information but not worth my time. You'd find a way to twist it. It's what libs do.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-20, 18:09

steveschneider wrote:

Your point doesn’t stand up because if the government didn’t pay then they would have gone away 10 years ago.

Well next time they need a bail out they can ask China for some help.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-20, 18:09

Toyota Prius 502811600 Nothing like letting a poster own himself. These posts are gold.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-01-20, 18:10

steveschneider wrote:

Why do you hate American workers steve
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-20, 18:13

steveschneider wrote:

I love American workers, just don’t see why we should put money into a company that makes a bad product and is going to end up laying them off or replacing them with robots.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-01-20, 18:16

steveschneider wrote:

I love American workers, just don’t see why we should put money into a company that makes a bad product and is going to end up laying them off or replacing them with robots.

They could have been laid off or replaced 10 years ago steve but they weren’t.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-01-20, 18:42

steveschneider wrote:

You're spreading fake news, Steve.

Toyota Prius Jd_pow10

J.D. Power
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-20, 19:26

The Pantry wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Toyota Prius Jd_pow10

J.D. Power

I always thought JD power awards were bull.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-01-21, 18:13

The Pantry wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Toyota Prius Jd_pow10

J.D. Power

Wait. Ford? But the little dorky Chevy commercial guy told me Chevy was the most awarded car company!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next