Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody ever build a raised garden?

+8
Heat Miser
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
Nordic
tGreenWay
Jake from State Farm
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
12 posters

Go down

Anybody ever build a raised garden?   Empty Anybody ever build a raised garden?

Post by DWags 25/04/19, 08:47 am

I see the kits, that's not hard. I'm wondering how I prepare the soil under it. has anyone done this and what soil recipes did you use?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anybody ever build a raised garden?   Empty Re: Anybody ever build a raised garden?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 25/04/19, 08:53 am

You put dirt in the hole dwags
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anybody ever build a raised garden?   Empty Re: Anybody ever build a raised garden?

Post by Jake from State Farm 25/04/19, 09:16 am

All I did was put some landscape fabric down first to keep anything from growing up from underneath. Seems to work pretty well.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 25/04/19, 10:10 am

I built my own, DWags. The kits seemed small for the price, but if you don’t want anything big, they’d do well, and overall, it was less expensive than everything I put into my cedar beds.
Definitely use a weed fabric, and I speak from experience when I say don’t go on the cheap with that.
I used a 2 to 1 ratio of good topsoil to compost. Blended it all together. I know some just put the compost on top and let it leach down, but I wanted those roots getting top dollar poop.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 25/04/19, 11:39 am

I was talking to someone the other day that I've never seen anyone tend a suburban home garden for more that 2 years. It sounds fun the first year and people tell you how awesome it is and how they are one with nature. They give you some tomatoes, onions and asparagus from their garden. The next year it becomes a pain in the ass and they only give you a tomato. Year 3 they have a dirt patch in their yard.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 25/04/19, 11:52 am

if you're talking an ornamental garden (versus vegetable garden), make sure you utilize a good organic compound for soil that drains well, use a higher-end fabric to keep weeds at bay.. be creative, plant various annuals for consistent color throughout the beds, while sprinkling in perennials that allow for intermittent color and growth.. utilize plants that compliment each other while maintaining a contrast with the house and rest of the property.

I've planted a lot of grasses over the years (they also transplant well in the fall) - miscanthus, fescues, pennisetum, etc - they provide a great height and depth throughout the summer and into the fall while also feathering out with a plume in the fall (most do, anyway).

if you're considering a vegetable garden, I have no idea - my wife just goes to Whole Foods.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 25/04/19, 12:02 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

if you're talking an ornamental garden (versus vegetable garden), make sure you utilize a good organic compound for soil that drains well, use a higher-end fabric to keep weeds at bay.. be creative, plant various annuals for consistent color throughout the beds, while sprinkling in perennials that allow for intermittent color and growth.. utilize plants that compliment each other while maintaining a contrast with the house and rest of the property.

I've planted a lot of grasses over the years (they also transplant well in the fall) - miscanthus, fescues, pennisetum, etc - they provide a great height and depth throughout the summer and into the fall while also feathering out with a plume in the fall (most do, anyway).

if you're considering a vegetable garden, I have no idea - my wife just goes to Whole Foods.

This guy gardens.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 25/04/19, 12:11 pm

Nordic wrote:I was talking to someone the other day that I've never seen anyone tend a suburban home garden for more that 2 years. It sounds fun the first year and people tell you how awesome it is and how they are one with nature. They give you some tomatoes, onions and asparagus from their garden. The next year it becomes a pain in the ass and they only give you a tomato. Year 3 they have a dirt patch in their yard.

Hopefully I only live in SE Michigan for 3 more years max. We'll see.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 25/04/19, 12:13 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

This guy gardens.
the key, really, is establishing the foundation of your garden, how you want it to reflect to those who might observe it, how much work you want to put into it, etc.

in all honesty, once you establish that - 90% of the work down the road is maintenance: spring clean up, weeding in the summer, watering as needed, cutting down perennials in the fall, along with splitting up and transplanting plants that have overgrown their space. I give away so many hostas and daylillies every fall to people - and those spaces come back even thicker the next season.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 25/04/19, 12:25 pm

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:I was talking to someone the other day that I've never seen anyone tend a suburban home garden for more that 2 years. It sounds fun the first year and people tell you how awesome it is and how they are one with nature. They give you some tomatoes, onions and asparagus from their garden. The next year it becomes a pain in the ass and they only give you a tomato. Year 3 they have a dirt patch in their yard.

Hopefully I only live in SE Michigan for 3 more years max. We'll see.

Someone else's problem then Anybody ever build a raised garden?   3493939353
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 25/04/19, 12:38 pm

"Weird" that I get an email from Popular Mechanics containing this article within a day of this thread creation.

How To Build a Raised Garden Bed
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 25/04/19, 12:48 pm

Heat Miser wrote:"Weird" that I get an email from Popular Mechanics containing this article within a day of this thread creation.

How To Build a Raised Garden Bed

I've received two or three magazines in the mail recently with articles on how to build them, must be a big thing this year.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 25/04/19, 01:16 pm

I don't know how to raise a garden.. but I know how to raise the roof.

Anybody ever build a raised garden?   Giphy

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 25/04/19, 01:55 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't know how to raise a garden.. but I know how to raise the roof.

Did you take that at the Springsteen concert where Courtney Cox got up on stage and "Danced in the dark?"

BTW, that guy looks like Mike Stone, from Stoney and Jamie. He's also a big Boss fan.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 25/04/19, 02:03 pm

That does happen. Tomatoes can be especially frustrating, particularly to someone in their first couple of years. You can overwater them, you can underwater them, and the one I especially love, where it’s not your fault whatsoever—they can get blight. I went three years in a row getting blight, and it’s damn maddening. Now I use a copper fungicide to pretreat tomato plants. Had a good year last year and we’ll see about this season.
Gardening isn’t the easiest and definitely not the cheapest way to get vegetables, but as you mentioned, I’m one of those who finds it very relaxing (except for that motherf%$|€$&!!! blight). And the truth is, there really isn’t a better tasting vegetable than one that was just picked from your own yard. I’m not one to eat raw tomatoes often, but I love how they taste when I grow them.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 25/04/19, 02:05 pm

And DWags, remember to plant a few marigolds around your tomato plants. The smell keeps away certain insects that would otherwise munch on your babies.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 25/04/19, 02:14 pm

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't know how to raise a garden.. but I know how to raise the roof.

Did you take that at the Springsteen concert where Courtney Cox got up on stage and "Danced in the dark?"

BTW, that guy looks like Mike Stone, from Stoney and Jamie. He's also a big Boss fan.
yep - that is literal footage of me at a Springsteen show.. courtesy of my wife. Anybody ever build a raised garden?   502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 25/04/19, 02:38 pm

Made a raised garden. First year rocked. Tomatoes for days... By the third year we had some sort of fungus... couldn't get the tomatoes to grow past July. So the wife planted jalapenos. Got 4 bags of frozen jalapenos in the freezer if anyone wants some.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 25/04/19, 03:03 pm

tGreenWay wrote:And DWags, remember to plant a few marigolds around your tomato plants. The smell keeps away certain insects that would otherwise munch on your babies.

Dear tGreenThumb,

How do I keep the deer and rabbits from eating my hostas and flowers?

Thanks,
Nordic
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 25/04/19, 03:42 pm

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:And DWags, remember to plant a few marigolds around your tomato plants. The smell keeps away certain insects that would otherwise munch on your babies.

Dear tGreenThumb,

Thanks,
Nordic

This.

Fuck. Rabbits. They annihilated my burning bushes a couple of winters ago. (Insert joke here)
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 25/04/19, 04:47 pm

I don't go Uber raised, just square foot gardens with moderate rise above ground. I keep a few patches normal for viney stuff. But, If I can get my old MF tractor running soon, I'm committed to a hoop-house green house this spring...which will also have square foot gardening underneath.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 25/04/19, 04:47 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Made a raised garden. First year rocked. Tomatoes for days... By the third year we had some sort of fungus... couldn't get the tomatoes to grow past July. So the wife planted jalapenos. Got 4 bags of frozen jalapenos in the freezer if anyone wants some.

Throw a popper party.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 25/04/19, 05:22 pm

Nordic wrote:

Dear tGreenThumb,

Thanks,
Nordic

No idea. I’ve never had a problem with deer, and rabbits don’t eat my hostas. I guess you could try planting allium. I use that to keep squirrels from eating tulips. No idea if your varmints dislike the smell of onion.
There’s also Liquid Fence, but IDK if it works. I used to use GreenScreen, but stopped because my dog would eat it and roll around in it. It’s all natural, and contains blood meal.
One last suggestion is spraying predator urine around your plants. I’m going to get some coyote urine to spray around the yard to scare off skunks. This store sells all sorts of animal piss: thepeemart.com.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 25/04/19, 05:44 pm

Wanna see my Tulips tGreenThumb? They just starting to pop.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 25/04/19, 06:00 pm

Co-worker has built his own raised beds (about 15" tall) out of cedar. Says it helps keep bugs away, which makes sense. Said he doesn't use any fabric. Uses a mix of topsoil, perlite, and worm castings (worm poop).

Worm Castings: Plant Superfood

Said to avoid Miracle Grow or similar products.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 25/04/19, 07:05 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Dear tGreenThumb,

Thanks,
Nordic

No idea. I’ve never had a problem with deer, and rabbits don’t eat my hostas. I guess you could try planting allium. I use that to keep squirrels from eating tulips. No idea if your varmints dislike the smell of onion.
There’s also Liquid Fence, but IDK if it works. I used to use GreenScreen, but stopped because my dog would eat it and roll around in it. It’s all natural, and contains blood meal.
One last suggestion is spraying predator urine around your plants. I’m going to get some coyote urine to spray around the yard to scare off skunks. This store sells all sorts of animal piss: thepeemart.com.

Just eat a lot of meat and then go out and piss on everything yourself.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 25/04/19, 07:24 pm

Nordic wrote:Wanna see my Tulips tGreenThumb? They just starting to pop.

Post em if you got em.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 25/04/19, 07:29 pm

The Pantry wrote:Co-worker has built his own raised beds (about 15" tall) out of cedar. Says it helps keep bugs away, which makes sense. Said he doesn't use any fabric. Uses a mix of topsoil, perlite, and worm castings (worm poop).

Worm Castings: Plant Superfood

Said to avoid Miracle Grow or similar products.

That’s interesting. Gonna have to give them a try.
Cedar does help with bugs, and it lasts longer. First time I built a square, I used wolmanized wood, forgetting about the chems leaching into the soil. Realized my idiocy, bought the cedar. Turned the treated bed over, on the 4”x4” feet, and turned it into a gardening prep table. Lemons, lemonade, yadda yadda yadda.

Good advice on Miracle Grow. It works, but I don’t want to eat that stuff.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 25/04/19, 07:30 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:Wanna see my Tulips tGreenThumb? They just starting to pop.

Post em if you got em.

I bet I could get my Cobb to grow 8 inches if Nordics tulips pop. But my cob has yellow bumps all over it and isn’t that attractive
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 25/04/19, 07:30 pm

Jake from State Farm wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Just eat a lot of meat and then go out and piss on everything yourself.

You mean more than usual? Imma have to drink more fluids.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 25/04/19, 07:32 pm

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Post em if you got em.

I bet I could get my Cobb to grow 8 inches if Nordics tulips pop. But my cob has yellow bumps all over it and isn’t that attractive

I’m afraid to ask what the hell this means.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 28/04/19, 05:16 pm

Here are the first of my Tulips tGreenThumb. These buds were straight from Amsterdam 3 years ago. The orange one is a quadruple?!?

Anybody ever build a raised garden?   20190413
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 28/04/19, 05:42 pm

Turtleneck pm'd a pic of Greenway's two lips

Anybody ever build a raised garden?   Yt1zcf10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 28/04/19, 06:08 pm

The rock makes the garden. Nice.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 28/04/19, 06:27 pm

The Pantry wrote:Turtleneck pm'd a pic of Greenway's two lips

Anybody ever build a raised garden?   Yt1zcf10

You're such a lib snowflake.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 28/04/19, 06:50 pm

You're such a great American
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 28/04/19, 07:21 pm

The Pantry wrote:You're such a great American

Anybody ever build a raised garden?   The-best-reactions-to-donald-trump-looking-directly-at-the-sun-during-the-eclipse-136420598186303901-170822110040

THIS
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down