Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any pond owners out there? Halp.

+14
Jake from State Farm
Turtleneck
Sponge Worthy
Giant Moose
PinkyTuscadero
Izzo Court
AMwood
Tankster
Roger Waymeth
ROtown Sparty
Nordic
tGreenWay
tTy
WhiteBoyHatcher
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any pond owners out there? Halp.  Empty Any pond owners out there? Halp.

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:19 am

I struggle to classify what I have as a "pond", but it probably fits the technical definition. It was here when we bough the joint and I have kept it going. It's probably 3 feet wide by 4 feet long and 3 feet deep with a little shelf. Maybe 350 gallons max. I have a filter, a pump and a small bell fountain. The pump connects to the filter for the "input" and the fountain for the "output".

I have no fish, no plants, just water. I kinda like it.

This year, for whatever reason, my water is green. I can't keep the algae out. I have invested probably $200 in chemicals alone this year (algae out, green out, ph balance, blah blah blah). None of it has fixed the problem. I got fed up and refilled the thing last week and now it's pea soup green again.

I recognize that a UV filter may be the answer here, but I don't know how to implement it with my simple setup. It has to be hooked in before the filter, right? I asked the dude at the best pond shop in the area (some place way the **** off M-59) how I could do it and he basically told me only way was to put another pump in. Is this true?

Any other suggestions?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Any pond owners out there? Halp.  Empty Re: Any pond owners out there? Halp.

Post by tTy Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:22 am

Just add zebra & quagga muscles, and two asian carp (one male, one female).

Done.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:38 am

Your cabana boy has the herp and you bespoiled the water when you tore off his Speedo and threw it in the pond.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:39 am

#Roundup
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 am

Mavens do you seriously have a pond? Didn't know.

I have never considered feish. Because I figure my dumbass dog would try to eat them. Plus don't they die in the winter?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:46 am

lol, no, I don't have a pond. I DO have a 90 gallon aquarium that I don't clean nearly enough. I could lend you a 13 inch plecostomus but that fucker does not do windows, so I don't know if he would be much help. Speaking of not doing windows, I should start calling that fucking thing "Beth".
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:47 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Mavens do you seriously have a pond? Didn't know.

I have never considered feish. Because I figure my dumbass dog would try to eat them. Plus don't they die in the winter?

Not if it's deep enough. And it's f-i-s-h, you fucking moran. Any pond owners out there? Halp.  502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:35 am

Hit up your local farm & garden store for copper sulfate. With your pond you won't need more than a cup or two a couple times a year, so get the smallest bag you can. Warning, if you do add fish copper sulfate will suck out the oxygen in the water and kill your fish if not done properly. No fish = dump it in and watch the algea go by by.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:43 am

Nordic wrote:Hit up your local farm & garden store for copper sulfate. With your pond you won't need more than a cup or two a couple times a year, so get the smallest bag you can. Warning, if you do add fish copper sulfate will suck out the oxygen in the water and kill your fish if not done properly. No fish = dump it in and watch the algea go by by.

Toxicity aspecks? Remember he lives with a medium sized horsh that will likely drink from that water source.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:06 am

Nordic wrote:Hit up your local farm & garden store for copper sulfate. With your pond you won't need more than a cup or two a couple times a year, so get the smallest bag you can. Warning, if you do add fish copper sulfate will suck out the oxygen in the water and kill your fish if not done properly. No fish = dump it in and watch the algea go by by.

That's great info. Going to have to try itself. I already use copper sulfate when a plant gets sick in the vegetable garden.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:09 am

tTy wrote:

Toxicity aspecks? Remember he lives with a medium sized horsh that will likely drink from that water source.

The horse will turn the color of a penny, however, the more it is exposed to the elements, the faster it will take on a greenish-blue patina.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:12 am

tGreenWay wrote:

The horse will turn the color of a penny, however, the more it is exposed to the elements, the faster it will take on a greenish-blue patina.  

Horsh.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:19 am

My horsh doesn't live with us. My stupid ass dog who is the size of a horsh does. She has never tried to drink the pond water before, so I doubt she would start now. I don't know what she would do about feish, though. She's pretty dumb.

Nordy I dig what yo're layin down. I will scope it manana
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:27 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My horsh doesn't live with us. My stupid ass dog who is the size of a horsh does. She has never tried to drink the pond water before, so I doubt she would start now. I don't know what she would do about feish, though. She's pretty dumb.

Dawg = tHorsh, FYI...

Before you kill off all the green shit, take a 5 gallon bucket of that shit and paint a block S on your super frennly neighbors driveway. He will totally dig it.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:30 am

tTy wrote:

Dawg = tHorsh, FYI...

Before you kill off all the green shit, take a 5 gallon bucket of that shit and paint a block S on your super frennly neighbors driveway.  He will totally dig it.

How fucked up is my life that I own two animals that can be referred to as Horsh(es)?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:33 am

And a barn cat who isn't allowed out of the laundry room...

Any pond owners out there? Halp.  502811600 Any pond owners out there? Halp.  502811600 Any pond owners out there? Halp.  502811600 

PS: I busted my one eyed cat pissing in my baffroom sink this AM when I was in the shower again. Little mother fucker.  Any pond owners out there? Halp.  901027492 Any pond owners out there? Halp.  901027492 Any pond owners out there? Halp.  901027492 Any pond owners out there? Halp.  901027492 
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by ROtown Sparty Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:42 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I struggle to classify what I have as a "pond", but it probably fits the technical definition. It was here when we bough the joint and I have kept it going. It's probably 3 feet wide by 4 feet long and 3 feet deep with a little shelf. Maybe 350 gallons max. I have a filter, a pump and a small bell fountain. The pump connects to the filter for the "input" and the fountain for the "output".

I have no fish, no plants, just water. I kinda like it.

This year, for whatever reason, my water is green. I can't keep the algae out. I have invested probably $200 in chemicals alone this year (algae out, green out, ph balance, blah blah blah). None of it has fixed the problem. I got fed up and refilled the thing last week and now it's pea soup green again.

I recognize that a UV filter may be the answer here, but I don't know how to implement it with my simple setup. It has to be hooked in before the filter, right? I asked the dude at the best pond shop in the area (some place way the **** off M-59) how I could do it and he basically told me only way was to put another pump in. Is this true?

Any other suggestions?
I am a new pond owner myself, but it's only been a couple weeks so I can't provide much help.  Mine sounds like about the same size though, does your fountain run all day long?  How often do you clean out the filter?

Mine has a fairly significant waterfall type deal that runs on a timer, a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the night.  When I hear a gurgling sound that means the filter needs to be cleaned out.  If it needs to be cleaned out too often I dump come chemical stuff in there and that usually helps a little.  I think we have a UV light but I'm not even sure.  We do have fish though, they look like goldfish but they might be koi.  Apparently they hibernate in the winter.

Last edited by ROtown Sparty on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ROtown Sparty
ROtown Sparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Waymeth Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:53 am

Add fish and plants and a algae killer (once or twice). Old rick preuss set us straight this spring when our water was consistently getting algified. Plants fight for the same nutrients the algae does, and my plants are winning now.
We use a little pond heater in the winter so it doesn't completely freeze, otherwise, the fish basically hibernate.
Roger Waymeth
Roger Waymeth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tankster Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:11 am

My parents used to have an oriental theme garden with a pond. It pretty much froze solid so they would setup a kiddie pool in basement over the winter for the goldfish.
Tankster
Tankster
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:36 am

we have a pond and a pool. the pond would be good for you.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am

Put sharks and piranhas in it. The piranhas eat the algae and the sharks eat the piranhas.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PinkyTuscadero Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:21 am

maybe try this stuff http://www.michigankoi.com/Hydra-Crystal-Got-Green-Water-LOOK-sc-319.html
PinkyTuscadero
PinkyTuscadero
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:24 am

Water is usually blue, right?
Urine is usually yellow, right?
Blue and yellow make green, right?

My advice is to stop pissing in your pond.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Waymeth Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:35 am

Can anyone help with any tips on how to get this guy out of my pond? I've tried leaving a trail of crackers, but nothing has worked.
Any pond owners out there? Halp.  Gilmor11
Roger Waymeth
Roger Waymeth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

I went through this with a pond about the same size as you describe..the only sure fire thing I fixed algae with was good old fashioned bleach. Just a tiny bit goes a long way, actually. And it's pretty harmless to animals and even fish until you get it too hot and the fish go titss up.

We got fed up with ours and took out 3/4 of it and made a rock garden out of it. The rest of it is now a simple waterfall that goes into a "bowl" area and pumps back around. I keep plenty of bleach in it.

I don't miss the focking work and hassles of a pond. They are not as relaxing as many think.

Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:47 am

Roger Waymeth wrote:Can anyone help with any tips on how to get this guy out of my pond?  I've tried leaving a trail of crackers, but nothing has worked.

I don't like the fancy crackers you leave. Saltines will do fine. Thanks.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:25 pm

I will try the bleach thing. I have some so should be easy.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Roger Waymeth wrote:Can anyone help with any tips on how to get this guy out of my pond? I've tried leaving a trail of crackers, but nothing has worked.

Take it easy on the guy. He's had trouble finding work ever since his contract got canceled by Burger King.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:21 pm

PinkyTuscadero wrote:maybe try this stuff http://www.michigankoi.com/Hydra-Crystal-Got-Green-Water-LOOK-sc-319.html

Some of the ballers might be able to afford some of the koi listed for sale on that website.

don't eat the koi
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:47 pm

PinkyTuscadero wrote:maybe try this stuff http://www.michigankoi.com/Hydra-Crystal-Got-Green-Water-LOOK-sc-319.html

Michigan koi? Pfffttt! That's like the Walmart of all the koi. I only buy Japanese koi.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:59 pm

I'd suggest shocking it. http://www.wikihow.com/Shock-Your-Swimming-Pool

This guy does it all the time.

Any pond owners out there? Halp.  Page-HGTV-Flip_or_Flop1013
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:16 pm

tTy wrote:

Toxicity aspecks?  Remember he lives with a medium sized horsh that will likely drink from that water source.

Better than fucking bleach
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:33 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My horsh doesn't live with us. My stupid ass dog who is the size of a horsh does. She has never tried to drink the pond water before, so I doubt she would start now. I don't know what she would do about feish, though. She's pretty dumb.

My dog swims and drinks in our pond all the time. And I'm pretty sure farmers use it in their water troughs.  Obv I have a bigger "pond".  It's about 75' x 75'.  I hit about 2-3 times a year, depending on algae blooms.   I'll do half the pond at a time with a about 5-10 cups. You probably only need a quarter cup to do it. Start small and add as necessary. If you were close, I'd zip you a baggie full. And if you are wondering if it is toxic, just Google it and use the correct dosage. Especially if you have fish (for others that are reading), you'll want to make sure you dose properly otherwise you'll have some nasty clean up on you hands.  The decaying algae sucks the oxygen out of the water and can kill you fish if you nuke it.

Long term, someone mentioned zebra muscles.  They would certainly do the trick, but I think they are illegal to transport (invasive species).  I think there are some snails you can order online (google it, it has been a while since I looked this up).  Algae eating fish work too, but you'll have to transport them inside in the winter unless you plan on keeping you pond from freezing over (oxygen).
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Nordic wrote:

My dog swims and drinks in our pond all the time. And I'm pretty sure farmers use it in their water troughs.  Obv I have a bigger "pond".  It's about 75' x 75'.  I hit about 2-3 times a year, depending on algae blooms.   I'll do half the pond at a time with a about 5-10 cups. You probably only need a quarter cup to do it. Start small and add as necessary. If you were close, I'd zip you a baggie full. And if you are wondering if it is toxic, just Google it and use the correct dosage. Especially if you have fish (for others that are reading), you'll want to make sure you dose properly otherwise you'll have some nasty clean up on you hands.  The decaying algae sucks the oxygen out of the water and can kill you fish if you nuke it.

Long term, someone mentioned zebra muscles.  They would certainly do the trick, but I think they are illegal to transport (invasive species).  I think there are some snails you can order online (google it, it has been a while since I looked this up).  Algae eating fish work too, but you'll have to transport them inside in the winter unless you plan on keeping you pond from freezing over (oxygen).

Snots, you roll over and let uncle clark rub your belly.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:52 pm

Where do you purchase this mystical compound?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:47 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Where do you purchase this mystical compound?

You gotta farm & garden store near you city slicker?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Chitown_Badger wrote:
Snots, you roll over and let uncle clark rub your belly.

Any pond owners out there? Halp.  Mwl-christmasvacation-2
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:53 pm

Nordic wrote:

You gotta farm & garden store near you city slicker?

Not really. Wife gets her horsh food up your way in Oxford. There's a Tractor Supply way North off of the Van Dyke expressway.

Other than that....Lowes, Home Depot and a bunch of nurseries - Bordines, English Gardens, etc.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Nordic wrote:

Better than fucking bleach

It's chlorine. It isn't very toxic at all. Hence it's universal use  Neutral 
Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Waymeth Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

I don't like the fancy crackers you leave. Saltines will do fine. Thanks.

Gotcha!
[img]Any pond owners out there? Halp.  Caddy10[/img]
Roger Waymeth
Roger Waymeth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next