Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come on get me fired up. Give me your favorite experience IN ANN ARBOR for an MSU/um football or basketball game.

+19
InTenSity
Cameron
Clarett's Folly
Travis of the Cosmos
Jake from State Farm
CORNER BLITZ
Other Teams Pursuing That
I.B. Fine
Floyd Robertson
Dendrobates
tGreenWay
Watch Out Pylon!
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
Bill Cain
NigelUno
duffy munn
Nordic
DWags
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Come on get me fired up. Give me your favorite experience IN ANN ARBOR for an MSU/um football or basketball game.  Empty Come on get me fired up. Give me your favorite experience IN ANN ARBOR for an MSU/um football or basketball game.

Post by DWags 2019-11-15, 21:14

Nordic while I enjoyed Kalin Lucas shot sitting with the Wordsmith and then leaving the place and slappies giving us a hard time and BM verbally slapping the shit out of them with sarcasm and facts my favorite was two years ago soaking wet watching my kid with the PB trophy on the field. Never going back to the big hole. That will be my last memory of that place.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Come on get me fired up. Give me your favorite experience IN ANN ARBOR for an MSU/um football or basketball game.  Empty Re: Come on get me fired up. Give me your favorite experience IN ANN ARBOR for an MSU/um football or basketball game.

Post by Nordic 2019-11-15, 21:38

End of the JLS or Bobby era, not sure which. UofM buddy of a buddy invited me and the wife to the game. We fucking sucked, but whatever, I'll go. A few days later he informs me my all-in price for the tix is $xxx each (some absurd amount), which includes the seat license fee. Me = WTF?!? Whatever, I'll still go. Great seats, 50 yard line by the tunnel. 10 year old wolvie brats are yelling obsentities at the team in the tunnel. Old Blues around us were less than welcoming. Giving us no room, etc. I didn't say a word. I was close to being on tilt as it was and just took deep breathes. Wife finally snapped at those around us. It made me laugh. Anyway, they ambush us in the first half. We walk up just before half to get food. I get a couple hot dogs and look for ketchup (yes, ketchup, don't hotdog snob my story). There is no ketchup. I try 3 bottles and they are all fucking empty. I snap and bounce a ketchup bottle off the table 10 feet in to the air and loudly voice my displeasure about the lack of ammenties in this "shit hole".  At that point we decided it was best to leave.

I hate that fucking place.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Come on get me fired up. Give me your favorite experience IN ANN ARBOR for an MSU/um football or basketball game.  Empty Re: Come on get me fired up. Give me your favorite experience IN ANN ARBOR for an MSU/um football or basketball game.

Post by duffy munn 2019-11-15, 21:40

I've been to the big hole about 5 times for MSU games. 2 times were to take my sons individually to give them a chance to see what the other side is like. We never won.

The worst was 49-3, the "don't know" game.
I will never go back.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-11-15, 21:46

duffy munn wrote:...

This is game in the above story

https://www.michigandaily.com/content/michigan-state-fires-football-head-coach

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-15, 21:50

Nordic wrote:End of the JLS or Bobby era, not sure which. UofM buddy of a buddy invited me and the wife to the game. We fucking sucked, but whatever, I'll go. A few days later he informs me my all-in price for the tix is $xxx each (some absurd amount), which includes the seat license fee. Me = WTF?!? Whatever, I'll still go. Great seats, 50 yard line by the tunnel. 10 year old wolvie brats are yelling obsentities at the team in the tunnel. Old Blues around us were less than welcoming. Giving us no room, etc. I didn't say a word. I was close to being on tilt as it was and just took deep breathes. Wife finally snapped at those around us. It made me laugh. Anyway, they ambush us in the first half. We walk up just before half to get food. I get a couple hot dogs and look for ketchup (yes, ketchup, don't hotdog snob my story). There is no ketchup. I try 3 bottles and they are all fucking empty. I snap and bounce a ketchup bottle off the table 10 feet in to the air and loudly voice my displeasure about the lack of ammenties in this "shit hole".  At that point we decided it was best to leave.

Come on get me fired up. Give me your favorite experience IN ANN ARBOR for an MSU/um football or basketball game.  502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-15, 21:52

Nordic wrote:
duffy munn wrote:...

This is game in the above story

https://www.michigandaily.com/content/michigan-state-fires-football-head-coach

I walked into that game with Hank Bullough. Yep. I’m big fucking timing all you mother fuckers. Hank took no shit from nobody going in. Was separated at sit down but he was giving shit to people going in.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-11-15, 21:58

No. 1 vs. No One

Running around on the field post-game.

Talking to Frank Beckman at a bar after the game.  He thought there was interference or something on some play.  Idiot.

Not sure if the ketchup bottles were full.

Last edited by NigelUno on 2019-11-15, 22:03; edited 2 times in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-11-15, 22:01

Nordic wrote:End of the JLS or Bobby era, not sure which. UofM buddy of a buddy invited me and the wife to the game. We fucking sucked, but whatever, I'll go. A few days later he informs me my all-in price for the tix is $xxx each (some absurd amount), which includes the seat license fee. Me = WTF?!? Whatever, I'll still go. Great seats, 50 yard line by the tunnel. 10 year old wolvie brats are yelling obsentities at the team in the tunnel. Old Blues around us were less than welcoming. Giving us no room, etc. I didn't say a word. I was close to being on tilt as it was and just took deep breathes. Wife finally snapped at those around us. It made me laugh. Anyway, they ambush us in the first half. We walk up just before half to get food. I get a couple hot dogs and look for ketchup (yes, ketchup, don't hotdog snob my story). There is no ketchup. I try 3 bottles and they are all fucking empty. I snap and bounce a ketchup bottle off the table 10 feet in to the air and loudly voice my displeasure about the lack of ammenties in this "shit hole".  At that point we decided it was best to leave.

As much as I like like this story I can't get past you wanting ketchup on a hot dog. Sorry Nordic but you really deserve to die for this.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-11-15, 22:05

If I didn't hate the place, I might go.

Good tickets for $70-75 on Stubhub.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2019-11-15, 22:20

I would expect the 2008 game was fascinating for MSU fans to finally beat UofM at home. Even if it was Rich Rods first year and the team sucked. 2010 eclipsed that and just carried on MSU dominance of the rivalry. Fun to kick ass when you’re team is good unlike the 2008 team. 2015 probably was the best game to be there, first year with Harbaugh. Set the tone. 2017 was a surprise in the rain. I was not even born for the 1990 game.

They were all fun but I think 2008 and 2015 would have given spartan fans the most excitement. By 2010 everyone knew Michigan sucked and they were overrated.
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-11-16, 07:12

Never had a desire to go there for any game. Being in a confined area with 100,000 assholes? No thanks. And you couldn't pay me to go for an MSU game, even if I knew we would win. Massive credit to you guys that have done it, you're more tolerant than me.

As far as ketchup on hot dogs? #TeamNordic, 100%.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-16, 08:30

I went there one time for an MSU game and they destroyed us. I remember the traffic cop was hurling insults at MSU fans and their intelligence. I thought that was very unprofessional.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-11-16, 10:36

I've been to the Big Hole one time ever. Buddy of mine got us tickets... in the student section. Rocking the colors of course. The whole section above us parted so the marshmallow throwers could get us. They had a bad aim and were still hitting the scUM slappies around us.

This was during the Bill Burke era. We lost big, but at least I showed out in green.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-16, 11:39

My first (and only) time in the big hole was Duffy’s last as HC: 1972. I was nine years old, and it was my first MSU/um game. Before kick-off, I didn’t really understand the meaning of a rivalry game; all I know is we were uncomfortably and inhumanely packed into a crappy stadium in ways that defy the laws of physics. I don’t know who the Fire Marshall was in ann arbor that day, but he was obviously taking bribes to look the other way when it came to our safety.
The man behind me with his knees jammed in my back was cheering for um, and the woman he was with, who sat behind my dad, was wearing green and white and cheering loudly for the Spartans. Knee guy was a homer in a michigan shirt. The jawing back and forth between the two kept up all game, and as best as I recall, seemed very tense to me. A nine year old can pick up on the tenor of a conversation, but without context, it can leave some kids confused, especially a buzzed-cut, dim-witted fat boy like myself. Some time after the first half, I asked my dad how come the two people were fighting, and dad explained what a rivalry game was. Well, I was there to cheer for my Spartans, and I think I felt gratitude that the woman behind us was on our side. Plus, the knee guy behind me was a jerk, and I remember she was good-looking, which is something I learned later was a common theme between our two schools.
Victory did not come to us that day, as Bo’s scummy team beat Duffy’s Spartans 10-0. I remember being so disappointed, a feeling I would get to know very, very well following the game between these two teams over the course of the next fifteen or so years. And as I was walking out of that shit hole with my dad, I saw um fans throwing things and shouting swear words at the papier mache Spartan head mascot as he slowly made his way into the tunnel. That Spartan was pissed, and before he walked out of sight, he flipped the finger at the blue and yellow fans, and gave them a hearty fuck you! before disappearing from sight. And while I had no idea what those words meant, I was so happy for my team’s mascot for not backing down, and for telling off those assholes. It was a big deal to a nine-year-old back then, and nearly fifty years later, not one thing has changed for that same boy: Fuck michigan.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-16, 11:48

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I've been to the Big Hole one time ever. Buddy of mine got us tickets... in the student section. Rocking the colors of course. The whole section above us parted so the marshmallow throwers could get us. They had a bad aim and were still hitting the scUM slappies around us.

This was during the Bill Burke era. We lost big, but at least I showed out in green.

Good stuff.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-16, 12:08

steveschneider wrote:I went there one time for an MSU game and they destroyed us. I remember the traffic cop was hurling insults at MSU fans and their intelligence. I thought that was very unprofessional.

Come on get me fired up. Give me your favorite experience IN ANN ARBOR for an MSU/um football or basketball game.  502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-16, 12:22

Why not run it twice there?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-11-16, 12:25

DWags wrote:Why not run it twice there?
I thought they looked pretty stacked at the line. At least I was thinking don't run and play action.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2019-11-16, 12:28

Defense is doing alright.

Lewerke still can’t pass worth shit though.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-16, 12:28

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:Why not run it twice there?
I thought they looked pretty stacked at the line. At least I was thinking don't run and play action.

Also if Lewerke throws it right at the goalposts we have a shot to catch a miracle
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-16, 12:35

get some points.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-11-16, 12:39

That was a great route by White and perfectly timed pass from Lewerke. BS overturning the TD call. Klatt is pissed.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-11-16, 12:39

There is touchdown. THere is touchdown!
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-11-16, 12:40

Our FB catching a TD at the shit house? Sounds nicely familiar.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-16, 12:40

Floyd Robertson wrote:That was a great route by White and perfectly timed pass from Lewerke. BS overturning the TD call. Klatt is pissed.

He’s right. Make it indisputable and that wasn’t.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-11-16, 12:45

BS PF on Shakur
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-11-16, 12:46

Horseshit call. Can't hit UM players that are in bounds?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2019-11-16, 12:46

Just because offense finally does something, doesn’t mean the defense needs to let up.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-11-16, 12:48

Dendrobates wrote:Just because offense finally does something, doesn’t mean the defense needs to let up.

This. Kind of disheartening.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-16, 12:53

Need to answer. At minimum a decent drive.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2019-11-16, 12:58

Wow I thought that was an off setting unsportsmanlike. MSU started it. I will take it
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-16, 13:00

Holy shit. That was horrible
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-16, 13:01

This is what we need. Just sustained drives.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-11-16, 13:02

Dendrobates wrote:Wow I thought that was an off setting unsportsmanlike. MSU started it. I will take it
Delayed offsetting call.....
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-11-16, 13:04

Damn, really needed that reception by White.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-11-16, 13:04

great punt. Get the 3 and out.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-16, 13:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:Damn, really needed that reception by White.

Would have been huge.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-11-16, 13:13

Defense needs to figure some shit out.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-16, 13:16

Floyd Robertson wrote:Defense needs to figure some shit out.

Yeah. Play of the first half might be white dropping the pass. A scoring drive here hurts big time.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-11-16, 13:18

They score here and our spirit is broken. 30 yards of penalties on one play after we were moving the ball, then letting them off the 1 yard line and all the way down. That's tough to overcome for a mentally fragile team short on confidence.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next