Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

+26
Bill Cain
CORNER BLITZ
The Pantry
aualum06
Tim Wakefield
MattyFresh
Robert J Sakimano
I.B. Fine
Jake from State Farm
Nordic
SawGreen
MiamiSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
steveschneider
Rocinante
DWags
Banks2Mason
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Death Roe
Cameron
30 posters

Page 19 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next

Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by Rocinante 2020-11-30, 22:14

That hair doesn’t do it for you huh Floyd? I’d imagine it’s rather popular with your tinder harem.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by tGreenWay 2020-12-19, 17:49

Finally watched 1917. Maybe I expected too much because of all the raves and award nominations, but I found this movie overrated. It’s not half the movie Saving Private Ryan was, and Mendes’ use of green screen was obvious and disappointing. Most of the time it felt like it was filmed on a set and not on location. The characters kept doing stupid stuff, which led to bad things happening.
I’d give it maybe a low 7.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-12-19, 20:54

Meanwhile, I continue finding myself enchanted during those rare occasions when I happen upon Pleasantville showing on cable and I have time to stop and watch. Can’t recall if I originally saw this when it was first released or if I watched it when it went to video, but it’s been a top ten favorite ever since. I even like low-key Tobey Maguire, and Don Knotts steals the few scenes he’s in the film. It’s a really clever work addressing a political topic.

Yes, I used the word enchanted to describe a movie-inspired emotion. Get over it. tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 19 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-12-20, 18:01

tGreenWay wrote:Finally watched 1917. Maybe I expected too much because of all the raves and award nominations, but I found this movie overrated. It’s not half the movie Saving Private Ryan was, and Mendes’ use of green screen was obvious and disappointing. Most of the time it felt like it was filmed on a set and not on location. The characters kept doing stupid stuff, which led to bad things happening.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the raves were based on it from a film-making perspective, such as the single camera shot for the entire movie. That was pretty incredible.

I'm not saying it is the greatest, but I liked it. WWI gets under-represented in movies and pop culture, so I appreciated it from that perspective. I thought the whole part going through the trenches and across no man's land, was brilliantly horrible. I have a strong stomach for violence and gore, and that was making it turn. It should. It was an unimaginable situation. It is the best visual representation I've seen of the horrors of typical WWI battlefields/trenches. In that, I liken it to the DDay landing scene in Saving Private Ryan. Both are among the most horrifying scenes I've ever seen in a movie.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-12-20, 18:05

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t think it actually was one long tracking shot. I think it was made to look like that. There are movies out there or at least episodes of tv shows that were one long shot. I think there’s one on the first season of true detective.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and WhiteBoyHatcher like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-12-20, 19:41

Rocinante wrote:Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t think it actually was one long tracking shot. I think it was made to look like that. There are movies out there or at least episodes of tv shows that were one long shot. I think there’s one on the first season of true detective.

No, not literally 2 hours or whatever without cutting. But lots of long spells following them, and creative cut points so that you don't really feel like there was ever a cut.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-12-20, 19:59

The short WWI scene from Legends of the Fall where Brad Pitts little brother gets mowed down still sticks with me.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-12-20, 19:59

Midnight Sky.

Not bad.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-12-20, 20:31

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Finally watched 1917. Maybe I expected too much because of all the raves and award nominations, but I found this movie overrated. It’s not half the movie Saving Private Ryan was, and Mendes’ use of green screen was obvious and disappointing. Most of the time it felt like it was filmed on a set and not on location. The characters kept doing stupid stuff, which led to bad things happening.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the raves were based on it from a film-making perspective, such as the single camera shot for the entire movie. That was pretty incredible.

I'm not saying it is the greatest, but I liked it. WWI gets under-represented in movies and pop culture, so I appreciated it from that perspective. I thought the whole part going through the trenches and across no man's land, was brilliantly horrible. I have a strong stomach for violence and gore, and that was making it turn. It should. It was an unimaginable situation. It is the best visual representation I've seen of the horrors of typical WWI battlefields/trenches. In that, I liken it to the DDay landing scene in Saving Private Ryan. Both are among the most horrifying scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

As Roc said, it’s not one continuous shot. And I didn’t dislike the movie; I found it overrated. I liked it. And yeah, I like that someone did a movie about WWI. But the green screen portions, especially at the beginning, were painfully obvious, as was the looping dialogue throughout. Like I said, it felt like most of the movie was filmed on set and not on location.

Slight spoilers ahead:

As to the realism of war wounded, I disagree. Only once did I feel uncomfortable, and that was when all the bodies had piled up against a natural dam. I actually felt something when the character was making his way past all those floaters. Early in the movie, when they were in the pit with all those corpses, it seemed only superficially real. Whereas, in Saving Private Ryan, I was seriously tensed up and slightly sick to my stomach for the first thirty minutes of the film and then again in later scenes.
Mendes tried to sell audiences on the one-shot gimmick and he couldn’t even do that right. 1917 doesn’t belong in the same breath as Ryan, Platoon, or Apocalypse Now, to name just three.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-12-20, 21:32

I didn't mean the war wounded, but rather the display of the overall conditions, the filth, the rats, the mud, the barbed wire, the lack as so much as a blade of grass alive for miles (which was contrasted later in the other field before the battle started, just to remind us of the before and after of a WWI battleground). I don't really have much of an eye for CGI, or at least dont think about it much. Or perhaps some of the first hand descriptions that I've read helped me feel the visuals more, where I could almost smell the stench.

FWIW, I dont put Saving Private Ryan in the same breath as Apocalypse Now, but that's just me. Very good movie, but Apocalypse Now is next level for me.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-12-28, 17:36

Watching Your Honor and The Night Of and enjoying both. The Night Of is a one season season story about a college age Pakistani boy who parties and has sex with a woman he finds dead in their bed the next morning. She’s sliced up big time.

Pretty sure Your Honor has already been discussed.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-12-28, 17:39

Also really enjoyed The King of Staten Island, with Pete Davidson, Marissa Tomei, and Bill Burr. Definitely a semi-autobiographical movie about Davidson, who helped write the script and produce the movie. Judd Apatow directs. Bill Burr is good in this.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-12-28, 18:43

A couple of others in this or the other thread recommended Ted Lasso on Apple TV+, and I want to support that recommendation. Great show. Funny, and also just a fun to watch with a pretty likeable cast. Lots of good puns and subtle jokes, which I like.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

WhiteBoyHatcher and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-12-28, 19:22

tGreenWay wrote:Watching Your Honor and The Night Of and enjoying both. The Night Of is a one season season story about a college age Pakistani boy who parties and has sex with a woman he finds dead in their bed the next morning. She’s sliced up big time.

Pretty sure Your Honor has already been discussed.
I enjoyed The Night Of. Great show.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-12-28, 22:09

Letterkenny season 9 review:

Episode 2 is great... The rest is meh.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-12-28, 22:24

Actually, 7 episodes and a couple were only like 20 min so it didn't even feel like a season.

"Kids with problems" is gold though.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-12-28, 22:37

How true is the movie Notorious?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-12-28, 22:47

Exaggerated.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-01-01, 13:12

Enjoying the annual "Twilight Zone" marathon on SyFy.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2021-01-01, 13:36

Anyone watch Vikings? I watched S1E1 the other night. Interesting enough to keep going. Worth it? No spoilers please.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-01-01, 13:41

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Anyone watch Vikings? I watched S1E1 the other night. Interesting enough to keep going. Worth it? No spoilers please.
Yes... The first 4-5 seasons are very good.

You'll know when to stop.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2021-01-01, 13:52

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Anyone watch Vikings? I watched S1E1 the other night. Interesting enough to keep going. Worth it? No spoilers please.

Yeah it's slow but it's pretty solid. I think there is half a season left to be released someday
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-01-01, 16:09

Hell yes, Vikings is awesome. Not kid friendly at all though.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-01-01, 16:20

Floyd Robertson wrote:Not kid friendly at all though.
Spoiler:
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-01-01, 19:34

aualum06 wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Yeah it's slow but it's pretty solid. I think there is half a season left to be released someday

Agree with this.

And the last half season was just released on Prime on December 30 (I haven't watched yet). It is the first network series season to be premiered on a streaming service first, I believe. It will be released on History Channel a few months down the road (I thought I heard 3-6 months).

They did this, because there is a sequel series that takes place 100-150 years later, which I believe will be on Prime.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-01-01, 19:58

MiamiSpartan wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Agree with this.

And the last half season was just released on Prime on December 30 (I haven't watched yet). It is the first network series season to be premiered on a streaming service first, I believe. It will be released on History Channel a few months down the road (I thought I heard 3-6 months).

They did this, because there is a sequel series that takes place 100-150 years later, which I believe will be on Prime.

I don't think I'll be around for that one.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-01-01, 22:22

kingstonlake wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Agree with this.

I don't think I'll be around for that one.

Have a little faith in science.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-01-01, 22:25

Just watched that movie about Doug Kenney 'A Futile and Stupid Gesture' that came out in 2018 on Netflix. I give it overall a C or a Meh. Would have been a perfect film to watch on a flight.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-01-01, 22:36

steveschneider wrote:Just watched that movie about Doug Kenney 'A Futile and Stupid Gesture' that came out in 2018 on Netflix. I give it overall a C or a Meh. Would have been a perfect film to watch on a flight.
yeah, film wasn't great, but I didn't know his story. Damn, dude had his hand in comedy that set the tone for a generation.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-01-01, 23:25

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Just watched that movie about Doug Kenney 'A Futile and Stupid Gesture' that came out in 2018 on Netflix. I give it overall a C or a Meh. Would have been a perfect film to watch on a flight.
yeah, film wasn't great, but I didn't know his story. Damn, dude had his hand in comedy that set the tone for a generation.

Looked like it was based on a book. I’d love to get something that cut out the dramatization and get the real scoop. He’s definitely an interesting subject.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-01-04, 14:01

Anybody watched Undone on Amazon. It’s presented in a animated form like A Scanner, Darkly which initially tuned me off, but after watching some episodes it’s actually really well acted and written. It’s kind of a psychological/ sci-fi drama. Worth a watch. The main character and the guy from Better call Saul are especially good.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-01-04, 14:13

Rocinante wrote:Anybody watched Undone on Amazon. It’s presented in a animated form like A Scanner, Darkly which initially tuned me off, but after watching some episodes it’s actually really well acted and written. It’s kind of a psychological/ sci-fi drama. Worth a watch. The main character and the guy from Better call Saul are especially good.

I watched The Undoing. Maybe that’s the prequel to your show. tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 19 2599972566
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-01-04, 14:19

It’s not, greenway but thanks.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-01-04, 14:21

BTW, for no explicable reason, that style of animation weirds me out.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-01-04, 14:24

Rocinante wrote:It’s not, greenway but thanks.

I know. Just thought I’d favor you with some written razzmatazz to start your week. You’re welcome.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2021-01-04, 16:46

Thanks for the heads up on vikings being in prime
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-01-04, 18:16

Did anyone suggest Perry Mason on hbo?

Just getting through it now. Damn good tv.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-01-04, 18:46

Also enjoying HBO's version of His Dark Materials... Seem to follow the books pretty closely (as far as I remember, been a couple years)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-01-04, 21:07

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Did anyone suggest Perry Mason on hbo?

Yeah I really like Matthew Rhys. Good show.

Although I was again disappointed by a prosthetic penis in one of the episodes.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-01-05, 09:35

Rocinante wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Did anyone suggest Perry Mason on hbo?

Yeah I really like Matthew Rhys. Good show.

Although I was again disappointed by a prosthetic penis in one of the episodes.
Yeah, made me uncomfortable with my manhood. Looking into surgical options.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next