Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I just don't care about this Astros thing at all

+8
NigelUno
steveschneider
tGreenWay
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
DWags
Floyd Robertson
WhiteBoyHatcher
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I just don't care about this Astros thing at all Empty I just don't care about this Astros thing at all

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 9:51

Do you?

Lots of outrage. Maybe I would care more if I were a Yankee or Dodger fan but I just don't think it's that big of a deal and tv and the internet seem to be trying to convince me otherwise.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I just don't care about this Astros thing at all Empty Re: I just don't care about this Astros thing at all

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 9:52

Don't care either. In fact, I think stealing signs should be legal.

That's why we built Enigma and won WWII.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

I just don't care about this Astros thing at all Empty Re: I just don't care about this Astros thing at all

Post by DWags Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 9:54

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Do you?

Lots of outrage. Maybe I would care more if I were a Yankee or Dodger fan but I just don't think it's that big of a deal and tv and the internet seem to be trying to convince me otherwise.

You just named the two largest media audiences in the world and you don't think it will become a big deal?

Remember when The Big Ten didn't do shit to OSU when it was a three way tie for a championship? MSU/Wisconsin/OSU and we would have gone to the Rosebowl? I mean it didn't kill me, and in the grand scheme of life it wasn't that big of a deal, but I was a bit miffed. So, I can imagine those fans and media markets being up in arms
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 9:59

Floyd Robertson wrote:Don't care either. In fact, I think stealing signs should be legal.

Arthur Scherbius built the Enigma. He was the German coder who created codes that were unbreakable.

Alan Turing was the guy from England who cracked it. He later killed himself because he was being persecuted for being homosexual. I think they pardoned him in death.

Look, I was a history major. Sorry.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:00

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Don't care either. In fact, I think stealing signs should be legal.

Arthur Scherbius built the Enigma. He was the German coder who created codes that were unbreakable.

Alan Turing was the guy from England who cracked it. He later killed himself because he was being persecuted for being homosexual. I think they pardoned him in death.

I was on a roll, dammit.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:06

DWags wrote:

They chemically castrated him first.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:07

I don’t care about this Astros thing either. Yeah sure punish them. Maybe the tigers can pick some of them up cheap.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:11

I can't remember the last time I cared about anything that had anything to do with baseball.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:11

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

I was on a roll, dammit.

Sign stealing is allowed, but not with the help of technology the way the Astros did it.

The only reason I don’t care about this is because the Tigers weren’t involved. If it had been Detroit that lost the series, I’d be in Houston right now busting kneecaps.

*understanding the Astros and Tigers wouldn’t meet in the WS.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:13

Not at all. Anyone that follows baseball knows that cheating is a huge part of the game. I just don't get all the weenies melting down about it. Going to have to buy some Astros gear to show my support.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:14

It was a bullshit punishment.

And the solution to the outrage is that the Commissioner wants them to say they're REALLY sorry...and mean it!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:15

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I was on a roll, dammit.

Sign stealing is allowed, but not with the help of technology the way the Astros did it.

The only reason I don’t care about this is because the Tigers weren’t involved. If it had been Detroit that lost the series, I’d be in Houston right now busting kneecaps.

What's the difference between a sign stolen off a tv screen vs a sign stolen anyother way?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:18

I don't care too much about baseball, period, anymore. I do find this story interesting, though. Particularly, the Astros don't seem very contrite, and I think they can expect a record number of beanballs headed their way this season. Their owner seems like a douche, and they've been an unlikable organization for years now, so it will be fun for everyone to hate them together.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:19

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

What's the difference between a sign stolen off a tv screen vs a sign stolen anyother way?

Ease, efficiency, and effectiveness. Plus, baseball fans are largely traditionalists who resent the intrusion of technology into the game.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:22

Yeah Cameron, I agree, that might be fun. I agree with Steve though, cheating is a part of baseball history and I kind of like it. Teams knew they were cheating, why didn't they speak up about it then? Now everyone wants their title stripped and they want Manfred fired. Yawn. It will probably happen, though. The lynch mob is just getting rolling.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:26

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

One is against the rules.

A runner on 2nd can try and steal a sign and alert the hitter, but then the catcher just changes signs. That's self policed.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:26

I'm assuming the opener for Houston will be on national TV. I'll tune in just for the beanballs.

The outrage is a bit over the top though. As is the new tradition in this country.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:27

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yeah Cameron, I agree, that might be fun. I agree with Steve though, cheating is a part of baseball history and I kind of like it. Teams knew they were cheating, why didn't they speak up about it then? Now everyone wants their title stripped and they want Manfred fired. Yawn. It will probably happen, though. The lynch mob is just getting rolling.

They probably weren't the only team cheating.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:28

I look forward to every team playing drum on garbage can sounds out of the speakers when the Astros are on the road. I imagine there will be some humorous responses. But that’s about it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:30

So we all agree? Good. Then it's settled.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:34

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

A runner on 2nd can try and steal a sign and alert the hitter, but then the catcher just changes signs.  That's self policed.  

Alright then, time for some self reflection. . Kenny Rogers had pine tar on his hand, threw some lights out games and flat out cheated. Maybe the Tigers should lose their ALCS banner from that year? Let's say they win the world series that year should they be stripped of the title?

Cheating is rampant in baseball. You guys know this right?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:37

the video of Phil Niekro throwing the file from his back pocket as the one umpire followed its orbit the ground will forever be one of the best "busted" videos in the history of sports.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:the video of Phil Niekro throwing the file from his back pocket as the one umpire followed its orbit the ground will forever be one of the best "busted" videos in the history of sports.

It's hysterical. So are those moments when an ump notices something strange about a broken bat and it's revealed that it was corked.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:38

I just don't care about this Astros thing at all 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:39

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:the video of Phil Niekro throwing the file from his back pocket as the one umpire followed its orbit the ground will forever be one of the best "busted" videos in the history of sports.

It's hysterical. So are those moments when an ump notices something strange about a broken bat and it's revealed that it was corked.
'zactly.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:42

Oops. Already posted. Never mind.

Last edited by Watch Out Pylon! on Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:45; edited 1 time in total
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:42

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

A runner on 2nd can try and steal a sign and alert the hitter, but then the catcher just changes signs.  That's self policed.  

Alright then, time for some self reflection. . Kenny Rogers had pine tar on his hand, threw some lights out games and flat out cheated. Maybe the Tigers should lose their ALCS banner from that year? Let's say they win the world series that year should they be stripped of the title?

That's policed by the umps on per game basis (maybe at the urging of opposing team's managers).

Video sign stealing isn't rampant. If it was, a lot of hitters would be getting thrown at. That wouldn't be good.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:47

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Are you arguing that cheaters ought not to be punished? What would be the point of rules, then?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 10:50

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Are you arguing that cheaters ought not to be punished? What would be the point of rules, then?

I'm all for beanball justice. Get caught cheating? Here comes a fastball off the hip. I'm also for bats getting tossed at pitchers too if they get caught cheating. Let's get medieval with it!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:03

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Rules should be enforced and the Astros paid a price. I also think right now it's a mob mentality against the Astros and they are going way over board.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:06

I'm all for cheating in baseball.  It's the only way the game is exciting.  In fact, I'm a huge supporter of steroid use in baseball.  It's not my body that's being hurt, plus, I love watching them sock a few dingers!

*This message was brought to you by Focusyn.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:07

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

That's policed by the umps on per game basis (maybe at the urging of opposing team's managers).

Video sign stealing isn't rampant. If it was, a lot of hitters would be getting thrown at. That wouldn't be good.

What's the difference between a sign stolen from video vs any other method?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:08

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Rules should be enforced and the Astros paid a price. I also think right now it's a mob mentality against the Astros and they are going way over board.

Oh, are people tweeting mean things at the Astros steve?

Fucking steve...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:10

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

If you can't see the difference between a runner on second relaying signs to the hitter vs. a camera in centerfield relaying the live video feed directly to the dugout in all situations, you are beyond help.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:11

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Fucking steve...

Set up a straw man argument and then fall back to your patented zinger.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:16

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

If you can't see the difference between a runner on second relaying signs to the hitter vs. a camera in centerfield relaying the live video feed directly to the dugout in all situations, you are beyond help.

You are naive if you think a runner from second is the only other way to steal a sign.

Also, we going to strip the Giants of a pennant? https://nypost.com/2002/07/29/51-giants-come-clean-admit-to-sign-stealing-scheme/
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:So we all agree? Good. Then it's settled.

I don’t think we do wbh
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:19

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Fucking steve...

If not on twitter, where are you seeing this mob mentality? Is it in all those newspapers your always reading that keep you so well informed?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:20

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

If not on twitter, where are you seeing this mob mentality? Is it in all those newspapers your always reading that keep you so well informed?

And when trick one doesn’t work fall back to lobbing insults. I know your playbook.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:22

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:

You are naive if you think a runner from second is the only other way to steal a sign.

Also, we going to strip the Giants of a pennant? https://nypost.com/2002/07/29/51-giants-come-clean-admit-to-sign-stealing-scheme/

Oh, were the Astros stripped of their pennant? I don't think anyone in this thread has advocated that. Is that something else you read about in your newspapers?

The Giants would likely have gotten punished if one of their players had blown the whistle two years after the fact, rather than decades later, so I'm not sure what point you think you're making there.

Last edited by Cameron on Wed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:23; edited 1 time in total
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next