Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke?

+33
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
DroppedByADime
MSULordyoda
The Lonely Stoner
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Robert J Sakimano
Other Teams Pursuing That
CrazySparty
y2kMgrad
Herbie Green
Gomer
GRR Spartan
Loose Stools
RBW Spartan
Blanch32
Stoops21
WBill
Hut1hut2
DWags
Toe
steveschneider
tGreenWay
Cosmo_Kramer
duffy munn
JEK
Floyd Robertson
Punisher98
tTito
Rodeo Burger
Heat Miser
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
37 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke?

Post by tTito 2014-07-21, 14:45

Blanch32 wrote:

Interesting.....

.....and yes you clowns I think Ron English could have been very successful at uofm.  No one succeeds at eastern.  No one

Ron English's defenses were clown stomped week in and week out. Not even RR's offenses could overcome the defensive incompetance. Nobody wanted Ron English, except Eastern Michigan, so that's where he landed. He probably knew he couldn't win, and simply took the job so he could in football a few more years before moving on to coach in high school where he belongs.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke?

Post by duffy munn 2014-07-21, 14:50

Blanch32 wrote:You dudes are missing Greg shiacco or whatever.  He's currently the hc of the bucks.

Thought they also tried Iowa's head Kirk frentz.

Regardless they should have went with Ron English.

Ron English ? lol! 
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-07-21, 14:58

Blanch32 wrote:

Interesting.....

.....and yes you clowns I think Ron English could have been very successful at uofm. No one succeeds at eastern. No one

I'm impressed that you can spell Ron English's last name correctly. Based on years of observation, I didn't think you knew how to spell English at all.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Loose Stools 2014-07-21, 16:12

Because Jabril Peppers told Brandon to hire him.
Loose Stools
Loose Stools
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-07-21, 16:58

" You can only sell the future for so long."

They have been selling the past for over a century.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2014-07-21, 17:39

AD Martin, Brandon's predecessor learned that the umaa job was not the plumb its fan base think it is when replacing Lloyd Carr. Iowa got early wind of Carr's departure and gave Ferentz one of the most lucrative contracts in the Big Ten pre-empting any conversation between Mary Sue Coleman and Ferentz who was hired when she was Iowa's president. Then Schianno said maybe until Rutgers gave him a major raise and a home on the university golf course. Miles names was mentioned as was Harbaugh's but Rich Rod was an 11th hour decision when it became clear no "big names" were saying yes.

Brandon replaced Martin and fired Rich Rod. But sometime after RichRod's hire Harbaugh, now at Stanford blasted umaa's academics standards as a fraud. umaa fans were again saying Miles and Harbaugh were in the mix. But Miles simply used the umaa vacancy to get a better contract at LSU for the 2nd time and Harbaugh wanted and got an NFL job without having to move.

Brandon wants a coach he can control. He talks about Schembechler but there is no way Harbaugh or Miles would be letting AD Brandon sit in on video sessions like he has done with Hoke. So he hired and has subsequently overpaid Hoke and staff based on OSU's contract with Meyer.

Based on the recent decision by umaa's Board of Regents about fireworks, unhappiness with Brandon's spending levels and the recent remarks by the new president I think Brandon may be on thinner ice than Hoke. If Hoke loses to MSU, OSU, ND and one other team Brandon has Doug Nussmeier in house. But he may not be hiring the next football coach.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-21, 17:46

GRR Spartan wrote:AD Martin, Brandon's predecessor learned that the umaa job was not the plumb its fan base think it is when replacing Lloyd Carr. Iowa got early wind of Carr's departure and gave Ferentz one of the most lucrative contracts in the Big Ten pre-empting any conversation between Mary Sue Coleman and Ferentz who was hired when she was Iowa's president. Then Schianno said maybe until Rutgers gave him a major raise and a home on the university golf course. Miles names was mentioned as was Harbaugh's but Rich Rod was an 11th hour decision when it became clear no "big names" were saying yes.

Brandon replaced Martin and fired Rich Rod. But sometime after RichRod's hire Harbaugh, now at Stanford blasted umaa's academics standards as a fraud. umaa fans were again saying Miles and Harbaugh were in the mix. But Miles simply used the umaa vacancy to get a better contract at LSU for the 2nd time and Harbaugh wanted and got an NFL job without having to move.

Brandon wants a coach he can control. He talks about Schembechler but there is no way Harbaugh or Miles would be letting AD Brandon sit in on video sessions like he has done with Hoke. So he hired and has subsequently overpaid Hoke and staff based on OSU's contract with Meyer.

Based on the recent decision by umaa's Board of Regents about fireworks, unhappiness with Brandon's spending levels and the recent remarks by the new president I think Brandon may be on thinner ice than Hoke. If Hoke loses to MSU, OSU, ND and one other team Brandon has Doug Nussmeier in house. But he may not be hiring the next football coach.

Harbaughh and Daniels also got pretty wasted and did some shit at a golf fund raiser that put him on Coleman's "non invite" list. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. They probably didn't share their tequila with her.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2014-07-21, 18:04

DWags, you are a tough nut. Make one slurred speech to 100,000 people and folks like you just won't let it go. Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 2 2102841802 

I have heard stories about Harbaugh's off field conduct being less than stellar. But I have also heard his current wife likes living in NoCa. The Bay Area is a bit different than dreary aa.

Les Miles has a lot of stories that have floated about. The one I had heard before he left OK State (from an OK State booster) for Baton Rouge was Schembechler had called Miles asking him to not interview for the MSU job. Can't remember if it was after Sabin left for LSU or after Bobby Williams was fired. Either way, Bo went out of his way to ask Les Miles to not consider MSU's job.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2014-07-21, 18:11

Blanch32 wrote:

Buns procured yesterday!
 Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 2 3493939353 
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-07-21, 18:31

GRR Spartan wrote:DWags, you are a tough nut. Make one slurred speech to 100,000 people and folks like you just won't let it go. Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 2 2102841802 

I have heard stories about Harbaugh's off field conduct being less than stellar. But I have also heard his current wife likes living in NoCa. The Bay Area is a bit different than dreary aa.

Les Miles has a lot of stories that have floated about. The one I had heard before he left OK State (from an OK State booster) for Baton Rouge was Schembechler had called Miles asking him to not interview for the MSU job. Can't remember if it was after Sabin left for LSU or after Bobby Williams was fired. Either way, Bo went out of his way to ask Les Miles to not consider MSU's job.

Does the missus know SF is to NoCal what Clare is to Northern Lower Michigan?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Hut1hut2 2014-07-21, 18:37

duffy munn wrote:

Ron English ? lol! 

Racist
Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-21, 20:24

GRR Spartan wrote:AD Martin, Brandon's predecessor learned that the umaa job was not the plumb its fan base think it is when replacing Lloyd Carr.  Iowa got early wind of Carr's departure and gave Ferentz one of the most lucrative contracts in the Big Ten pre-empting any conversation between Mary Sue Coleman and Ferentz who was hired when she was Iowa's president.  Then Schianno said maybe until Rutgers gave him a major raise and a home on the university golf course.  Miles names was mentioned as was Harbaugh's but Rich Rod was an 11th hour decision when it became clear no "big names" were saying yes.

Miles was going to take the UM job when Martin was AD. He was assembling a staff, which is how Herbie found out about it (and ran with the story). LSU put the heat on Miles, offered him more money and wanted a decision from him immediately (the day of the SEC Championship Game). Miles (or his agent) couldn't get a hold of Martin because he was out on his boat, so he signed an extension with LSU...which is why HeatMiser's post "that ship has sailed" was funny.

LSU beat Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl that night, then beat OSU to win the National Championship. Miles came out huge. LSU came out huge. Michigan hired RichRod.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-07-21, 21:01

Unfortunately we have to admit it is an attractive job even if they can't land Harbough. The Sugar bowl might have been the worst thing to happen. I can see a 9-3 ish year this season with their schedule and croots but they aren't that far from the bottom falling out and losing to Rutgers and Minnesota etc..
I see it as a win-win scenario either way - enjoy them hitting rock bottom and going through another coaching search or having mild success and keeping an incompetent coach to delay the inevitable. Watching them fall apart this season would be the most enjoyable in the short run.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-07-21, 21:07

Herbie Green wrote:Unfortunately we have to admit it is an attractive job...

History disagrees...and not just recent history.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-21, 21:20

I hope J. Ira and Nick Harris Family Head Coach Brady Hoke, wins 9 this year.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-07-21, 21:26

Heat Miser wrote:

Dude... You start out with a 110,000 seat stadium, top facilities and a top 20 recruiting class.

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-07-21, 21:26

Herbie Green wrote:Unfortunately we have to admit it is an attractive job even if they can't land Harbough.

Not to UM's top candidates, it wasn't. And frankly, their opinions are the only ones that matter.

Do you really think a successful big name coach is going to leave a good thing at one of the traditional powers to go to UM? Somebody with strong ties and a love for UM would be the only scenario I could see, and they already struck out with Harbaugh and Miles.

Let's face it, UM is going to have to find their Dantonio.

JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-21, 21:31

JEK wrote:

Not to UM's top candidates, it wasn't. And frankly, their opinions are the only ones that matter.

Do you really think a successful big name coach is going to leave a good thing at one of the traditional powers to go to UM? Somebody with strong ties and a love for UM would be the only scenario I could see, and they already struck out with Harbaugh and Miles.

Then, even their "top" guy might suck. Look at ND.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-21, 21:32

Herbie Green wrote:Unfortunately we have to admit it is an attractive job even if they can't land Harbough.  The Sugar bowl might have been the worst thing to happen.   I can see a 9-3 ish year this season with their schedule and croots but they aren't that far from the bottom falling out and losing to Rutgers and Minnesota etc..
I see it as a win-win scenario either way - enjoy them hitting rock bottom and going through another coaching search or having mild success and keeping an incompetent coach to delay the inevitable.  Watching them fall apart this season would be the most enjoyable in the short run.

But, it was an attractive job when they hired RichRod and Hoke too.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-07-21, 21:35

Herbie Green wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Dude... You start out with a 110,000 seat stadium, top facilities and a top 20 recruiting class.

And yet...going back 50+ years:
Bump Elliott  Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 2 1494614055 
Bo: got lucky on an unknown from Miami of Ohio
Mo: internal
Lloyd: internal
DickRod:  Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 2 1966794946 
Fred Flinstone:  Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 2 1966794946 Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 2 1966794946 

They have zero experience or success making big time football coaching hires in the modern era & Don Canham ain't walking through the door.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-07-21, 21:38

JEK wrote:

...Or their Beeline. UM hoops was crap compared to their football program. They could get it right even by accident.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-21, 21:44

Herbie Green wrote:

...Or their Beeline. UM hoops was crap compared to their football program. They could get it right even by accident.

Difference is, those dumb asses hand cuff themselves with the "michigan man" requirement in football. They didn't in bball.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-07-21, 21:45

Herbie Green wrote:

...Or their Beeline.  UM hoops was crap compared to their football program.  They could get it right even by accident.

That's what I'm saying. It's an attractive job to an up and coming head coach, maybe. Not to any of the elite coaches in the game. They aren't going to attract that big name hire. They will have to cycle through and hope to hit gold.

Also any smart coach wants to go somewhere where he knows he's going to gel with administration and have their utmost support. UM's new president coming out and taking a giant dump on football and athletics in general isn't going to help to make that position any more attractive.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-07-21, 22:25

Herbie Green wrote:

...Or their Beeline.  UM hoops was crap compared to their football program.  They could get it right even by accident.

No doubt they could fall into someone very good. But the thing is, they're going to have to.

When guys like Greg Schiano and Pat Fitzgerald won't pick up the phone, you just aren't attractive (for whatever reason). When alums like Miles and Harbaugh use you to get raises, you just aren't attractive.

Eventually, they'll get a great coach in there. But it will be a hire that is roundly panned by the fan base, and it will be a guy who is given a lot of time to get it right.

And by then the expectations should be lowered enough that the fans will realize that even "good" UM teams might not be good enough to win the B1G, let alone beat MSU, OSU or PSU (all of whom are in MUCH better shape today, and going forward).

The old school fans need to realize that scholarship limits, and widely available recruiting info has changed the game forever. UM is going on 10+ years without a CONFERENCE championship. Nebraska is going on 15+ years without one. The old days aren't coming back.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2014-07-21, 22:42

In hindsight it seemed as if Brandon wanted Hoke from the get-go and only went through the motions with Miles/Harbaugh to appease the fans or whatever. I never thought we could land Harbaugh. It was pretty clear to me that he wanted to jump to the NFL. I wanted Miles but I don't think Brandon did. Maybe he thought Miles' ego would overshadow his. I don't know.

At any rate it hasn't worked out with Hoke so far. He's recruited well but the recruits don't seem to be improving at the level they should be. Perhaps he needs another year or two. Or perhaps it'll turn out that he's just not a very good coach. I guess we'll see but I don't have high hopes for this season at all. I'll be shocked if we win more than 8 games, and I won't be shocked if we win less. Sad but true.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-07-21, 22:52

y2kMgrad wrote:In hindsight it seemed as if Brandon wanted Hoke from the get-go and only went through the motions with Miles/Harbaugh to appease the fans or whatever.

I think this as well. Hoke strikes me as a "Yes man" more than a football coach. I'm trying to envision a guy like Les Miles being OK with Dave brandon sitting in on practice meetings, film sessions, etc. the way he apparently does at UM(Albeit I've never seen this confirmed as fact).

Hire some "top-notch" coordinators, rely on the Michigan brand, and Brandon probably let the "This is Michigan" attitude get the best of him.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-21, 23:01

CrazySparty wrote:

I think this as well. Hoke strikes me as a "Yes man" more than a football coach. I'm trying to envision a guy like Les Miles being OK with Dave brandon sitting in on practice meetings, film sessions, etc. the way he apparently does at UM(Albeit I've never seen this confirmed as fact).

Hire some "top-notch" coordinators, rely on the Michigan brand, and Brandon probably let the "This is Michigan" attitude get the best of him.

Who were the top notch coordinators that they hired?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-07-21, 23:03

DWags wrote:

Who were the top notch coordinators that they hired?

lol! There's a reason I put quotation marks around that word

Remember though, Mattison is the reason for Ray Lewis' NFL success!
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-07-21, 23:07

Wait, they could get Harbaugh?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-07-21, 23:09

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Wait, they could get Harbaugh?

Harbaugh's old news. They're getting Gus Malzahn
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-07-22, 07:01

CrazySparty wrote:

Harbaugh's old news. They're getting Gus Malzahn

I assume you're joking. Malzahn's life revolves around the south, and he loves it at Arky.

If we're talking Southern coaches who I could see leaving the south, Freeze and Hudsperth come to mind.

Tubberville wouldn't be a bad hire for a 5 year custodian or so.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-07-22, 07:47

he's fat....
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hut1hut2 2014-07-22, 10:36

Heat Miser wrote:

I hate um, but one of the top jobs in country.
Every program hits rough patches. Now it's their turn
Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-22, 10:50

RBW Spartan wrote:

I assume you're joking. Malzahn's life revolves around the south, and he loves it at Arky.

If we're talking Southern coaches who I could see leaving the south, Freeze and Hudsperth come to mind.

Tubberville wouldn't be a bad hire for a 5 year custodian or so.

Gus is at Auburn.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-07-22, 12:18

Hut1hut2 wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I hate um, but one of the top jobs in country.
Every program hits rough patches. Now it's their turn

Lots of people keep saying that. Facts say otherwise.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill S. Preston, Esquire 2014-07-22, 12:32

NigelUno wrote:

One of the 8 would have to be MSU or OSU.  If he goes less than 9-3, I think he's in trouble.  If UM loses to ND and Utah (or some other early season loss like Rutgers or Penn State), things will get interesting in AA.  

I'm hoping it's 8-4 with a win over OSU. He'd be 7-4 at that point and on the ropes. Beat OSU and it changes perception. Then it goes from he sucks to wait until he develops this young team that just beat Ohio State!!!! Maybe thow in a bowl win in the Outback Bowl or something and they can't justify getting rid of him.

7 wins or less with that schedule and he's gone for sure. Really though, UM should go 9-3 since they avoid Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin. They have a cake Big Ten schedule. Their only negative is that they have away games at ND, OSU, and MSU. That's it. The rest is a joke.
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-07-22, 12:41

Bill S. Preston, Esquire wrote:

I'm hoping it's 8-4 with a win over OSU. He'd be 7-4 at that point and on the ropes. Beat OSU and it changes perception. Then it goes from he sucks to wait until he develops this young team that just beat Ohio State!!!! Maybe thow in a bowl win in the Outback Bowl or something and they can't justify getting rid of him.

7 wins or less with that schedule and he's gone for sure. Really though, UM should go 9-3 since they avoid Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin. They have a cake Big Ten schedule. Their only negative is that they have away games at ND, OSU, and MSU. That's it. The rest is a joke.

They should have lost to Akron and probably Northwestern last year. 9-3 might be a little lofty. Not sure I'm convinced their OL will be better, and if it isn't, that's bad news for Gardner.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lonely Stoner 2014-07-22, 12:41

Herbie Green wrote:

Beilein's first 3 years at UM: 46-53 (21-33) - 46.5% (38.9%) - finished 9, 7, 7 - made the post season once. His 4th year he was 21-14 and reached the 3rd round of the NCAAT.

Rich Rod's only 3 years at UM: 15-22 (6-18) - 40.5% (25%) - finished 9, 10, 7 - made the post season once. If you add in the 2011 season which was a full cycle of RR recruits and he improves to 26-24 (12-20). They already had their B___, but got rid of him too soon and are now stuck with a monkey's uncle running the program into the ground ala Bobby W or JLS style.

Last edited by The Lonely Stoner on 2014-07-22, 12:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I grammar like five year old)
The Lonely Stoner
The Lonely Stoner
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill S. Preston, Esquire 2014-07-22, 12:46

I'd also like to throw in that I think Rich Rod is a good coach. Yeah, the results sucked but he put in a new system without a QB designed to run it. I think he was legitimately told you to go full throttle with his plan and had support initially.

He runs the spread with some crummy QB and goes 3-9. Then gets Denard and Tate. Tate gets the start because he could throw but Denard was the key piece. Season 2 he get 5 wins. The blue hairs turn on him and his accent.

Season 3 RR comes out and wins 7 games with Denard learning the system. I honestly think RR had built a good foundation from the ground up heading into 2011. However, UM cans his ass and hires Hoke who then reaps the rewards with an experience Denard running the show. RR has to be bitter watching the team he built run the spread and win 11 games.

Hoke has now regressed each season he's been there and the "Team 135", "Ohio", "This is Michigan", and the rest of his sayings are turning into more of a joke than anything else.

I mean this 100%. As much as I like to mock RR, I'm very thankful they fired him. I'm interested to see what he does over at Arizona and I actually hope he returns to WVU and gets his old job back. I miss watching WVU on Thursday night run their system infront of that crowd. That was good TV.
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSULordyoda 2014-07-22, 12:48

tTito wrote:

Ron English's defenses were clown stomped week in and week out. Not even RR's offenses could overcome the defensive incompetance. Nobody wanted Ron English, except Eastern Michigan, so that's where he landed. He probably knew he couldn't win, and simply took the job so he could in football a few more years before moving on to coach in high school where he belongs.

Ummm...Ron English was the Defensive Coordinator under Lloyd Carr. He left for Louisville when Lloyd retired and had a decent year as their defensive coordinator as well. Then he took the EMU job.
MSULordyoda
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next