Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke?

+33
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
DroppedByADime
MSULordyoda
The Lonely Stoner
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Robert J Sakimano
Other Teams Pursuing That
CrazySparty
y2kMgrad
Herbie Green
Gomer
GRR Spartan
Loose Stools
RBW Spartan
Blanch32
Stoops21
WBill
Hut1hut2
DWags
Toe
steveschneider
tGreenWay
Cosmo_Kramer
duffy munn
JEK
Floyd Robertson
Punisher98
tTito
Rodeo Burger
Heat Miser
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
37 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 3 Empty Re: Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke?

Post by Bill S. Preston, Esquire Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:53 pm

MSULordyoda wrote:

Ummm...Ron English was the Defensive Coordinator under Lloyd Carr.  He left for Louisville when Lloyd retired and had a decent year as their defensive coordinator as well.  Then he took the EMU job.

That defense was hung out to dry from the offense running 3 and outs with Steven Threet. Just remembered is name. I couldn't think of it before. There was talent though.

I also don't think the defense was all that terrible. You have to understand that in systems that are a bit goofy like Oregon, RR's WVU, and even Auburn with Cam, that teams will put up points. You either score quickly or you go 3 and out. We saw it with JLS all the time. Your goal is to outscore your opponent while keeping your defense as fresh as you can. ToP is not exactly a key component.

RR just didn't have his guys. He had his next Pat White in Denard but he was a Sr in HS and then had to develop him at QB his freshman year before letting him loose. It's a very, very good thing for MSU that we didn't see RR with a Jr and Sr Denard. I'm OK with saying that since I have so much confidence in Dantonio but it was a blessing.
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 3 Empty Re: Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke?

Post by duffy munn Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Bill S. Preston, Esquire wrote:I'd also like to throw in that I think Rich Rod is a good coach. Yeah, the results sucked but he put in a new system without a QB designed to run it. I think he was legitimately told you to go full throttle with his plan and had support initially.

He runs the spread with some crummy QB and goes 3-9. Then gets Denard and Tate. Tate gets the start because he could throw but Denard was the key piece. Season 2 he get 5 wins. The blue hairs turn on him and his accent.

Season 3 RR comes out and wins 7 games with Denard learning the system. I honestly think RR had built a good foundation from the ground up heading into 2011. However, UM cans his ass and hires Hoke who then reaps the rewards with an experience Denard running the show. RR has to be bitter watching the team he built run the spread and win 11 games.

Hoke has now regressed each season he's been there and the "Team 135", "Ohio", "This is Michigan", and the rest of his sayings are turning into more of a joke than anything else.

I mean this 100%. As much as I like to mock RR, I'm very thankful they fired him. I'm interested to see what he does over at Arizona and I actually hope he returns to WVU and gets his old job back. I miss watching WVU on Thursday night run their system infront of that crowd. That was good TV.
I agree that Rich Rod is a far better coach than Flintstone. That said, his problems began up front ( O and D line). Dantonio would have kicked his ass too, had he stayed at U of M.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Herbie Green wrote:

Dude... You start out with a 110,000 seat stadium, top facilities and a top 20 recruiting class.

.....and beyond unreasonable expectations from the alums and walmarters alike BC well we MICHIGAN!
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:13 pm

y2kMgrad wrote:In hindsight it seemed as if Brandon wanted Hoke from the get-go and only went through the motions with Miles/Harbaugh to appease the fans or whatever. I never thought we could land Harbaugh. It was pretty clear to me that he wanted to jump to the NFL. I wanted Miles but I don't think Brandon did. Maybe he thought Miles' ego would overshadow his. I don't know.

At any rate it hasn't worked out with Hoke so far. He's recruited well but the recruits don't seem to be improving at the level they should be. Perhaps he needs another year or two. Or perhaps it'll turn out that he's just not a very good coach. I guess we'll see but I don't have high hopes for this season at all. I'll be shocked if we win more than 8 games, and I won't be shocked if we win less. Sad but true.

Curious: who's on your current short list provided joke falls flat again?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill S. Preston, Esquire Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 pm

duffy munn wrote:
I agree that Rich Rod is a far better coach than Flintstone. That said, his problems began up front ( O and D line). Dantonio would have kicked his ass too, had he stayed at U of M.

I agree. I think Dantonio would have still beat up on Michigan but I do think RR would have snuck in a win. If he would have been able to stick around then maybe he would have kept up the local recruiting. With so much turnover at UM it has allowed Dantonio and Co to make a lot of connections around the state. It's certainly greener now than when I was a kid. I still think stars are stupid. It's all about getting the kids that fit your system and Dantonio has done a fantasic job of doing that and he started it with local kids and Midwest kids.

Hoke just might turn out to be one of the best things to happen to MSU. Unlike UM, I will recognize that UM is a big hurdle for us. Keeping UM down is important and nobody understands that more than Dantonio. The way he acknowledges the rivalry is perfect. He doesn't shy away or degrade UM. He simply stares them straight in the face and beats them. It's something many of our previous coaches never did. Add in Hoke trying to downplay MSU and talk up the OSU rivalry and it's a perfect storm. The impossible has happened in the eyes of the old school UM fan. MSU is for real and not just once every 3 or 4 years. We're coming at them each and every season.
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Blanch32 wrote:

Curious:  who's on your current short list provided joke falls flat again?

They have insane people who think if they get rid of Hoke, Harbaugh will take the job. Many believe that they have hired their next coach in Nuss. Those two names will be mentioned first. From there, the real crazies will start listing names that are so unbelievable that you can only chuckle. There are some real sharp assistants and coordinators who I think would be great for them, but they'll hamstring themselves to a "name" coach, and make fools of themselves again. Hopefully this goes on for the next decade and a half and by then I'm 67, wetting my pants smelling of urine, and not giving a flying shit if MSU or UofM of Indiana wins a football game.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:26 pm

DWags wrote:

Hopefully this goes on for the next decade and a half and by then I'm 67, wetting my pants smelling of urine, and not giving a flying shit if MSU or UofM of Indiana wins a football game.

while you may be pissing your pants, you will always care.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:37 pm

DWags wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Curious:  who's on your current short list provided joke falls flat again?

...Many believe that they have hired their next coach in Nuss....

Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 3 1837840279 This is probably the best case scenario (after being turned down by a half dozen unrealistic options...again) for all involved...except SCum.  Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 3 1494614055 
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:51 pm

y2kMgrad wrote:In hindsight it seemed as if Brandon wanted Hoke from the get-go and only went through the motions with Miles/Harbaugh to appease the fans or whatever. I never thought we could land Harbaugh. It was pretty clear to me that he wanted to jump to the NFL. I wanted Miles but I don't think Brandon did. Maybe he thought Miles' ego would overshadow his. I don't know.

At any rate it hasn't worked out with Hoke so far. He's recruited well but the recruits don't seem to be improving at the level they should be. Perhaps he needs another year or two. Or perhaps it'll turn out that he's just not a very good coach. I guess we'll see but I don't have high hopes for this season at all. I'll be shocked if we win more than 8 games, and I won't be shocked if we win less. Sad but true.

Lmao. You lying sack of shit. You proclaimed UM had the best coach in the conference " if not the Nation.".... You were all over that fat ass.

Typical scummer revisionist. Lmao at you.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:02 pm

DroppedByADime wrote:

Lmao.    You lying sack of shit.    You proclaimed UM had the best coach in the conference " if not the Nation.".... You were all over that fat ass.  

Typical scummer revisionist.     Lmao at you.
I hate scummers as much as the next person, but I don't recall y2mk being like that. For the most part, on MSU boards he appears to try to be a neutral party and he bites his tongue a lot. I've never taken him as someone who would come out and say: Hoke is the best coach out there! You better watch out!
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm

DroppedByADime wrote:

Lmao.    You lying sack of shit.    You proclaimed UM had the best coach in the conference " if not the Nation.".... You were all over that fat ass.  

Typical scummer revisionist.     Lmao at you.
You really need to start taking your Xanax before posting.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 pm

DroppedByADime wrote:

Lmao. You lying sack of shit. You proclaimed UM had the best coach in the conference " if not the Nation.".... You were all over that fat ass.

Typical scummer revisionist. Lmao at you.

That scummer always comes across as emotionally stable; unlike you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:41 pm

NigelUno wrote:

Elton Rynearson had some very successful seasons.

Elton... Rynearson! 'Needlenose Elton'? Case Western High!  I did the whistling belly button trick at the high school talent show? Bing! Got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? BING!
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Blanch32 wrote:

.....and beyond unreasonable expectations from the alums and walmarters alike BC well we MICHIGAN!

Right but their delusion gives a coach a free pass for a while because it is always just a matter of time before all the new recruits run college football.

The one downside of UM job seems to be politics. Perhaps enough time has passed that someone from the outside will get a better chance than Rich Rod did. They better get a new AD to hire him though.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Loose Stools Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Herbie Green wrote:Unfortunately we have to admit it is an attractive job even if they can't land Harbough. 

Not so sure.  UM is a place where fans expect wins and coaches don't want that type of pressure.  Look at the success Carr had there--better than Bo's--but they ran him out of town.  Michigan made their name beating up on the little eight.  Their record is bloated with inconsequential conference wins.
Loose Stools
Loose Stools
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:33 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

That scummer always comes across as emotionally stable; unlike you.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Blow me, creepy banana guy
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:37 pm

DroppedByADime wrote: Blow me, creepy banana guy

Daylight come and me wanna go home.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Say hi to your wife, ysogayumgrad. : )
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Dare I say our perception of UM football might be a little more negative than the rest of the nation?
Do a search for the top coaching jobs in college football.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Herbie Green wrote:Dare I say our perception of UM football might be a little more negative than the rest of the nation?
Do a search for the top coaching jobs in college football.

Dare I say you need to learn the difference between perception & reality?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by bryanleeg Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

Dare I say we know more about the tire fire of a coaching search they've had than the rest of the nation?
bryanleeg
bryanleeg
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:28 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

You would be correct. Can you explain it to me?

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 3 Empty What is Dave Brandon thinking

Post by Hut1hut2 Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:39 am

At this moment?
Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Uofm hasn't been a good job since they fired moeller. From that point Lloyd did a phenomenal job while his four biggest rivals floundered with idiots.

If franklin proves to be the real deal at PSU they are flat out screwed for the next decade +
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:19 pm

Hut1hut2 wrote:At this moment?

Am I the only one that can't see this dude's avatar (or duffy's) or is something wrong with my browser security settings?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Am I the only one that can't see this dude's avatar (or duffy's) or is something wrong with my browser security settings?

Can't see them. They probably never set one up.

There are a couple that I'd like to un-see, like the Greenway's creepy banana carving (looks like Michael Shannon to me) and Brock Middlebrook's zombie Hooter's waitresses.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Can't see them.  They probably never set one up.

There are a couple that I'd like to un-see, like the Greenway's creepy banana carving (looks like Michael Shannon to me) and Brock Middlebrook's zombie Hooter's waitresses.

And that creepy doll thing with the black hair and the big round glasses.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:51 pm

tTito wrote:

And that creepy doll thing with the black hair and the big round glasses.

If you mean this one, good call.  That's from a Kayak commercial.

Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 3 404-95

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:04 pm

Jake from State Farm wrote:He's a Michigan Man, why else would they hire him?

Hoke knows where to get the best donuts.
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

I can't believe no one bit on this. Don't we have any philosophers or physicists out there?

As the saying goes "perception is reality". Einstein said "reality is merely an illusion"

I don't quite get it. But I think everyone has there own unique reality they have created themselves solely from their own perceptions. Thus, there is really no difference between perception and reality - they are one and the same - but it is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Herbie Green wrote:

I can't believe no one bit on this. Don't we have any philosophers or physicists out there?

As the saying goes "perception is reality". Einstein said "reality is merely an illusion"

I don't quite get it. But I think everyone has there own unique reality they have created themselves solely from their own perceptions. Thus, there is really no difference between perception and reality - they are one and the same - but it is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.

When waxing intelligent, use their and there properly.

Hey, it's my first time being an idiot grammar nazi. ( I'm just giving you a hard time)
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:30 am

DWags wrote:

Hey, it's my first time being an idiot grammar nazi. ( I'm just giving you a hard time)

Well I aint two bright but I guess I am a big enough dork to find humor in Heat Misor ripping on me for not knowing the answer to one of the greatest unknown s in science.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:58 am

DWags wrote:

You may be pregnant, 'cuz you missed your period.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:59 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Can't see them. They probably never set one up.

Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 3 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:18 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:

If you mean this one, good call.  That's from a Kayak commercial.

Yeah that's the one, it creeps me out. GreenWay is a creeper too, on many levels. And if I ever see that guy who is Turtleneck's avatar on the street I would probably knock him the fcuk out. Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 3 502811600 
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 am

DroppedByADime wrote:Say hi to your wife, ysogayumgrad.   : )

Whatever crazy old man.

You should change your name to Droppedonmyhead. Why did Michigan hire Brady Hoke? - Page 3 502811600 
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3