Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will be President on January 21st 2021

+5
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
9 posters

Go down

President on January 21st 2021

Who will be President on January 21st 2021 Vote_lcap24%Who will be President on January 21st 2021 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 4 ]
Who will be President on January 21st 2021 Vote_lcap76%Who will be President on January 21st 2021 Vote_rcap 76% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 17

Poll closed

Who will be President on January 21st 2021 Empty Who will be President on January 21st 2021

Post by kingstonlake 2020-10-27, 07:08

Thoughts?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Who will be President on January 21st 2021 Empty Re: Who will be President on January 21st 2021

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-10-27, 08:01

You could at least humor everyone and put in a pelosi or an other option
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Who will be President on January 21st 2021 Empty Re: Who will be President on January 21st 2021

Post by Turtleneck 2020-10-27, 08:10

President of what? tSwill chess club?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-10-27, 08:38

voted.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-27, 08:52

He won’t concede which will cause a cluster fuck and drag this process out.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-10-27, 08:52

Is this the real election? Is this where I vote?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-10-27, 08:57

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You could at least humor everyone and put in a pelosi or an other option

I Feel guilty for leaving out Kayne
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-10-27, 08:58

Turtleneck wrote:Is this the real election? Is this where I vote?

Yes. But you've always been blue. So....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-10-27, 09:39

steveschneider wrote:He won’t concede which will cause a cluster fuck and drag this process out.

Conceding, or refusing to leave the White House are irrelevant as to the status of the presidency on January 21, I'm not sure why people are hung up on that.

Per the Constitution, his term expires at noon on January 20, 2021. If Trump is declared the winner, he will be sworn in for his second term. If he is not, then someone else will be sworn in. Conceding has nothing to do with that.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-10-27, 09:46

Technically I think it will be Mike Pence whose job will be to issue a blanket pardon to Donald J Trump.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-27, 10:19

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:He won’t concede which will cause a cluster fuck and drag this process out.

Conceding, or refusing to leave the White House are irrelevant as to the status of the presidency on January 21, I'm not sure why people are hung up on that.  

Per the Constitution, his term expires at noon on January 20, 2021.  If Trump is declared the winner, he will be sworn in for his second term.  If he is not, then someone else will be sworn in.  Conceding has nothing to do with that.

I only post this because my sense is (and I say this affectionately) you are a government nerd and would enjoy this...

https://www.ted.com/talks/van_jones_what_if_a_us_presidential_candidate_refuses_to_concede_after_an_election?language=en

I'm actually coming around that he's going to get routed and ultimately get the boot. Looks like he can drag the process out and create a cluster fuck.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-10-27, 10:37

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Per the Constitution, his term expires at noon on January 20, 2021.  If Trump is declared the winner, he will be sworn in for his second term.  If he is not, then someone else will be sworn in.  Conceding has nothing to do with that.
I agree with this.

however, if the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator loses on Election Day (or a few subsequent days) or through the court system via liberal activist judges, I think the amount of damage he can and will do to America between then and January 20th, 2021 will be immense.

(FYI, he's gonna win).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-27, 10:44

Another one, I wish this went a little more in depth on some of the points they make but some forecasting on the challenges ahead. Ben anticipates a winner won't be announced until 12.9.20 and he won't concede. It's going to be a long fucking month between the election and then. The bigger the blow out the easier it will be to over come any of the disputes Trump puts up.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-10-27, 11:29

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I agree with this.

however, if the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator loses on Election Day (or a few subsequent days) or through the court system via liberal activist judges, I think the amount of damage he can and will do to America between then and January 20th, 2021 will be immense.

(FYI, he's gonna win).

Shit, it is bizarre when I agree so much with one of Bob's worries, but I've been meaning to post something similar. There has been so much talk about a disputed election, and/or a peaceful transition of power, but as I feel more confident in Biden clearly winning, I feel there is not enough talk about what a vengeful, spiteful monster, with mostly the full power of the presidency, might donington 2.5 lame duck months, after the American people just told him to go fuck himself.

I hope that by that point, more rational people around him and Republicans in Congress, that accept his loss, and need to start thinking about their futures will refuse to honor anything to too insane. But some people may have their futures tied to working for him in some non-extradition treaty country.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-10-27, 11:44

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I agree with this.

(FYI, he's gonna win).

Shit, it is bizarre when I agree so much with one of Bob's worries, but I've been meaning to post something similar. There has been so much talk about a disputed election, and/or a peaceful transition of power, but as I feel more confident in Biden clearly winning, I feel there is not enough talk about what a vengeful, spiteful monster, with mostly the full power of the presidency, might donington 2.5 lame duck months, after the American people just told him to go fuck himself.

I hope that by that point, more rational people around him and Republicans in Congress, that accept his loss, and need to start thinking about their futures will refuse to honor anything to too insane. But some people may have their futures tied to working for him in some non-extradition treaty country.
I (naively) thought something similar after the racist, bigoted christian misogynists elected the pathetic piece of trash in 2016.

I was like "yeah, it's gonna suck.. but the decent people in the GOP will keep him in check". Man, do I feel like an idiot (even more than usual) - didn't take long to realize that the GOP didn't have any decent people.. esp. after McCain passed away. Rarely agreed with him politically, but he seemed to be the collective conscience of the party.

once he was gone, it was all downhill from there.. at the speed of a runaway train, with what was once "good" about America left in its wake.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-10-27, 12:01

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I agree with this.

(FYI, he's gonna win).

The far right extremist voting block has made their presence known. And who and what they support. They aren't going away. There's going to be a some very delicate tap dancing going on if he loses. Moderate GOP candidates cannot win a general anymore IMHO.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-10-27, 12:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I (naively) thought something similar after the racist, bigoted christian misogynists elected the pathetic piece of trash in 2016.

I was like "yeah, it's gonna suck.. but the decent people in the GOP will keep him in check". Man, do I feel like an idiot (even more than usual) - didn't take long to realize that the GOP didn't have any decent people.. esp. after McCain passed away. Rarely agreed with him politically, but he seemed to be the collective conscience of the party.

once he was gone, it was all downhill from there.. at the speed of a runaway train, with what was once "good" about America left in its wake.

I'm not talking about Republicans and people in his administration going against him out of any sense of decency, I'm talking about them possibly doing it out of self-interest. Big difference. Your point about 2016 is what I mean. Most had to fall in line with him out of self interest. They need his fans and if they go against him, he can put someone against them in the primary and probably win with Trump's support (see the Tubberville/Sessions primary this year). I'm not at all defending them for siding with him, btw. Just discussing theor motivations. They're flat out cowards for doing so, and complicit in all of his misdeeds. This may well continue to be an issue after he is out of power, unless he is in jail or has fled to a non-extradition country.

Last edited by MiamiSpartan on 2020-10-27, 13:33; edited 1 time in total
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-10-27, 13:30

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I only post this because my sense is (and I say this affectionately) you are a government nerd and would enjoy this...

https://www.ted.com/talks/van_jones_what_if_a_us_presidential_candidate_refuses_to_concede_after_an_election?language=en

I'm actually coming around that he's going to get routed and ultimately get the boot. Looks like he can drag the process out and create a cluster fuck.

I appreciate that you consider me a government nerd. Never thought of it like that, but yeah, I'm fascinated by the little ins and outs that we never know (or think about), more so than the standard political machinations that go into passing laws.

But yeah, I've discussed the whole going to the House of Representatives thing here before. I don't think it will come to that, though. I don't think Republican governors or legislatures will assign electors that go against the clear will of the people, or that electors themselves will be so faithless that it goes against the clear will of the people. The price of doing that is too high, and I don't think it is just a political price, but the price of their safety and well being.

Now, if it is a close enough election for a semi-legitimate dispute that could lead to some of that electoral nonsense being more likely and more defensible, then who knows. But if the election is that close, then that means people didn't turn out in very good numbers and didn't care enough about whether this guy stays in office or not. And if that's the case, then we deserve whatever chaos ensues.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-10-27, 14:40

Each day I get more nervous. I'm actually planning out what countries we could potentially move to. Would Germany accept me for asylum? With the money I could cash out here, I could live comfortably in the Philippines, but Duterte isn't much better and I'm a bit nervous he's setting himself to be President for Life. He is supposed to only serve 1 term. I just have no faith in Republican's actually switching sides. They are looking for any excuse to not vote for Biden. I'd be happier if they vote 3rd party or leave it blank, but not sure they will do that. Republican's have their messaging down, and fear sells a lot better than hope.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-10-27, 14:54

Maybe Trump being a douche and trying to lawyer his way to another term could temper his “burn it to the ground” tendencies. If he actually feels he could win a protracted legal contest it might pause him from burning it all down.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-10-27, 17:07

InTenSity wrote:Each day I get more nervous. I'm actually planning out what countries we could potentially move to. Would Germany accept me for asylum? With the money I could cash out here, I could live comfortably in the Philippines, but Duterte isn't much better and I'm a bit nervous he's setting himself to be President for Life. He is supposed to only serve 1 term. I just have no faith in Republican's actually switching sides. They are looking for any excuse to not vote for Biden. I'd be happier if they vote 3rd party or leave it blank, but not sure they will do that. Republican's have their messaging down, and fear sells a lot better than hope.

Republicans don't need to switch sides. No one can win the presidency if they only get Republicans or only get Democrats voting for them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-10-27, 17:34

Fine. Fuck it. I'll do it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-10-27, 18:26

Nordic wrote:Fine. Fuck it. I'll do it.

Lol. I hope you're as good a president as you are game thread starter.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-10-27, 19:33

That's what I'm talking about!!!!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-10-29, 14:00

kingstonlake wrote:

Lol. I hope you're as good a president as you are game thread starter.

We are so fucked...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down