Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swill handyman advice

+13
aualum06
I.B. Fine
GRR Spartan
Rocinante
Motown Spartan
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Heat Miser
The Pantry
MSU addict
tGreenWay
Nordic
Dendrobates
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Swill handyman advice - Page 2 Empty Re: Swill handyman advice

Post by Dendrobates 2020-11-10, 20:49

You guys are the best. I just wanted to say that.

Since I made the claim with this possibly being an issue on the plumber, and time, I will let you know what happens after they come on Friday.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-11-10, 21:43

MSU addict wrote:I am not a plumber, but may father was.  He taught me a lot.  I have flipped about 50 houses and have owned rental properties.  I have done a lot of plumbing repairs. 
To me, the most frustrating part of doing plumbing repairs on an older home is adapting new fittings/materials to the old plumbing.  Your dad probably ran into a number of situations and had to figure them out...sorta priceless knowledge before youtube came along.

First home I purchased was in RO...early 50's vintage.  Not really that old and the house had decent old school plumbing and fixtures...even got an old lawn sprinkler system back up and running though looked like it hadn't been used in many years.

The only real plumbing problem was in the basement.  There was a bathroom/shower.  Used it every morning getting up for work, to leave the main floor bathroom available.  Was showering one morning and discovered the floor tile was floating under my feet.  Got dressed and pulled out most of the shower tile floor right then and there.  Turned out there was no pan underneath...tile had been laid on a shower-contoured concrete base.  

Wanting to know more about the bathroom construction, called work to tell them I wouldn't be in.  Carefully took down the knotty pine boards on the outside wall behind the shower plumbing to discover the 2x4's behind the wall were mostly wet...had been for a long time.  

Near as I can tell, many early-late 50's SE MI basements were built to include plumbing for downstairs.  House I grew up in in Warren (mid-late 50's) had a couple drains in the floor not far apart.  One sewer and one gray water with a similarly contoured shower concrete base.   Dad walled-in the area and put a shitter over the obvious sewer drain, along with a bathroom sink.  Dad was extremely handy at all projects, but never finished the shower.

The RO basement shower made me think of why Dad may have not wanted to add the shower in the Warren basement.  Took me hours to cold chisel the concrete from around the old drain to be able to adapt it to a proper pan drain fitting.  Did the new carpentry and plumbing myself, able to save the knotty pine exterior wall.  Have done only cosmetic tile work.  Hired a professional to put in the pan, mud base, and tile.  Shower was perfect after that.

The problem with older homes...it's often hard to determine how they've been fucked with over the years.  Even paid home inspectors botch pre-sale.  For instance, the old RO home.  Ranch.  Was a three bedroom before a previous owner knocked out a wall to expand the kitchen/dining area.  Was kinda cool until I went to put a new light fixture in the ceiling.  Pulled the fuse that turned off the light.  Was literally shocked upon discovering someone had run two circuits through the box.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and MSU addict like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-11-10, 21:50

The Pantry wrote:
MSU addict wrote:I am not a plumber, but may father was.  He taught me a lot.  I have flipped about 50 houses and have owned rental properties.  I have done a lot of plumbing repairs. 
To me, the most frustrating part of doing plumbing repairs on an older home is adapting new fittings/materials to the old plumbing.  Your dad probably ran into a number of situations and had to figure them out...sorta priceless knowledge before youtube came along.

First home I purchased was in RO...early 50's vintage.  Not really that old and the house had decent old school plumbing and fixtures...even got an old lawn sprinkler system back up and running though looked like it hadn't been used in many years.

The only real plumbing problem was in the basement.  There was a bathroom/shower.  Used it every morning getting up for work, to leave the main floor bathroom available.  Was showering one morning and discovered the floor tile was floating under my feet.  Got dressed and pulled out most of the shower tile floor right then and there.  Turned out there was no pan underneath...tile had been laid on a shower-contoured concrete base.  

Wanting to know more about the bathroom construction, called work to tell them I wouldn't be in.  Carefully took down the knotty pine boards on the outside wall behind the shower plumbing to discover the 2x4's behind the wall were mostly wet...had been for a long time.  

Near as I can tell, many early-late 50's SE MI basements were built to include plumbing for downstairs.  House I grew up in in Warren (mid-late 50's) had a couple drains in the floor not far apart.  One sewer and one gray water with a similarly contoured shower concrete base.   Dad walled-in the area and put a shitter over the obvious sewer drain, along with a bathroom sink.  Dad was extremely handy at all projects, but never finished the shower.

The RO basement shower made me think of why Dad may have not wanted to add the shower in the Warren basement.  Took me hours to cold chisel the concrete from around the old drain to be able to adapt it to a proper pan drain fitting.  Did the new carpentry and plumbing myself, able to save the knotty pine exterior wall.  Have done only cosmetic tile work.  Hired a professional to put in the pan, mud base, and tile.  Shower was perfect after that.

The problem with older homes...it's often hard to determine how they've been fucked with over the years.  Even paid home inspectors botch pre-sale.  For instance, the old RO home.  Ranch.  Was a three bedroom before a previous owner knocked out a wall to expand the kitchen/dining area.  Was kinda cool until I went to put a new light fixture in the ceiling.  Pulled the fuse that turned off the light.  Was literally shocked upon discovering someone had run two circuits through the box.

We live in a house my great grandpa built by himself in the 30s and he expanded the next 50 years. He was also very resourceful and creative/cheap. Leads to a lot of fun discoveries.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

The Pantry and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-11-10, 22:22

aualum06 wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

We live in a house my great grandpa built by himself in the 30s and he expanded the next 50 years. He was also very resourceful and creative/cheap. Leads to a lot of fun discoveries.

First of all, that’s cool as hell. And I cant imagine how things were done with tools available back then.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-11-10, 23:19

I.B. Fine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:btw, my wife learned even less from her ‘rents. Her attitude is if something isn’t working, pay someone to replace it with a new one. Thankfully, she hasn’t found my replacement... yet.

Not sorry for taking your line, Pylon & KL. Swill handyman advice - Page 2 2809484752
At least that's what she tells you, Mr Gullibleway
Razz

You should go back to lurking.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-11-10, 23:40

aualum06 wrote:
Pretty awesome.

There's a home in Troy I general contracted from architecture to certificate of occupancy in the early 90's. Except for my kids, my proudest achievement.

Wyff got the home in the divorce and I ended up funding the mortgage via spousal support until she sold it a few years ago.

Spent hours there during the construction, after working 9-10 doing my regular job. Was in the architectural chimney enclosure one night putting in fire stop material to comply with building code when I decided to take a break. Pulled a pen out my pocket and wrote on a structural 2x4 something no one will likely ever see. Only I know where I penned that.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-11-11, 00:48

The Pantry wrote:

Thats really cool to know and have those kind of experiences. What has frustrated me about my current house, are that we have these "not easy fixes" when it was only built in 79. The house I grew up in, and my mom still lives in is over 100 years old. Of course everything was fucked up in that house until my mom gutted it 15 years ago. My current house acts like the issues from when I grew up , and it shouldn't be that bad. But numerous instances have shown shoddy work from previous owners.
I had an old friend help build something in our basement a few years ago, and he's familiar with electrical shit. Well, that's another disaster, and shit isnt labeled and nothing was grounded. He spent hours grounding a bunch of stuff, and an old hidden outlet. I didn't expect those internal issues in a house built in '79.

I'm glad we will have everything new and up to code next year. I feel like any repairs should be easier to figure out on our own for a while at least (and after warranties).
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-11-11, 10:09

Dendrobates wrote:

Thats really cool to know and have those kind of experiences. What has frustrated me about my current house, are that we have these "not easy fixes" when it was only built in 79. The house I grew up in, and my mom still lives in is over 100 years old. Of course everything was fucked up in that house until my mom gutted it 15 years ago. My current house acts like the issues from when I grew up , and it shouldn't be that bad. But numerous instances have shown shoddy work from previous owners.
I had an old friend help build something in our basement a few years ago, and he's familiar with electrical shit. Well, that's another disaster,  and shit isnt labeled and nothing was grounded. He spent hours grounding a bunch of stuff, and an old hidden outlet. I didn't expect those internal issues in a house built in '79.

I'm glad we will have everything new and up to code next year. I feel like any repairs should be easier to figure out on our own for a while at least (and after warranties).
Mid 70s to early 80s spec homes are some of the worst IMO.  Shoddy carpentry/workmanship and the cheapest materials/windows/doors/fittings & fixtures.  Sometimes wonder if there were any municipal building inspectors then, or if they had all been paid off.  Haven't been on a residential stairway built during that time frame that didn't creak.

Did a full remodel of the kitchen in my last home, originally constructed in 76.  Moved placement of every functional item, except where the range was.  Took out a non-structural wall and part of another to open the kitchen up to the dining and living room.  Turned out pretty cool...made the entire area more people friendly.

While doing the tear out came upon some of the shoddy.  Taking down the walls, many of the 2x4's were not even close to plumb...kinda surprised they managed to hang drywall on them.  Studded a little 45° wall to replace the partial wall I took out.  Used screws to attach it to the old structure because that stud was way off plumb...had to shim a few times to get the new wall square.  Old wiring and plumbing were sloppy, done in haste apparently.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

MattyFresh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-11-11, 10:34

Dendrobates wrote:You guys are the best.  I just wanted to say that.

Since I made the claim with this possibly being an issue on the plumber, and time, I will let you know what happens after they come on Friday.
so did the plumber come on Friday??  Swill handyman advice - Page 2 3434560931

Swill handyman advice - Page 2 4c8a9bebd940ebf6c963a4cfb2497244
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-11-11, 22:46

The Pantry wrote:
aualum06 wrote:
Pretty awesome.

There's a home in Troy I general contracted from architecture to certificate of occupancy in the early 90's. Except for my kids, my proudest achievement.

Wyff got the home in the divorce and I ended up funding the mortgage via spousal support until she sold it a few years ago.

Spent hours there during the construction, after working 9-10 doing my regular job. Was in the architectural chimney enclosure one night putting in fire stop material to comply with building code when I decided to take a break. Pulled a pen out my pocket and wrote on a structural 2x4 something no one will likely ever see. Only I know where I penned that.

Sweet. Great story. This house is all cement block and hard timber from the woods on the property
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-11-11, 22:47

DWags wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

First of all, that’s cool as hell. And I cant imagine how things were done with tools available back then.

Original house burnt down so they lived in the basement that was left while building the new one
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-11-13, 10:02

The plumbers didn’t even look into it, they just replaced the disposal. All is well.

I’m looking forward to being able to do some projects on a house that wasn’t built like crap.

Pantry- It’s interesting that it was a trend in the 70s and 80s for those crappy houses. I’m glad it’s a trend and not that the house is just crap.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2