Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old timers and you youngins, the big four on offense at MSU, best ever?

+9
MiamiSpartan
Heat Miser
MSU addict
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
Travis of the Cosmos
Motown Spartan
DWags
13 posters

Go down

Old timers and you youngins, the big four on offense at MSU, best ever?  Empty Old timers and you youngins, the big four on offense at MSU, best ever?

Post by DWags 2021-10-11, 13:26

Yeah I’m jumping the gun here but the big four: where would you rank them!

Groups:

1978. Eddie Smith, Gibson, Byrd, Bramer

2013/14. Cook Lippett Mumphry Langford

2021. Thorne Reed Nailor Walker

1965. Steve Juday Clinton Jones Gene Washington Bob Apisa

Thoughts.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Old timers and you youngins, the big four on offense at MSU, best ever?  Empty Re: Old timers and you youngins, the big four on offense at MSU, best ever?

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-10-11, 13:35

Man this is a good question and comparison and impossible to determine. I think the threat of Walker definitely makes Reed and Nailor more of a threat and vice versa all around. I think the play calling from one era to a next also makes it difficult to compare. All of that being said, what we have seen so far, this year would be #1. Let's revisit this after we see teams with consistently better defenses and after we have seen some more adversity. Can they continue to perform like this when they NEED to perform like this.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Old timers and you youngins, the big four on offense at MSU, best ever?  Empty Re: Old timers and you youngins, the big four on offense at MSU, best ever?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-10-11, 13:38

Smoker Rogers Haygood and Duckett were pretty good, no? I barely remember that though so I can’t help you there.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-10-11, 13:39

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Smoker Rogers Haygood and Duckett were pretty good, no? I barely remember that though so I can’t help you there.

Great pick up. Yes. Very good.

Lorenzo White and Rison were on their own.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-10-11, 13:45

1995 - Tony Banks, Derrick Mason, Muhsin Muhammad, Nigea Carter, and Marc Renaud.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, Turtleneck and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-10-11, 13:51

DWags wrote:Yeah I’m jumping the gun here but the big four: where would you rank them!

Groups:

Thoughts.

This team reminds me more of 2011 team. Thorne/Reed/Nailor has a similar feel to Cousins/BJ/Keshwan. That team had stable of RBs though with Bell/Baker/Caper. But KWIII speaks for himself.

Anyway you cut it, this offense is fun to watch.

Last edited by Nordic on 2021-10-11, 13:52; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, AvgMSUJoe and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-10-11, 13:52

Cousins Bell Cunningham and Keyshawn
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-10-11, 13:55

Motown Spartan wrote:Man this is a good question and comparison and impossible to determine. I think the threat of Walker definitely makes Reed and Nailor more of a threat and vice versa all around. I think the play calling from one era to a next also makes it difficult to compare. All of that being said, what we have seen so far, this year would be #1. Let's revisit this after we see teams with consistently better defenses and after we have seen some more adversity. Can they continue to perform like this when they NEED to perform like this.

Reed is bona-fide NFLer. Nailor's progression reminds me of Keshawn Martin. Speed guy that could be used on screens and runs. Then slowly transformed into downfeild threat.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-10-11, 13:56

1987 was like White, White, Rison and White.

* I totally forgot to add Ezor as the 5th guy.

Last edited by Floyd Robertson on 2021-10-11, 14:12; edited 1 time in total
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay, DWags, MSU addict and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-10-11, 14:06

Nordic wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:Man this is a good question and comparison and impossible to determine. I think the threat of Walker definitely makes Reed and Nailor more of a threat and vice versa all around. I think the play calling from one era to a next also makes it difficult to compare. All of that being said, what we have seen so far, this year would be #1. Let's revisit this after we see teams with consistently better defenses and after we have seen some more adversity. Can they continue to perform like this when they NEED to perform like this.

Reed is bona-fide NFLer. Nailor's progression reminds me of Keshawn Martin. Speed guy that could be used on screens and runs. Then slowly transformed into downfeild threat.

Totally agree. And the threat of Reed and Walker make Nailor better. And Nailor makes them better too.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-10-11, 14:24

DWags wrote:Cousins Bell Cunningham and Keyshawn

This is at the top of my leader board… for now.
Christ, I’m too old to remember all these teams, let alone the players names. Old timers and you youngins, the big four on offense at MSU, best ever?  1811933421
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-10-11, 16:45

Floyd Robertson wrote:1987 was like White, White, Rison and White.

My thought was 1987 as well. Both Lorenzo White and Rison were first round picks. Willie Bouyer at WR had a cup of coffee in the NFL as did RB Blake Ezor. Bobby McAllister was the QB.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-10-11, 17:21

MSU addict wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:1987 was like White, White, Rison and White.

My thought was 1987 as well. Both Lorenzo White and Rison were first round picks. Willie Bouyer at WR had a cup of coffee in the NFL as did RB Blake Ezor. Bobby McAllister was the QB.

My 3rd year at State. About 10 of us rented an RV & drove straight thru to Pasadena. 2 guys driving 12 hour shifts. 8 guys drinking in the back. Partied in Westwood a few nights. Hooked up with a CA girl. Scalped tix on NYE in the RV lot. IIRC, we paid ~$60 each. Good times.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-10-11, 17:48

Motown Spartan wrote:1995 - Tony Banks, Derrick Mason, Muhsin Muhammad, Nigea Carter, and Marc Renaud.

And then there's Scotty Greene with them, too!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-10-11, 19:01

And then there's Scotty Greene with them, too!

That was a fun team to watch but man did they suck on defense. They allowed fewer than 20 points only twice that season.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2021-10-11, 20:28

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:Yeah I’m jumping the gun here but the big four: where would you rank them!

Groups:

Thoughts.

This team reminds me more of 2011 team. Thorne/Reed/Nailor has a similar feel to Cousins/BJ/Keshwan. That team had stable of RBs though with Bell/Baker/Caper. But KWIII speaks for himself.

Anyway you cut it, this offense is fun to watch.

The 2011 offense also had Keith Nichol and Brian Linthicum. That was a savvy and tough receiving corps who would block downfield. This year's team buys into "no block, no rock" too. It's pretty incredible to have this much talent and unselfishness. No one was happier than Reed and Walker to see Nailor have that breakout game.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-10-11, 20:49

Johnson is the best OC I’ve seen. Depending how we do vs Osu, UofM and PSU I could declare this the best offense of my life. Go Green!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

DWags and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-10-11, 21:50

DWags wrote:Cousins Bell Cunningham and Keyshawn

Add tight ends Dion Sims, Charlie Gant and Brian Lthicum. Plus RB Edwin Baker. Loaded.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2021-10-11, 22:41

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Smoker Rogers Haygood and Duckett were pretty good, no? I barely remember that though so I can’t help you there.

The 2001 Silicon Valley Classic: Rogers 270 yards and two TDs, Duckett 184 and two TDs, Smoker 22-32-376 with three TDs and one interception. That was a high-powered group.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-12, 09:08

Should look at this from an overall production verses the rest of the B1G or football in general.

On that basis I would think the 1978 team or JLS's teams would be towards the top.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down