Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Banning

+18
Jake from State Farm
Rocinante
Motown Spartan
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
NigelUno
Bredo Morstoel
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
DWags
Cameron
GRR Spartan
RQA
Floyd Robertson
Trapper Gus
Robert J Sakimano
Pervis Muldoon
aualum06
22 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Book Banning - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Banning

Post by NigelUno Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:41 pm

RQA wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Were you outraged when he tried to squash free speech?

I have little fear that Elon Musk could "squash" free speech. So not outraged.

To be clear...you are touting Elon Musk as a proponent of free speech for a social media platform, even though he tried to squash free speech on a social media platform.

And also to be clear...that wasn't a question.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:51 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
RQA wrote:

When you're the boss and hire good people slow days are a sign of success.

Or complacency and laziness.

Complacency and laziness generally doesn't lead to success so my version seems more likely.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:57 pm

kingstonlake wrote:Clinging to lies about the results of a free election doesn't mean it was stolen.

Are we talking about the Russian collision of 2016 or the fraudulent WI votes of 2020?

Should both be allowed to be spoken? Or neither? Or just one? If so, which one?
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:01 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

Interesting wording. The books have been selected for exclusion, not inclusion. Hence, they are banned.

The average elementary school library has about 1000 books. By your "interesting wording" that means every book outside of the chosen 1000 is banned.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:03 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:The same people that claim guns laws are draconian don't believe that actually book bannings are book bannings. Make it make sense Bob!

Generalize much?

I don't believe that all gun laws are draconian but I also don't think choosing to exclude age inappropriate books from a school library is "banning".
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:17 pm

RQA wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:The same people that claim guns laws are draconian don't believe that actually book bannings are book bannings. Make it make sense Bob!

Generalize much?

I don't believe that all gun laws are draconian but I also don't think choosing to exclude age inappropriate books from a school library is "banning".  

Changing the selection of books in the library from decisions by trained educators to parents changes the selection process from "age appropreate" to political.

Having sat through some gd awlful readings of books designed to brainwash children into a belief in Christ before they have the critical facilities to question what is being read to them, as a parent I would say any book with God in it might be considered age inappropriate.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:23 pm

The RussianQuislingAgent is posting his ass off justifying the latest round of GOP attempts to modify/ censor history at K-12 level and public libraries.

In typical GOP fashion he’s clinging to the straw that if it can be purchased somewhere it’s not banned based on the belief everyone can purchase books.

The RussianQuislingAgent uses the same logic on needing a photo ID like a driver’s license to register and then vote. Because of the false logic that nearly all eligible voters should have drivers licenses.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:20 pm

RQA wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Interesting wording. The books have been selected for exclusion, not inclusion. Hence, they are banned.

The average elementary school library has about 1000 books. By your "interesting wording" that means every book outside of the chosen 1000 is banned.

Logic and rhetoric are not strong suits of yours, are they?

There is an extremely obvious difference between a book a library does not possess and a book which a library has explicitly banned.

Surely a successful big shot businessman like yourself can figure that distinction out. You're not in the NFL, right? Were you banned, or did you just not make a team? Are you getting this yet, or do I need to dumb it down even more for you?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:32 pm

RQA wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

What an oddly specific and clearly made up stat. Like, you did not need to make up a number, but you did anyway.

Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:05 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:blah...blah....blah....
Book Banning - Page 2 1550444538

Still waiting for your answers from questions posed in post #12........
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:11 pm

Cameron wrote:
There is an extremely obvious difference between a book a library does not possess and a book which a library has explicitly banned.

There really isn't. Each book is not in the library because it was not felt appropriate to have it there for whatever reason. If it is a book that leftists want 8 year olds to read such as Gender Queer, then they call the reason for it not being in the library BANNING!

All the books you guys have listed as being banned are readily available to anyone who wants to read them. Leftists cheapen the meaning of words. Like the accusation RACIST!, book banning will similarly loose its true meaning.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:12 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

What an oddly specific and clearly made up stat. Like, you did not need to make up a number, but you did anyway.

It's called research. You should try it sometime.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 pm

RQA wrote:

I did a quick google, and every number I saw was significantly higher than 1000. Mind providing a source for 1000? I don’t mean that to be a weirdo like some people when they say “link please” I’m genuinely curious.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:43 pm

RQA wrote:
Cameron wrote:

There really isn't.   Each book is not in the library because it was not felt appropriate to have it there for whatever reason.     If it is a book that leftists want 8 year olds to read such as Gender Queer, then they call the reason for it not being in the library BANNING!  

All the books you guys have listed as being banned are readily available to anyone who wants to read them.    Leftists cheapen the meaning of words.   Like the accusation RACIST!, book banning will similarly loose its true meaning.  

Because a library doesn't have a certain book does not mean the book was considered inappropriate, and it's foolish to claim otherwise.  Inadequate space and inadequate funding are probably two of the top reasons a library doesn't carry a particular book.  

You try to distort the meanings of words, as you did last week by calling a lie a "disparity".  As for the word "racist", you're only saying it has lost its meaning because it has been used to describe you and many of your favorite people.

To ban is to prohibit.  Being banned from a library means that officials have prohibited the library from carrying it.  It does not mean it's been eliminated from the face of the earth.  Your argument is very silly, and I wish you just enough of an IQ bump to be embarrassed by what you've posted.

Edit: changed "discrepancy" to "disparity" for accuracy. The point remains.

Last edited by Pervis Muldoon on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:45 pm

RQA wrote:

Considering you seem incapable of doing research, I suspect your recent complaints about the business environment have less to do with Whitmer and Biden and more to do with an unwillingness to work hard in life. You are for sure that person who spends more time blaming others than actually doing the work to be successful. I bet you take a lot of naps. Maybe you're a GreenWay schtick.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:46 pm

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
RQA wrote:

There really isn't.   Each book is not in the library because it was not felt appropriate to have it there for whatever reason.     If it is a book that leftists want 8 year olds to read such as Gender Queer, then they call the reason for it not being in the library BANNING!  

All the books you guys have listed as being banned are readily available to anyone who wants to read them.    Leftists cheapen the meaning of words.   Like the accusation RACIST!, book banning will similarly loose its true meaning.  

Because a library doesn't have a certain book does not mean the book was considered inappropriate
, and it's foolish to claim otherwise.  Inadequate space and inadequate funding are probably two of the top reasons a library doesn't carry a particular book.  

You try to distort the meanings of words, as you did last week by calling a lie a "discrepancy".  As for the word "racist", you're only saying it has lost its meaning because it has been used to describe you and many of your favorite people.

To ban is to prohibit.  Being banned from a library means that officials have prohibited the library from carrying it.  It does not mean it's been eliminated from the face of the earth.  Your argument is very silly, and I wish you just enough of an IQ bump to be embarrassed by what you've posted.

So the poster is just really, really simple or being intellectually dishonest. I have seen this before. It's no way to go through life.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Pervis Muldoon and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:55 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

Because a library doesn't have a certain book does not mean the book was considered inappropriate
, and it's foolish to claim otherwise.  Inadequate space and inadequate funding are probably two of the top reasons a library doesn't carry a particular book.  

You try to distort the meanings of words, as you did last week by calling a lie a "discrepancy".  As for the word "racist", you're only saying it has lost its meaning because it has been used to describe you and many of your favorite people.

So the poster is just really, really simple or being intellectually dishonest. I have seen this before. It's no way to go through life.

He was statistically the most dishonest poster on the Wells board, and seems intent on capturing the same title here.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

DWags, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:24 pm

I should have known I couldn't possibly dumb it down enough.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:46 pm

Cameron wrote:I should have known I couldn't possibly dumb it down enough.

If the average elementary school library has 1000 books and there are 130,000,000 million books in the world, by RQA's logic each library has sorted through and deemed inappropriate approximately 129,999,000 books. Yeah, that makes sense. So much sense.

Also, the bans are not limited to elementary school classrooms or libraries in the books RQA cited from the database, so even the framing attempts to distort the truth. This is really about our resident authoritarian trying to distract from his love for book banning while simultaneously claiming to be a super-patriotic, nap-taking, freedom-loving American.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Pervis Muldoon and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:06 am

I did a quick google, and every number I saw was significantly higher than 1000. Mind providing a source for 1000? I don’t mean that to be a weirdo like some people when they say “link please” I’m genuinely curious.

https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/teaching-tools/articles/11-essentials-for-a-highly-effective-classroom-library.html

Suggestion here is for a minimum of 750 books or perhaps 30 books per student.

Given those are minimum recommendations about 1000 seemed a reasonable figure.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:26 am

RQA wrote:

https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/teaching-tools/articles/11-essentials-for-a-highly-effective-classroom-library.html

30 books per student and 1000 books is only 33 students in the whole school. Michigan had an average enrollment of 403
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:41 am

RQA wrote:

That's for a classroom library, not the "average elementary school library".

Your "research" could use some work.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, Turtleneck and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:49 am

Pervis Muldoon wrote:

You try to distort the meanings of words, as you did last week by calling a lie a "discrepancy".

Feel free to revisit this one Pervis. You will only embarrass yourself.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:52 am

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

He was statistically the most dishonest poster on the Wells board, and seems intent on capturing the same title here.

All are welcome here. We aren’t TOB. I read his stuff and roll my eyes as to him ever wanting honest discourse. It’s everyone’s choice as to whether they want to try with this guy. I won’t bang my head against a wall. But it’s entertaining to read.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:05 am

DWags wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

All are welcome here. We aren’t TOB.  I read his stuff and roll my eyes as to him ever wanting honest discourse.  It’s everyone’s choice as to whether they want to try with this guy.  I won’t bang my head against a wall.  But it’s entertaining to read.

Stupidy can be entertaining at times. The racism part isn't.

Last edited by kingstonlake on Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Pervis Muldoon and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:11 am

DWags wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

All are welcome here. We aren’t TOB. I read his stuff and roll my eyes as to him ever wanting honest discourse. It’s everyone’s choice as to whether they want to try with this guy. I won’t bang my head against a wall. But it’s entertaining to read.

I argued against his banning on the other board and wouldn't want him banned here either. I just enjoy pointing out when he strays from the truth.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:15 am

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
DWags wrote:

I argued against his banning on the other board and wouldn't want him banned here either. I just enjoy pointing out when he strays from the truth.

Agree.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:17 am

kingstonlake wrote: There racism part isn't.

And I refer you back to post #51
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:40 am

RQA wrote:
kingstonlake wrote: There racism part isn't.

And I refer you back to post #51

I really try to limit my interactions with you. I try to avoid racists and racism.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:57 pm

On a related note note, since the Florida state education department rejected math textbooks based on what it deemed as questionable content...

MATH CONCEPTS THE STATE OF FLORIDA FINDS OBJECTIONABLE

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/math-concepts-the-state-of-florida-finds-objectionable
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:02 pm

Turtleneck wrote:On a related note note, since the Florida state education department rejected math textbooks based on what it deemed as questionable content...

MATH CONCEPTS THE STATE OF FLORIDA FINDS OBJECTIONABLE

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/math-concepts-the-state-of-florida-finds-objectionable

Well played.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:16 am

DWags wrote:

All are welcome here. We aren’t TOB.  I read his stuff and roll my eyes as to him ever wanting honest discourse.  It’s everyone’s choice as to whether they want to try with this guy.  I won’t bang my head against a wall.  But it’s entertaining to read.

Dwags, do you roll your eyes when kingston calls me a racist evidently simply for being a conservative?   Do you think it's honest discourse to call someone a book banner for thinking Gender Queer doesn't belong in an elementary school? Is it an eye roller when Pervis says I lied by saying he wasn't following something instead of he wasn't interested? (it may have been the other way around).
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:21 am

Pervis Muldoon wrote:

Banning??? Book Banning - Page 2 420617953

What possibly have I posted here that even merits bringing that up pro or con?

Even funnier bringing it up in a thread on book banning. Book Banning - Page 2 2803167989

RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:43 am

RQA wrote:
DWags wrote:

Dwags, do you roll your eyes when kingston calls me a racist evidently simply for being a conservative?   Do you think it's honest discourse to call someone a book banner for thinking Gender Queer doesn't belong in an elementary school? Is it an eye roller when Pervis says I lied by saying he wasn't following something instead of he wasn't interested? (it may have been the other way around).

Your opinions are always accepted here. That’s not what my post was about. But again, you knew that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:48 am

Gender dysphoria typically begins between the ages of 4 and 7 so yes, the term genderqueer absolutely belongs in elementary school along with genderqueer elementary school students.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:37 am

RQA wrote:
DWags wrote:

Please tell us what it means to be a conservative. A lot of us could and need to learn from you. If possible, since you do so much research, feel free to start with Burke and work forward so we can see how conservatism has evolved or taken on a different shape in the U.S. I assume you have done this research, right?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:39 am

DWags wrote:
RQA wrote:

Your opinions are always accepted here. That’s not what my post was about. But again, you knew that.

I thought there were a couple of things your post was about.

I do appreciate your hospitality.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:46 am

RQA wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

Banning??? Book Banning - Page 2 420617953

What possibly have I posted here that even merits bringing that up pro or con?

Even funnier bringing it up in a thread on book banning. Book Banning - Page 2 2803167989

If you were banned here, would you argue you weren't really banned because you could post on a different message board?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:49 am

Motown Spartan wrote:Gender dysphoria typically begins between the ages of 4 and 7 so yes, the term genderqueer absolutely belongs in elementary school along with genderqueer elementary school students.

I have been actually referring to the book Gender Queer: A Memoir not the term genderqueer.

But as you brought it up, I would think K-3 graders should be focused on reading, writing, spelling, math and learning to tie their shoes before moving onto sexuality. If there is concern about gender dysphoria in a particular student that would seem to be an issue for the parents and their chosen doctors to deal with rather than their first grade teacher.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:50 am

Maybe people could stop posting like a racist. That might help in not being called a racist.

For example: When people say an "obvious racist" mowed white people and a white child down base on race in a parade, did he provide any evidence that it was a racist attack? Or were they just trying to insert their own beliefs into an unknown? I mean, evidence would help.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next