Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This man was the leader of our Michigan senate. This is frightening

+7
msugolfguy
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
AvgMSUJoe
Trapper Gus
DWags
11 posters

Go down

This man was the leader of our Michigan senate.  This is frightening  Empty This man was the leader of our Michigan senate. This is frightening

Post by DWags 12/8/2022, 8:02 am

What the fuck people, what the fuck?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/michigan/2022/12/08/michigan-senate-gop-leader-mike-shirkey-warns-of-push-for-one-world-governance-farewell-address/69710465007/
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

This man was the leader of our Michigan senate.  This is frightening  Empty Re: This man was the leader of our Michigan senate. This is frightening

Post by Trapper Gus 12/8/2022, 8:25 am

Star Chamber tin foil hat stuff.

Or an example of why term limits were a bad idea.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Wally Fairway and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

This man was the leader of our Michigan senate.  This is frightening  Empty Re: This man was the leader of our Michigan senate. This is frightening

Post by AvgMSUJoe 12/8/2022, 10:15 am

Amen brotha, we should triple their pay and publicly fund ALL elections. Get the best and the brightest, not the assholes we get now.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

gomersbro, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 12/8/2022, 10:22 am

exhibit A in how/why Democrats took control of the state House and Senate for the first time in nearly 40 years. This man was the leader of our Michigan senate.  This is frightening  3493939353

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 12/8/2022, 10:38 am

No one should be surprised that a Bible thumping pol would sound like late evangelist Jack Van Impe who made a career predicting The End Times were coming soon.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 12/8/2022, 11:50 am

"Well, that was weird," state Sen. Jeremy Moss, D-Southfield, tweeted.

This man was the leader of our Michigan senate.  This is frightening  502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Other Teams Pursuing That, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 12/8/2022, 12:29 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Amen brotha, we should triple their pay and publicly fund ALL elections. Get the best and the brightest, not the assholes we get now.

You publicly fund elections and minimize corporate donations. We don't need to triple pay people. Lots of people in the non profit world that are fantastic people that take lousy pay because they believe in public service.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 12/8/2022, 12:30 pm

DWags wrote:What the fuck people, what the fuck?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/michigan/2022/12/08/michigan-senate-gop-leader-mike-shirkey-warns-of-push-for-one-world-governance-farewell-address/69710465007/

They really believe they are becoming second class citizens.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 12/8/2022, 3:00 pm

msugolfguy wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Amen brotha, we should triple their pay and publicly fund ALL elections. Get the best and the brightest, not the assholes we get now.

You publicly fund elections and minimize corporate donations. We don't need to triple pay people. Lots of people in the non profit world that are fantastic people that take lousy pay because they believe in public service.
Yeah, but you wouldn't have to rely on a sense of altruism to get leaders. Good old Merican cash could also be a motivator (for the Rs).

(FWIW, I'd never take the pay cut to be a state senator today. Temp job, shitty pay, everyone hates you, nothing toward your retirement... you gotta have a real crap job to think it's a step up.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 12/8/2022, 3:05 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:

Yeah, but you wouldn't have to rely on a sense of altruism to get leaders. Good old Merican cash could also be a motivator (for the Rs).

(FWIW, I'd never take the pay cut to be a state senator today. Temp job, shitty pay, everyone hates you, nothing toward your retirement... you gotta have a real crap job to think it's a step up.)

This guys right. Not to mention that if politicians were handsomely rewarded for their work then they’d be less susceptible to corruption from shitty lobbyists. Basically- bribe them ourselves so that bribes from others aren’t necessary.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 12/8/2022, 5:12 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

This guys right. Not to mention that if politicians were handsomely rewarded for their work then they’d be less susceptible to corruption from shitty lobbyists. Basically- bribe them ourselves so that bribes from others aren’t necessary.

I think what we're proposing is essential reform around how these elections are financed.

Essential these are public service jobs. You're not getting rich off them. You think triple the salary is going to do any good when they can trade on inside information or get a lobbying job if they pass a corporate tax law... that in the long run would pay them millions more.

You have to set laws in place. Can't serve on a corporate board for 5 years, can't take a lobbying job for 5 years. There's things we can do and I'm probably navie because I spent 5 years in a non profit job but there's a lot of good leadership in those places. To say we'd restrict the talent pool is silly because it's pretty shallow as is.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 12/8/2022, 5:38 pm

msugolfguy wrote:

Or, perhaps, they believe they will no longer have the privileged place in our country.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 12/8/2022, 5:52 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:

Or, perhaps, they believe they will no longer have the privileged place in our country.

Yeah that's what I think it is too but it's tough.

There was one thing that tipped me off to that thinking and it was during a brief Government shut down during Trump... they interviewed a Trump voter in Florida and I think they were furloughed or a family member and the quote basically was "They aren't supposed to be hurting us, they are supposed to be hurting them". That one stuck with me.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 12/8/2022, 5:57 pm

msugolfguy wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

There was one thing that tipped me off to that thinking and it was during a brief Government shut down during Trump... they interviewed a Trump voter in Florida and I think they were furloughed or a family member and the quote basically was "They aren't supposed to be hurting us, they are supposed to be hurting them". That one stuck with me.

Yes, I remember that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 12/8/2022, 7:18 pm

msugolfguy wrote:

I think what we're proposing is essential reform around how these elections are financed.

Essential these are public service jobs. You're not getting rich off them. You think triple the salary is going to do any good when they can trade on inside information or get a lobbying job if they pass a corporate tax law... that in the long run would pay them millions more.

You have to set laws in place. Can't serve on a corporate board for 5 years, can't take a lobbying job for 5 years. There's things we can do and I'm probably navie because I spent 5 years in a non profit job but there's a lot of good leadership in those places. To say we'd restrict the talent pool is silly because it's pretty shallow as is.

It’s shallow because who in their right mind would take a state representative job right now? Anyone reasonably qualified for such a job is going to have to take a pay cut in order to do it. And now you want to further restrict what they can do after the job? You’re basically telling me that the only people you want in office are independently wealthy already. You want to be ruled by oligarchs.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 12/8/2022, 7:48 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote: You want to be ruled by oligarchs.

Or goobers who think a temp job making 70k a year is the shit. (Like my local dumb ass sheriff, and the guy who was a salesmen at zales who ran for state senate in my area)
No corporate VPs in charge of big things running for those jobs. Shit, mediocre academics even make more. (...Let alone best and brightest)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 12/9/2022, 1:32 am

msugolfguy wrote:

It’s shallow because who in their right mind would take a state representative job right now? Anyone reasonably qualified for such a job is going to have to take a pay cut in order to do it. And now you want to further restrict what they can do after the job? You’re basically telling me that the only people you want in office are independently wealthy already. You want to be ruled by oligarchs.

That's different from what we currently have, how?

No, what I'm doing is taking out an incentive for them to sell out the people they represent for a better job when they are done serving the people. They can go back and do whatever they we're doing before, doctor, lawyer, business owner, teacher, farmer, whatever.

Do you think Mike Sherily should have any business serving on the board of a large company? Because that's a distinct possibility or making low six figures as a lobbyist? I'm curious what you think he brings to the table.

msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 12/9/2022, 8:27 am

jesus freaks are basically an all-u-can-eat bar of entertainment.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 12/9/2022, 9:08 am

Wow, republicans, what the ever living fuck
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 12/9/2022, 9:34 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:

Yes, I remember that.

you guys remember the same quote?! wow

I will admit though that it is a simple and enlightening quote giving a peek into the Trump cult mindset. At the core it is selfish narcissism, as long as its someone else getting harmed it doesn't matter. Who would have thought trump voters would reflect trump in that way?
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 12/9/2022, 12:46 pm

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Yes, I remember that.

I will admit though that it is a simple and enlightening quote giving a peek into the Trump cult mindset. At the core it is selfish narcissism, as long as its someone else getting harmed it doesn't matter. Who would have thought trump voters would reflect trump in that way?

Anyone with a link on that? Fascinating.

Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 12/9/2022, 1:04 pm

Rick Saunders wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

Anyone with a link on that? Fascinating.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2019/1/8/18173678/trump-shutdown-voter-florida
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 12/10/2022, 7:05 am

What name does he post under on MGoBoard?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down