Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fusion Baby!! No more oil wars!!!

+4
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Trapper Gus
Motown Spartan
8 posters

Go down

Fusion Baby!! No more oil wars!!! Empty Fusion Baby!! No more oil wars!!!

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-12-13, 10:30

Republicans are going to hate this.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Fusion Baby!! No more oil wars!!! Empty Re: Fusion Baby!! No more oil wars!!!

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-13, 10:43

Motown Spartan wrote:Republicans are going to hate this.

I haven't seen any analysis on commercial development, or the costs involved.

AP wrote:Riccardo Betti, a professor at the University of Rochester and expert in laser fusion, said an announcement that net energy had been gained in a fusion reaction would be significant. But he said there’s a long road ahead before the result generates sustainable electricity.

The net energy gain achievement applied to the fusion reaction itself, not the total amount of power it took to operate the lasers and run the project. For fusion to be viable, it will need to produce significantly more power and for longer.

Reading this says that the amount of energy hitting the fuel pellet, and the breakthrough here is the composition of the fuel pellet, is less that the fuel pellet gave out. Due to the efficiencies of the lasers, it is unclear, but probably that the total energy needed to create the conditions was still more than the created energy.

https://apnews.com/article/science-business-california-climate-and-environment-d6cb7b048ce916e04be809482fd9cbe6?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_09
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-12-13, 10:55

NO MORE OIL TRAPPER!!!!

And yes, it's not going to happen tomorrow, but now that they have accomplished it, they can solve for all of those other variables.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-13, 11:08

Motown Spartan wrote:NO MORE OIL TRAPPER!!!!

And yes, it's not going to happen tomorrow, but now that they have accomplished it, they can solve for all of those other variables.

I applaud your enthusiasm. Fusion Baby!! No more oil wars!!! 1486952199

However ... and you knew this was coming ...

Cold Fusion creates positive energy also, and yes, in the shadows that research has been ongoing. The problem is that the energy gain is not far enough above unity to create sustainable methods of self-supporting power generation.

Energy generation above unity, isn't enough. This is a nice step, but at these energy levels it doesn't look like a technology that can be used to make enough energy even to sustain itself, let along sustain power generation.

Renewables, right now, are a more practical way to reduce the use of fossil fuels.

Right now, all the homeowners on the board should be installing heat pump systems, with, or without a geo-thermal component, as the best way to move away from oil.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-12-13, 11:25

Is this like the Tony Stark thing in Iron Man, or the Bruce Wayne thing in the Dark Knight Rises?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-12-13, 11:27

NigelUno wrote:Is this like the Tony Stark thing in Iron Man, or the Bruce Wayne thing in the Dark Knight Rises?

Both

Tony Stark did it in a cave!!! With a box of scraps!!!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-13, 11:32

NigelUno wrote:Is this like the Tony Stark thing in Iron Man, or the Bruce Wayne thing in the Dark Knight Rises?

More like Bruce Wayne, only with lower power gain, well negative if the power for the lasers is taken into account.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-12-13, 11:36

Trapper Gus wrote:

More like Bruce Wayne, only with lower power gain, well negative if the power for the lasers is taken into account.

You're making wet blankets seem cozy.

Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-13, 11:45

Motown Spartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I was as enthusiastic about Cold Fusion, until I did the engineering and realized it has a long development process, just like this Hot Fusion experiment, until it can be a useful technology.

Similarly, I wasn't a big cheerleader for Renewable Generation, until I saw the price per kW becoming lower that the price per kW for existing power plants. There are still political roadblocks, but the economics of cheaper generation via renewables means that the generating companies are embracing it, which is a really big deal.

The "electric", lower greenhouse emission future is almost here! Fusion Baby!! No more oil wars!!! 969504605
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-12-13, 11:51

Trapper Gus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

I was as enthusiastic about Cold Fusion, until I did the engineering and realized it has a long development process, just like this Hot Fusion experiment, until it can be a useful technology.

Similarly, I wasn't a big cheerleader for Renewable Generation, until I saw the price per kW becoming lower that the price per kW for existing power plants.  There are still political roadblocks, but the economics of cheaper generation via renewables means that the generating companies are embracing it, which is a really big deal.

The "electric", lower greenhouse emission future is almost here! Fusion Baby!! No more oil wars!!! 969504605

This is the proverbial "light bulb" moment for this though. This proves that the holy grail idea is possible. Now they need to repeat it and scale it up.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-12-13, 11:54

Trapper Gus wrote:

Cold Fusion creates positive energy also, and yes, in the shadows that research has been ongoing. The problem is that the energy gain is not far enough above unity to create sustainable methods of self-supporting power generation.

Energy generation above unity, isn't enough. This is a nice step, but at these energy levels it doesn't look like a technology that can be used to make enough energy even to sustain itself, let along sustain power generation.

Renewables, right now, are a more practical way to reduce the use of fossil fuels.

Right now, all the homeowners on the board should be installing heat pump systems, with, or without a geo-thermal component, as the best way to move away from oil.

Any idea what's going on with the tax credit or rebates for the heat pump systems? I'm wanting to put in a heat pump and water heater heat pump but I'm holding off until the rebates or tax credits are announced.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-13, 11:59

Motown Spartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Similarly, I wasn't a big cheerleader for Renewable Generation, until I saw the price per kW becoming lower that the price per kW for existing power plants.  There are still political roadblocks, but the economics of cheaper generation via renewables means that the generating companies are embracing it, which is a really big deal.

This is the proverbial "light bulb" moment for this though. This proves that the holy grail idea is possible. Now they need to repeat it and scale it up.

Sort of - as no one was questioning if there was such a thing as fusion, and they had been creating fusion at a "Q" below 1 for years.

But on Dec. 5, during one run, something changed.

"Last week, for the first time, they designed this experiment so that the fusion fuel stayed hot enough, dense enough and round enough for long enough that it ignited," Marv Adams, deputy administrator at the NNSA, said during the conference. "And it produced more energy than the lasers had deposited."

More specifically, scientists at NIF kickstarted a fusion reaction using about 2 megajoules of energy to power the lasers and were able to get about 3 megajoules out. Based on the definition of ignition used by NIF, the benchmark has been passed during this one short pulse.

You might also see that energy gain in a fusion reaction is denoted by a variable, Q.

Like ignition, the Q value can refer to different things for different experiments. But here, it's referring to the energy input from the lasers versus the energy output from the capsule. If Q = 1, scientists say they have achieved "breakeven," where energy in equals energy out.

The Q value for this run, for context, was around 1.5.

In the grand scheme of things, the energy created with this Q value is only about enough to boil water in a kettle.

"The calculation of energy gain only considers the energy that hit the target, and not the [very large] energy consumption that goes into supporting the infrastructure," said Patrick Burr, a nuclear engineer at the University of New South Wales.

the ITER experiment, under construction in France, uses a tokamak and is expected to begin testing in the next decade. It has lofty goals, aiming to achieve a Q greater than 10 and to develop commercial fusion by 2050.

https://www.cnet.com/science/fusion-energy-breakthrough-major-milestone-achieved-in-us-experiment/

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2022-12-13, 12:03; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-13, 12:02

Any idea what's going on with the tax credit or rebates for the heat pump systems? I'm wanting to put in a heat pump and water heater heat pump but I'm holding off until the rebates or tax credits are announced.

https://ecoblock.berkeley.edu/2022/08/heres-how-the-inflation-reduction-acts-rebates-and-tax-credits-for-heat-pumps-and-solar-can-lower-your-energy-bill/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-12-13, 12:47

I just drive my car into a river because I don’t need it anymore
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-12-13, 13:01

I'm sure they'll put as much effort into making this a consumer benefit as they do desalination.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2022-12-13, 23:37

Trapper Gus wrote:

I've come to accept that viable fusion power is the end result of solving hundreds of thousands of difficult to solve but not impossible smaller problems, i.e. accounting for every variable in a sea of variables. It can and will be done. But announcements like these are nice and all as it sounds like a particularly larger variable is solved, but like before we are perpetually 10-20 years away from fusion power like we have been for 60+ years.

I like to read about it, it's hopeful. But let's be real, for now we should be moving towards renewables. The sooner the better.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-12-14, 09:00

Welcome to the swill all newly minted fusion experts.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-12-14, 09:39

steveschneider wrote:Welcome to the swill all newly minted fusion experts.

We know the basics.

Links were provided to articles quoting the experts.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down