Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan Movie/Should the U.S. have used the atomic bomb?

+20
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
Zurn
Spartytruth
aualum06
Death Roe
GRR Spartan
The Pantry
Rick Saunders
Wally Fairway
kingstonlake
Rocinante
Pervis Muldoon
Trapper Gus
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
Cameron
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan Movie/Should the U.S. have used the atomic bomb? - Page 4 Empty Re: Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan Movie/Should the U.S. have used the atomic bomb?

Post by Cameron 2023-07-22, 18:52

I look at it sort of like Mortal Kombat. When you've got the match in hand, you get the chance to do an epic, gruesome fatality and FINISH HIM! Or you can just keep doing the normal punch until his health bar is gone.

But, again, no minds will be changed.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan Movie/Should the U.S. have used the atomic bomb? - Page 4 Empty Re: Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan Movie/Should the U.S. have used the atomic bomb?

Post by kingstonlake 2023-07-22, 19:13

Has anyone seen the movie yet?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Cameron and Other Teams Pursuing That like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-07-22, 19:56

^^^ Has anyone seen The Dial of Destiny or Barbie?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-07-22, 20:01

The Pantry wrote:^^^ Has anyone seen The Dial of Destiny or Barbie?

I saw Dial of Destiny. It was really fun and nostalgic, no complaints.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-07-22, 20:57

I read American Prometheus and concluded Oppenheimer was a brilliant physicist who never thought he’d be recruited to develop nuclear weapons especially given his wife’s known political affiliations with the Communist Party.

So far as the use of the second bomb, Japan was given warning after the bomb on Hiroshima was used and did not respond. The official message to the Japanese people was they would fight invasion of the 4 major islands as they had defended Okinawa.

After the second bomb was dropped on secondary target Nagasaki (because weather interfered with original target Kokura) Japan flipped from defending their shores to surrender.

Anecdotal from my late-father-in-law who was a supply petty officer on Guam with a construction unit. According to him, the USN was building more air fields, expanding harbor facilities and preparing major staging areas for supplies and troops preparing for troops who would be part of a massive invasion of Japan’s major islands.

I also knew 2 retired USN Captains who were junior officers in the Pacific Theater after Pearl Harbor. They both said the potential loss of American military to conquer Japan by conventional means given Japan’s military leadership’s domestic promises to defend to death prompted the second bomb.

I do believe that there were also real concerns that Stalin would take advantage of a protracted Japanese invasion by Allied troops and move to at least take Hokkaido (Japan’s northern most island) like Stalin led USSR took the countries we called the Iron Curtain after WW2.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-07-22, 21:21

I think the US land invasion was targeted for Nov 4th?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-07-22, 23:31

kingstonlake wrote:I think the US land invasion was targeted for Nov 4th?

Germany surrendered May 8-9 1945.  

Battle of Okinawa began 1 April 1945 and ended 82 days later 22 June 1945.

The Pentagon knew the time and costs of Okinawa that included over 50,000 dead, 13 USN Destroyers sunk, 15 amphibious landing ships sunk, 153 tanks and 763 aircraft lost.  That for an island that was 41 sq miles with a population of between 550,000-600,000.

A November 4 invasion date makes a lot of sense when you consider there going to be a lot of troops, many of who would have been brought back from Europe, had maybe 2 weeks leave then put on troop ships to Guam.

They would have needed air and sea support and how many the US supply of ships and aircraft would be adequate to take Japan’s biggest island of Honshu that is 88,000 sq miles and had 3.5M people in 1945. (about 25% in Tokyo).  Add in needing more troops and support required to conquer the other 3 islands.

The US had been in WW2 since December 1941.  Truman, his domestic and military advisors had to calculate a worst case invasion scenario that based on Okinawa could have added several years of draft, war time spending.  Would the American people tolerate it compared to what they hoped two atomic bombs 3 days apart in August 1945 would and did accomplish.

It made for a lot of happy, relieved and grateful US military on Guam who were ramping up for a possible invasion they knew was being planned,
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus, kingstonlake and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2023-07-23, 20:07

tGreenWay wrote:I feel dirty reading this thread without any contributions from Death Roe. It’s as if we’re stepping out on him. I kinda like it, but then, I always live life on the edge.

I wondered how many posts it would take to mention me, Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan Movie/Should the U.S. have used the atomic bomb? - Page 4 502811600

Anyway this will win a SHIT TON of Oscars. Nolan is going to get one. I can feel it.

RDJ is going to win best supporting actor.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, DWags and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-07-23, 20:57

Death Roe wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I feel dirty reading this thread without any contributions from Death Roe. It’s as if we’re stepping out on him. I kinda like it, but then, I always live life on the edge.

I wondered how many posts it would take to mention me, Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan Movie/Should the U.S. have used the atomic bomb? - Page 4 502811600

Anyway this will win a SHIT TON of Oscars. Nolan is going to get one. I can feel it.

Welcome back, DR! Great seeing your name here.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2023-08-05, 19:52

Saw it today, thought it was excellent. However I feel that there were a bunch of people in the theatre that didn't realize what the movie was and got rude and restless
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

The Pantry and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-08-05, 20:05

tGreenWay wrote:
Death Roe wrote:

Welcome back, DR! Great seeing your name here.
Yeah, but wish he'd replace that avatar of his mom   affraid
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-08-05, 21:21

aualum06 wrote:Saw it today, thought it was excellent. However I feel that there were a bunch of people in the theatre that didn't realize what the movie was and got rude and restless

sounds like they should have went to barbie - which probably would have actually confused them as well?

i've seen it twice so far, amazing fucking flick. one of the best in a long long time IMO
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2023-08-05, 21:28

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Saw it today, thought it was excellent. However I feel that there were a bunch of people in the theatre that didn't realize what the movie was and got rude and restless

sounds like they should have went to barbie - which probably would have actually confused them as well?

i've seen it twice so far, amazing fucking flick. one of the best in a long long time IMO

I mean they for sure didn't know they were getting into a 3 hour brilliance that didn't need action
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-08-06, 11:35

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/08/06/atom-bomb-hiroshima-eyewitness-detroit/70500673007/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-08-06, 11:35

Oppenheimer is about the past.

Barbie is about the future.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

aualum06 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-08-07, 01:46

Trapper Gus wrote:Oppenheimer is about the past.

woah bro
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-08-07, 08:37

If it's about the future, it's probably loaded with climate change references.

I'd like to see Oppenheimer. Not sure I can sit still for 3 hours.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-08-07, 09:18

NigelUno wrote:

I loved it. I don’t think it’s possible to edit that down. I also think Groves was portrayed as being too kind and willing to acquiesce to Oppenheimer. I wish more had been done with that relationship. It had to be gas/matches between a scattered genius and a no nonsense ass kicker who built the pentagon and headed the Manhattan project for the war department.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartytruth 2023-08-07, 10:54

I saw Dial of Destiny - very good.

I was struck by how old Oppenheimer looked before he died. He was only 62.

As for the bomb...well...why build it if you are not going to use it?
Spartytruth
Spartytruth
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-08-07, 12:41

Spartytruth wrote:I saw Dial of Destiny - very good.

I was struck by how old Oppenheimer looked before he died.  He was only 62.

As for the bomb...well...why build it if you are not going to use it?
Put this guy down as for bombing because #yolo
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

aualum06 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-08-07, 13:16

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I loved it. I don’t think it’s possible to edit that down. I also think Groves was portrayed as being too kind and willing to acquiesce to Oppenheimer. I wish more had been done with that relationship. It had to be gas/matches between a scattered genius and a no nonsense ass kicker who built the pentagon and headed the Manhattan project for the war department.

Stories read say that Oppenheimer was a master baiter of other people and loved to manipulate them. Groves used that to get that "herd of cats" who worked on the "gadget" to work on it sometimes together and sometimes in competition.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-08-07, 13:20

Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan Movie/Should the U.S. have used the atomic bomb? - Page 4 50e
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-18, 22:45

Overrated.

Don’t @ me, bro.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2024-02-19, 08:45

DWags wrote:
I loved it.

NigelUno wrote:
Overrated

Which of these guys is the better movie reviewer?

Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-19, 09:27

Zurn wrote:
DWags wrote:
I loved it.

NigelUno wrote:
Overrated

Which of these guys is the better movie reviewer?

DWags. His review was more detailed.

I agree that more interaction with those 2 characters would have been great. As someone told me, the movie starts getting good when Matt Damon shows up.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-19, 09:43

NigelUno wrote:Overrated.

Don’t @ me, bro.

moron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-02-19, 11:21

NigelUno wrote:Overrated.

Don’t @ me, bro.

One man's overrated is another man's opportunity to Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan Movie/Should the U.S. have used the atomic bomb? - Page 4 3434560931 at Florence Pugh.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-19, 11:59

Watched it again. Still love it. That last line of the movie still gives me chills.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-19, 12:00

If you haven't seen it, I would recommend reading the book first.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-19, 12:06

NigelUno wrote:If you haven't seen it, I would recommend reading the book first.

fucking intellectuals.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-02-19, 12:11

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:If you haven't seen it, I would recommend reading the book first.

fucking pseudo intellectuals.

Fixed it.

Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-19, 15:06

Of the Oscar noms, it may be the best ive seen so far. (Maybe american fiction)... I still haven't seen 1 or 2 though. (Poor things and the nazi one)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-19, 15:28

I rarely watch movies, but this is a good song about falling in love inside a nuclear missile silo that's underground..

Then one night you found me in my army issue cot
And you told me of your flash of inspiration
You said fusion was the broken heart that's lonely's only thought
And all night long you drove me wild with your equations

(all honesty - the lyric video. If you have 4 mins, some damn fine songwriting).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-19, 16:00

Motown Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

fucking pseudo intellectuals.

Fixed it.

Exactly
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4