Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caitlin Clark

+24
DWags
steveschneider
NigelUno
AvgMSUJoe
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Robert J Sakimano
Trapper Gus
tGreenWay
Pervis Muldoon
Motown Spartan
GRR Spartan
Turtleneck
gomersbro
Nordic
aualum06
MSU addict
InTenSity
Bert Savoy
Travis of the Cosmos
The Pantry
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
Jake from State Farm
28 posters

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Caitlin Clark  - Page 9 Empty Re: Caitlin Clark

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2024-02-04, 20:42

I think Steph Curry paved the way for Clark. Basketball fans used to love highlight dunks, but over the past decade they have gotten more excited about great shooting - so Caitlin came along at the perfect time with the perfect skill set.

There's always been a racial component to the game, but it gets settled on the court. Caitlin will be fine.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-04, 20:49

Turtleneck wrote:I am sure there is a reason why the Iowa WBB social media people randomly tweeted this today.

[tw]1754292900937056571?s=46[/tw]

Maybe Swoopes is upset by what she perceives as racial bias, that previous black players were comparatively ignored. If true, I understand, but think it is a misperception. Even if that is entirely the case, Clark is not a mediocre player propped up for TV. She is an incredible talent who clearly works extraordinarily hard at her craft. She is the real deal.

I think Trapper is right, it is probably more jealousy than anything. However, Swoopes should be mad at the system, not Clark. Everything about college sports is monetized, including turning players into commodities not unlike professional sports. It was only a matter of time before they found a women’s CBB player with the kind of skillset, it is perfect that it is a versatile guard with unlimited range, to get people to watch and gamble on the sport. Not to mention, Swoopes played before social media and YouTube, so visibility and marketing the sport was much harder. A lot of great women players went without media attention because it was difficult to circulate their highlights and publicize them. Clark is just playing her best, working hard, and it is the system that is doing the rest.

Agree with this. Bottom line, don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Maryland just sold out their arena for a women’s game in line decades. Know who they wanted to see?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-02-04, 20:58

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I am sure there is a reason why the Iowa WBB social media people randomly tweeted this today.

Maybe Swoopes is upset by what she perceives as racial bias, that previous black players were comparatively ignored. If true, I understand, but think it is a misperception. Even if that is entirely the case, Clark is not a mediocre player propped up for TV. She is an incredible talent who clearly works extraordinarily hard at her craft. She is the real deal.

I think Trapper is right, it is probably more jealousy than anything. However, Swoopes should be mad at the system, not Clark. Everything about college sports is monetized, including turning players into commodities not unlike professional sports. It was only a matter of time before they found a women’s CBB player with the kind of skillset, it is perfect that it is a versatile guard with unlimited range, to get people to watch and gamble on the sport. Not to mention, Swoopes played before social media and YouTube, so visibility and marketing the sport was much harder. A lot of great women players went without media attention because it was difficult to circulate their highlights and publicize them. Clark is just playing her best, working hard, and it is the system that is doing the rest.

Agree with this. Bottom line, don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Maryland just sold out their arena for a women’s game in line decades. Know who they wanted to see?

A turtle mascot waiving the worst state flag in America?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-04, 21:13

hate seeing successful women tearing down other successful women.

Women had a hard enough time trying to navigate a world ruled by men. It's unfortunate to see Swoopes say these sorts of things.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-04, 23:35

duffy munn wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

I'm not the biggest Clark fan but Clark has played 15 or 16 less total games than Plum is you go investigating the comments
making the comments even worse. Reeks of Isiah saying if Bird was black he would just be another player.

Bingo
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-08, 21:05

The Caitlin Clarkeyes tipping off on BTN.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-08, 21:19

rough start for Caitlin
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2024-02-08, 21:49

Clark knows scoring is hard work and knows she’s the focus of all Iowa’s opponents all season.  There will be a game where she can’t will an Iowa game.

Swoope’s remarks were incorrect but she didn’t pull all her alleged facts out of her hat.  Sounded like she read  social media “facts” repeated so much she accepted them as truth and repeated them as such

Clark is 22 not 25 as Swoope’s stated 

Clark average shots per game in the ‘23-24 season is 22.3 and 19.7 per game for her career at Iowa.  (Swoopes took 24.9 per game in her 2 seasons at Texas Tech)

Clark isn’t taking a 5th season to break a record.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2024/02/05/sheryl-swoopes-caitlin-clark-womens-basketball-has-arrived/72484074007/
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-08, 22:05

GRR Spartan wrote:Clark knows scoring is hard work and knows she’s the focus of all Iowa’s opponents all season.  There will be a game where she can’t will an Iowa game.

Swoope’s remarks were incorrect but she didn’t pull all her alleged facts out of her hat.  Sounded like she read  social media “facts” repeated so much she accepted them as truth and repeated them as such

Clark average shots per game in the ‘23-24 season is 22.3 and 19.7 per game for her career at Iowa.  (Swoopes took 24.9 per game in her 2 seasons at Texas Tech)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2024/02/05/sheryl-swoopes-caitlin-clark-womens-basketball-has-arrived/72484074007/

It would be one thing if she was just a chucker who jacked up as many shots as possible. But she has a complete game and plays within the offense. Great passer and good rebounder. If she has one weakness it's turnovers but a bunch of those are really good passes that her teammates don't handle.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-02-08, 22:09

GRR Spartan wrote:Clark knows scoring is hard work and knows she’s the focus of all Iowa’s opponents all season.  There will be a game where she can’t will an Iowa game.

Do you ever read any other posts in a thread before posting?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-09, 08:07

Not a good shooting night but Caitlin still finished with 27 points, 15 assists and 5 rebounds
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-09, 08:50

so she'll get the women's record in the next 2 games (maybe the next one, but she's really gonna have to light it on fire). I believe I read, too, that she's now less than 200 points from Pete Mavarich's men's record.

I hope she comes back to Iowa next year. With the NIL money, I think there's a good chance. When she goes to the WNBA, she'll be an all-star, a top player - probably the top player - but it'll still pale in comparison to what she brings to the college game - the excitement, the packed arenas, the young girls wearing #22 jerseys, etc.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-02-09, 09:26

duffy munn wrote:Not a good shooting night but Caitlin still finished with 27 points, 15 assists and 5 rebounds

Should they bench her and give her minutes to a freshman?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-09, 09:34

Turtleneck wrote:
duffy munn wrote:Not a good shooting night but Caitlin still finished with 27 points, 15 assists and 5 rebounds

Kinda depends on the stars
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-09, 09:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:so she'll get the women's record in the next 2 games (maybe the next one, but she's really gonna have to light it on fire). I believe I read, too, that she's now less than 200 points from Pete Mavarich's men's record.

I hope she comes back to Iowa next year. With the NIL money, I think there's a good chance. When she goes to the WNBA, she'll be an all-star, a top player - probably the top player - but it'll still pale in comparison to what she brings to the college game - the excitement, the packed arenas, the young girls wearing #22 jerseys, etc.

Edit below

Last edited by duffy munn on 2024-02-09, 10:12; edited 1 time in total
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-09, 09:41

Robert J Sakimano wrote:so she'll get the women's record in the next 2 games (maybe the next one, but she's really gonna have to light it on fire). I believe I read, too, that she's now less than 200 points from Pete Mavarich's men's record.

If she breaks pistol Pete's record I'm not sure it will be legit because there was no three point line when he played. He also only played 3 years ( freshman were ineligible) and set the record in 83 games. That said, she plays a lot like him.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-09, 09:59

duffy munn wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Kinda depends on the stars

Caitlin Clark  - Page 9 502811600

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2024-02-09, 10:00

Turtleneck wrote:

Check with Sheryl Swoopes and then post the answer to your question.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-09, 10:02

She may have deferred (and passed more) last night so she can set the record at home next week. I think they have a road game with Nebraska next.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-09, 11:49

duffy munn wrote:

If she breaks pistol Pete's record I'm not sure it will be legit because there was no three point line when he played. He also only played 3 years ( freshman were ineligible) and set the record in 83 games. That said, she plays a lot like him.

This is where I agree with Cheryl Swoopes. There should be two records, and I’m sure there are.  One is points per game.  One is total points in a career   I’m sure they have records for points per season also  

Pete, Maravich, for any of you, who are old enough to remember him was unbelievable.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-09, 12:07

DWags wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

This is where I agree with Cheryl Swoopes. There should be two records, and I’m sure there are.  One is points per game.  One is total points in a career   I’m sure they have records for points per season also  

Pete, Maravich, for any of you, who are old enough to remember him was unbelievable.

He averaged 44 points a game without the 3 pointer. That's insane. He also made some of the most spectacular passes you will ever see. Magic like if not better. Incredible ball handler too. All of the youngsters here ( OPTP) you you tube the highlights. He was unbelievable
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano, tGreenWay, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-09, 16:41

DWags wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Yeah some records are skewed and others may become unbreakable. For instance, I doubt anybody ever breaks Lorenzo's record for career yards at MSU simple because they won't stay 4 years. Same with Shawn Respert in basketball.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-02-09, 16:54

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

He averaged 44 points a game without the 3 pointer. That's insane. He also made some of the most spectacular passes you will ever see. Magic like if not better. Incredible ball handler too. All of the youngsters here ( OPTP) you you tube the highlights. He was unbelievable

I don't know, OTPT thinks basketball greatness started with James Harden.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, duffy munn, DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-09, 17:33

#’s 14 13, and 10 are amazing. #6 is for you political hacks. He gives future New York Senator Bill Bradley the OL Okey Doke.

This mofo was magic before magic got to the NBA and he was Seth before Seth got there. Died way too soon.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-09, 20:00

Wags when I was a kid I wanted to play just like Pistol Pete. My coaches hated my for it. Especially in high school. " why do you have to try THAT pass?!"
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-09, 20:59

Looks like is old timer story time again

Caitlin Clark  - Page 9 2809484752
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-09, 21:01

duffy munn wrote:Wags when I was a kid I wanted to play just like Pistol Pete. My coaches hated my for it. Especially in high school. " why do you have to try THAT pass?!"

Those brother rice coaches hated everyone.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-09, 22:33

DWags wrote:
duffy munn wrote:Wags when I was a kid I wanted to play just like Pistol Pete. My coaches hated my for it. Especially in high school. " why do you have to try THAT pass?!"

Those brother rice coaches hated everyone.

At least I didn't play football where you had to get a crew cut. Right now I think Nordic might be googling crew cut.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-09, 23:27

Nordic wrote:Looks like is old timer story time again

Show some respect for your olders.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

duffy munn and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-09, 23:54

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:Looks like is old timer story time again

Youthfully challenged.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-10, 00:08

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Youthfully challenged.

Youth is wasted on the young
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, tGreenWay, DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-11, 15:02

Anyone watching this? Caitlyn 4th quarter has been shit.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-11, 15:14

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Anyone watching this? Caitlyn 4th quarter has been shit.
rough game for the Clarkeyes.

On the upside, she gets to break the record at home Thursday vs UM.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2024-02-11, 15:24

Losing is never good but I'm of the thought that losing is good sometimes for good teams to refocus and realize they aren't that good
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-11, 16:14

I wonder if she was thinking record at home? She scored 14 in the third and zero in the 4th.? 31 total.

8 away. The game will break television records I’m guessing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-11, 16:28

DWags wrote:I wonder if she was thinking record at home? She scored 14 in the third and zero in the 4th.? 31 total.

I think she got out of her game a little in the 4th (wanting to break the record at home).
Next game is on Peacock.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-12, 18:28

[tw]1757177292416008435?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-12, 18:56

Wha? Serious?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-12, 19:15

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:I wonder if she was thinking record at home? She scored 14 in the third and zero in the 4th.? 31 total.

I think she got out of her game a little in the 4th (wanting to break the record at home).
Next game is on Peacock.

So this was rigged for Peacock? Got it.

/s
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-12, 19:29

DWags wrote:[tw]1757177292416008435?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]

Detroit rags: Fans paying record prices for tickets to see UM women’s basketball team.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags, Turtleneck and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next