Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post your current weather status

+21
Jake from State Farm
DWags
duffy munn
Robert J Sakimano
Motown Spartan
The Pantry
GRR Spartan
Nordic
Floyd Robertson
Zurn
CaptainSlow33
AvgMSUJoe
Trapper Gus
NigelUno
MSU addict
Heat Miser
Rick Saunders
steveschneider
aualum06
Dendrobates
kingstonlake
25 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Post your current weather status - Page 8 Empty Re: Post your current weather status

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 14:31

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
DWags wrote:

I was just reading Ontonagon County only uses sand on their roads no salt. Interesting. Mostly because they don’t want run off into Superior not because of temps. You’re talking over 200 inches per.

My county back home briefly used sand on the country roads for a while. It did nothing to melt the snow and ice, but it gave decent traction, which made sliding a fairly rare occurrence. They stopped using it because the Amish and the old busy bodies complained that it was messy.

The business park where I work coats the road with a beet brine before each storm. Roads will get a bit slushy sometimes, but they have yet to freeze over in the time I've worked here. Something I can't say for other roads in the Metro Detroit region, where I'm convinced that road crews are trying to kill us.
leave it to the fuckin' Amish to fuck something up.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post your current weather status - Page 8 Empty Re: Post your current weather status

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 14:34

DWags wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Places like the UP & MN use either a sand calcium chloride mix or just sand.

NaCl stops working all that well below about 20 degrees F and stops completely at about 5 degrees F, CaCl is good to about 25 below zero F.  When it drops below that the snow isn't that slippery anyway as it needs to melt to be slippery and the sand adds some friction if it's needed.

One problem with sand though is it can get caught in the storm drains and plug them up.

It sounds like ontonagon does so because so many miles of road abut Superior. I imagine the temps also are part of the reasoning.

In the time I lived in St. Paul MN they used sand, mostly. The temperatures didn't get above zero F for a month or two.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 14:37

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
CaptainSlow33 wrote:

My county back home briefly used sand on the country roads for a while. It did nothing to melt the snow and ice, but it gave decent traction, which made sliding a fairly rare occurrence. They stopped using it because the Amish and the old busy bodies complained that it was messy.

The business park where I work coats the road with a beet brine before each storm. Roads will get a bit slushy sometimes, but they have yet to freeze over in the time I've worked here. Something I can't say for other roads in the Metro Detroit region, where I'm convinced that road crews are trying to kill us.
leave it to the fuckin' Amish to fuck something up.

Bruh...preach...

Sand is too messy for them, but their horses shitting everywhere is something that we're all supposed to just be cool with.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 15:43

Back home from dentist and it has started to snow
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 15:45

Trapper Gus wrote:Back home from dentist and it has started to snow

No snow in Farmington Hills just yet, but it's an absolute wall of blue to the south of us on the radar. Should be hitting just about any minute now.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 16:03

It's currently snowing harder on this website than it is outside my window. I thought this was supposed to be another death storm
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 16:38

It are snowing! Post your current weather status - Page 8 1550444538
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 16:39

Travis/tGreenway,

You bros good? I think it is important that us mid-Michiganders stay in contact in these times.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 16:58

Nordic wrote:Travis/tGreenway,

You bros good? I think it is important that us mid-Michiganders stay in contact in these times.

All good here in Bobville. You?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 17:01

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
DWags wrote:

I was just reading Ontonagon County only uses sand on their roads no salt. Interesting. Mostly because they don’t want run off into Superior not because of temps. You’re talking over 200 inches per.

Does the beet brine stain cars or make the roads look like Tiananmen Square after the tanks rolled through?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 17:02

tGreenWay wrote:

Oh shit. Forgot about Bob. No man left behind!

Sorry, I'm new here in this hood.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 17:03

Edit: It are sideways snowing Post your current weather status - Page 8 1550444538 Post your current weather status - Page 8 1550444538
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 17:04

Just got back from my walk.

It are snow.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 17:07

Looks like a mix of snow & rain outside my office window in the 586; it just started about 20 minutes ago. It's going to zero in on D Wags neighborhood next.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 17:19

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Oh shit. Forgot about Bob. No man left behind!

Sorry, I'm new here in this hood.
keep your head on a swivel, bro.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 17:39

Floyd Robertson wrote:Looks like a mix of snow & rain outside my office window in the 586; it just started about 20 minutes ago. It's going to zero in on D Wags neighborhood next.

RIP ta da Dwags.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 18:09

Sloppy shit out there. If parked outside, don't forget to flip your wipers up.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 18:24

NWS has adjusted downward the expected snow totals for our area. Instead of 5”-9”, it’s 4”-8”.
It’s disappointing. Now I know how Mrs. GreenWay feels.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 18:48

Blizzard Warning: Additional accumulations of 14-31” with 35-45 mph winds.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 18:58

BP down to 28.51
Snow falling I would estimate about 1 inch/hour.
Not that windy.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 19:38

Motown Spartan wrote: Blizzard Warning: Additional accumulations of 14-31” with 35-45 mph winds.

Picnic weather in the U.P.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 19:42

DWags wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote: Blizzard Warning: Additional accumulations of 14-31” with 35-45 mph winds.

Picnic weather in the U.P.

Might not need bug repellent with that kind of a breeze.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 19:50

👊

Alive and staying calm in these perilous times.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 20:12

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:

And ice. High winds will re-freeze mekted snow. Drive safe all, even if it doesn’t look that bad.

Remember the sand back to when I was a kid. Always thought it interesting all other places used salt. Some pretty steep streets in Houghton-Hancock. A bit counter intuitive, but the sand worked.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 20:16

Snow
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 20:17

Heard three subtle/weird bangs outside. The lights flickered after each. TV went off, then came back on. All seems to be good now.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 20:22

The Pantry wrote:Heard three subtle/weird bangs outside. The lights flickered after each. TV went off, then came back on. All seems to be good now.
Probably a tree branch falling on the power lines close by. The “breakers” in the distribution system will pop when there’s an arc, then pop right back on. If the condition continues, it will pop off again and then right back on. At that point, if the condition continues, it will pop off permanently.

This is why power flickers before it goes off children.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Trapper Gus and aualum06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 20:28

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Heard three subtle/weird bangs outside. The lights flickered after each. TV went off, then came back on. All seems to be good now.
Probably a tree branch falling on the power lines close by. The “breakers” in the distribution system will pop when there’s an arc, then pop right back on. If the condition continues, it will pop off again and then right back on. At that point, if the condition continues, it will pop off permanently.

This is why power flickers before it goes off children.

The "breakers" at the substation closest to the short/arcing shut off all the lines going out from the substation and then cycle through them to see which one has the short/arcing. That is why the lights cycle. If it was monetary or not on the line your house is on the the lights stay on. If your lights go dim but not off it is on your line.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 20:40

If he heads out, please grab a pic of that bearded wonder who surfs in crazy Superior weather. I always wanted an icicle beard like his.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 20:40

aualum06 wrote:Snow

Economy of words. Do like.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 20:46

tGreenWay wrote:

If he heads out, please grab a pic of that bearded wonder who surfs in crazy Superior weather. I always wanted an icicle beard like his.
Post your current weather status - Page 8 Img_2013

Surfer Dan!!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 20:47

That’s him. Post your current weather status - Page 8 502811600 I love it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 21:18

It’s blizzarding. Sounds like Lake Huron is about to come through the front door.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 21:20

Welp. Michigan is gone.

Post your current weather status - Page 8 Img_7011
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 21:22

How late is too late to snowblow on a night like tonight? I’d like to do it once before I go to bed so there isn’t too much for the blower in the morning and I don’t get stuck having to shovel it, but I don’t want to anger my neighbors if I do it at, say, 9-10
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 21:24

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:How late is too late to snowblow on a night like tonight? I’d like to do it once before I go to bed so there isn’t too much for the blower in the morning and I don’t get stuck having to shovel it, but I don’t want to anger my neighbors if I do it at, say, 9-10

Easily until midnight.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 21:27

Motown Spartan wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:How late is too late to snowblow on a night like tonight? I’d like to do it once before I go to bed so there isn’t too much for the blower in the morning and I don’t get stuck having to shovel it, but I don’t want to anger my neighbors if I do it at, say, 9-10

Easily until midnight.

You get a pass tonight, all night.

How many of your next-door neighbors work on Saturday anyway?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 21:42

Lights are flickering
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 21:44

Post your current weather status - Page 8 Img_2014
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri 12 Jan 2024 - 21:47

Supposedly 20ft waves. Going to go to the harbor tomorrow and see if I can take a video.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next