Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Thread - February 13th..

+6
DWags
tGreenWay
The Pantry
GRR Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
Floyd Robertson
10 posters

Go down

New Thread - February 13th..  Empty New Thread - February 13th..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-13, 08:04

didn't want to bump the old one. While there is a lot of valuable information and wonderful displays of compassion, empathy and love in it, the first 8-9 pages of "real time" reporting from that night is quite triggering for a lot of folks. It certainly is for me.

instead, while there is great value in honoring the lives tragically lost and permanently impacted by the events of February 13th, 2023 and days following, let's celebrate our amazing university. The place we grew up (some more than others Wink  ), the place we matured (some more than others Wink  ), that special place that has risen from its humble beginnings as the Agricultural College of the State of Michigan.

That place we go back to, the place we show our children, our grandchildren. The place where we high five and hug strangers after a big play on Saturdays in the fall. The place responsible for the random "Go Green" in airports, cities around America and, indeed, the world, as we wear our Spartan gear.

when all is said and done, when our time is winding down - nobody gets out of here alive - all we have left are the people we love and who have loved us, the places that left indelible marks on us and the deep memories that are stitched into our DNA. Michigan State University is a fundamental thread that weaves though each of those beautiful elements for every single one of us.

So, on this day and all others.. Go Green and remember that Arielle, Alexandria and Brian are Forever Spartans.

New Thread - February 13th..  El312
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry, InTenSity, tGreenWay, duffy munn, y2kMgrad, DWags and like this post

Back to top Go down

New Thread - February 13th..  Empty Re: New Thread - February 13th..

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-13, 08:34

Saw this article and was just not going to post it, however Bob's thread started should be addressed.

A growing body of research has connected mass shootings to heightened anxiety among students, even those who haven’t been directly impacted, as well as major depression, anxiety disorders and substance use disorders, according to the American Psychological Association.

Even for those who believe the feeling is, at least for them, in the rearview mirror, the one-year mark may disrupt sleep or appetite, said Dr. Alyse Folino Ley, associate chair of education and research at MSU’s psychiatry department.

“It’s an unwanted, intrusive, abnormal memory that's laid down at the height of a tragedy,” Folino Ley said. “That has to do with the way our brains work, feedback systems in the brain, and being in that fight-or-flight response.”

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-health-watch/msu-shooting-one-year-later-what-science-says-about-trauma-and-healing

edit - also this one - which is very political, but I will not apologize for it supporting stricter gun regulation and it's pointing out the Republicans do not support that.

https://michiganadvance.com/2024/02/13/susan-j-demas-cynicism-didnt-win-after-the-msu-shooting/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-13, 09:12

[ig]C3SiwKtuLql[/ig]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano, The Pantry, tGreenWay, DWags, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-13, 09:56

It’s on days like this, I just wonder how much pain those kids parents are in. I hope they are with people they love, and are being cared for today and every day. I can’t imagine what they are going through.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, The Pantry, tGreenWay, duffy munn, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-13, 10:02

DWags wrote:It’s on days like this, I just wonder how much pain those kids parents are in. I hope they are with people they love, and are being cared for today and every day. I can’t imagine what they are going through.

Losing a kid is my greatest fear... losing a kid like that would break me. Seriously.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Robert J Sakimano, The Pantry, tGreenWay, DWags, Trapper Gus and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2024-02-13, 11:47

A year ago today Swillers were posting pretty much the same inconsequential bs we always do and that evening well armed evil walked on campus intent on killing people.

I am still angry that the individual with his documented problems and criminal record was allowed to purchase a gun.  Angry that Lansing Police couldn’t at least remove weapon(s) from his home when neighbors complained about his shooting in his backyard.

There are still measures MSU can do including installing new locks, new more secure doors and more cctv surveillance.

The only reason MI has addressed its gun laws is because MI Democrats won majorities in both legislative branches and held the governor’s office on Feb 13 2023.

In 1959 (before many posters were born) 60% of Americans favored prohibiting handgun sales to civilians.  Since then, the GOP partnered with the NRA as the party of gun rights and now just 27% of Americans agree with 1959’s 60%.  The GOP solution to gun violence has been more guns for at least 40 years.  

Remember that every 2/13 anniversary and at the ballot box.  Otherwise it’s just Thoughts and prayers blather.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-13, 16:41

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
DWags wrote:It’s on days like this, I just wonder how much pain those kids parents are in. I hope they are with people they love, and are being cared for today and every day. I can’t imagine what they are going through.

Losing a kid is my greatest fear... losing a kid like that would break me. Seriously.
Lost my niece 10 years ago to a drugged-up idiot on the road. Sis and BIL haven't been the same since.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-13, 17:04

The Pantry wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Lost my niece 10 years ago to a drugged-up idiot on the road. Sis and BIL haven't been the same since.

Very sorry Pantry. That sucks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-13, 17:53

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Lost my niece 10 years ago to a drugged-up idiot on the road. Sis and BIL haven't been the same since.

Very sorry Pantry. That sucks.
The really sad thing is the asshole is up for his first parole hearing in a year or so.

Niece had everthing going for her. Couple months away from graduating from Duke. Had interned at Google a couple summers and already had a job lined up with them.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-13, 18:04

Had planned to take the dog to campus today to wander and ponder and let anyone interested get some time with the pooch. Woke up this morning and had sort of changed my mind. Then I read the same article Trapper posted and changed my mind again.
It was pretty quiet for the first hour, except for the pup, who was having a blast. Not a lot of foot or vehicle traffic, several smiles from those few we did pass. One guy had a fixed, lost stare and looked like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. I wish he had looked our way, but no such luck.
The last half hour we came upon tons of students who wanted to chat and play with the dog. I didn’t go up to people because I wasn’t going to impose on them, they came to us or we smiled and exchanged niceties as we approached each other, prompting us to stop. I’d taken treats and let
anyone who wanted give some to the furry one. Those who stopped seemed to enjoy the moment. I think it helped, however brief. I hope it did.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano, InTenSity, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-13, 18:05

btw, I walked around the outside of Berkey and the Union because fuck that guy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano, The Pantry, DWags, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-13, 18:08

tGreenWay wrote:Had planned to take the dog to campus today to wander and ponder and let anyone interested get some time with the pooch. Woke up this morning and had sort of changed my mind. Then I read the same article Trapper posted and changed my mind again.
It was pretty quiet for the first hour, except for the pup, who was having a blast. Not a lot of foot or vehicle traffic, several smiles from those few we did pass. One guy had a fixed, lost stare and looked like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. I wish he had looked our way, but no such luck.
The last half hour we came upon tons of students who wanted to chat and play with the dog. I didn’t go up to people because I wasn’t going to impose on them, they came to us or we smiled and exchanged niceties as we approached each other, prompting us to stop. I’d taken treats and let
anyone who wanted give some to the furry one. Those who stopped seemed to enjoy the moment. I think it helped, however brief. I hope it did.

Very cool. Thanks for doing that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-13, 21:52

Didn't see this thread. Deleted from the other thread.

New Thread - February 13th..  2024-020
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano, The Pantry, tGreenWay, duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2024-02-13, 22:54

Is that from tonight? Stupid question but I'm no where near E. Lansing.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-13, 23:00

InTenSity wrote:Is that from tonight? Stupid question but I'm no where near E. Lansing.

Yes
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-14, 05:47

The Pantry wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

sorry to hear that, man.

my brother died in a car accident in 1990. He was 21.

Mom lived another 22 years, Dad another 28 years and they were never the same. His room remained virtually untouched up until the day I cleaned out their house, before i sold it. His clothes were still hanging in the closet, folded in drawers.

I dug through his wallet, found a $20 bill and smiled. Gave it to our daughter, who he never got to meet, and told her it was from her uncle. She still has it.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry, tGreenWay, duffy munn, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-14, 07:47

It is doubly hard when someone at the beginning of their adult life passes.

Best wishes.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, The Pantry, tGreenWay, DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-14, 08:27

https://www.mlive.com/news/2024/02/on-anniversary-of-mass-shooting-msu-ponders-how-to-memorialize-night-of-terror.html

One year after the shooting, the Michigan State community is still recovering from the pain and heartbreak of that night. Part of the process is determining how to create an official memorial, a place where the campus community might come to grieve or remember.

Made me wonder if there are memorials to the MSU students who died in the wars on campus?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-14, 08:32

Trapper Gus wrote:https://www.mlive.com/news/2024/02/on-anniversary-of-mass-shooting-msu-ponders-how-to-memorialize-night-of-terror.html

One year after the shooting, the Michigan State community is still recovering from the pain and heartbreak of that night. Part of the process is determining how to create an official memorial, a place where the campus community might come to grieve or remember.

Made me wonder if there are memorials to the MSU students who died in the wars on campus?
I feel like there are such memorials somewhere on campus. Obviously, they're not prominent (or else we'd likely know about them), but it does seem as though I've stopped to read a plaque or something placed at the foot of a tree.

not sure though.. I'm not sure of a lot of things these days.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down