Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F'ing BS if we have to play at 1230 EST on NYE

+13
tig ol bitties
Herbie Green
Cym Jim
MiamiSpartan
NigelUno
The_Dude
Code_Warrior
Watch Out Pylon!
Rocinante
InTenSity
Heat Miser
Robert J Sakimano
beal99
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

F'ing BS if we have to play at 1230 EST on NYE - Page 2 Empty Re: F'ing BS if we have to play at 1230 EST on NYE

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-01, 13:48

Payouts

Orange - $18 mil
Fiesta - $18 mil
Cotton - $3.625 mil
Peach - $6.9 mil

Why is the Orange Bowl, if it is a matchup of #2 teams, getting so much payout?

I pulled the numbers from this Site.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

F'ing BS if we have to play at 1230 EST on NYE - Page 2 Empty Re: F'ing BS if we have to play at 1230 EST on NYE

Post by Cym Jim 2014-12-01, 13:50

Heat Miser wrote:

What makes you think those bowls are "lesser"? They're all "BCS" bowls. Here are the payouts from another RCMB thread:

Cotton Bowl  $22,000,000
Fiesta Bowl  $17,000,000
Orange Bowl $17,000,000
Peach Bowl  $23,000,000
Sugar Bowl   $17,000,000
Rose Bowl  $17,000,000
Did you paste that, or type all those zeros?
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-01, 13:52

Heat Miser wrote:

What makes you think those bowls are "lesser"? They're all "BCS" bowls. Here are the payouts from another RCMB thread:

Cotton Bowl $22,000,000
Fiesta Bowl $17,000,000
Orange Bowl $17,000,000
Peach Bowl $23,000,000
Sugar Bowl $17,000,000
Rose Bowl $17,000,000

Hmmm.

Well, at least with the Orange you get to play a divisional winner of a P5 conference and possibly the ACC champ if GT wins.

OSU could get stuck vs Boise in the Fiesta if they don't get the Peach or Cotton.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-12-01, 14:23

So it sounds to me like Mich St will be in the Orange bowl playing GTech only if ranked ahead of Miss State (and assuming Bama doesn't lose to Missouri and that MSU will be ranked ahead of the BTCG loser).
Despite the other polls I think Miss State might be ranked higher - slightly better overall resume in committee's eyes vs overreaction to last game of pollsters.
And I would be fine with that because beating ACC doesn't seem as exciting to me as the other potential matchups (as long as it isn't Boise)
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-01, 14:25

Herbie Green wrote:So it sounds to me like Mich St will be in the Orange bowl playing GTech only if ranked ahead of Miss State (and assuming Bama doesn't lose to Missouri and that MSU will be ranked ahead of the BTCG loser).
Despite the other polls I think Miss State might be ranked higher - slightly better overall resume in committee's eyes vs overreaction to last game of pollsters.
And I would be fine with that because beating ACC doesn't seem as exciting to me as the other potential matchups (as long as it isn't Boise)

Orange Bowl is great because of the pageantry and calling yourselves Orange Bowl champs. Id take the Orange Bowl over any other bowl game not named the Rose. Even if it means beating GT and not an SEC school.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-01, 14:26

whichever bowl we go to will easily be the most prestigious bowl there is. It's just that simple.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tig ol bitties 2014-12-01, 14:28

non-playoff game = who cares when it is.
tig ol bitties
tig ol bitties
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-12-01, 14:31

tig ol bitties wrote:non-playoff game = who cares when it is.

Rose Bowl last year meant nothing either. (not the NC game) Didn't even watch it. Season ended at ND in September.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-12-01, 14:49

The_Dude wrote:

Orange Bowl is great because of the pageantry and calling yourselves Orange Bowl champs. Id take the Orange Bowl over any other bowl game not named the Rose. Even if it means beating GT and not an SEC school.
With the Playoff/Rose Bowl not possible, I would love nothing more than MSU playing in the Orange Bowl for purely selfish reasons. But this isn't 1985. There is no pageantry or prestige of the Orange Bowl over the Fiesta or Sugar (and only over the Peach and Cotton because of carry over from being part of the BCS). Prestige? Their tie ins to the Big East and ACC have led to so many shitty match ups in the last 10-15 years that in most years it was the joke game of the BCS. Pageantry? They used to have a parade, but got rid of it because no one gave a shit anymore. They used to be known for a big half time production, but no one gives a shit about that now either, and it's become little more than a B-level music artist and a couple of lasers/fireworks. Add in the sterile environment of Sun Life Stadium and the pageantry has long since been dead.

It's a great bowl, no doubt, but there is nothing to put it ahead of the Sugar or Fiesta, and only memories of the BCS system to put it ahead of the Peach or Cotton.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-12-01, 14:55

The_Dude wrote:

Yeah it sounds good but I agree the Orange Bowl has lost a lot of luster in recent years. Although if GTech actually beats FSU it will make it much more compelling.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-01, 14:59

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Pageantry?  They used to have a parade, but got rid of it because no one gave a shit anymore.  They used to be known for a big half time production, but no one gives a shit about that now either, and it's become little more than a B-level music artist and a couple of lasers/fireworks.  Add in the sterile environment of Sun Life Stadium and the pageantry has long since been dead.

It's a great bowl, no doubt, but there is nothing to put it ahead of the Sugar or Fiesta, and only memories of the BCS system to put it ahead of the Peach or Cotton.
I'd just like to add that I went to the Orange Bowl parade last year. Apparently it was yesterday. Who knew? :shrug:

Jr. Orange Bowl Parade site
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-12-01, 15:00

beal99 wrote:Fuck that noise. Most normal adults actually WORK a half to full day on NYE, this game would start at 1130 Chicago time. No one would watch this unless you take a vacation day here in town or you have a super nice boss. If we have to play 830, GIVE US THE 830 EYEBALL GAME

Are you basing this on one dude's week too early projections?!?
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-01, 15:08

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

With the Playoff/Rose Bowl not possible, I would love nothing more than MSU playing in the Orange Bowl for purely selfish reasons. But this isn't 1985. There is no pageantry or prestige of the Orange Bowl over the Fiesta or Sugar (and only over the Peach and Cotton because of carry over from being part of the BCS). Prestige? Their tie ins to the Big East and ACC have led to so many shitty match ups in the last 10-15 years that in most years it was the joke game of the BCS. Pageantry? They used to have a parade, but got rid of it because no one gave a shit anymore. They used to be known for a big half time production, but no one gives a shit about that now either, and it's become little more than a B-level music artist and a couple of lasers/fireworks. Add in the sterile environment of Sun Life Stadium and the pageantry has long since been dead.

As a fan destination for NYE, I'd take Miami over ATL/Glendale/Dallas every time...and not just for selfish reasons.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-01, 15:16

InTenSity wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Pageantry?  They used to have a parade, but got rid of it because no one gave a shit anymore.  They used to be known for a big half time production, but no one gives a shit about that now either, and it's become little more than a B-level music artist and a couple of lasers/fireworks.  Add in the sterile environment of Sun Life Stadium and the pageantry has long since been dead.

I'd just like to add that I went to the Orange Bowl parade last year. Apparently it was yesterday. Who knew? :shrug:

When the game was played on NYD a parade made sense. Not so much on NYE or after NYD.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by tig ol bitties 2014-12-01, 15:19

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Rose Bowl last year meant nothing either. (not the NC game) Didn't even watch it. Season ended at ND in September.

different seasons. different expectations. rose bowl was great. this year should have been a playoff year.
tig ol bitties
tig ol bitties
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-12-01, 15:26

Okay, I see on RCMB some guy keeps saying that we're almost a lock for the Orange Bowl. Does anyone have any idea or link where he got that from, or is he just talking out of his ass?

Also, I would love the Orange Bowl because of the name. It's not the Rose, but just about every bowl besides the Rose lost a lot of luster over the BCS era. Going to the Orange Bowl and possibly beating GT/FSU would be awesome, and both I think would be winnable games for MSU.

Also, us making the Orange would eliminate the B1G's tie-in to the Citrus Bowl this year. That would probably make the bowl lineup for the conference look a whole lot more manageable, and give the conference a reasonable shot to look good going into the 2015 season, which could really help us out in a potential playoff run.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-12-01, 15:35

InTenSity wrote:

That's not the same parade. That's the Junior Orange Bowl parade, part of the Junior Orange Bowl organization, which I don't think is even directly affiliated with the Orange Bowl.

This is the Orange Bowl Parade that was tied to the game (copied from Wikipedia):

King Orange Jamboree Parade

From 1936 to 2001, the Orange Bowl Committee also sponsored a parade. In its heyday, the parade was a nighttime New Year's Eve tradition, televised nationally with lighted floats and displays going down part of Biscayne Boulevard in downtown Miami, FL. However ratings dropped and the national television contract was lost in 1997, causing the parade to quickly become a shell of its former self since there were no sponsors for the elaborate floats. As a result the committee chose to bring this tradition to an end in early 2002.[11]

The very first King Orange Jamboree Parade was held the day before the 1936 game with 30 floats at an expense of $40,000 ($653,933 in 2012 dollars[12]).[13] Babs Beckwith was chosen as the first Orange Bowl queen.[13][14]
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-01, 15:36

SpartanHT wrote:Okay, I see on RCMB some guy keeps saying that we're almost a lock for the Orange Bowl. Does anyone have any idea or link where he got that from, or is he just talking out of his ass?

Also, I would love the Orange Bowl because of the name. It's not the Rose, but just about every bowl besides the Rose lost a lot of luster over the BCS era. Going to the Orange Bowl and possibly beating GT/FSU would be awesome, and both I think would be winnable games for MSU.

Also, us making the Orange would eliminate the B1G's tie-in to the Citrus Bowl this year. That would probably make the bowl lineup for the conference look a whole lot more manageable, and give the conference a reasonable shot to look good going into the 2015 season, which could really help us out in a potential playoff run.

The Orange Bowl must take the highest ranked B1G/SEC non-champion. Assuming the other MSU falls behind us tomorrow night, that team is Michigan State.

'Bama losing tSECCG is just about the only thing that could screw that up because, assuming they then fell out of the playoffs, they would likely be the highest ranked B1G/SEC non-champion.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-01, 15:39

I'm not afraid of anyone. Any time, anywhere.. any bowl.

and I'm not even interested in the parade.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-12-01, 16:04

Heat Miser wrote:

The Orange Bowl must take the highest ranked B1G/SEC non-champion. Assuming the other MSU falls behind us tomorrow night, that team is Michigan State.

'Bama losing tSECCG is just about the only thing that could screw that up because, assuming they then fell out of the playoffs, they would likely be the highest ranked B1G/SEC non-champion.
I am just wondering where this confidence in us going to the Orange Bowl comes from. The committee hasn't been completely in line with the polls, and seems to give more weight to playing in the SEC compared to the B1G.

I think there's a very real shot of Mississippi State being ranked ahead of us tomorrow at something like 7th with us being at 9th.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-12-01, 16:19

SpartanHT wrote:
I am just wondering where this confidence in us going to the Orange Bowl comes from. The committee hasn't been completely in line with the polls, and seems to give more weight to playing in the SEC compared to the B1G.

I think there's a very real shot of Mississippi State being ranked ahead of us tomorrow at something like 7th with us being at 9th.
I agree with that. They seemed to give Miss State more credit than the polls were giving them, so I'm feeling it's 50/50. What works in our favor, however, is that they have lost 2 of their last 3, and their wins that propelled them to the spotlight (LSU, TAMU, and Auburn) were against teams that all now have 4 or more losses. However, if they see those 4-5 loss teams as the SEC is so awesome that they cannibalize each other, then that works against us.

Also, other than Bama losing, the other thing that could knock us out of the Orange Bowl would be OSU losing to Wiscy and still being ranked ahead of us. With Barrett, a case could be made for them to be ranked ahead of us if they lose, and it could partially depend on how the committee handles a team with such a key player injured.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-01, 16:22

SpartanHT wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I really don't think the other MSU is going to be the top ranked 2 loss team. All of their "quality wins" (Auburn, A&M, LSU) are now looking pretty average and they just lost to an 8-3 team that got shutout last week at Arkansas. The teams we lost to are a combined 22-2. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

For all the SEC BS we've heard all year, they will barely get 2 teams into the Big 6 bowls and are a 'Bama loss away from zero teams in the playoff. F'ing BS if we have to play at 1230 EST on NYE - Page 2 1494614055

Last edited by Heat Miser on 2014-12-01, 16:26; edited 1 time in total
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-01, 16:26

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Also, other than Bama losing, the other thing that could knock us out of the Orange Bowl would be OSU losing to Wiscy and still being ranked ahead of us. With Barrett, a case could be made for them to be ranked ahead of us if they lose, and it could partially depend on how the committee handles a team with such a key player injured.

No chance IMHO.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-01, 16:28

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Good point. The Orange Bowl has been terrible for years.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-01, 16:33

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Good point. The Orange Bowl has been terrible for years.

We're gonna change that.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-01, 16:35

Heat Miser wrote:

We're gonna change that.
We can have the first Swill tailgate.  cheers
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-01, 16:36

InTenSity wrote:
We can have the first Swill tailgate.  cheers

You'll have to check with dendro.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-01, 16:37

Heat Miser wrote:

We're gonna change that.

Would be fun to play FSU in the Orange Bowl. Other than that chant gets annoying after awhile.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-12-01, 16:45

Heat Miser wrote:

I really don't think the other MSU is going to be the top ranked 2 loss team. All of their "quality wins" (Auburn, A&M, LSU) are now looking pretty average and they just lost to an 8-3 team that got shutout last week at Arkansas. The teams we lost to are a combined 22-2. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

For all the SEC BS we've heard all year, they will barely get 2 teams into the Big 6 bowls and are a 'Bama loss away from zero teams in the playoff. F'ing BS if we have to play at 1230 EST on NYE - Page 2 1494614055

Looking at it in total - Miss State lost to Bama and Miss. MSU lost to Oregon and OSU. Slight edge to MSU.

Miss State beat Auburn and LSU. MSU beat Nebraska. I think that is it for ranked teams and all are 20-25 so slight edge to Miss St.

Almost a dead heat, but I think MSU might just get one spot ahead. Now what if OSU gets smoked by UW? Could they possibly then flip it the next week?
Have to think the Barrett thing gives MSU credit to losing to that team, while his absence would also put MSU ahead of OSU (even though it doesn't seem quite fair).
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-12-01, 16:58

Heat Miser wrote:

We'll see if the committee places an emphasis on whether or not a team was ranked when they played them. If they do, that's trouble for us. I agree we're the best two-loss team, though.

I sure hope we're ranked higher than them. I would LOVE an Orange Bowl bid and it'd be a nice reward for this season.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-12-01, 17:15

Herbie Green wrote:

Looking at it in total - Miss State lost to Bama and Miss.  MSU lost to Oregon and OSU.  Slight edge to MSU.

Miss State beat Auburn and LSU.  MSU beat Nebraska.  I think that is it for ranked teams and all are 20-25 so slight edge to Miss St.

Almost a dead heat, but I think MSU might just get one spot ahead.  Now what if OSU gets smoked by UW?  Could they possibly then flip it the next week?
Have to think the Barrett thing gives MSU credit to losing to that team, while his absence would also put MSU ahead of OSU (even though it doesn't seem quite fair).
We have the best two losses of any team in the country...problem is, we don't really have a good win. Nebraska ending the season the way they did really hurt us. We did blow out just about everyone we beat, though. Hopefully that helps.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-01, 17:50

Combined record of conference opponents:

MSU: 52 - 44
The other MSU: 57 - 39

We played @ Oregon OOC (and our FCS "cupcake" is now 10-1). They played nobody.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-12-01, 18:19

Heat Miser wrote:Combined record of conference opponents:

That doesn't look very good for us. Dammit, now I'm feeling more pessimistic about the Orange Bowl than before!
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-01, 18:30

SpartanHT wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:Combined record of conference opponents:

That doesn't look very good for us. Dammit, now I'm feeling more pessimistic about the Orange Bowl than before!

A 5 game difference plus Oregon "doesn't look very good for us"? F'ing BS if we have to play at 1230 EST on NYE - Page 2 502811600
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-12-01, 18:32

Heat Miser wrote:

A 5 game difference plus Oregon "doesn't look very good for us"? F'ing BS if we have to play at 1230 EST on NYE - Page 2 502811600

I don't trust the committee. That's my big issue. I also am a chicken little fan, lol.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-12-01, 18:56

1230 GAMES ON NYE HURT RECRUITING

-MSU DOOM AND GLOOMERS
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-02, 20:03

Bump
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-02, 20:30

I'll be going to the game.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 2014-12-03, 10:07

You work on NYE? You in retail?
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-03, 14:32

Whoever scheduled these times for the new premier bowl games are a fucking retard.

Also, people who say we are a lock to go to Miami...we are far from it. Too many scenarios can still play out most notably if Bama or OSU lose. our destination will be up in the air.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next