Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone get this Amber Alert on their phone?

+23
AMwood
Robert J Sakimano
Cym Jim
StylesGShmooth
The_Dude
Turtleneck
xsanguine
GRR Spartan
Travis of the Cosmos
Bizarro Fletch
WhiteBoyHatcher
Green Note
Code_Warrior
kingstonlake
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
Gomer
SpartanInNH
Jake from State Farm
Snake Plissken
The Pantry
SeeRockCity
Marc Summers
27 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anyone get this Amber Alert on their phone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone get this Amber Alert on their phone?

Post by kingstonlake Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:21 pm

Would You like tornado warning sirens schedules to fit your sleep schedule like amber alerts, nucky?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Anyone get this Amber Alert on their phone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone get this Amber Alert on their phone?

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Amber Alert Jars Southeast Michigan Residents Awake

Michigan State Police are defending a first-of-its-kind Amber Alert issued about 5 a.m. Saturday for a 6-year-old believed to have been abducted by her father.

Michigan State Police Lt. David Kaiser told The Flint Journal/MLive.com that he heard “ rumblings that people were upset” about being awoken by the jarring alert tones, but said officials must act quickly in missing child cases.

Apparently Lt. Kaiser has been reading Marc Summers' comments here.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:25 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Amber Alert Jars Southeast Michigan Residents Awake

Michigan State Police are defending a first-of-its-kind Amber Alert issued about 5 a.m. Saturday for a 6-year-old believed to have been abducted by her father.

Michigan State Police Lt. David Kaiser told The Flint Journal/MLive.com that he heard “ rumblings that people were upset” about being awoken by the jarring alert tones, but said officials must act quickly in missing child cases.

I'm glad they got the message. There's absolutely no reason to send that out in a 200 mile radius. Like zero reason. Classic overreaction by some simpletons.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:01 pm

Marc Summers wrote:

I'm glad they got the message. There's absolutely no reason to send that out in a 200 mile radius. Like zero reason. Classic overreaction by some simpletons.

Yup. Can't think of a single reason.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:07 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
Marc Summers wrote:

Yup. Can't think of a single reason.

Anyone get this Amber Alert on their phone? - Page 2 502811600
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Marc Summers wrote:

I have no problem with sending it out. The timing of it is pretty standard police stupidity. Think about it. I got that message at 5 am, woke and said wtf then closed the notification. I barely even remembered it happened the next morning. If they had waited until a time when most people are awake, it would have gotten way more eyeballs instead of people just immediately dissmissing it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Marc Summers wrote:

I have no problem with sending it out. The timing of it is pretty standard police stupidity. Think about it. I got that message at 5 am, woke and said wtf then closed the notification. I barely even remembered it happened the next morning. If they had waited until a time when most people are awake, it would have gotten way more eyeballs instead of people just immediately dissmissing it.

I decided no to work Saturday. I usually leave about 5:45. Putting me right in the wheel house of travel time on I-69 if he was heading to Port Huron. I certainly would have be aware of Ford pick ups because of the alert.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:42 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I decided no to work Saturday. I usually leave about 5:45. Putting me right in the wheel house of travel time on I-69 if he was heading to Port Huron. I certainly would have be aware of Ford pick ups because of the alert.
Fair enough. I guess people that were just going to wake up and drink coffee weren't really the people they were looking for anyway.

Though, at the same time, using the electronic billboards like they also did would have been just as effective for that purpose.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:05 pm

Got my first iPhone less than a year ago and didn't even realize there was an amber alert setting on the phone until 5:00 AM Saturday.

I thought I was having a dream about tornados or a nuclear attack when it went off.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:45 pm

Man.... I hate to appear insensitive but receiving that kind of alert that early on a Saturday morning would certainly push me to turning off those alerts. The reason those alerts aren't active on my devices is because something similar occurred a year or so ago. I'd like to help if I could but...

I'm glad the youngster was found and is safe. I like the idea of an AMBER alert system... but being in NYC (I see several hundred faces I've never seen before in my life, every single day) coupled wiith the fact I tend not to be very observant of the people around me as a result of being in NYC... chances are extremely slim I'd be the hero of the day, anwyays.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:48 pm

You guys are such pussies. lol. Oh noes, I woke up at 5:30 AM and had to fight with myself to go back to sleep!
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:49 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:You guys are such pussies. lol. Oh noes, I woke up at 5:30 AM and had to fight with myself to go back to sleep!

Why does that make them pussies?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:56 pm

xsanguine wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:You guys are such pussies. lol. Oh noes, I woke up at 5:30 AM and had to fight with myself to go back to sleep!

Because non-pussies either go to bed at 530am or get up at 530am.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:01 pm

Kind of funny because I've had an insomnia issue for years. Alert woke me up at 5:19, I read the message, and then fell back to sleep in what had to be less than 10 seconds.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Weird. Being woken up unexpectedly seems to be something that most people complain about when it happens.

No one is as tough and manly as WBH, though.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:23 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Weird. Being woken up unexpectedly seems to be something that most people complain about when it happens.

People complain too much these days. Spoiled first worlders.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:25 pm

No, sorry. I mean everyone is in a different stage of their life and makes different life choices. I have 2 kids 5 and under and neither is a great sleeper. In addition, I have a 125 lb Senior dog who has health issues. Waking up at 5:30 on any given night is par for the course, and I manage to get through my day just fine. And that's because I'm a pussy myself, and my wife handles the majority of the night time disturbances. And still goes to work on time in the morning and is on her toes all day.

Just funny to me that a single person would complain about the inconvenience of being temporarily awaken for 30 seconds at 5 AM. Oh the horror! You might miss your 11 AM appointment at the 'I am a selfish motherfucker who lives only for myself' salon.

That's cool man. I'm not trying to rip you all for your lifestyle. I miss those days. And I certainly don't want dudes like Nucky or blanch procreating until they get through life's school of hard knocks. But goodness. #Perspective

If I'm single and get woken up at 5:30 AM on a Saturday, I might just throw on TBS, crack another beer and watch a Bourne Movie. Then sleep until noon.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:29 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:No, sorry. I mean everyone is in a different stage of their life and makes different life choices. I have 2 kids 5 and under and neither is a great sleeper. In addition, I have a 125 lb Senior dog who has health issues. Waking up at 5:30 on any given night is par for the course, and I manage to get through my day just fine. And that's because I'm a pussy myself, and my wife handles the majority of the night time disturbances. And still goes to work on time in the morning and is on her toes all day.

Just funny to me that a single person would complain about the inconvenience of being temporarily awaken for 30 seconds at 5 AM. Oh the horror! You might miss your 11 AM appointment at the 'I am a selfish motherfucker who lives only for myself' salon.

That's cool man. I'm not trying to rip you all for your lifestyle. I miss those days. And I certainly don't want dudes like Nucky or blanch procreating until they get through life's school of hard knocks. But goodness. #Perspective

If I'm single and get woken up at 5:30 AM on a Saturday, I might just throw on TBS, crack another beer and watch a Bourne Movie. Then sleep until noon.

What kind of male goes to a fucking salon?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:33 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:No, sorry. I mean everyone is in a different stage of their life and makes different life choices. I have 2 kids 5 and under and neither is a great sleeper. In addition, I have a 125 lb Senior dog who has health issues. Waking up at 5:30 on any given night is par for the course, and I manage to get through my day just fine. And that's because I'm a pussy myself, and my wife handles the majority of the night time disturbances. And still goes to work on time in the morning and is on her toes all day.

I'd be a great father if I had to right now, but if I did knock a chick up I'd crush some RU-486 and put it in her coffee.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Marc Summers wrote:

I'd be a great father if I had to right now, but if I did knock a chick up I'd crush some RU-486 and put it in her coffee.

For once, you and I are in agreement. That would definitely be the route to go.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:41 pm

I want to make it clear that I don't give a shit about being woken up. Whatever. I moved on 14 seconds later. But that said, if something wakes me up at that time, if it isn't my family telling me that someone is dying or some chick offering to blow me, I really don't care what's happening. Because it's 5 am. I just don't think it's an effective use of resources. Plus the whole "calling wolf" thing. Plenty of people have opted out of those notices because of that poor decision.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:41 pm

Razz
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:48 am

Turtleneck wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

It's all relative.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:25 am

I'm always up at 5am, just the nature of my beast. But if I were to be asleep and be awoken unexpectedly like that I'd have a tough time getting back to sleep. Didn't mean to respond as adversarially as I did.

But you're right, it shouldn't be a day/night ruining event. It's a bit prima donna to be so upset that you create a thread to complain about such a thing. And I suppose just as prima donna to participate in a thread, agreeing with that premise.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:00 am

Meh, if it means getting the word out to potentially save a kids life I'll deal with the inconvenience of looking at my phone for a few seconds then rolling back over and going back to sleep.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:40 am

StylesGShmooth wrote:Meh, if it means getting the word out to potentially save a kids life I'll deal with the inconvenience of looking at my phone for a few seconds then rolling back over and going back to sleep.

You seem like a solid guy. Sensible. Probably over 30 years old.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:32 am

I'm all for Amber Alerts, but it seems like every single one is some kid from a trailer park who is later found safely with a family member. They need to mix it up a bit.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:33 am

Cym Jim wrote:I'm all for Amber Alerts, but it seems like every single one is some kid from a trailer park who is later found safely with a family member. They need to mix it up a bit.
so you're saying that tRCMB tailgates are basically one big Amber Alert..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:37 am

Cym Jim wrote:I'm all for Amber Alerts, but it seems like every single one is some kid from a trailer park who is later found safely with a family member. They need to mix it up a bit.

The pretty white blonde haired girls get national media coverage 24-7. Can't trailer trash at least get a text notification?  Hell, FOX news suspended regular viewing because some chick went on spring break and got drunk. They literally moved that lady with the face that looked like it was mauled by a pitbull to the Caribbean and she got her own show.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:40 am

i have to agree with this sentiment. trailer park kids are a dime a dozen. they should only send out an alert when the kid is actually worth something.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:44 am

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

It's all relative.

What does Kentucky have to do with this?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 am

xsanguine wrote:Man.... I hate to appear insensitive but receiving that kind of alert that early on a Saturday morning would certainly push me to turning off those alerts. The reason those alerts aren't active on my devices is because something similar occurred a year or so ago. I'd like to help if I could but...

This was my point - how many people have now turned off their alerts because they got one at 5:30am on a weekend? Hopefully it was worth it to MSP, because it's likely they will be notifying several thousand less people the next time around.

Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:07 am

Bizarro Fletch wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Man.... I hate to appear insensitive but receiving that kind of alert that early on a Saturday morning would certainly push me to turning off those alerts. The reason those alerts aren't active on my devices is because something similar occurred a year or so ago. I'd like to help if I could but...

This was my point - how many people have now turned off their alerts because they got one at 5:30am on a weekend? Hopefully it was worth it to MSP, because it's likely they will be notifying several thousand less people the next time around.

Just the idiots who don't know how to adjust alert volumes. They probably wouldn't be a big help anyway.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:32 am

kingstonlake wrote:
Bizarro Fletch wrote:

Just the idiots who don't know how to adjust alert volumes. They probably wouldn't be a big help anyway.
There isn't a way to adjust alert volumes. It's all or nothing.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat May 16, 2015 5:08 am

Romulus area '97 Red Saturn lic# ACU559

Nucky is pissed off, somewhere.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat May 16, 2015 5:55 am

I got it as well. Now I'm wide awake and trolling message boards.

I'm all for the system, but it may need some tweeks as I'm no where near Romulus.  The wife's phone did not go off.

Cool story.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat May 16, 2015 6:12 am

Nordic wrote:I got it as well. Now I'm wide awake and trolling message boards.

I'm all for the system, but it may need some tweeks as I'm no where near Romulus.  The wife's phone did not go off.

Cool story.

I was already awake, but started laughing when the amber alert went off, knowing that this was going to be bumped. That probably makes me a bad person.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Sun May 17, 2015 11:04 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Nordic wrote:I got it as well. Now I'm wide awake and trolling message boards.

Cool story.

I was already awake, but started laughing when the amber alert went off, knowing that this was going to be bumped. That probably makes me a bad person.

Nah. Being glad that Nucky banned and couldn't bump it himself makes you a bad --

Listen, I think you're a fine guy, Floyd. Let's just leave it at that, shall we?
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Sun May 17, 2015 4:00 pm

I got it and I'm about it. If it helps save just one life then I'm okay with being woken up at 5 am
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth Sun May 17, 2015 4:14 pm

Saw it on my phone when I woke up yesterday but didn't even hear it when it went off. If it had woke me up though, I'm still OK being the slightest of inconvenienced to potentially save a life.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next