Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread

+12
Death Roe
Watch Out Pylon!
The_Dude
The Pantry
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
CORNER BLITZ
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Dr. Strangelove
SpartanInNH
tGreenWay
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread Empty The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread

Post by Guest 2015-06-01, 10:49

We need a thread for all the coming stories about your 2016 Super Bowl Champion Lions.....The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread 1966794946

ALLEN PARK -- You've probably heard this a time or three, but Detroit Lions guard Laken Tomlinson is smart. He possesses the kind of intelligence that allowed him to earn two bachelor's degrees from Duke University and have aspirations to pursue a career in medicine once he's done playing football.

As an NFL rookie in the early stages of his first offseason program, no asset has been more valuable to Tomlinson than his mind. It's the time of year where the coaching staff overwhelms newcomers with a wealth of information.

"My main focus, right now, is to show these coaches that I understand the playbook and that I can go out there and execute at a high level," Tomlinson said after an OTA practice last week.

Although Tomlinson wasn't able to quantify the size of offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi's playbook, multiple Lions veterans talked last season about how voluminous it is compared to what they've previously known.

Detroit Lions OG Laken Tomlinson's intelligence proving to be valuable asset in early OTA practices
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread Empty Re: The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread

Post by tGreenWay 2015-06-01, 14:09

I still don't believe I'll see the Lions win an NFL title in my lifetime. At least my FiL saw his beloved Red Sox win the WS once before he died.
Also, fuck the Red Sox.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-03, 18:39

The Detroit Lions open training camp two months from today, and in many ways they'll have a different-looking team than the one that won 11 games last year.

The defensive tackle position has been overhauled. The offensive line has several new starters. There's a more pronounced commitment to the running game.

And, naturally, the Lions like the changes they've made.

"Obviously, we feel like the guys that we've added can come in and contribute in meaningful ways at positions of need for us, whether that's the offensive line or defensive line," Lions president Tom Lewand told the Free Press last week after a speaking engagement at the Birmingham Country Club. "We've brought some guys in in the secondary. I think that we have the potential to improve in a lot of areas that the numbers show needed improvement over last year."

Lions' Lewand: Chemistry key to 2015's revamped roster
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-06-03, 21:36

I'm cautiously optimistic. Losing Suh was a done deal, at his price. I'm kinda bummed about Fairley, but they know him better than I do. And they at least started drafting the lines, OL and DL, as though they mattered, so there's that.

I like Caldwell, but the jury is still out AFAIC on whether he can coach a team to the Super Bowl without a guy named Peyton Manning at QB. Still an upgrade over that dickhead, Schwartz.

We'll see.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-04, 07:57

Some pretty good work here by Kyle.....

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions will open up Thursday's OTA to the media shortly after 10 a.m., so we'll have all kinds of coverage after practice wraps up.

In the meantime, here's a mailbag to keep you kids occupied:

Q: What are your expectations for the defensive line with the addition of the young guys and and a true teacher in Haloti Ngata in the middle? Better, same or worse than last year? — BigDNasty

A: Worse. But don't consider that an indictment of the current personnel. To me, it's just the reality of losing a guy like Ndamukong Suh.

We've talked about his impact ad nauseam, so I won't dwell too much on him. But the guy has played at least 900 snaps every season but one, according to ProFootballFocus, and he played 838 in the lone exception.

And he was taking on double teams for almost every single one of them.

Ngata is really good, don't get me wrong. But he's not Suh-good, because no one is. Teams won't have to game plan for the interior quite like they used to, which means the second and third levels can expect their jobs to become harder as well.

The biggest immediate drop-off you'll see is in the pass rush, and Tyrunn Walker is going to be asked to help pick up the slack.

The one positive development I've seen so far is the development of Caraun Reid. He didn't play much as a rookie last year, after going in the fifth round out of Princeton. But the Lions are raving about him now, and he was actually repping ahead of Walker on the first unit during OTAs last week.

Ask Kyle: On job battles at receiver and cornerback, and interviewing Detroit Lions' Eric Ebron
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-06, 06:04

DEARBORN — Darius Slay took a massive step forward during his second season, and some believe he could be one of the Detroit Lions' next big stars.

That includes Darius Slay.

"I'm going to be great," the third-year cornerback said Friday before Stephen Tulloch's charity softball game in suburban Detroit. "Good is not acceptable this year for me. I have to be great."

Detroit Lions' Darius Slay: Good is no longer acceptable for me
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-07, 11:12

While the Detroit Lions defense has a decent amount of personnel changes this offseason, it is the offense that is a group still possessing a bunch of questions as June continues to move along.

Most of those won't be truly answered until September because the offensive line can't really hit and going full speed isn't actually happening yet, but there are bits and pieces to glean now.

Lions Sunday Mailbag: Will Ameer Abdullah flourish with Detroit?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-06-07, 11:31

Caldwell is awful but he fits into the shitshow that is the Lions. No running game, d line decimated, secondary is porous.

At SD - loss
At min - loss
Denver - loss
At sea - loss
Ariz - loss
Chi - win
Min - win
At kc - loss
At gb - loss
Oak - win
Phil - loss
Gb - win
At stl - win
At no - loss
Sf - win
At chic - loss

6-10

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-10, 07:43

DEARBORN — The Detroit Lions are undergoing a youth movement on the offensive line.

Dominic Raiola and Rob Sims — the unit's two most venerable fixtures — are out. Second-year center Travis Swanson and rookie guard Laken Tomlinson are (probably) in.
Combine those guys with the fourth-year Riley Reiff, third-year Larry Warford and third-year LaAdrian Waddle, and Detroit's projected starting line is tracking to be the second-youngest in the league.
If Waddle (ACL) isn't ready to go for the season opener, then they'll likely go even younger with the second-year Cornelius Lucas.
Hiccups can be expected, with all that youth and all those moving parts. But what the Lions lose in experience, they appear to be gaining in athleticism.
"I kind of equate it to young running backs," quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "You watch (young backs) run, and they just have no regard for their body. They just out there and they run. They play hard, they play physical. And O-line I think is the same way.
"It's fun to watch these guys just move around. The athletic ability we have up there right now is pretty awesome."

Detroit Lions' offensive line is looking awfully athletic in OTAs
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-10, 14:35

This one hurts, I really wanted him back with Suh/Fairley leaving...

C.J. Mosley makes up his mind, chooses to sign with the Dolphins

Apparently C.J. Mosley didn’t need long to think about it.
The veteran defensive tackle has agreed to a one-year deal with the Dolphins, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-06-10, 20:41

LooseGoose wrote:This one hurts, I really wanted him back with Suh/Fairley leaving...

C.J. Mosley makes up his mind, chooses to sign with the Dolphins

Apparently C.J. Mosley didn’t need long to think about it.
The veteran defensive tackle has agreed to a one-year deal with the Dolphins, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

Really does hurt. No
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-16, 10:33

Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson looking to score WWE ringside passes to cheer on college teammate

ALLEN PARK -- Two college captains, two different paths to superstardom.
In 2006, it was clear where wide receiver Calvin Johnson's was heading. The freakishly athletic Georgia Tech junior was dominating the college ranks, catching 76 passes for 1,202 yards and 15 touchdowns. He would ultimately end up being the No. 2 overall selection in the NFL draft and continuing that dominance as a member of the Detroit Lions.

On the other side of the ball, defensive tackle Joseph Anoa'i was the leader of the Yellow Jackets defense. The three-year starter earned first-team All-ACC honors as a senior. In that final campaign, he recorded 40 tackles (nine for a loss) and 4.5 sacks.
He had the character, the motor and even the production, but Anoa'i lacked Johnson's chart-busting measurables. The lineman would go undrafted.

As a free agent, Anoa'i got a shot with the Minnesota Vikings and Jacksonville Jaguars, but a serious illness forced him to take some time off. After spending a season in the CFL, it was clear the NFL dream wasn't going to happen.
Good thing he had a fallback option.

The Anoa'i family is royalty in the world of professional wrestling. His grandfather, father, uncle and multiple cousins have all been stars. One cousin -- Dwayne Johnson, who played college football at Miami -- went on to become one of the biggest names in the history of the industry as The Rock.

In 2010, more than three years after his college football career ended, Anoa'i inked a deal with WWE's developmental division.

You know him now as Roman Reigns.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-07-06, 01:03

Lions' Carter would love chance in slot

Following injuries to their top two nickel cornerbacks last season, Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin used a three-safety look with Isa Abdul-Quddus or Don Carey joining the starters.

This season, the Lions have a few smaller cornerbacks who could fill the traditional slot role, but if they want a bigger player there, Alex Carter, a third-round pick, said he'd love the chance.

The Lions drafted the 6-foot, 196-pound Carter as a long-term option outside, hopefully the running mate for Darius Slay assuming 34-year-old Rashean Mathis doesn't play until he's 40. Carter has the strength the Lions covet, and having an opportunity to learn behind Mathis should help.

When the Lions drafted Carter and Quandre Diggs (sixth round), cornerbacks coach Tony Oden said they'd teach both inside and outside skills.

"They haven't put me at nickel, but if they do in camp, then I would love it," Carter said.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-07-07, 08:07

Detroit Lions — Five reasons it's still good to have Megatron

It wouldn’t really be wise to write off the 29-year-old Calvin Johnson as too old. The Detroit Lions wide receiver said in June that he knows he has great seasons left and there is no reason to doubt the big guy.

Here are five reasons the Lions are still lucky to have the man called Megatron:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-07-25, 08:54

Detroit Lions – Five reasons Matthew Stafford will improve this season 

Stafford is a gunslinger, we all know it. Last year Lombardi seemed hesitant to give Stafford the freedom to go deep down field. Lombardi said in the spring — and he’s been consistent with this — that the goal is give Stafford the green light more often. If the running game is improved (as it should be) this will help the effort.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-07-28, 08:22

Lions rookies have to prove they can get it done

The slow trickle begins today, when rookies and injured veterans report for training camp.
On Sunday, the rest of the vets follow, and come Monday afternoon, 10 days before their preseason opener against the Rex Ryan-less New York Jets, the Lions will be back on the practice field.

The Lions are coming off an 11-5 season and a second-place finish in the NFC North. They made the playoffs last year for just the second time since the turn of the millennium. And if they’re going to return to the postseason this fall, they’ll need bigger contributions from their rookie class than they got last year.

First-round pick Eric Ebron had a disappointing rookie season, especially when compared to the players drafted around him. Second-rounder Kyle Van Noy missed half the year with a hernia. And the Lions didn’t get much production from anyone else in the draft.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-02, 15:54

Detroit Lions trade CB Mohammed Seisay to Seahawks for 2016 draft pick

Seisay was expected to battle for one of the final cornerback jobs, along with Lawson, Quandre Diggs, Chris Owens, Crezdon Butler, Josh Wilson and R.J. Stanford.

The Lions have stockpiled 2016 draft picks over the past few months. They're sitting on about three compensatory picks, after losing Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and Kellen Davis in free agency. Two of those should be third-rounders.

After the trade with Seattle, Detroit now sits on about 10 draft picks for 2016.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-08-03, 08:58

After the trade with Seattle, Detroit now sits on about 10 draft picks for 2016.

Well that should work out well with the Lions stellar history of drafting.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-08-03, 21:20

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Well that should work out well with the Lions stellar history of drafting.

This is unfortunately similar to my thinking on the topic. Better three picks that you nail than 10 that you misspend.

The odds of success go up, of course, the more picks you have, but Millen showed that there is no guarantee that any number of picks will turn into a decent roster.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-06, 20:42

Detroit Lions notes: Kyle Van Noy moves better, plenty of work to do

Worthy in two days
Defensive tackle Jerel Worthy, who was acquired on Tuesday, has shown Austin something in just two practices.

“I will tell you one thing that does stick out is that he’s extremely quick off the ball which is something we really like in our defensive lineman, so that is one factor that he has,’’ Austin said. “He has really good motor for a guy, so we will just try to get him indoctrinated into our system and see where he goes here in the next few weeks, but he’s really been a pleasant surprise.”

Worthy, who played at Michigan State, was waived by the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-07, 09:20

Former Michigan State All-American Jerel Worthy embracing fresh start with Lions' defensive line

NOVI -- The Detroit Lions held what was easily their best practice of training camp Wednesday night. The energy was high across the board, the result of the pads going on, and doing so in front of more than 7,000 fans at Novi High School. (See photos of the open practice.)
But no one was floating around quite like Jerel Worthy.
The defensive tackle has had a humbling four years, going from All-American at Michigan State in 2011, to a second-round pick in 2012, to practice squad in 2014, to cut by the Chiefs four days ago.
But then he was claimed off waivers by the Detroit Lions. He practiced with his new club for the first time Wednesday night. And just like that, he was back to where his career first took off.
"The support system is here," Worthy said. "You know you're going to get love everywhere that you go, and it makes you want to play for a fan base like this -- come out and play for an organization like this. Just give your all.
"This is a great opportunity for me and my career, and I just want to go straight to the top."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-08, 16:55

Detroit Lions training camp notes: First-team offense looks good in scrimmage
ALLEN PARK -- Here are a few notes and observations from Detroit Lions training camp practice Saturday.
-- The entire practice centered around a scrimmage as the team prepares to play the New York Jets in the exhibition opener next week. Outside of some penalties along the offensive line, the first-team offense looked sharp.
Quarterback Matthew Stafford was effective, surprisingly leaning on tight end Eric Ebron to move to the chains. In four possessions, Stafford led the offense to two touchdowns. One drive stalled on the defense's side of the field when Rashean Mathis made a last-minute recovery to break up a deep sideline throw to Calvin Johnson. The other when Tyrunn Walker stuffed George Winn at the goal line on 4th-and-1.
One of Stafford's best plays came on 3rd-and-21 (following a holding call and a false start by Manny Ramirez). The quarterback stared down a receiver on the right side, before zipping a pass to Lance Moore down the seam for a 30-yard gain to the 10-yard line.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-10, 08:40

5 who shined during first week of Lions training camp, and 5 who didn't 
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-18, 10:48

Motown Mirage: Don’t Expect Eric Ebron to Break Out in Year 2

After the dazzling debuts of rookie first-round receivers Odell Beckham, Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, Kelvin Benjamin, and Brandin Cooks, the afterimage of last season hasn’t entirely faded. Beckham snagged the Offensive Rookie of the Year award with one hand, and a historically great class delivered a bevy of dynamic performances. Their futures are so bright that it’s easy to forget that the Lions thought they discovered their own supernova by drafting tight end Eric Ebron no. 10 overall. Many observers labeled it a surprising pick for a franchise with a leaky secondary, but Detroit thought it was a steal: The front office had ranked Ebron, an up-the-seam playmaker who set the ACC record for career receiving yards by a tight end, as the second-best offensive player in the draft behind Watkins.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-08-18, 19:56

LooseGoose wrote:Motown Mirage: Don’t Expect Eric Ebron to Break Out in Year 2

After the dazzling debuts of rookie first-round receivers Odell Beckham, Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, Kelvin Benjamin, and Brandin Cooks, the afterimage of last season hasn’t entirely faded. Beckham snagged the Offensive Rookie of the Year award with one hand, and a historically great class delivered a bevy of dynamic performances. Their futures are so bright that it’s easy to forget that the Lions thought they discovered their own supernova by drafting tight end Eric Ebron no. 10 overall. Many observers labeled it a surprising pick for a franchise with a leaky secondary, but Detroit thought it was a steal: The front office had ranked Ebron, an up-the-seam playmaker who set the ACC record for career receiving yards by a tight end, as the second-best offensive player in the draft behind Watkins.

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread Hmpf
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-20, 03:08

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 3h3 hours ago

Report: Ex-NFL QB Erik Kramer treated for injuries after suicide attempt

Ex-QB Erik Kramer treated for injuries after reported suicide attempt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-08-20, 20:26

RGIII is getting the shit kicked out of him tonight.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-23, 15:06

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 12m12 minutes ago
The initial diagnosis on #Packers WR Jordy Nelson is a torn ACL, source said. Horrible news. Awaiting MRI results to confirm.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-23, 16:26

LooseGoose wrote:Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 12m12 minutes ago
The initial diagnosis on #Packers WR Jordy Nelson is a torn ACL, source said. Horrible news. Awaiting MRI results to confirm.
Fuuuiiiiuuuuuuuuuuuuhcccccckkkkkkj
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-29, 10:11

Can't believe it's been 4 years since the Killer died.

I used to love his chats.

Paula Pasche@paulapasche 2m2 minutes ago
Four years ago today lost my friend Tom Kowalski. Miss him so much.

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread CNlO-22UkAA2nb2
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-29, 10:29

LooseGoose wrote:Can't believe it's been 4 years since the Killer died.

I used to love his chats.

Paula Pasche@paulapasche 2m2 minutes ago
Four years ago today lost my friend Tom Kowalski. Miss him so much.

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread CNlO-22UkAA2nb2

One of the best reporters in Detroit. And what you hear is he was even a better person.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-29, 11:30

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread CNi4UOKUsAAXmUi
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-08-29, 11:53

LooseGoose wrote:The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread CNi4UOKUsAAXmUi

Tony Romo sucks
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-29, 12:04

LooseGoose wrote:The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread CNi4UOKUsAAXmUi

There's really only one quarterback I'd take over Stafford in this picture as of now.

In hindsight I'd take all but Romo before Stafford.

As far as being elite, don't know that Romo is considered elite but usually those tags are given to players who have the benefit of a good defense and organization too, so that might be why he won't be considered elite.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-29, 12:11

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/08/28/t-shirt-suggests-the-green-bay-packers-are-michigans-favorite-team-photo/
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-08-29, 12:42

Lions are gonna get killed on slants if they keep blitzing like they showed last night vs Jax
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-10-30, 13:43

Mayhew needs to be fired today before he does more damage.

Mayhew: Lions still a buyer as trade deadline looms

Chandler’s Cross, England — Despite a 1-6 start, the Lions are still focused on trying to win as many games as possible in 2015.

To make the postseason this year would take a near-miracle, and based on his responses about the remainder of the season, general manager Martin Mayhew sounds like a man who’s focused on trying to save his job.

“I think the trade deadline is coming,” Mayhew told beat reporters and members of the team’s website Friday. “We’re going to be probably more buyers than sellers, and we’ve had some dialogue already about some guys around the league. So, we’re actively looking at those situations.”

Mayhew said the team’s performance Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs at London’s Wembley Stadium won’t impact how the team approaches Tuesday’s trade deadline. The Lions’ top football executive noted the team’s intent to add talent after explaining that star wide receiver Calvin Johnson and quarterback Matthew Stafford are not on the trade block.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-10-30, 13:45

They should sell sell sell. Stafford and co isn't the answer. Get some fuckin' meat in the trenches and build a defense.. then worry about QBs, WRs, and RBs.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-10-30, 13:46

Trades we'd like to see: Lions send Calvin Johnson to Patriots

Proposed trade No. 1:

Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson to New England Patriots for a second-round draft choice

In an eerie parallel, the same thing actually happened (more or less) eight years ago.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-10-30, 13:52

The Lions suck. They should have traded Megatron at the beginning of the season and kept Suh. Now they lost Suh and got nothing in return, and they'll probably hang on to Megatron and pay him a bloated salary. They should just give Stafford a 10 year extension as well. What a craptastic team.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next