Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread

+12
Death Roe
Watch Out Pylon!
The_Dude
The Pantry
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
CORNER BLITZ
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Dr. Strangelove
SpartanInNH
tGreenWay
16 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread

Post by Guest January 24th 2016, 7:51 pm

Bob Wojnowski ‏@bobwojnowski 1h1 hour ago
Broncos are 2-5 in Super Bowls. Haha, that's so bad. That's, like, five more losses than the Lions!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread

Post by SpartanInNH January 24th 2016, 8:03 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Bob Wojnowski ‏@bobwojnowski 1h1 hour ago
Broncos are 2-5 in Super Bowls. Haha, that's so bad. That's, like, five more losses than the Lions!

Fucker.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 31st 2016, 11:51 am

Lions hire former Maryland, UConn coach Randy Edsall
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson January 31st 2016, 5:16 pm

Dianna Marie Russini Verified account @diannaESPN  5m5 minutes ago  
per @AdamSchefter Calvin Johnson told head coach Jim Caldwell the day after the regular season ended that 2015 would be his final NFL year
  192 retweets     40 likes  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14686284/calvin-johnson-told-detroit-lions-plans-retire?sf20052759=1

Bye Lions
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 31st 2016, 5:40 pm

Well we'll have some salary cap for the new guy to spend.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay January 31st 2016, 5:41 pm

I freaking hate how the Lions waste major talent. Sims, Sanders, CJ, all deserved better than to play for such a loser organization.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 31st 2016, 5:45 pm

tGreenWay wrote:I freaking hate how the Lions waste major talent. Sims, Sanders, CJ, all deserved better than to play for such a loser organization.

Major talent or major losers? Perhaps we kid ourselves?

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 11m11 minutes ago
Barry Sanders: Lions leading rusher, last season age 30.
Calvin Johnson: Lions leading receiver, last season age 30.

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread - Page 4 CaFRJuCWkAA3Dss
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay January 31st 2016, 6:15 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I freaking hate how the Lions waste major talent. Sims, Sanders, CJ, all deserved better than to play for such a loser organization.

Both. As individuals, both were major talent. As members of a team, major losers.
But I don't understand the point of the tweet.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags January 31st 2016, 6:19 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Both. As individuals, both were major talent. As members of a team, major losers.

He's retired as of today.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay January 31st 2016, 6:24 pm

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I know. I thought Goose's comment about them being major losers was tied directly to the tweet. I didn't understand the connection.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 31st 2016, 6:28 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

I know. I thought Goose's comment about them being major losers was tied directly to the tweet. I didn't understand the connection.

My comment is this. People around here worship both of them, but we lost with them and we can lose without them. They were not difference makers for all their talent. Really I'd rather have the $3Million + back from CJ and the $20Million in cap space for the new guy to work with.

I respect their talent but I don't worship losers as everyone else in the D seems to.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 31st 2016, 6:32 pm

For example Barry had 1 good playoff game of 6 he played in, we got beat anyway. Career record in the playoffs 1-5 with the 1 win his rookie year. So yeah we lost the highlight runs but it's not like we lost a proven winner in the post season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SandBa00.htm
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ January 31st 2016, 6:33 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

My comment is this. People around here worship both of them, but we lost with them and we can lose without them. They were not difference makers for all their talent. Really I'd rather have the $3Million + back from CJ and the $20Million in cap space for the new guy to work with.

I respect their talent but I don't worship losers as everyone else in the D seems to.

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread - Page 4 1494614055 The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread - Page 4 1494614055 The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread - Page 4 502811600
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher January 31st 2016, 6:38 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

One was a running back. The other was a WR. Rarely can an individual at either position carry a team for sustained periods, especially in the postseason. The Bears did not ride 34 to the 85 title. You can make a case for TD and Emmitt Smith but those were great teams with great OLs. I can't even think of a WR quasi carrying a team through the postseason to a title.

Detroit can't build great teams because of sustained organizational dysfunction. Sometimes for Lions fans (of which I'm not) it's fun to watch individual brilliance since you know and understand that team brilliance is unlikely to occur.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ January 31st 2016, 6:41 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

One was a running back. The other was a WR. Rarely can an individual at either position carry a team for sustained periods, especially in the postseason. The Bears did not ride 34 to the 85 title. You can make a case for TD and Emmitt Smith but those were great teams with great OLs. I can't even think of a WR quasi carrying a team through the postseason to a title.

Detroit can't build great teams because of sustained organizational dysfunction. Sometimes for Lions fans (of which I'm not) it's fun to watch individual brilliance since you know and understand that team brilliance is unlikely to occur.

That and it was basically Barry v Emmitt and everyone outside of the D would blow Emmitt because his team won...completely ignoring that he would encounter the first defender 3+ yards beyond the LOS while Barry would meet his first defender 3+ yards behind the LOS. Take Barry away from those teams and they are at best the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Take away Smith and the Cowboys are still a great team
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay January 31st 2016, 6:41 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I didn't worship them either, but I disagree that their efforts didn't make a difference. You're right that, as part of a team, they didn't make enough of a difference to lead their teams to more wins. However, their individual talents were enough to create some remarkable plays in their respective careers despite defenses being able to key on them. Those losses accrued despite their efforts, because there wasn't enough talent elsewhere on the team. And while I might even agree that trading either or both during their early years wouldve freed up money and brought in more draft picks, it was the consistently poor work of the front office that failed to bring in better players. In sum, while it may be an obvious point-- the Lions lost despite Sanders and CJ. The real losers were Chuck Schmidt, Matt Millen, and Matthews/Lewand.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 31st 2016, 6:41 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Your point is fair, I was just coming to point out that Calvin played in 2 playoffs games in 9 years. The Lions lost both. So again this isn't like his retirement is jeopardizing a dynasty.

I'm hoping the new guy finally succeeds in Detroit, I believe having $20 million more to spread around on players might help him do so. We've now shed 2 of the 3 crippling contracts from the old rookie system (Suh & CJ) - Stafford is more justifiable as a QB.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ January 31st 2016, 6:52 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Your point is fair, I was just coming to point out that Calvin played in 2 playoffs games in 9 years. The Lions lost both. So again this isn't like his retirement is jeopardizing a dynasty.

I'm hoping the new guy finally succeeds in Detroit, I believe having $20 million more to spread around on players might help him do so. We've now shed 2 of the 3 crippling contracts from the old rookie system (Suh & CJ) - Stafford is more justifiable as a QB.

The Lions have sucked so long I don't think most even care about the Lions but about those players. Sanders is the best RB ever. He'll obviously be mentioned at the top, but others with more wins will also be mentioned in the same breath. Put Barry on another team and it's not even close.

Megatron is harder to say that with because he's even further away from the ball being a WR, but he is sooo insanely talented...and that talent was completely wasted away in Detroit. These past couple of years he has been an afterthought when talking about the best WRs in the game. Like, the current game, not all time. The Lions should have used the old shoelace playbook and threw up 3-4 hail marys to him each game, that's 1)how bad their offense was and 2) how good he was

I think a lot of why people prop them up is because no one else will since they were on the Lions and, while amazing, would have been able to do so much more elsewhere
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher January 31st 2016, 6:57 pm

The Lions picked a QB #1 overall. They needed him to be a transcendent talent. He wasn't and isn't. IMO they'd be best off cutting bait with him, too. He is better than the immediate alternative but you're paying him too much for as big of an enigma as he often is.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 31st 2016, 7:00 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The Lions picked a QB #1 overall. They needed him to be a transcendent talent. He wasn't and isn't. IMO they'd be best off cutting bait with him, too. He is better than the immediate alternative but you're paying him too much for as big of an enigma as he often is.

I wouldn't argue this for long - he might actually have some trade value. Perhaps the Lions could screw Jerry Jones again?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags January 31st 2016, 9:23 pm

LooseGoose wrote:For example Barry had 1 good playoff game of 6 he played in, we got beat anyway. Career record in the playoffs 1-5 with the 1 win his rookie year. So yeah we lost the highlight runs but it's not like we lost a proven winner in the post season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SandBa00.htm

Lost with them, lost greater without them. Key here is making the playoffs. Never have without them since the 70's. I know what your point is, but fuck Detroit for never adding on to help them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! February 1st 2016, 8:39 am

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread - Page 4 9ReRvb8
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 1st 2016, 3:59 pm

Lions will have to pay up to keep 2013 draft class
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 2nd 2016, 4:02 pm

Lions raise ticket prices for 2016

The Detroit Lions were one of the worst teams in the NFL for most of last season, but that didn't stop them from raising ticket prices for the third straight year.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 4th 2016, 1:13 pm

Lions fire personnel man Sheldon White
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH February 4th 2016, 10:22 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Lions fire personnel man Sheldon White

Too bad for Mr. White, a good soldier if ever there was one. The writing was on the wall as soon as they went outside the franchise to hire somebody else's personnel guy as GM, so I can't say I'm surprised, but I certainly wish Mr. White well in his future endeavors.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 6th 2016, 9:05 pm

The 2015/16 Detroit Lions thread - Page 4 CakuIT4XIAEE-yV
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher February 8th 2016, 7:43 am

Retirement official per T Foss.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson February 8th 2016, 8:48 am

I saw Barry Sanders interviewed on Friday, saying he wants CJ to come back for another year.  I'm like, dude, no way do you have a right to get involved or even have an opinion.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 9th 2016, 11:09 am

Analyst: Lions needed Lombardi's offense, not Cooter's
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 15th 2016, 9:05 am

Analyst: Lions' second-half offensive surge was no mirage
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 16th 2016, 9:56 am

Analysis: How a long-term extension might look for Detroit Lions CB Darius Slay
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson February 16th 2016, 5:41 pm

Joique, gone.

Lions cut Joique Bell
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH February 16th 2016, 8:54 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Joique, gone.

Lions cut Joique Bell

*Sigh* Godspeed, Joique, and good luck.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 17th 2016, 8:35 am

Detroit Lions Twitter Talk: On CB, RB situations and a case for team to honor Herman Moore
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4