Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey WBH - Q question

4 posters

Go down

Hey WBH - Q question Empty Hey WBH - Q question

Post by Wally Fairway Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 23:49

So let's say I want to smoke some ribs & brisket for a noon tailgate, and I don't have a drive around cooker....what are my options?

I have a WSM (18.5), coolers, meat & beer - how do the logistics work out?
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Hey WBH - Q question Empty Re: Hey WBH - Q question

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 23:59

For the brisket, I would start it the night before. Let's say it weighs X lbs. I would put it on X hours minus 30 minutes from when I planned to leave for tailgate/game. I would set my vents to where I know the WSM would cook between 250 and 275. Put water in the bowl. And go to bed. Wake up, double wrap in HD foil, and wrap in a towel, put in cooler. Unwrap when you're ready to serve and serve it. (standard response - separate flat from point, slice each against the grain)

Ribs are trickier. Presumably you don't want to stay up all night. Presumably you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night. If you're ok with waking up in the middle of the night, throw some STL spares on ~ 5 hours before X minus 30 minutes. Pull them, wrap them the same way, cooler. If they're not quite done, reheat them on propane grill on low, still wrapped in foil until they're well north of 200 and bending like rubber.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 0:01

If you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night, Cook them Friday morning for 4.5 hours or so. Double wrap. Fridge. I am assuming you will have a propane grill at tailgate. Again I would just pop them on that still wrapped Saturday AM on low until they got to bend-tender.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 0:08

I might have to try a dry run on this, as it isn't for the Purdue game....the problem is I usually text myself start times/temp and shit like that, but for late night cooks the drinker I get the less idea I have about what I've done once I wake up.

Ribs are one of my favs, but you are right they take more time & effort; brisket is always a huge hit. Do you have any suggestions to use as a replacement for ribs (FWIW - I prefer St. Louis over baby back)
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 0:15

You're over thinking it if you need to text yourself start and finish times. You can use a maverick (I think you have one?) to gauge general times but for the most part it's pretty easy to tell status by the eye/bend/probe test. 

My suggestion is don't try to serve more than one type of meat at your tailgate because it's too difficult to track internal temps and cook times. 

If you don't have a portable cooker, I think I would stick with large cuts that have long cook times and will get better with long rest periods. Brisket, Pork Shoulders (asses), Beef chuck roast, Beef ribs
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 0:22

WHB,
What smoker are you using?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 0:31

I use a 18.5 WSM and/or a 24x48 offset trailer made by Peoria Cookers.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyScotty Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 9:31

This is the best thread I've read here so far. Damn now I am hungry for some ribs.
SpartyScotty
SpartyScotty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down