Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Weekly Mass Shooting

+28
Wally Fairway
Code_Warrior
The_Dude
Turtleneck
xsanguine
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
Travis of the Cosmos
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
Tim Wakefield
DWags
NigelUno
Dr. Strangelove
Watch Out Pylon!
SpartanInNH
WhiteBoyHatcher
tTy
Blanch32
Floyd Robertson
Gomer
StylesGShmooth
Vlad
kingstonlake
steveschneider
tGreenWay
32 posters

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

Your Weekly Mass Shooting - Page 12 Empty Re: Your Weekly Mass Shooting

Post by tTy 2015-12-03, 22:36

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tTy wrote:

I'll just go with that murder one then. That seems like enough evidence to me that these fuckers don't give a flying fuck that = "laws".........

Well that's nice, but you can't exactly stop the murder from happening if all you're going to do is try to enforce the "you aren't allowed to murder" law after someone breaks it.

Looking for what law they broke that we possibly could have done a better job of enforcing that could have stopped it in advance. Goose implied it exists on the books already.

This is so dumb. I'm out.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-03, 22:36

LooseGoose wrote:

Well that's nice, but you can't exactly stop the murder from happening if all you're going to do is try to enforce the "you aren't allowed to murder" law after someone breaks it.

Looking for what law they broke that we possibly could have done a better job of enforcing that could have stopped it in advance. Goose implied it exists on the books already.

I think you misunderstood my point. My point is that they were willing to break many existing laws. Based on that why would you believe they would obey new laws?

But did they? If they didn't then that's why we wouldn't have been able to catch it in advance. Would they have broken a new law? Would that new law have provided the opportunity to catch them in advance?

These are not answerable questions. FYI.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-12-03, 22:37

LooseGoose wrote:

I think you misunderstood my point. My point is that they were willing to break many existing laws. Based on that why would you believe they would obey new laws?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-03, 22:38

tTy wrote:

This is so dumb. I'm out.

Yeah, working together instead of just yelling at each other is so f'n dumb. It would be so much better if goose said "we should enforce the existing laws!" And if I just screamed back "no we need new ones!"

That's served everyone well in the past.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-12-03, 22:46

LooseGoose wrote:

Like this or worse?

Your Weekly Mass Shooting - Page 12 UvZHGKOh

Worse

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 22:53

LooseGoose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:
1.  You didn't answer the questions I posed to you a few pages back.
B.  I believe they used some type of assault rifle(s).  Would preventing people from owning assault rifles be a great infringement on anyone's rights?  Or would this be an an infringement of rights so great that the founding fathers would cringe?

You obviously don't read any answers so why bother.

Let me try one more time in CAPS.

What most people consider "ASSAULT WEAPONS" ARE LESS LETHAL THAN STANDARD ISSUE HUNTING GUNS.  HAD THESE PEOPLE USED A 30-.06 MORE PEOPLE WOULD HAVE DIED.

I would MUCH rather be shot with an "assault rifle" than a 30-30, my chances of surviving would be significantly higher.  

So would you PLEASE drop the big mean lethal assault rifle crap?

PS I used 30-.06 and 30-30 there because those are the 2 most popular/traditional hunting calibers.

I didn't read the answers, because you didn't answer my questions.

What you would rather be shot with has no relevance.

You seemed to be opposed to the guys in the chopper using those weapons to "hunt".  They aren't really "hunting".  They are just killing stuff, like in a bad video game.  Are you opposed to people buying those weapons at all?  Are they not for shooting multiple rounds?  Are you saying an automatic weapon or semi-automatic weapon like they are using to shoot hogs is less lethal for killing or wounding in a limited amount of time?  Because it kind of seems the opposite to me.

Why would the shooters in Cali not pick standard issue hunting guns to use?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-03, 23:08

NigelUno wrote: Are you opposed to people buying those weapons at all?  

Nope.   Why would I be opposed to a law abiding citizen owning a weapon?

NigelUno wrote:Are they not for shooting multiple rounds?  
 Yes, it seems they were.

NigelUno wrote: Are you saying an automatic weapon or semi-automatic weapon like they are using to shoot hogs is less lethal for killing or wounding in a limited amount of time?

Automatic or semi automatic is a huge difference.  As has been explained here numerous times there are very few automatic weapons in private hands in the United States.  Now listen closely here and maybe we can end one part of this discussion now. Since 1934 (when the initial law severely restricting owning automatic weapons was passed) there have been *2* murders involving AUTOMATIC weapons.  Both occurred in Ohio, one involved a cop using his automatic to commit a crime.  So again, please STOP talking about weapons that have been involved in 2 murders in 81 YEARS.

Full Auto Weapons

Semi automatic rifles as common as lice.  They are NOT unusual or "assault weapons".  They are one of the most popular, if not the most popular hunting weapons.   But again why are you focusing on them?  I know the answer, because politicians and the press have made them out to be evil.   Take a look at the following charts.  Rifles of ALL types including so called "assault rifles" are involved in fewer than 400 killings per year.   More people are beaten to death.  Many more people are knifed to death.  Yet we hear over and over and over about "assault rifles".

Your Weekly Mass Shooting - Page 12 Politifact%2Fphotos%2FGun_facebook_post

Your Weekly Mass Shooting - Page 12 CVTxpAlWcAANVmG
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-03, 23:12

LooseGoose wrote:

Yes, it seems they were.

NigelUno wrote: Are you saying an automatic weapon or semi-automatic weapon like they are using to shoot hogs is less lethal for killing or wounding in a limited amount of time?

Automatic or semi automatic is a huge difference.  As has been explained here numerous times there are very few automatic weapons in private hands in the United States.  Now listen closely here and maybe we can end one part of this discussion now. Since 1934 (when the initial law severely restricting owning automatic weapons was passed) there have been *2* murders involving AUTOMATIC weapons.  Both occurred in Ohio, one involved a cop using his automatic to commit a crime.  So again, please STOP talking about weapons that have been involved in 2 murders in 81 YEARS.

Full Auto Weapons

Semi automatic rifles as common as lice.  They are NOT unusual or "assault weapons".  They are one of the most popular, if not the most popular hunting weapons.   But again why are you focusing on them?  I know the answer, because politicians and the press have made them out to be evil.   Take a look at the following charts.  Rifles of ALL types including so called "assault rifles" are involved in fewer than 400 killings per year.   More people are beaten to death.  Many more people are knifed to death.  Yet we hear over and over and over about "assault rifles".

You know the two pictures you posted are hilarious being posted right next to each other, right? One trying to say that most murders are done with knives, an obvious lie and neglecting to mention handguns (but it has scary looking font) and the other clearly saying that handguns do most of the murdering.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-03, 23:17

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You know the two pictures you posted are hilarious being posted right next to each other, right? One trying to say that most murders are done with knives, an obvious lie and neglecting to mention handguns (but it has scary looking font) and the other clearly saying that handguns do most of the murdering.

You misinterpret and perhaps I should have dug longer for a better graphic.....the point being made was how many other things are used in more murders than rifles.   ANYONE that knows anything about the gun debate knows that handguns are the real culprit.   The question is with that being true what do the politicians and press focus on rifles?

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2015-12-03, 23:18; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:18

LooseGoose wrote:

Yes, it seems they were.

Full Auto Weapons

Is there any weapon that you would be opposed to?

Nuclear? Got any stats on how many Americans have been murdered with nuclear weapons? Or missiles? Surface to air stuff? Or just like a run of the mill regular missile? Those OK?

Land mines? Tanks? You good with all that too?

Why did the shooters in Cali not use standard hunting guns? I think you skipped that one.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:18

LooseGoose wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You know the two pictures you posted are hilarious being posted right next to each other, right? One trying to say that most murders are done with knives, an obvious lie and neglecting to mention handguns (but it has scary looking font) and the other clearly saying that handguns do most of the murdering.

You misinterpret and perhaps I should have dug longer for a better graphic.....the point being made was how many other things are used in more murders than rifles. ANYONE that knows anything about the gun debate knows that handguns are the real culprit. The question is with that being true what do the politicians and press focus on rifles?

Maybe it has something to do with a fear of mass killings by terrorists?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:19

Goose? You never answered my question on the Syrian refugees. Are you OK with them coming to the US?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-03, 23:21

LooseGoose wrote:

You misinterpret and perhaps I should have dug longer for a better graphic.....the point being made was how many other things are used in more murders than rifles.   ANYONE that knows anything about the gun debate knows that handguns are the real culprit.   The question is with that being true what do the politicians and press focus on rifles?

No, I understand that. But do we care to guess how many times that first one has been posted on various forums to prove to idiots that guns in general aren't an issue? Probably a lot. Probably followed with a lot of "we should ban knives!" Stuff immediately after.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:23

Hypothetical for you Goose:

What weapons (guns) would you NOT want someone to have if they wanted to kill a lot of people in a limited amount of time?

P.S.  Don't deflect.  Don't show me some charts.  Just answer the question.

Last edited by NigelUno on 2015-12-03, 23:26; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-12-03, 23:25

NigelUno wrote:Hypothetical for you Goose:

What weapons would you NOT want someone to have if they wanted to kill a lot of people in a limited amount of time?

Atom bomb.

Your Weekly Mass Shooting - Page 12 Hiroshima
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:26

xsanguine wrote:

What weapons would you NOT want someone to have if they wanted to kill a lot of people in a limited amount of time?

Atom bomb.

Oh. I hope there's a law against that...unless it infringes on someone's rights.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-03, 23:29

LOL, you seem to get a bit touchy when it's pointed out to you that the guns you want to ban aren't used to kill people.

NigelUno wrote:Is there any weapon that you would be opposed to?
I'm not opposed to a law abiding citizen owning any weapon, why would I be? Why would you be? Do you have a deep seated desire to control your fellow citizens lives?

NigelUno wrote:Nuclear? Got any stats on how many Americans have been murdered with nuclear weapons? Or missiles? Surface to air stuff? Or just like a run of the mill regular missile? Those OK?
Are we counting the government? If so, I'd say more than a few were sacrificed early in the nuclear program. Many more than have died by automatic weapons. I'm good with missiles, again when owned by law abiding citizens where's the danger?

NigelUno wrote:Land mines? Tanks? You good with all that too? .
Actually I have a neighbor that collects tanks, that fact doesn't worry me a bit. In addition to tanks he collect artillery pieces like you see occasionally on Pawn Stars. I actually brought him a mountain howitzer from Onacock, VA a few years back. Guess what? He's never killed or endangered anyone, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. You should have a beer with him sometime.

NigelUno wrote:Why did the shooters in Cali not use standard hunting guns? I think you skipped that one.
I didn't skip it on purpose, I didn't see it. I have no idea, but I'll take a guess and thank god for the victims. My guess is that they were idiots on guns and fell for the "assault weapon" hype just like you. They thought they were buying the most lethal guns out there and fucked up by buying .22's or .223s. Because of that stupidity people are alive today.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-03, 23:32

NigelUno wrote:Goose? You never answered my question on the Syrian refugees. Are you OK with them coming to the US?

In general no. Let the other middle east countries absorb them. There is no way in the world we can "vet" the numbers they want to let in. There's a hell of a lot more danger there than in automatic weapons or "assault weapons".
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-03, 23:33

What weapons (guns) would you NOT want someone to have if they wanted to kill a lot of people in a limited amount of time?

Not deflecting but if you want a specific answer give me a specific scenario. Office building? Outside with distances involved? Stadium? Where is this happening?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-03, 23:34

LooseGoose wrote:

No, I understand that. But do we care to guess how many times that first one has been posted on various forums to prove to idiots that guns in general aren't an issue? Probably a lot. Probably followed with a lot of "we should ban knives!" Stuff immediately after.

Want to take a crack at my question there?  People are demanding I answer.   Why the press/politicians focus on rifles?

PS I'm sorry, I missed you did take a crack at this.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:35

LooseGoose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Goose? You never answered my question on the Syrian refugees. Are you OK with them coming to the US?

In general no. Let the other middle east countries absorb them. There is no way in the world we can "vet" the numbers they want to let in. There's a hell of a lot more danger there than in automatic weapons or "assault weapons".

Interesting.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-03, 23:36

LooseGoose wrote:

Want to take a crack at my question there?  People are demanding I answer.   Why the press/politicians focus on rifles?

I dunno. I've never really done that myself. I recognize that the difference between an AR 15 and a handgun is that one looks scarier. They are both quite capable of killing you.

But, that first picture you posted is ridiculous misdirection. You know it is.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:41

LooseGoose wrote:

Not deflecting but if you want a specific answer give me a specific scenario. Office building? Outside with distances involved? Stadium? Where is this happening?

A scenario where you would want to get off multiple shots as quickly as possible in a large group of people...wounding and killing as many as you could. Say...like a fear of mass killing by terrorists for example...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2015-12-03, 23:42

LooseGoose wrote:

I dunno. I've never really done that myself. I recognize that the difference between an AR 15 and a handgun is that one looks scarier. They are both quite capable of killing you.

This is true. Any weapon capable of even a moderately low sustained rate of fire is an assault weapon. Rifle or otherwise.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-12-03, 23:45

Gomer wrote:

This is true. Any weapon capable of even a moderately low sustained rate of fire is an assault weapon. Rifle or otherwise.

I modified my paintball gun to be fully automatic.

Fuck.....

Last edited by xsanguine on 2015-12-03, 23:53; edited 1 time in total
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-03, 23:46

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:But, that first picture you posted is ridiculous misdirection. You know it is.

Jeezus Christ, I said it was the best I could find in a hurry.   Here's what I wanted and couldn't find so I just uploaded it myself.

Your Weekly Mass Shooting - Page 12 PXFM4dx

Feel better? Are rifles still WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down the list?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2015-12-03, 23:47

There should be a law prohibiting Aaron Rodgers from possessing that gun of his.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-03, 23:47

NigelUno wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

A scenario where you would want to get off multiple shots as quickly as possible in a large group of people...wounding and killing as many as you could. Say...like a fear of mass killing by terrorists for example...

Asking again - where is the large group of people? Inside, outside, both?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:49

tTy wrote:There should be a law prohibiting Aaron Rodgers from possessing that gun of his.

Facemask. Your Weekly Mass Shooting - Page 12 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-12-03, 23:50

NigelUno wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Atom bomb.

Oh. I hope there's a law against that...unless it infringes on someone's rights.  

Technical expertise and cost to create and maintain are what keep most (all) people from being able to have one. F16's and Navy destroyers aren't on 99% of the population's realistic wishlist for the same reason.

Heroin is far more illegal than firearms, here and worldwide... you can still find that in any town, big or small, in America.

Last edited by xsanguine on 2015-12-03, 23:51; edited 1 time in total
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-12-03, 23:50

tTy wrote:There should be a law prohibiting Charlie Sheen from possessing that gun of his.

Fixed for ya, Ty.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-03, 23:51

LooseGoose wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:But, that first picture you posted is ridiculous misdirection. You know it is.

Jeezus Christ, I said it was the best I could find in a hurry.   Here's what I wanted and couldn't find so I just uploaded it myself.

Your Weekly Mass Shooting - Page 12 PXFM4dx

Feel better? Are rifles still WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down the list?

I wasn't arguing that. Try to refrain from posting memes meant to incite the gun owning masses that imply that there are more knife murders than there are gun ones. We know that's not true.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2015-12-03, 23:52

xsanguine wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Technical expertise and cost to create and maintain are what keep most people from being able to have one.

Heroin is far more illegal than firearms, here and worldwide... you can still find that in any town, big or small, in America.

So now you are playing the "laws are broken therefore we should not have laws" card. Correct?
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:54

LooseGoose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

A scenario where you would want to get off multiple shots as quickly as possible in a large group of people...wounding and killing as many as you could.  Say...like a fear of mass killing by terrorists for example...

Asking again - where is the large group of people?  Inside, outside, both?

Geezuz.  You are a fucking weird dude.

You're OK with people having nuclear weapons.  This is kind of pointless.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-12-03, 23:56

Gomer wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Technical expertise and cost to create and maintain are what keep most people from being able to have one.

So now you are playing the "laws are broken therefore we should not have laws" card. Correct?

Nah, just that they don't work and in many cases make the problem worse while making criminals out of people that aren't committing crimes, just breaking the law.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:58

xsanguine wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Technical expertise and cost to create and maintain are what keep most (all) people from being able to have one. F16's and Navy destroyers aren't on 99% of the population's realistic wishlist for the same reason.

Oh. So supply and demand analysis? Price...quantity...got it. Let the market dictate.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-03, 23:58

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I wasn't arguing that. Try to refrain from posting memes meant to incite the gun owning masses that imply that there are more knife murders than there are gun ones. We know that's not true.

Again you miss the point.   We've had Nigel/etc on here for hours and hours wanting to ban those vicious "assault rifles" because they've swallowed the narrative of how dangerous they are in the public's hands.   They would call me a liar if I told them that in 2013 rifles were used in less than 300 murders in the entire country for the whole year.  Of course the FBI table might help convince them that I'm not lying.

The point of that chart is to show them that ALL rifles are involved in 1/5 the murders of knives, 1/2 the murders of blunt objects, and 1/2 to 1/3 the murders done by fists or feet.  Their political leaders and the press are showing them a shiny object over here to distract them or whip them into a frenzy over rifles.  Why?

And PS - There ARE more knife murders than there are rifle murders.

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2015-12-03, 23:59; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-12-03, 23:59

xsanguine wrote:
Gomer wrote:

Nah, just that they don't work and in many cases make the problem worse while making criminals out of people that aren't committing crimes, just breaking the law.

That applies to nuclear weapons and destroyers?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2015-12-03, 23:59

xsanguine wrote:
Gomer wrote:

Right. You're saying that laws, as a social construct, are a waste of time and effort; "laws don't work"
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-04, 00:00

LooseGoose wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I wasn't arguing that. Try to refrain from posting memes meant to incite the gun owning masses that imply that there are more knife murders than there are gun ones. We know that's not true.

Again you miss the point.   We've had Nigel/etc on here for hours and hours wanting to ban those vicious "assault rifles" because they've swallowed the narrative of how dangerous they are in the public's hands.   They would call me a liar if I told them that in 2013 rifles were used in less than 300 murders in the entire country for the whole year.  Of course the FBI table might help convince them that I'm not lying.

The point of that chart is to show them that ALL rifles are involved in 1/5 the murders of knives, 1/2 the murders of blunt objects, and 1/2 to 1/3 the murders done by fists or feet.  Their political leaders and the press are showing them a shiny object over here to distract them or whip them into a frenzy over rifles.  Why?

And PS - There ARE more knife murders than there are rifle murders.

If you had just left it with the second picture I wouldn't have said a peep.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next