Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread

+25
Herbie Green
The_Dude
Cameron
SpartanInNH
NigelUno
CORNER BLITZ
WhiteBoyHatcher
Giant Moose
Tim Wakefield
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
Code_Warrior
Heat Miser
AMwood
MiamiSpartan
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
DoogieHouser
Robert J Sakimano
Blanch32
GRR Spartan
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Rocinante
Triple Sparty
29 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-12-07, 12:55

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:wow - that's awesome.. how long has their been a Final Four and a CFB playoff?

GO GREEN!!

Two years, and it only took us that long to do it.

Schools like Duke, Kentucky in basketball and Bama, FSU, Clemson in football are like the guy at your gym that skips leg day. He walks out of the gym with a big upper body on two noodle legs.

MSU doesn't skip leg day. We're fat free gluton free, everything free. We are everything you want to be in the gym Bob. Except we don't ride our bike. We drive our big truck there with a rifle in the back window and a sticker on the bumper that says "Merica"
so we're something more than free? Awesome.. The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread - Page 2 3493939353

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-12-07, 12:56

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:wow - that's awesome.. how long has their been a Final Four and a CFB playoff?

GO GREEN!!

Shut up Bob.

The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-12-07, 13:16

DoogieHouser wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

That certainly made a difference. Saban left when the hardest part of his job was over, so who knows what he might have done?

Agree. MSU would have been a Big Ten contender year-in and year-out. Instead, Bobby collapsed the program, and JLS eviscerated the physicality, running game, defense, etc.
I don't think we would have. We lost a lot of talent in 2000. I don't say that to defend BW, but it's the reality.

Here's the thing with Saban. He is a great coach....WHEN he has great talent. Even in 99 he had about 20 players that would earn NFL paychecks. He had even more than that in 98 and was horribly inconsistent. The only other place he coached that he had anything less than great talent was the Dolphins and he bolted after a mediocre year to get back to where he could dominate the talent pool. LSU, though bad when he got there, had talent. It's one of the most talent-rich states per capita. Bama is Bama. Big name, big recruiting base.

I think it's far from a guarantee that Saban would be anywhere near as successful as MD at MSU. That's not really a shot at Saban's ability, but a lot of what you read/see/hear about him is how much he expects his players to be able to do physically in order to run his system. It takes elite athletes (or at least better than his opposition) to do what he wants, and that makes sense when you see what he's done (or not done) at various stops. Dantonio's teams have consistently beaten teams that are more talented on paper due to heart, desire, metal toughness, etc.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2015-12-07, 13:31

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Joe Rexrode ‏@joerexrode  27m27 minutes ago East Lansing, MI
Nick Saban on Mark Dantonio at MSU: "He's certainly done a better job than I ever did there, I'll tell you that."
what a f**king jerk..

GO GREEN!!

this made me chortle.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-12-07, 13:32

AMwood wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
what a f**king jerk..

GO GREEN!!

this made me chortle.
The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-07, 14:06

Tom Dienhart ranks every 2015-16 bowl game, from 1 to 40
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-12-07, 17:53

LooseGoose wrote:Tom Dienhart ranks every 2015-16 bowl game, from 1 to 40

No bias there Dienhart? Doogie taking it to the house. My top 10:

1) Capital One Orange Bowl (Dec. 31). Clemson vs. Oklahoma
2) Battlefrog Fiesta Bowl (Jan. 1). Ohio State vs. Notre Dame.
3) Valero Alamo Bowl (Jan. 2). TCU vs. Oregon.
4) Goodyear Cotton Bowl (Dec. 31). Alabama vs. Michigan State
5) Allstate Sugar Bowl (Jan. 1). Ole Miss vs. Oklahoma State
6) Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl (Dec. 19). BYU vs. Utah
7) Birmingham Bowl (Dec. 30) Memphis vs. Auburn.
8) Hyundai Sun Bowl (Dec. 26) Miami vs. Washington State
9) New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Dec. 26). Indiana vs. Duke
10) Military Bowl (Dec. 28). Pitt vs. Navy
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-12-07, 18:09

2015-2016 college football bowl watchability rankings, according to the numbers

The hell with Dienhart. SBNation ranks Cotton #1.

The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread - Page 2 Captur10
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-12-07, 18:13

The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread - Page 2 CVqJFn_VEAA7vTM

We're going to win so much.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-07, 19:36

The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread - Page 2 CVk9H8aUEAAKA8D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-12-08, 07:29

Flipping the Field: Which team has the most momentum entering the College Football Playoff?

But with all due respect to the Tigers and the Tide, no single series of plays was more impressive or delivered more postseason promise than the tractor pull exhibition that closed out the Big Ten championship game.

It was ballet as performed by monster truck.

Tractor pull. The best description of The Drive that I've seen.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-12-08, 07:31

LooseGoose wrote:The Month long lead up to the Cotton Bowl Thread - Page 2 CVk9H8aUEAAKA8D
I LIKE THAT!!!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-08, 09:19

MSU FB Pendleton hobbled, but crucial in key drive

It was fair to wonder. A week earlier, Pendleton suffered a Grade 2 tear of the medial collateral ligament in the knee, said his brother, Jerrod Pendleton.

That’s an injury that typically requires weeks to heal. Pendleton hardly practiced in preparation for MSU’s 16-13 Big Ten championship win over Iowa to earn a College Football Playoff matchup with No. 2 Alabama. He was a game-time decision and had to wear a brace, but he was determined to play.

And he was all over the 22-play, 82-yard drive that won the game for the No. 3 Spartans (12-1), including a key block on Scott’s 1-yard touchdown run with 27 seconds left. Pendleton’s performance through pain and limited lateral movement belongs in the MSU history books along with the drive itself.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-12-08, 11:18

Michigan State has 'no secrets' about championship aspirations

During the team’s summer workouts the goal of winning a national championship was raised on nearly a daily basis. Perhaps that was enough work to win a Cotton Bowl or a Rose Bowl, the veterans would tell each other, but they needed to stay a little longer to get to the next step. Whether they were finishing wind sprints or relaxing with video games, title talk was never far from their lips.

When training camp opened in August, head coach Mark Dantonio said explicitly and unprompted that this year’s goal was reaching the playoff. His players followed suit.

See? It's good to set goals.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-08, 11:49

Floyd Robertson wrote:Michigan State has 'no secrets' about championship aspirations

During the team’s summer workouts the goal of winning a national championship was raised on nearly a daily basis. Perhaps that was enough work to win a Cotton Bowl or a Rose Bowl, the veterans would tell each other, but they needed to stay a little longer to get to the next step. Whether they were finishing wind sprints or relaxing with video games, title talk was never far from their lips.

When training camp opened in August, head coach Mark Dantonio said explicitly and unprompted that this year’s goal was reaching the playoff. His players followed suit.

See? It's good to set goals.

You need to have a father/son talk with OTPT.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-08, 12:57

The best of the bowls: Ranking 1-40

Cotton #1
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-12-08, 13:04

What actually happened between Connor Cook and Archie Griffin
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-12-08, 13:34

Izzo had not been at Dantonio’s season finale with Penn State because the basketball team was in the Wooden Legacy in California; only the fourth home football game he has missed in 32 years.
Shocked

How Tom Izzo, Mark Dantonio created Michigan State's winning climate
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-12-08, 13:40

LooseGoose wrote:The best of the bowls: Ranking 1-40

Cotton #1
very much looking forward to this match up.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-12-08, 15:25

Welp, I won't be watching the game live. Our best friends have decided to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary on New Year's Eve at Flemings and invited us to go. He asked me what I was doing on New Year's, and I told him that I was watching MSU-Alabama, and he was like "oh" and a bit dejected, because he knows how important that game is to me and he forgot about it because he's not a big football fan. I asked him what was up and he told me what they wanted to do, and I told him that I'm in. I may never see MSU in this game again, but my Friends have to take priority because their 25th only happens once and since they were married on New Year's Eve, it is what it is. I'll DVR the game and I probably won't even go into the bubble, since that usually works out badly anyway. Oh well. I hope the winning mojo flows through Flemings. I hope the sacrifice is looked upon favorably by God.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-12-08, 15:28

Code_Warrior wrote:Welp, I won't be watching the game live. Our best friends have decided to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary on New Year's Eve at Flemings and invited us to go. He asked me what I was doing on New Year's, and I told him that I was watching MSU-Alabama, and he was like "oh" and a bit dejected, because he knows how important that game is to me and he forgot about it because he's not a big football fan. I asked him what was up and he told me what they wanted to do, and I told him that I'm in. I may never see MSU in this game again, but my Friends have to take priority because their 25th only happens once and since they were married on New Year's Eve, it is what it is. I'll DVR the game and I probably won't even go into the bubble, since that usually works out badly anyway. Oh well. I hope the winning mojo flows through Flemings. I hope the sacrifice is looked upon favorably by God.
I hope that you find comfort in knowing that I won't be able to watch it, either.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-12-08, 15:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:Welp, I won't be watching the game live. Our best friends have decided to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary on New Year's Eve at Flemings and invited us to go. He asked me what I was doing on New Year's, and I told him that I was watching MSU-Alabama, and he was like "oh" and a bit dejected, because he knows how important that game is to me and he forgot about it because he's not a big football fan. I asked him what was up and he told me what they wanted to do, and I told him that I'm in. I may never see MSU in this game again, but my Friends have to take priority because their 25th only happens once and since they were married on New Year's Eve, it is what it is. I'll DVR the game and I probably won't even go into the bubble, since that usually works out badly anyway. Oh well. I hope the winning mojo flows through Flemings. I hope the sacrifice is looked upon favorably by God.
I hope that you find comfort in knowing that I won't be able to watch it, either.

I never take comfort in anyone's pain except SCum fans, and then, I only take comfort in their sports program failures, not their personal lives.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-12-08, 15:51

Code_Warrior wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I hope that you find comfort in knowing that I won't be able to watch it, either.

I never take comfort in anyone's pain except SCum fans, and then, I only take comfort in their sports program failures, not their personal lives.
keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-08, 16:20

MSU's RJ Williamson pumped to return for playoff game
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-12-08, 16:25

LooseGoose wrote:MSU's RJ Williamson pumped to return for playoff game

Boom. That's huge.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-12-08, 16:45

It sucks to do that, but I understand. Good for you. Have fun and enjoy. Also buy a backup battery and stream the game.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-12-08, 16:47

InTenSity wrote:
It sucks to do that, but I understand. Good for you. Have fun and enjoy. Also buy a backup battery and stream the game.

My fucking brother got married on New Years Eve, 1999. Fucking selfish fuck.

No goddamn way I'm missing this game.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-08, 17:06

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 7m7 minutes ago
No. 3 Michigan State vs. No. 2 Alabama
TV: Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Heather Cox
Radio: Brad Sham, Danny Kanell, Ian Fitzsimmons.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-12-08, 17:21

Rocinante wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

I know right? I mean, the nerve of some people getting married during prime college football bowl season. I just don't get it. Yeah, it's cute to have an anniversary on New Year's Eve until fucking MSU-Alabama happens and their cute little anniversary destroys lives. Some people just don't think about the impact they have on college football fans. This isn't Vietnam damnit! There are rules!
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-12-08, 17:25

If it's any consolation, my anniversary is Dec 17. Oh that's right no football and usually only shitty basketball games.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-12-08, 17:29

Code_Warrior wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I know right? I mean, the nerve of some people getting married during prime college football bowl season. I just don't get it. Yeah, it's cute to have an anniversary on New Year's Eve until fucking MSU-Alabama happens and their cute little anniversary destroys lives. Some people just don't think about the impact they have on college football fans. This isn't Vietnam damnit! There are rules!

RULES are simple. There are three seasons and they are Dantonio, Izzo and the third season or days after Izzo but before Dantino. Do selfish stuff in the third season.

Kidding aside, I applaud you supporting your friends.

Last edited by Floyd Robertson on 2015-12-08, 17:30; edited 1 time in total
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2015-12-08, 17:30

Anyone think both teams could possible wear home uniforms? I'd like to see us in the all-greens and Bama in their red jerseys.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-12-08, 17:39

InTenSity wrote:If it's any consolation, my anniversary is Dec 17. Oh that's right no football and usually only shitty basketball games.
Now that's some good planning! Damn fine Job! You've got a damn fine woman there agreeing to plan for such an obviously perfect break time in the college football season. You keep that fine woman and never let her go.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-12-08, 17:43

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:

RULES are simple. There are three seasons and they are Dantonio, Izzo and the third season or days after Izzo but before Dantino. Do selfish stuff in the third season.

Kidding aside, I applaud you supporting your friends.

Aw shucks. Now I'm all thankful and bashful and embarrassed and stuff.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-12-08, 18:10

Code_Warrior wrote:
InTenSity wrote:If it's any consolation, my anniversary is Dec 17. Oh that's right no football and usually only shitty basketball games.
Now that's some good planning! Damn fine Job! You've got a damn fine woman there agreeing to plan for such an obviously perfect break time in the college football season. You keep that fine woman and never let her go.
Believe me, I'm still not sure why she married me, but I'm a lucky sob.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-08, 18:14

You guys, slow your roll here. Can we stop talking about wedding dates and talk about the fact that this is someone's wedding anniversary? Is that really something you HAVE to be at? I get their wedding itself.. But after that day if you have other plans that's not your problem.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-12-08, 18:15

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You guys, slow your roll here. Can we stop talking about wedding dates and talk about the fact that this is someone's wedding anniversary? Is that really something you HAVE to be at? I get their wedding itself.. But after that day if you have other plans that's not your problem.

I'm with this guy. Fuck that noise.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-08, 18:16

Lets get the ball rolling on these changes before we need to be in peak performance for the Cotton Bowl
#MakeTSwillGreatAgain
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-12-08, 18:27

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You guys, slow your roll here. Can we stop talking about wedding dates and talk about the fact that this is someone's wedding anniversary? Is that really something you HAVE to be at? I get their wedding itself.. But after that day if you have other plans that's not your problem.
I know you're an awesome space alien and stuff, but this isn't Vietnam and wedding anniversaries divisible by 25 are literally illegal to ignore. You can be put in prison for that. I'm super serial.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-08, 18:31

Code_Warrior wrote:
I know you're an awesome space alien and stuff, but this isn't Vietnam and wedding anniversaries divisible by 25 are literally illegal to ignore. You can be put in prison for that. I'm super serial.

I skipped a wedding to go to the Oregon game. #thread
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next