Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will the Supreme Court dismantle public sector unions?

3 posters

Go down

Will the Supreme Court dismantle public sector unions? Empty Will the Supreme Court dismantle public sector unions?

Post by Turtleneck Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:38 pm

I imagine DWags will have something to say about this. Maybe not. I understand the points made by the plaintiffs and am somewhat sympathetic. However, it seems like this opens the door to some serious free-riding.

Also, the guy in the picture who originally brought the suit is wearing khaki cargo pants. Not only could he not be bothered to dress nice for a NYT article, he decided to wear khaki cargo pants. I kind of hate him for that alone.

FRESNO, Calif. — Harlan Elrich is a high school teacher in California, and that means he must pay about $970 a year to a labor union. He teaches math, and he said the system did not add up.

“I get to choose what movie I want to go see,” Mr. Elrich said. “I get to choose what church I want to go to. I get to choose what gym I want to join.”

He should have the same choice, he said, about whether to support a union.

Mr. Elrich and nine other California teachers have sued the union, saying that they are being forced to pay to support positions with which they disagree, in violation of the First Amendment. Their lawsuit, if it is successful, will be the culmination of a decades-long legal campaign to undermine public unions.

And there is good reason to think they will win. The Supreme Court, which will hear arguments in the case on Monday, has twice suggested that the First Amendment bars forcing government workers to make payments to unions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/us/politics/union-fees-friedrichs-v-california-teachers-association.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Will the Supreme Court dismantle public sector unions? Empty Re: Will the Supreme Court dismantle public sector unions?

Post by Turtleneck Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:32 pm

....hmmmmm....
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Will the Supreme Court dismantle public sector unions? Empty Re: Will the Supreme Court dismantle public sector unions?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Should have just posted this on the main board.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Should have just posted this on the main board.

Move it.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Should have just posted this on the main board.

Move it.

I'm not a rod on this board - Cym Jim would have to do it. Sorry buddy.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Oh well. Too bad. Somebody will eventually start a thread about the same topic on the Main Board. Probably tGreenway.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:31 am

4-4 decision delivered today. Lower court decision stands. Scalia's death very much so impacted this decision.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/friedrichs-supreme-court-decision/470103/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:40 pm

This will come up again when there is a full court.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Even FDR knew public sector unions were a bad idea.

Did FDR oppose collective bargaining for government workers?

Reaction was swift and strong after Republican Gov. Scott Walker said the curbs he enacted on the collective-bargaining power of public-employee unions were philosophically in line with principles espoused by President Franklin Roosevelt, the liberal Democratic icon.

Walker drew the comparison in a July 29, 2013 speech at the Governmental Research Association policy conference hosted by Milwaukee’s Public Policy Forum.

The governor, whose Act 10 law wiped away most subjects of bargaining for most public unions and shifted more pension and health-care costs to workers, argued the changes helped balance government budgets and made merit more important than teacher seniority in schools.

"We think it has a dynamic impact going forward on how we perform, and that is putting power in the hands of the people duly elected at the state and at the local level," Walker said.

"It’s why -- some people are surprised to know this -- the position I pushed is not unlike the principle that Franklin Delano Roosevelt, not exactly a conservative, pushed as well when it came to public sector collective bargaining," Walker added. "He felt that there wasn't a need -- and others like him, (former New York Mayor Fiorello) LaGuardia and others -- felt there wasn’t a need in the public sector to have collective bargaining because the government is the people. We are the people."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:15 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Even FDR knew public sector unions were a bad idea.

Did FDR oppose collective bargaining for government workers?

Reaction was swift and strong after Republican Gov. Scott Walker said the curbs he enacted on the collective-bargaining power of public-employee unions were philosophically in line with principles espoused by President Franklin Roosevelt, the liberal Democratic icon.

Walker drew the comparison in a July 29, 2013 speech at the Governmental Research Association policy conference hosted by Milwaukee’s Public Policy Forum.

The governor, whose Act 10 law wiped away most subjects of bargaining for most public unions and shifted more pension and health-care costs to workers, argued the changes helped balance government budgets and made merit more important than teacher seniority in schools.

"We think it has a dynamic impact going forward on how we perform, and that is putting power in the hands of the people duly elected at the state and at the local level," Walker said.

"It’s why -- some people are surprised to know this -- the position I pushed is not unlike the principle that Franklin Delano Roosevelt, not exactly a conservative, pushed as well when it came to public sector collective bargaining," Walker added. "He felt that there wasn't a need -- and others like him, (former New York Mayor Fiorello) LaGuardia and others -- felt there wasn’t a need in the public sector to have collective bargaining because the government is the people. We are the people."

Workers are not "the people". The people are the ones that hire them to perform a needed service. There is still a contract that should be agreed upon so that the best workers can be had at the best cost. That is achieved by negotiation. Not through dictating what people will be compensated at the whims of an administration. Unless you want the dregs of society working in your government, enforceable compensation negotiation should be part of the public sector, just like it is part of the private sector.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down