Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cord Cutting or not?

+32
The Pantry
GRR Spartan
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
Pervis Muldoon
Trapper Gus
CORNER BLITZ
AvgMSUJoe
Travis of the Cosmos
MiamiSpartan
I.B. Fine
By-Tor
Cameron
Heat Miser
Senior Dickfist
Robert J Sakimano
InTenSity
Three_Putt_Par
AnomanderRake
xsanguine
aualum06
StylesGShmooth
Other Teams Pursuing That
Gomer
steveschneider
Dr. Strangelove
Death Roe
DWags
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
Giant Moose
36 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Cord Cutting or not? - Page 4 Empty Re: Cord Cutting or not?

Post by DWags 2019-09-26, 23:45

Best I can figure is I want more and more of you guys to get this cord cutting shit going. I just dropped my bill with Comcast by 80 dollars a month, and all I had to get rid of was WGN. I don't know how or why it went so cheap, but I figure it has something to do with you guys. Maybe not, but shit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-09-26, 23:52

Roku Ultra and Fire Sticks.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-09-26, 23:59

DWags wrote:Best I can figure is I want more and more of you guys to get this cord cutting shit going. I just dropped my bill with Comcast by 80 dollars a month, and all I had to get rid of was WGN. I don't know how or why it went so cheap, but I figure it has something to do with you guys. Maybe not, but shit.

Probably. I'm sure I coulda got a deal from DirecTV, but I just didn't want to play that game. A week ago, cord cutting wasn't on my radar. YouTube sold me.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-09-27, 00:04

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:Best I can figure is I want more and more of you guys to get this cord cutting shit going. I just dropped my bill with Comcast by 80 dollars a month, and all I had to get rid of was WGN. I don't know how or why it went so cheap, but I figure it has something to do with you guys. Maybe not, but shit.

Probably. I'm sure I coulda got a deal from DirecTV, but I just didn't want to play that game. A week ago, cord cutting wasn't on my radar. YouTube sold me.

Couple we wer ein TC with has that youtube t.v., she's a huge Spartan. Had the game on her phone during the wine tour. I have that app where hyou're supposed to get hyour t.v. on hour phone with xfinithy. Had a message, "we're sorry but w have a contract issue with where you're at". So, I'd rate Youtube t.v. the winner in TC during the wine tour.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-09-27, 00:32

It completely depends on your TV watching habits. What channels you want, etc. Some of these streaming services carry some, others do not. Sort out what you want, and if you're lucky and we're drunk, we'll help.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-09-27, 05:26

I don’t think you can stream locals on xfinity or spectrums mobile apps unless you’re on your home wifi. When MSU is on FS1, BTN, espn, etc I can stream it. They were on fox local last week so I had to watch my kids gymnastics for an hour lol.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-09-27, 06:58

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:It completely depends on your TV watching habits. What channels you want, etc. Some of these streaming services carry some, others do not. Sort out what you want, and if you're lucky and we're drunk, we'll help.

It's all about internet connection to me and mines not quite good enough
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-09-27, 09:01

I'm assuming they make way more money off of just selling internet access. They don't have to fork over money to ESPN or Disney or any of the others.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2019-09-27, 10:53

Just told Dish and their squabbles with HBO & Fox to fuck right off. I'm a free agent. Testing YouTubeTV this weekend. Hulu also an option.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-09-27, 11:36

I didn't try Hulu/Sling. The main difference from what I can tell is Hulu/Sling don't have all the locals but it have more of the cable channels (History, A&E, Lifetime, etc.). I don't really care about the later and locals are a must have.  Can't speak to Hulu's interface. But YTTV is really good. Mobile app is amazing. Only negative is lack of channel surfing, last channel, etc. I've had no issues with the stream.

Anyone running YTTV direct from the app on their smart TV? Curious if it is any different than the roku box for channel surfing.

Edit: Hulu has all the local channels

Last edited by Nordic on 2019-09-27, 13:03; edited 2 times in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-09-27, 11:37

About 6 months ago, I bought another FireTV stick, the new 4k one and immediately saw a difference. I have FireTV on my main TV and then a roku on the other. Should I buy a new Roku stick? Some of the channels I watch are starting to freeze up with video, while the audio continues. When I check the connection everything comes back ok. If I reset the Roku and go back, then it works fine as well.
Any idea's?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-09-27, 12:01

I got a Roku Ultra and it is worlds better and faster than the older shitty one my kids use upstairs.

Also I could not download YTTV on the older ones, I found that to be a real issue upon googling. Some of the older versions don't support the newer apps in the channel store.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-09-27, 12:06

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I got a Roku Ultra and it is worlds better and faster than the older shitty one my kids use upstairs.

Also I could not download YTTV on the older ones, I found that to be a real issue upon googling. Some of the older versions don't support the newer apps in the channel store.

I got the Stick, no issues. Just ordered the Ultra for my main TV.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-09-27, 12:10

Nordic wrote:I didn't try Hulu/Sling. The main difference from what I can tell is Hulu/Sling don't have all the locals but it have more of the cable channels (History, A&E, Lifetime, etc.). I don't really care about the later and locals are a must have. Can't speak to Hulu's interface. But YTTV is really good. Mobile app is amazing. Only negative is lack of channel surfing, last channel, etc. I've had no issues with the stream.

Anyone running YTTV direct from the app on their smart TV? Curious if it is any different than the roku box for channel surfing.

We're in the same TV market and I have every local channel on Hulu live except maybe WADL from Mt Clemens and CBC. The only thing I miss on Hulu is AMC. I don't think YT had any local channels when I checked 20 months ago, things move fast I guess.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-09-27, 12:18

Do you guys use antennae's? I like the quality on those better, I guess its just harder to record if I need to.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-09-27, 12:33

InTenSity wrote:Do you guys use antennae's? I like the quality on those better, I guess its just harder to record if I need to.

Negative. Streams from YTTV.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-09-27, 12:38

Nordic wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Do you guys use antennae's? I like the quality on those better, I guess its just harder to record if I need to.

I'm not sure where you live, but antennae's are great. Although I guess I get about 30-40 channels OTA, most of them suck, but I do get CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX. For sports you get the live feed, so no real delay. The picture is much clearer than the 720p HD that cable has and streaming is almost 90 seconds delay.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-09-27, 13:02

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Nordic wrote:I didn't try Hulu/Sling. The main difference from what I can tell is Hulu/Sling don't have all the locals but it have more of the cable channels (History, A&E, Lifetime, etc.). I don't really care about the later and locals are a must have.  Can't speak to Hulu's interface. But YTTV is really good. Mobile app is amazing. Only negative is lack of channel surfing, last channel, etc. I've had no issues with the stream.

We're in the same TV market and I have every local channel on Hulu live except maybe WADL from Mt Clemens and CBC. The only thing I miss on Hulu is AMC. I don't think YT had any local channels when I checked 20 months ago, things move fast I guess.

I stand corrected. Looks like it is just Sling that is missing ABC & CBS. Channel lineup comparison:

https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-now-vs-youtube-tv-vs-sling-tv-vs-hulu-and-more-live-tv-channels-compared/

I should probably test drive Hulu, but I'm inherently lazy when it comes to this stuff.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-09-27, 13:14

InTenSity wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I'm not sure where you live, but antennae's are great. Although I guess I get about 30-40 channels OTA, most of them suck, but I do get CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX. For sports you get the live feed, so no real delay. The picture is much clearer than the 720p HD that cable has and streaming is almost 90 seconds delay.

I'm in the boonies. I've tried some portable antennas that I use for tailgating at the house with limited results. I also hate switching back forth between inputs. One stop shopping is more my speed.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-09-27, 13:26

Nordic wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I stand corrected. Looks like it is just Sling that is missing ABC & CBS. Channel lineup comparison:

https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-now-vs-youtube-tv-vs-sling-tv-vs-hulu-and-more-live-tv-channels-compared/

I should probably test drive Hulu, but I'm inherently lazy when it comes to this stuff.

My white trash Vizio smart TV doesn't have an embedded Hulu app despite being only three years old, so I access Hulu through the Fire TV. If there's anything that bothers me about Hulu, it's the terrible UI on Fire TV.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-27, 16:07

You guys are making my brain itch with all these options. This is why I’m willing to overpay comcrap, because it’s all there. I don’t have time or patience to try this stick or that to see what each has. I stream Prime and Netflix and I’m fat and happy. Plus, it leaves me with copious amounts of time to waste on tSwill.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-09-27, 16:25

I'm intrigued by Youtube TV and Hulu live, but I worry I would only end up using them for sports, and I can generally stream that stuff for free. Maybe it would boost my karma, but I care more about my wallet.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-09-27, 19:26

tGreenWay wrote:You guys are making my brain itch with all these options. This is why I’m willing to overpay comcrap, because it’s all there. I don’t have time or patience to try this stick or that to see what each has. I stream Prime and Netflix and I’m fat and happy. Plus, it leaves me with copious amounts of time to waste on tSwill.

This was where I was and then

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-09-27, 20:40

tGreenWay wrote:You guys are making my brain itch with all these options. This is why I’m willing to overpay comcrap, because it’s all there. I don’t have time or patience to try this stick or that to see what each has. I stream Prime and Netflix and I’m fat and happy. Plus, it leaves me with copious amounts of time to waste on tSwill.

Bullshit tGreenway, you and I have a shit ton of time. I just don’t want to struggle. Although that YouTube tv seemed to please the c couple we were with this weekend.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-10-01, 20:48

PSA: The Roku Ultras currently on Amazon are the 2018 model, not 2019 (different remote). Now I have to play oregomi putting this fucking box back together to return it. Cord Cutting or not? - Page 4 1896033241

#firstworldpeopleproblems
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-10-02, 07:32

Nordic wrote:PSA: The Roku Ultras currently on Amazon are the 2018 model, not 2019 (different remote). Now I have to play oregomi putting this fucking box back together to return it. Cord Cutting or not? - Page 4 1896033241

#firstworldpeopleproblems

Just take it to Kohl's and let them worry about putting it back together.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2019-10-02, 09:02

What are you guys doing and paying for Internet? I have a TCL TV from Costco with built in Roku. Love the Roku interface way more than Amazon.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-10-02, 09:07

By-Tor wrote:What are you guys doing and paying for Internet? I have a TCL TV from Costco with built in Roku. Love the Roku interface way more than Amazon.

WOW, 500mbps, $69 a month including their stupid modem.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-10-02, 09:18

I have AT&T Fiber. 100 mbps. I'm mixed about it, also have to use their modem/router, but they don't charge 'extra' for it. I think I'm paying around $60/month. I dropped Comcast for AT&T because comcast kept going out between 7pm and 11pm a couple of nights a week. The last straw for me was being told there is no outage and it was my modem and router that were bad. 15 minutes later, I get a text or check the website on my phone and it shows there in an outage in my area.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2019-10-02, 09:25

What mbps should i be looking for? Standard suburban family of 4, 14 and 12 year olds, no pets. We go up north sometimes but we do not coordinate our outfits.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-10-02, 09:51

I would think 50-75 should be good. Are the teenagers streaming youtube all the time, or playing any games?

You should be able to run 2-3 TV's in HD with 50-75 mbps. 100 and you shouldn't have any problems. Once you get it, be sure to do speedtests during peak hours to see how it is. Peak hours are 7pm-11pm or so.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2019-10-02, 09:54

I’ll do a speed test tonight to see what I currently have and go off of that.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-10-02, 09:59

DWags wrote:

Bullshit tGreenway, you and I have a shit ton of time. I just don’t want to struggle. Although that YouTube tv seemed to please the c couple we were with this weekend.

YoutubeTV is practically basic cable plus a sports package. You get all local channels and any sports channel you need. ESPN, BTN, FS1, etc.

You can use it on 6 devices. TVs, ipads, iphones...

Unlimited DVR. I think.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-10-02, 10:08

By-Tor wrote:What are you guys doing and paying for Internet?   I have a TCL TV from Costco with built in Roku.   Love the  Roku interface way more than Amazon.  

I still have Comcast cable internet. My next move is to see if I can find alternative.  I'm currently paying $49.95/mo for 200mbps download speed and 1TB limit per month.  Internet only. I have a 12 month deal on that and will have to finagle another deal when it is up.

When I check my actual download speed on a 3rd party site it says 25mbps. Xfinity of course clocks in at 45mbps. Either way, I've had no streaming issues, which was one of my fears. When I would stream from Amazon Firestick, I could always tell the difference between streaming and cable. I can't with the current setup at all.

We'll see if I press the 1TB data plan, but we don't watch a ton of TV.

Agree on the Roku interface. The remote is nearly identical for the Amazon Firestick remote, but for whatever reason I find it easy to use. I thought I would miss the all buttons, but it hasn't been that big of a deal. Not having a last channel is the biggest downfall, but you can work around it. The DVR FWD/RWD has it's pluses and minuses. Overall I'm getting used to it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-10-02, 10:11

Floyd Robertson wrote:
By-Tor wrote:What are you guys doing and paying for Internet? I have a TCL TV from Costco with built in Roku. Love the Roku interface way more than Amazon.

WOW, 500mbps, $69 a month including their stupid modem.

The dude that sold me on Youtube is running this. My hesitation is my 20+ year old work email is tied to comcast, so I need to look into that aspect.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-10-02, 10:11

You guys sent me down a rabbit hole. I went on the wow website to see what I was paying for and how much and of course, even when you download the bill, it doesn't tell you anywhere what service you are subscribed to. So I called, and found out I was paying 80/month for what she called (and I could barely understand her, they must have moved to a call center since I talked to them last) "Tier 3" and said it was 10 down 6 up. I'm thinking that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. My speeds are plenty fast and I can stream 5-6 things simultaneously in my house with no problems on any of them, even with some of them going through a VPN.

I did a speed test and it looks like I'm 309 down, 33.3 up. So go figure. She lowered my bill to 70/month as well because I asked.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2019-10-02, 10:18

Looks like Wow is not available for me. AtT or Xfinity. Currently have xfinity so I’ll prob just stick with that if I make the move. Looks like I’ll save $100 month. I’m totally down with that. What I think we’ll miss the most is the xfinity voice remote. I just talk to it to change channels. It’s pretty sweet but not $100 month sweet
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-10-02, 10:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:You guys sent me down a rabbit hole. I went on the wow website to see what I was paying for and how much and of course, even when you download the bill, it doesn't tell you anywhere what service you are subscribed to. So I called, and found out I was paying 80/month for what she called (and I could barely understand her, they must have moved to a call center since I talked to them last) "Tier 3" and said it was 10 down 6 up. I'm thinking that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. My speeds are plenty fast and I can stream 5-6 things simultaneously in my house with no problems on any of them, even with some of them going through a VPN.

I did a speed test and it looks like I'm 309 down, 33.3 up. So go figure. She lowered my bill to 70/month as well because I asked.

It took me forever to find my info on Xfinity. Had to navigate through the cable TV bundle up sells.

Any monthly data usage restrictions?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-02, 10:26

I have Youtube TV currently but would love to dump it. It's just another way for Google to spy on you and collect data. Also, what's coming just around the corner when you watch ESPN or Big Ten tv they have shell spots that will eventually evolve to targeted advertising.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-10-02, 10:27

Nordic wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:You guys sent me down a rabbit hole. I went on the wow website to see what I was paying for and how much and of course, even when you download the bill, it doesn't tell you anywhere what service you are subscribed to. So I called, and found out I was paying 80/month for what she called (and I could barely understand her, they must have moved to a call center since I talked to them last) "Tier 3" and said it was 10 down 6 up. I'm thinking that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. My speeds are plenty fast and I can stream 5-6 things simultaneously in my house with no problems on any of them, even with some of them going through a VPN.

It took me forever to find my info on Xfinity. Had to navigate through the cable TV bundle up sells.

Any monthly data usage restrictions?

I don't believe so.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next