Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cord Cutting or not?

+32
The Pantry
GRR Spartan
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
Pervis Muldoon
Trapper Gus
CORNER BLITZ
AvgMSUJoe
Travis of the Cosmos
MiamiSpartan
I.B. Fine
By-Tor
Cameron
Heat Miser
Senior Dickfist
Robert J Sakimano
InTenSity
Three_Putt_Par
AnomanderRake
xsanguine
aualum06
StylesGShmooth
Other Teams Pursuing That
Gomer
steveschneider
Dr. Strangelove
Death Roe
DWags
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
Giant Moose
36 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Cord Cutting or not? - Page 6 Empty Re: Cord Cutting or not?

Post by Nordic 2020-03-06, 22:50

tGreenWay wrote:Just like last time, I’m still paying Comcast all the dollars because I don’t have the time or desire to figure out which streaming option offers which channels. There’s also my serious lack of interest in working out any math problems to save xxx dollars/month. Yeah, I pay more than you guys, but it’s worth it to me for the convenience of not having to do what you all are doing. Plus, Comcast in our area rarely goes out (knock on wood).

Just try youtubeTV for free for a month. Give it a test drive. Keep the old ride around as backup.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-03-06, 23:17

Did you guys know greenway and d wags are rich
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-03-07, 00:24

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Just like last time, I’m still paying Comcast all the dollars because I don’t have the time or desire to figure out which streaming option offers which channels. There’s also my serious lack of interest in working out any math problems to save xxx dollars/month. Yeah, I pay more than you guys, but it’s worth it to me for the convenience of not having to do what you all are doing. Plus, Comcast in our area rarely goes out (knock on wood).

Yep.  I don’t have endless expendable income.  I watch my dollars, I look for sales at Kroger.  On trips I will cook meals or sandwiches and don’t eat out every night.    I’m a sams and Costco guy.  Pay down all our cars and monthly bills try to carry zero debt on cards.  But I’ll be god damned if I try to figure that cord cut stuff out to save 125 to 150 bucks a month.  I still run my business. Keeps me working at least 5 to 8 hours a day. When I come home I want to turn the tv on and make it work for news weather sports movies entertainment without having to go to message boards to figure shit out.

I know: @ok boomer”

Fuck you all.

Dollar Tree has some deals, bro. You can buy all your hot dogs there and save some big bucks. They have Faygo too.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-03-07, 00:52

DWags wrote:

Yep. I don’t have endless expendable income. I watch my dollars, I look for sales at Kroger. On trips I will cook meals or sandwiches and don’t eat out every night. I’m a sams and Costco guy. Pay down all our cars and monthly bills try to carry zero debt on cards. But I’ll be god damned if I try to figure that cord cut stuff out to save 125 to 150 bucks a month. I still run my business. Keeps me working at least 5 to 8 hours a day. When I come home I want to turn the tv on and make it work for news weather sports movies entertainment without having to go to message boards to figure shit out.

Fuck you all.

Exactly. Costco is great for certain things, but the Kroger around here is more expensive than Meijer on pretty much everything, and there’s a bigger selection. I’ll grab a few things at Kroger once a week when I stop at the deli for Boarshead meats, but when I do a big shop for everything else, it’s Meijer and/or Costco.
We also zero out our credit card debt every month, and pay over our mortgage. We’re good with our money, and since I just want to turn on the tv when I lay my fat ass out on the sofa, I’ll pay more cuz it’s the path of least resistance.
FWIW, I also hate the combo meal boards at fast food joints. I’m hungry, so feed me, don’t make me take a multiple choice test first.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-03-07, 00:54

Nordic wrote:

Just try youtubeTV for free for a month. Give it a test drive. Keep the old ride around as backup.

Maybe I’ll do that, especially if I can watch something while I’m walking the dog or driving 90 on the Southfield Fwy at rush hour.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-03-07, 00:55

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Did you guys know greenway and d wags are rich

We just have a head start on you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-03-07, 00:59

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yep.  I don’t have endless expendable income.  I watch my dollars, I look for sales at Kroger.  On trips I will cook meals or sandwiches and don’t eat out every night.    I’m a sams and Costco guy.  Pay down all our cars and monthly bills try to carry zero debt on cards.  But I’ll be god damned if I try to figure that cord cut stuff out to save 125 to 150 bucks a month.  I still run my business. Keeps me working at least 5 to 8 hours a day. When I come home I want to turn the tv on and make it work for news weather sports movies entertainment without having to go to message boards to figure shit out.

Fuck you all.

Dollar Tree has some deals, bro. You can buy all your hot dogs there and save some big bucks. They have Faygo too.

I prefer hot dogs without the toenails and snout, thank you very much.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-03-07, 07:43

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yep. I don’t have endless expendable income. I watch my dollars, I look for sales at Kroger. On trips I will cook meals or sandwiches and don’t eat out every night. I’m a sams and Costco guy. Pay down all our cars and monthly bills try to carry zero debt on cards. But I’ll be god damned if I try to figure that cord cut stuff out to save 125 to 150 bucks a month. I still run my business. Keeps me working at least 5 to 8 hours a day. When I come home I want to turn the tv on and make it work for news weather sports movies entertainment without having to go to message boards to figure shit out.

Fuck you all.

Exactly. Costco is great for certain things, but the Kroger around here is more expensive than Meijer on pretty much everything, and there’s a bigger selection. I’ll grab a few things at Kroger once a week when I stop at the deli for Boarshead meats, but when I do a big shop for everything else, it’s Meijer and/or Costco.
We also zero out our credit card debt every month, and pay over our mortgage. We’re good with our money, and since I just want to turn on the tv when I lay my fat ass out on the sofa, I’ll pay more cuz it’s the path of least resistance.
FWIW, I also hate the combo meal boards at fast food joints. I’m hungry, so feed me, don’t make me take a multiple choice test first.

Speaking of which, ima go to Costco today. I hear they won’t be giving out samples due to the virus. Cord Cutting or not? - Page 6 1550444538
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-07, 09:00

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Speaking of which, ima go to Costco today. I hear they won’t be giving out samples due to the virus. Cord Cutting or not? - Page 6 1550444538

Costco's headquarters are located right near the outbreak in Washington. Their house brand "Kirkland" is named after Kirkland, WA, where the now infamous nursing home is located. I assume that, much like Corona beer, and this kid in my daughter's class whose last name is Corona, that everything in Costco is infected.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-07, 09:13

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Maybe I’ll do that, especially if I can watch something while I’m walking the dog or driving 90 on the Southfield Fwy at rush hour.

I'm sure your cable provider has an app that let's you do that anyway.

Not that anyone cares, but just to give my situation, cutting the cord would cost me more than I'm paying now for internet and cable. Basic cable is included in my HOA fee, whether we use it or not.

My question on the previous page that bumped this thread, was more of a professional question, regarding advertising and the extent to which cord cutters are reached.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-03-07, 09:23

Nordic wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I’ve had YouTube tv for a month or so and have really liked it for what it’s worth.

This. The mobile app is amazing. The interface is foreign at first, but I could never go back to the old way.

It's awesome for watching games when you're on the road.

And using it on 6 different devices is awesome. You can use it on different TVs in different locations (not just within your house).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-07, 10:40

Good add Nigel. I've use it when I travel as well.

It really has nothing to do with $$. I would pay double. YoutubeTV is just a superior product.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-03-07, 10:41

The only downside is that they just dropped FSD last week but that won’t matter much until the tigers pistons or red wings get any good again. Which.... well they have time to straighten it out
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-03-07, 10:47

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:The only downside is that they just dropped FSD last week but that won’t matter much until the tigers pistons or red wings get any good again. Which.... well they have time to straighten it out

Fox Sports Detroit, Fox Sports Detroit Plus will remain on YouTube TV after deal with Sinclair
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-03-07, 10:50

NigelUno wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:The only downside is that they just dropped FSD last week but that won’t matter much until the tigers pistons or red wings get any good again. Which.... well they have time to straighten it out

Fox Sports Detroit, Fox Sports Detroit Plus will remain on YouTube TV after deal with Sinclair

Oh sweet. I didn’t even check since last week
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-03-07, 10:52

Nordic wrote:Good add Nigel. I've use it when I travel as well.

It really has nothing to do with $$. I would pay double. YoutubeTV is just a superior product.

It's basically Comcast with a great sports package. You get local channels and any sports channel you'd want to watch.

If someone is paying Comcast at 2 or 3 places, they can get Youtube TV and use it at all 3. That saves a little money for hand sanitizer.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-03-07, 10:55

Can I add it and keep Comcast?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-03-07, 10:57

tGreenWay wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I prefer hot dogs without the toenails and snout, thank you very much.

Ooh, look at moneybags here with the sophisticated palate.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-03-07, 10:59

DWags wrote:

Yes.  Runs through WiFi.  

Keeping both would be redundant in my opinion. You might need Comcast for internet/WiFi though.

Last edited by NigelUno on 2020-03-07, 11:00; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-07, 11:00

DWags wrote:

Yes. Just download the app (Roku, Firestick, SmartTV, laptop, phone, etc.). At minimum you can try it on your phone. You can keep Comcast while you decide if you like it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-03-07, 11:23

Comcast and Spectrum both added streaming channels awhile back if you want to keep them as a TV provider and get rid of their cable boxes.  You get your local channels, sports depending on how much you want to add to watch channels that aren’t on their streaming channels.

Since Sony shut down PSVue, YTTV @ $55 a month is a good option to get the stuff you watch.

I had an internet issue and got a cable tech to the house.  
(turned out the neighbor had hit a buried transmission line).  He switched my old modem for an updated version) Spectrum provides them “free”.    

He saw my Roku and said he got one to test for Spectrum as part of their rollout of the streaming channel.  As an employee he gets all their stuff for free as a perk.  After 90 days he took all 3 of his cable boxes back and went with streaming because picture quality, the cable boxes were big and they use 30-35 KW per month.

He also had been in a meeting with a regional mgr in charge of maintenance who said Spectrum wants to get rid of set top cable boxes because of cost and sell you a a Roku or let you buy your own stick or use the Roku that comes installed with the TV you buy.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-07, 11:40

Highly recommend using a Roku Stick or Ultra. The Stick is more than enough. You will learn to live the simplicity of the remote.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-13, 23:31

I know Dwags and tGreenway will have the last laugh when my stream cuts out. But YoutubeTV fwd/rwd function is the GOAT. It takes some getting used to the simplicity, but going back to anything else feels impossible to use.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-14, 10:23

Comcast (and I think AT&T) are removing their data cap for 60 days.

They're also opening up their hotspots to the public, and giving any new internet sign ups for 9.95/mo for 60 days (not if you dont have cable, though), which is usually their price for low-income families.

So that might mean more people using it, but I think they have plenty of bandwidth available.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-03-14, 10:28

NigelUno wrote:

They should celebrate by replaying the entire 2000 NCAA Tournament in it's entirety.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-06-30, 22:21

YoutubeTV upp'ing their rate to 65 bucks  Cord Cutting or not? - Page 6 1550444538

Cord Cutting or not? - Page 6 4113017228 I ain't going anywhere. They could charge me a hundred. The platform is so good.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-07-01, 09:06

Nordic wrote:YoutubeTV upp'ing their rate to 65 bucks  Cord Cutting or not? - Page 6 1550444538

Cord Cutting or not? - Page 6 4113017228 I ain't going anywhere. They could charge me a hundred. The platform is so good.

Fuck, that means Hulu+Live is going to go up, too. When I started 18 months ago it was $39.99 and now it's $54.99.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-07-01, 09:22

Never left cable... wife didn't let me... Doesn't look like i would be saving much if I can talk her into it now.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-07-01, 09:52

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Nordic wrote:YoutubeTV upp'ing their rate to 65 bucks  Cord Cutting or not? - Page 6 1550444538

Fuck, that means Hulu+Live is going to go up, too. When I started 18 months ago it was $39.99 and now it's $54.99.

I'm paying $12.99 for Hulu and Disney+. Have Amazon Prime free for a year. Frontier is overcharging me $65/month for 15mbps internet service. I have an antenna for the ota stuff.

Speaking of Frontier, they want me to run a speedtest and send the results to the Feds. I'm pretty sure the only reason they want to do that is to show that they are selling subpar internet service and want a government bailout to supposedly increase the speed. eff that, they're already bankrupt, treat their customers like crap, and will be obsolete once SpaceX gets their service on line.

Oh, and my son has internet service through them, his speed is about 2 or 3 mbps. Frontier says that's the best they can do.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-07-01, 10:00

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I'm paying $12.99 for Hulu and Disney+. Have Amazon Prime free for a year. Frontier is overcharging me $65/month for 15mbps internet service. I have an antenna for the ota stuff.

Speaking of Frontier, they want me to run a speedtest and send the results to the Feds. I'm pretty sure the only reason they want to do that is to show that they are selling subpar internet service and want a government bailout to supposedly increase the speed. eff that, they're already bankrupt, treat their customers like crap, and will be obsolete once SpaceX gets their service on line.

Oh, and my son has internet service through them, his speed is about 2 or 3 mbps. Frontier says that's the best they can do.

I wish I could install an OTA. The cheap ones that hang in the window don't cut it for me. So Hulu+Live actually is my cable, so to speak. I shouldn't really bitch too much. I was paying $180 a month to Comcast with no premium stuff before. Now I'm paying $130 for 500mbs internet + Hulu. Still, if they follow YouTube's price increase I might just cut out live TV altogether. Fuck 50% price increases in under two years.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-16, 18:17

Hulu just announced another $10/month increase for live, which makes $25.00 cumulatively since I signed up two years ago. Time to move on.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-08-05, 12:59

Can you subscribe to BTN directly, without having to subscribe to Hulu Live, YouTubeTV, Sling, Fubo, etc?

I know there is the BTN+ subscription, but I was thinking that's where they show non-revenue sports, not live football and basketball games.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-05, 13:20

as with all aspect of my life, I have no idea what y'all (or anyone else) is talking about.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-05, 13:22

holy hell.. I just started scrolling back through this thread and saw that I posted this in July of 2017:

Bobby Sak wrote:I truly have no idea what you guys are talking about. I just switch the TV on and start flipping channels.

at least I'm consistent. Cord Cutting or not? - Page 6 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-08-05, 14:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:holy hell.. I just started scrolling back through this thread and saw that I posted this in July of 2017:

Bobby Sak wrote:I truly have no idea what you guys are talking about. I just switch the TV on and start flipping channels.

I would say to never change, Bob. But I don't think there's much chance of that anyway.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-08-05, 14:46

So, my hook up at the cable company got another job. I'm paying retail. What's the best streaming with BTN and Bally sports?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-05, 14:53

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:holy hell.. I just started scrolling back through this thread and saw that I posted this in July of 2017:

I would say to never change, Bob. But I don't think there's much chance of that anyway.
you get to a point in life where you reflect back on things, you look around you.. and, if you're lucky, you think to yourself, "ya know. I have a good life. I'm very fortunate and I'm perfectly happy with where I am in life".

for me, that was 12.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-08-05, 19:24

AvgMSUJoe wrote:So, my hook up at the cable company got another job. I'm paying retail. What's the best streaming with BTN and Bally sports?

This was going to be my next question.

God damn, I see why so many of you cut the cord. My HOA covers basic cable, a couple of boxes, and some other fees. So for 20+ years i have only paid for added tiers (all of the non-premium channels), the sports networks, and premium networks. Not counting internet premium networks (which I add and drop as needed), I've been paying less than $50/month. So the likes of YoutubeTV and HuluLive never made sense for me.

Well, the HOA is switching from Comcast to some other company that only services closed communities like HOAs, condos, and apartments. I don't trust this new company, but to keep Comcast, my $50 month will now cost about $175. Cord Cutting or not? - Page 6 502811600

So now I'm looking into Hulu Live, YouTubeTV, Sling, Fubo, etc. As well as wondering to what extent I need any of those or if I can just get the channels I want directly.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-08-05, 20:39

AvgMSUJoe wrote:So, my hook up at the cable company got another job. I'm paying retail. What's the best streaming with BTN and Bally sports?

Bally isn't available streaming I don't believe. Steal a DirecTV log in and use the ball app.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-08-05, 21:47

Ballys just launched a direct product, Bally Sports + for $20/month. It might still be rolling out to different markets. I think you can watch the same stuff as on Ballys on cable, unlike BTN+, but I'm not 100% sure.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next