Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cord Cutting or not?

+32
The Pantry
GRR Spartan
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
Pervis Muldoon
Trapper Gus
CORNER BLITZ
AvgMSUJoe
Travis of the Cosmos
MiamiSpartan
I.B. Fine
By-Tor
Cameron
Heat Miser
Senior Dickfist
Robert J Sakimano
InTenSity
Three_Putt_Par
AnomanderRake
xsanguine
aualum06
StylesGShmooth
Other Teams Pursuing That
Gomer
steveschneider
Dr. Strangelove
Death Roe
DWags
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
Giant Moose
36 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Cord Cutting or not? - Page 5 Empty Re: Cord Cutting or not?

Post by Nordic 2019-10-02, 10:28

steveschneider wrote:I have Youtube TV currently but would love to dump it. It's just another way for Google to spy on you and collect data. Also, what's coming just around the corner when you watch ESPN or Big Ten tv they have shell spots that will eventually evolve to targeted advertising.

Everyone already has all your shit Steve. That genie is not going back in the bottle and you are unaffected by advertising anyway.

Cord Cutting or not? - Page 5 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3RsMCO4XsNoy8rsAj3JhuvWR6p5eW9HDHl2TaigJiBcmCuc92EA
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-02, 10:35

steveschneider wrote:I have Youtube TV currently but would love to dump it. It's just another way for Google to spy on you and collect data. Also, what's coming just around the corner when you watch ESPN or Big Ten tv they have shell spots that will eventually evolve to targeted advertising.

This has already happened and is happening Steve.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-02, 10:42

Nordic wrote:

Everyone already has all your shit Steve. That genie is not going back in the bottle and you are unaffected by advertising anyway.

Cord Cutting or not? - Page 5 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3RsMCO4XsNoy8rsAj3JhuvWR6p5eW9HDHl2TaigJiBcmCuc92EA

It's one more stream of data I can cut off, and fuck Silicon Valley. Also, I won't get into this eWallet shit apple pay bullshit. Time to get back to just buying shit with paper cash.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-02, 10:44

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

This has already happened and is happening Steve.

Big time and I don't like it one bit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2019-10-02, 10:55

Nordic wrote:
It took me forever to find my info on Xfinity. Had to navigate through the cable TV bundle up sells.

Any monthly data usage restrictions?
I’ve discovered that xfinity basically makes it impossible to do anything without having to call them.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-10-02, 11:04

Cord Cutting or not? - Page 5 502811600 Fucking steve. Can't fight that tide, man.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-02, 11:08

Cameron wrote:Cord Cutting or not? - Page 5 502811600 Fucking steve. Can't fight that tide, man.

Cord Cutting or not? - Page 5 Police-Siren-Stock-Photo
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-10-02, 17:34

By-Tor wrote:
Nordic wrote:
It took me forever to find my info on Xfinity. Had to navigate through the cable TV bundle up sells.

Any monthly data usage restrictions?
I’ve discovered that xfinity basically makes it impossible to do anything without having to call them.

Yep. They want to try to sell you in the phone. Pro tip: don't answer their questions, it will just go done a worm hole. Just repeat "I want to cancel, I don't need it anymore" and listen to them scramble down their sell sheet at the next programed response.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-02, 17:38

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:You guys are making my brain itch with all these options. This is why I’m willing to overpay comcrap, because it’s all there. I don’t have time or patience to try this stick or that to see what each has. I stream Prime and Netflix and I’m fat and happy. Plus, it leaves me with copious amounts of time to waste on tSwill.

This was where I was and then

I need to watch that movie again soon.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-10-02, 17:39

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

This was where I was and then

It's looped on YYTV
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-02, 17:53

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:You guys are making my brain itch with all these options. This is why I’m willing to overpay comcrap, because it’s all there. I don’t have time or patience to try this stick or that to see what each has. I stream Prime and Netflix and I’m fat and happy. Plus, it leaves me with copious amounts of time to waste on tSwill.

Bullshit tGreenway, you and I have a shit ton of time. I just don’t want to struggle. Although that YouTube tv seemed to please the c couple we were with this weekend.

Maybe I do have the time (duh, obviously I have the time), and yes, call it a struggle or whatever. I have zero interest in bringing in a bunch of options to recreate a lineup of channels I’m already getting from comcrap. It’s probably why I don’t do jigsaw puzzles or order any fast food combo meals. Besides, I also have a wife who no doubt will go looking for a channel I forgot to keep, and I will be charged with fixing the problem even if it means I don’t get any of my precious sleep. Yeah, I don’t use most of what I’m paying for now, but it’s a convenience to me, which makes paying more worth it.
So, in conclusion: No jigsaw puzzles since the dog would wind up eating a couple of pieces which I wouldn’t know about until trying to find them, driving me crazy in the process.
No fast food combo meals so I don’t end up a confused and scared old man trying to figure out which number option to order, thereby eliminating unwanted and unhealthy food and saving my waistline to grow from favorites like chocolate and ice cream and the best... chocolate ice cream.
And stay with Comcast even though I’m overcharged and have too many channels but always have the ones I and Mrs.GreenWay want, preserving my sleep and Cord Cutting or not? - Page 5 3557613862 plugging my wife instead of plugging Hulu and Sling and YTTV and Firestick and AppleTV and ohmyfuckinggodmakeitstop.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-02, 18:00

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

Bullshit tGreenway, you and I have a shit ton of time. I just don’t want to struggle. Although that YouTube tv seemed to please the c couple we were with this weekend.

Maybe I do have the time (duh, obviously I have the time), and yes, call it a struggle or whatever. I have zero interest in bringing in a bunch of options to recreate a lineup of channels I’m already getting from comcrap. It’s probably why I don’t do jigsaw puzzles or order any fast food combo meals. Besides, I also have a wife who no doubt will go looking for a channel I forgot to keep, and I will be charged with fixing the problem even if it means I don’t get any of my precious sleep. Yeah, I don’t use most of what I’m paying for now, but it’s a convenience to me, which makes paying more worth it.
So, in conclusion: No jigsaw puzzles since the dog would wind up eating a couple of pieces which I wouldn’t know about until trying to find them, driving me crazy in the process.
No fast food combo meals so I don’t end up a confused and scared old man trying to figure out which number option to order, thereby eliminating unwanted and unhealthy food and saving my waistline to grow from favorites like chocolate and ice cream and the best... chocolate ice cream.
And stay with Comcast even though I’m overcharged and have too many channels but always have the ones I and Mrs.GreenWay want, preserving my sleep and Cord Cutting or not? - Page 5 3557613862 plugging my wife instead of plugging Hulu and Sling and YTTV and Firestick and AppleTV and ohmyfuckinggodmakeitstop.

The simplest thing to do is just get Roku and pick either Sling or YTTV and be done with it. For Big Ten stuff and all the other sports stuff we love and watch YTTV is your best bet but they are going to spy on you like a motherfucker.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-02, 18:39

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

It's looped on YYTV

Which reminds me, I need to watch Looper. And now I’m in the mood for Froot Loops.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-10-02, 19:05

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

It's looped on YYTV

Which reminds me, I need to watch Looper. And now I’m in the mood for Froot Loops.

Don't fight it, embrace it
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-02, 19:57

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Don't fight it, embrace it

I don’t trust that toucan one damn bit. See how he’s always got that eye on you? Probably taking notes and reporting everything, singing like a canary. Fucking bird.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-10-02, 20:01

InTenSity wrote:I have AT&T Fiber. 100 mbps. I'm mixed about it, also have to use their modem/router, but they don't charge 'extra' for it. I think I'm paying around $60/month. I dropped Comcast for AT&T because comcast kept going out between 7pm and 11pm a couple of nights a week. The last straw for me was being told there is no outage and it was my modem and router that were bad. 15 minutes later, I get a text or check the website on my phone and it shows there in an outage in my area.
That $60 just for internet, correct? Been thinking about dropping WOW internet/cable for a few years but every time I look into ATT Uverse they're not much cheaper, want a 12 month contract, and won't say how much they'll jack my rate later.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-10-02, 21:11

The Pantry wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I have AT&T Fiber. 100 mbps. I'm mixed about it, also have to use their modem/router, but they don't charge 'extra' for it. I think I'm paying around $60/month. I dropped Comcast for AT&T because comcast kept going out between 7pm and 11pm a couple of nights a week. The last straw for me was being told there is no outage and it was my modem and router that were bad. 15 minutes later, I get a text or check the website on my phone and it shows there in an outage in my area.
That $60 just for internet, correct? Been thinking about dropping WOW internet/cable for a few years but every time I look into ATT Uverse they're not much cheaper, want a 12 month contract, and won't say how much they'll jack my rate later.
Yes that is internet only. I'd have to check again, it's all bundled with the cell phones.
2 phones, internet and still paying for an iPhone is costing me about $220/month. That's for unlimited everything and no caps on data.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-10-02, 21:37

InTenSity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:That $60 just for internet, correct? Been thinking about dropping WOW internet/cable for a few years but every time I look into ATT Uverse they're not much cheaper, want a 12 month contract, and won't say how much they'll jack my rate later.
Yes that is internet only. I'd have to check again, it's all bundled with the cell phones.
2 phones, internet and still paying for an iPhone is costing me about $220/month. That's for unlimited everything and no caps on data.
I have ATT mobile. The person I talked to this evening said they don't bundle wireless with TV/internet...no discount for that. They treat them as separate entities.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-10-02, 23:51

GW you are lazy and on crack. Enjoy the continual rape from Comcast. I had to break it off. Enough was enough. #MeToo

It's really not that complicated. Here is the live guide from YTTV. No configuring channels or anything. It's just like Cable or Dtv.

Cord Cutting or not? - Page 5 48834967832_fb0e735d8e_b
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2019-10-03, 12:31

Downloaded the YTTV free trial last night on my Roku TV and the Firestick on the bedroom TV. Very smooth on both. I’ll now be able to convince the wife to cut the cord. No hardware investment will be required since I can use the Xbox on the basement TV.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-10-03, 12:37

By-Tor wrote:Downloaded the YTTV free trial last night on my Roku TV and the Firestick on the bedroom TV. Very smooth on both. I’ll now be able to convince the wife to cut the cord. No hardware investment will be required since I can use the Xbox on the basement TV.
You should at least try to score the next generation playstation or Xbox coming out.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2019-10-03, 12:53

InTenSity wrote:
By-Tor wrote:Downloaded the YTTV free trial last night on my Roku TV and the Firestick on the bedroom TV. Very smooth on both. I’ll now be able to convince the wife to cut the cord. No hardware investment will be required since I can use the Xbox on the basement TV.
You should at least try to score the next generation playstation or Xbox coming out.
We have the Xbox1 and I don’t touch the thing. My kids use it once in awhile.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2019-10-12, 17:58

Trying Hulu today. Think I like their UI the best.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-12-08, 09:17

So my common law mother in law wants to lower her bill. She’s getting boned for $175 by xfinity. Did a YTTV trial over the weekend. I really like it and might switch. What is the going rate for internet only? I’m seeing horror stories where they bone you for $100 a month internet if you down grade. Anybody got stories to tell?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-12-08, 09:37

Think I'm paying about $80 for a landline and internet bundle,.. for my home office Wink
Just got an email from Spectrum claiming they boosted me to 200mbps
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-12-08, 09:44

kingstonlake wrote:So my common law mother in law wants to lower her bill. She’s getting boned for $175 by xfinity. Did a YTTV trial over the weekend. I really like it and might switch. What is the going rate for internet only? I’m seeing horror stories where they bone you for $100 a month internet if you down grade. Anybody got stories to tell?

Switched from my $175 a month Comcast cable + internet bill to WoW internet only 500mbps $69. That was almost two years ago, subscription almost up going to have to shop again.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-06, 11:16

Question for you guys, especially with Comcast internet (though the same question goes for others, too, I guess). If you have internet only, do you automatically get certain regular, live cable channels through the Xfinity Stream (or comparable app with other providers)? Or do you have to pay extra if you want that? I assume that it's extra for different levels of the cable channels through that.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-03-06, 12:14

MiamiSpartan wrote:Question for you guys, especially with Comcast internet (though the same question goes for others, too, I guess).  If you have internet only, do you automatically get certain regular, live cable channels through the Xfinity Stream (or comparable app with other providers)?  Or do you have to pay extra if you want that?  I assume that it's extra for different levels of the cable channels through that.
we run our i78eXt router through a Kevlar ply-o-giggity cord into the interface of the 45iM Sony Plasmatic WhirlyBit.

We've been really satisfied.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-03-06, 12:29

MiamiSpartan wrote:Question for you guys, especially with Comcast internet (though the same question goes for others, too, I guess). If you have internet only, do you automatically get certain regular, live cable channels through the Xfinity Stream (or comparable app with other providers)? Or do you have to pay extra if you want that? I assume that it's extra for different levels of the cable channels through that.
With AT&T, if you only have internet that is all you get. There are no channels that come with it. Xfinity might be offering some type of bundling that if you get a package, it comes with certain channels on their app. When I had Xfinity, before they started going out every other night in our area, we only had the cable.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-03-06, 12:30

Speaking of cord-cutting. I've got Frontier dsl. I was on the phone for about the 27th time with them yesterday trying to get them to wave a $112 service call fee. When I first got them to come to my house they said no fee if technician doesn't have to go inside my house. They charged me anyway. Talked to them yesterday. Their new policy is if they have to come out for any reason there's a basic $85 fee, even if your service line gets blown or knocked down from a storm or anything else. My service line was bad.
Plenty of news stories out there about them being on the verge of bankruptcy. I think I know why.

When SpaceX internet goes operational it will probably be the straw for them that broke the camels back.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-03-06, 12:36

I’ve had YouTube tv for a month or so and have really liked it for what it’s worth.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-03-06, 12:37

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I’ve had YouTube tv for a month or so and have really liked it for what it’s worth.
yeah, we like ours too. Glad we went that direction.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-03-06, 12:41

Jake from State Farm wrote:
When SpaceX internet goes operational it will probably be the straw for them that broke the camels back.

The real 5G network will fundamentally change ISP and TV... Coverage everywhere at the speed of fiber. (Video streams will be nothing for that bandwidth.)... Essentially killing the monopoly Spectrum, Comcast and all the hard wired services have.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-06, 13:43

Been rocking YouTube TV for 6+ months now. Mobile app has been solid when out and wanting to watch a game that's not on or cant see that TV at the bar. No real issues other than occasional screen stuck loading that requires me to change the channel back and forth to get it streaming again...which brings me to

Anyone downgrade their internet service? Paying WOW an extra $10/month for "Up to 200Mbps" but speeds are always at 30 so thinking of downgrading to "Up to 100Mbps" since I've never seen anything over that - kind of assume I'll get fucked and the 100 will be throttle even more

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-06, 16:36

InTenSity wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Question for you guys, especially with Comcast internet (though the same question goes for others, too, I guess). If you have internet only, do you automatically get certain regular, live cable channels through the Xfinity Stream (or comparable app with other providers)? Or do you have to pay extra if you want that? I assume that it's extra for different levels of the cable channels through that.
With AT&T, if you only have internet that is all you get. There are no channels that come with it. Xfinity might be offering some type of bundling that if you get a package, it comes with certain channels on their app. When I had Xfinity, before they started going out every other night in our area, we only had the cable.
My comcast internet never goes out. Maybe it's a localized issue.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-03-06, 19:28

My Spectrum internet ("Up to 100mps ususally tests out between 70 and 80) has gone from $49.95 to $69.95 since I dropped their cable package 4 years ago.  

They mail me their special deal of adding cable for the low prie of $44.95 a month.  I read the small print.  Add $8.85/mth for fees and a sports channel that adds more than ESPN/ESPN2 and FoxSports Detroit is another $6.95 per month.  

Thats more than YTTV and after 12 months $44.95 goes to $69.95 plus the fees and the sports package. About $90/mth for TV plus internet for $159.95/month.

The only people I know who still have internet and cable TV are folks who added internet so their grandkids will visit.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-03-06, 20:51

MiamiSpartan wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
My comcast internet never goes out. Maybe it's a localized issue.
You literally live across the street. This was 3 years ago.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-03-06, 21:12

Just like last time, I’m still paying Comcast all the dollars because I don’t have the time or desire to figure out which streaming option offers which channels. There’s also my serious lack of interest in working out any math problems to save xxx dollars/month. Yeah, I pay more than you guys, but it’s worth it to me for the convenience of not having to do what you all are doing. Plus, Comcast in our area rarely goes out (knock on wood).
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-03-06, 22:35

tGreenWay wrote:Just like last time, I’m still paying Comcast all the dollars because I don’t have the time or desire to figure out which streaming option offers which channels. There’s also my serious lack of interest in working out any math problems to save xxx dollars/month. Yeah, I pay more than you guys, but it’s worth it to me for the convenience of not having to do what you all are doing. Plus, Comcast in our area rarely goes out (knock on wood).

Yep. I don’t have endless expendable income. I watch my dollars, I look for sales at Kroger. On trips I will cook meals or sandwiches and don’t eat out every night. I’m a sams and Costco guy. Pay down all our cars and monthly bills try to carry zero debt on cards. But I’ll be god damned if I try to figure that cord cut stuff out to save 125 to 150 bucks a month. I still run my business. Keeps me working at least 5 to 8 hours a day. When I come home I want to turn the tv on and make it work for news weather sports movies entertainment without having to go to message boards to figure shit out.

I know: @ok boomer”

Fuck you all.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-06, 22:49

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I’ve had YouTube tv for a month or so and have really liked it for what it’s worth.

This. The mobile app is amazing. The interface is foreign at first, but I could never go back to the old way.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next