Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think it's cute when the media pretends girl's basketball is a real thing

+10
CORNER BLITZ
The_Dude
Turtleneck
xsanguine
DWags
Blanch32
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
Death Roe
Dr. Strangelove
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I think it's cute when the media pretends girl's basketball is a real thing Empty I think it's cute when the media pretends girl's basketball is a real thing

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-04-05, 08:40

IF UConn wins (again) and no one watches does it really count?

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I think it's cute when the media pretends girl's basketball is a real thing Empty Re: I think it's cute when the media pretends girl's basketball is a real thing

Post by Death Roe 2016-04-05, 08:42

It's gotten kinda boring to hear about, tbh. Every year it's "Can UConn go undefeated?" and "Who will trump UConn?"

Pretty stagnant. Awesome to win ten titles and probably his 11th tonight, but women's hoops is pretty boring regardless.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I think it's cute when the media pretends girl's basketball is a real thing Empty Re: I think it's cute when the media pretends girl's basketball is a real thing

Post by Giant Moose 2016-04-05, 08:43

I miss the era when coach's spouses were biting people. That was entertaining.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-04-05, 08:44

It's kind of like women's softball in the Olympics. Only a handful of teams are any good, and one team is wayyyy better than the good teams. They should just give UConn a bye to the championship game and let everyone else play for 2nd place.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-04-05, 09:25

Best case scenario is that women's basketball is where men's ball was in the 70s. So they are only 45 years behind. At that rate I will watch the women's championship in a sold out football stadium on my deathbed.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-05, 09:26

I thnk it's about the other schools just catching up to UConn. I personally don't go out of my way to watch it, but because my kid had to be at some of the women's games this year, I went to them. Really respect the girls talent on the team and understand the hours they put into them. Enjoyed the OSU game at home, saw the NW game and how smooth the girls were, but I'm not making it a must see thing.

If it's more balanced and we se some games like the triple overtime game we saw at MSU this year, it could be fun. But we need one or two schools to catch up to UConn, then we might see it spread. It will never catch the action of the men's game, but there are cases where the women in a sport do well as far as revenue and creating interest vs. the men. Soccer for example.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-04-05, 09:28

DWags wrote:I thnk it's about the other schools just catching up to UConn.  I personally don't go out of my way to watch it, but because my kid had to be at some of the women's games this year, I went to them.  Really respect the girls talent on the team and understand the hours they put into them.  Enjoyed the OSU game at home, saw the NW game and how smooth the girls were, but I'm not making it a must see thing.  

If it's more balanced and we se some games like the triple overtime game we saw at MSU this year, it could be fun.  But we need one or two schools to catch up to UConn, then we  might see it spread.  It will never catch the action of the men's game, but there are cases where the women in a sport do well as far as revenue and creating interest vs. the men.  Soccer for example.  

Tennessee was right there with UConn for a while when whats-her-name was still the coach. Now it's all UConn all the time.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-04-05, 09:28

It's hard for women's hoops to be competitive nationwide because you have some schools like MSU who would rather host high school basketball at their stadium than their own team.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-05, 09:36

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
DWags wrote:I thnk it's about the other schools just catching up to UConn.  I personally don't go out of my way to watch it, but because my kid had to be at some of the women's games this year, I went to them.  Really respect the girls talent on the team and understand the hours they put into them.  Enjoyed the OSU game at home, saw the NW game and how smooth the girls were, but I'm not making it a must see thing.  

If it's more balanced and we se some games like the triple overtime game we saw at MSU this year, it could be fun.  But we need one or two schools to catch up to UConn, then we  might see it spread.  It will never catch the action of the men's game, but there are cases where the women in a sport do well as far as revenue and creating interest vs. the men.  Soccer for example.  

Tennessee was right there with UConn for a while when whats-her-name was still the coach. Now it's all UConn all the time.

DWags stupid theory. I've seen a shit ton of college football. I mean a shit ton for many years. I watched Bo and Woody not only get the best QB, but the 2nd and 3rd best and sit them on the bench to kick eveyone's 4th and 5th best Qb's ass. The could hoard talent.
Then came clinics and camps and weight rooms and technique camps and speed camps and proper training. Now, we have so many great RB's and so many great WR's and QB's and Linemen and LB's and DB's that talent is spread and you ahve teams that are able to compet e year in and year out with the best. We'll see programs rise and fall and rise again and turns being taken but we'll see teams that are beatable in football and no wall seems to high to climb as more and more hgh school kids get better and better prepared for college football. (hell, in the 80's we had universal weight rooms and salt dispensers in our locker room still)

Same with girls basketball, I think you see more and more AAU stuff happening at a young level and it'll be a while, but outstanding girls are going to number more that 10-15 per year. That won't allow a program like Uconn to hoard talent. Or get the three or four best and just destroy you. It will take a while, but it might help. We'll see. Even with better competiton, it's till going to be a hard sell to the general public
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-05, 09:39

Giant Moose wrote:It's hard for women's hoops to be competitive nationwide because you have some schools like MSU who would rather host high school basketball at their stadium than their own team.

That was pretty outrageous. But had we beat Mississippi State, we'd have got UConn. I think they were beating Mississippi State 79-18 at one point. But yeah, that sucked for our girls. Bull shit. Move the games on day back or forward. Let the MHSAA know that's the deal from here on out. I know they'll say that they'll just move them to Ann Arbor and that the hotels and restaurants in E. Lansing will be pissed, but something should have been done.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-04-05, 10:10

Giant Moose wrote:It's hard for women's hoops to be competitive nationwide because you have some schools like MSU who would rather host high school basketball at their stadium than their own team.

1/2 truths are so much fun to post on message boards. They are great to try and incite the uninformed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-04-05, 10:17

LooseGoose wrote:

1/2 truths are so much fun to post on message boards. They are great to try and incite the uninformed.
Defend MSU at all costs. Do you send Hollis pies? You should. He likes humble pie when he has to retract on stuff like logos and tailgate times.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-04-05, 10:22

Giant Moose wrote:Defend MSU at all costs.

Nope. Simply that I believe if you make a contract you honor it. You know, like giving your word.

I realize that concepts like this are foreign to jerks so you feel free to carry on.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-04-05, 10:27

LooseGoose wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:Defend MSU at all costs.

Nope. Simply that I believe if you make a contract you honor it. You know, like giving your word.

I realize that concepts like this are foreign to jerks so you feel free to carry on.

I think we should sign all contracts a year before they expire so we can cost our employer millions of dollars. #TheHollisDifference
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-05, 10:55

Paging Turtleneck... This is probably an example of what we were talking about the other day, no?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-04-05, 14:36

xsanguine wrote:Paging Turtleneck... This is probably an example of what we were talking about the other day, no?

Sports are a huge example. They have no idea they are even doing it...but they are. It's not intentional...but it's happening.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-05, 15:25

Turtleneck wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Paging Turtleneck... This is probably an example of what we were talking about the other day, no?

Sports are a huge example. They have no idea they are even doing it...but they are. It's not intentional...but it's happening.

Do you think we should do away with gender specific sports? Make them so that it doesn't matter what your sex is but how well you perform? Or would that make it worse by making the disparities between genders with regards to physical prowess even more glaring?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-04-05, 15:30

Replace 'girls basketball' with 'women sports' OP.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-04-05, 15:49

Look I don't care if they have women's basketball or not but with Title IX it's pretty much forced upon us.

The fact of the matter is the game the women play is a pale imitation of the men's game.

The Michigan High School Boy's Class A champs would beat the WNBA champions.

They've already made the women's basketball smaller and they should think about lowering the rim for them.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-04-05, 16:03

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Do you think we should do away with gender specific sports? Make them so that it doesn't matter what your sex is but how well you perform? Or would that make it worse by making the disparities between genders with regards to physical prowess even more glaring?

I'm not saying there needs to be some kind of change, but just pointing out that what we were discussing is real.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-05, 16:12

I realize after writing that I was referring to something different than you were. I think you're talking more about the attitude surrounding it... Not necessarily whether one is "better" than the other.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-04-05, 17:22

Non athletes
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-04-05, 22:32

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Non athletes

Lame. They are just non-men
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-04-05, 22:36

I actually like women's basketball or would like it if there was uncertainty of the outcome
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-05, 22:39

Would a WNBA team be able to beat a Div 1 Men's CBB team?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm a closet misogynist and that's what keeps me from being able to enjoy women's basketball or if it's the talent. I do enjoy women's softball... not that that necessarily means anything.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-04-05, 22:44

xsanguine wrote:Would a WNBA team be able to beat a Div 1 Men's CBB team?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm a closet misogynist and that's what keeps me from being able to enjoy women's basketball or if it's the talent. I do enjoy women's softball... not that that necessarily means anything.

Not a chance.

It's not exactly the same, but high school hockey teams have played Team USA Women's hockey IIRC and demolished them.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-05, 22:45

Div 1 would fuck up a WNBA squad
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-05, 22:47

That's a shame.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-05, 22:48

What about Tim and OTPT vs. Rhonda Rousey and Meisha Tate?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-05, 22:49

xsanguine wrote:What about Tim and OTPT vs. Rhonda Rousey and Meisha Tate?

Otpt is a pussy bitch. Not a fair fight at all.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-05, 22:51

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Otpt is a pussy bitch. Not a fair fight at all.

I've got faith in OTPT. That's my homie.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-04-05, 22:51

We're both pretty fast. We could land one quick driveby punch and then evade them for the rest of the match to win by decision. OTPT would have to quit smoking so much
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-05, 22:51

Tim Wakefield wrote:

We're both pretty fast. We could land one quick driveby punch and then evade them for the rest of the match to win by decision. OTPT would have to quit smoking so much

I've been telling him this but he just won't listen. You might have to pick up his slack.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-04-05, 22:52

Would MSU football beat an NFL team?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-05, 22:54

If an NFL team dressed up in MSU uniforms, maybe.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-05, 22:54

Basketball or fighting? Who the fuck is meisha tate?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-05, 22:57

Tim Wakefield wrote:

I have lungs of steel I'm still hooping out here in high altitude
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-05, 22:58

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Basketball or fighting? Who the fuck is meisha tate?

Oh shit... I'm going to have to get that bet I just placed back...
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-05, 22:58

Herbie Green wrote:Would MSU football beat an NFL team?

No college team in the history of ever could ever beat any NFL team ever. I hate this conversation that comes up so much.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-04-05, 23:03

Herbie Green wrote:Would MSU football beat an NFL team?

no
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next