Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet

+11
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
The_Dude
Nordic
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
xsanguine
steveschneider
DWags
Blanch32
WhiteBoyHatcher
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 Empty Re: Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet

Post by The_Dude 2016-04-19, 12:27

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:LOL at the Dude.  Fucker is so clueless.   I'd laugh at him raising a kid.  

Fuck, he should write that book on how simple it is.  
in all seriousness, I sometimes think that kids are kind of hard-wired at birth. Sure, we can guide them in some directions here and there, instill some morals, ethics and values.. but I still think that, at times, it's like playing Russian roulette.

the theoretical part is blindingly simple. Applying the theory to real-life can be wickedly complex, as there are factors and variables beyond our control.

Yep, just teach your kid to be independent and not reliant on anyone else to meet their basic needs and that's really all you can ask for. cheers

Last edited by The_Dude on 2016-04-19, 12:28; edited 1 time in total
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 Empty Re: Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 12:27

DWags wrote:Beyond our control is a fairly nice way of putting it. Having no clue is the way I'd describe myself as a parent. Those that think they do are laughably funny.

I won't bore you with any real life stories, but in some aspects of my daughters lives, they couldn't be more different than each other. How is that possible. You raise them the same way, you do the same things, you go to the same places and you have the same conversations. One is way more willing to wink at society's rules than the other. The other is a pretty damn straight arrow. How is that possible? I have no fucking clue.

Their environment and exclusive experiences within that environment. You only have control over so much. If you watch MSNBC or CNN all day... they'll probably be majoring in Women's Studies and dying their hair purple while screaming about evil white men. Put them in front of InfoWars as their primary news outlet and they'll make all the right choices and marry a surgeon who's only purpose in life is to make her happy.

Those are the facts, kids.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-04-19, 12:30

xsanguine wrote:
DWags wrote:Beyond our control is a fairly nice way of putting it. Having no clue is the way I'd describe myself as a parent. Those that think they do are laughably funny.

I won't bore you with any real life stories, but in some aspects of my daughters lives, they couldn't be more different than each other. How is that possible. You raise them the same way, you do the same things, you go to the same places and you have the same conversations. One is way more willing to wink at society's rules than the other. The other is a pretty damn straight arrow. How is that possible? I have no fucking clue.

Their environment and exclusive experiences within that environment. You only have control over so much. If you watch MSNBC or CNN all day... they'll probably be majoring in Women's Studies and dying their hair purple while screaming about evil white men. Put them in front of InfoWars as their primary news outlet and they'll make all the right choices and marry a surgeon who's only purpose in life is to make her happy.

What if she wants to make herself happy?

Wait... I just thought of something.

BRB.

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 3434560931
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 12:31

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

BRB.

Probably want to let mom handle that conversation.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 12:32

yeah, I wouldn't bore anyone with stories about my kid, etc - but she does okay despite the fact that I'm her Dad which, as I mentioned, just kind of reinforces my theory that a lot of it beyond our control.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 12:33

The_Dude wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
in all seriousness, I sometimes think that kids are kind of hard-wired at birth. Sure, we can guide them in some directions here and there, instill some morals, ethics and values.. but I still think that, at times, it's like playing Russian roulette.

the theoretical part is blindingly simple. Applying the theory to real-life can be wickedly complex, as there are factors and variables beyond our control.

Yep, just teach your kid to be independent and not reliant on anyone else to meet their basic needs and that's really all you can ask for. cheers
yep - and that makes her a proud Democrat.

Hell, I'm the conservative one in the house.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 12:39

xsanguine wrote:

that's definitely the route we're taking with the kid.. it's gonna be country clubs, golf, trips Up North for her.. she really enjoys those sorts of things.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 12:41

Dude, could you go over how one teaches their kids to be independent? Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 502811600 Are there drills at home, do you have words that do that? Does playing travel soccer help? How about competitive dance, will that do it? What exactly will be in your book of instructions on how to raise the perfect kid.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-19, 12:42

DWags wrote:Dude, could you go over how one teaches their kids to be independent? Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 502811600 Are there drills at home, do you have words that do that? Does playing travel soccer help? How about competitive dance, will that do it? What exactly will be in your book of instructions on how to raise the perfect kid.

All of those things are dependent on a coach dwags. Lol. Think man, think. INdependent.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 12:43

Maybe just shove them out the door each day and say "figure it out"???
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-04-19, 12:47

Whatever you did, Wags. It was the right thing.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 12:47

DWags wrote:Maybe just shove them out the door each day and say "figure it out"???
I gave my daughter a bible at the age of 2.

in terms of encouraging independence, it was the best decision I've ever made.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 12:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

that's definitely the route we're taking with the kid.. it's gonna be country clubs, golf, trips Up North for her.. she really enjoys those sorts of things.

Or she could get married to Ryan Adams and get cheated on and verbally abused.

But those are the only two choices. Surgeon or rock star. Everything else is a failure as a parent.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-19, 12:56

DWags wrote:Maybe just shove them out the door each day and say "figure it out"???

Better.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 12:59

xsanguine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:that's definitely the route we're taking with the kid.. it's gonna be country clubs, golf, trips Up North for her.. she really enjoys those sorts of things.

But those are the only two choices. Surgeon or rock star. Everything else is a failure as a parent.
meh - she needs to be toughened up some.

plus, with a surgeon I'd have to sit around and think of things to talk about. That would suck.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 12:59

Roc, They're 19 and 15. I don't remember a week I haven't woke up in cold sweats. Both can be very cool, both can be very exasperating. Both have made me laugh, both have made me walk out of the conversation.

Somebody tell me how I can tell if I've been successful as a father so far. Is there a rubric somebody has that will let me judge? I really want to take it home and score my wife. I'll present it to her at the table tonight. I'll report back to you guys what she thinks she can do better.

I look forward to seeing this rubric.

Dude's rubric will say "Indepednet---yes or no?" Btw, what the fuck does that even mean?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 13:02

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

meh - she needs to be toughened up some.

plus, with a surgeon I'd have to sit around and think of things to talk about. That would suck.

That's true... Kids are soft these days.

I mean, you're married to Ryan Adams... Take a few cons with that pro... What, you thought it'd be all candy canes and lollipops? So he bangs a few broads on the road... Get ova it, sweethaaawt!
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-04-19, 13:04

DWags wrote:Roc, They're 19 and 15. I don't remember a week I haven't woke up in cold sweats. Both can be very cool, both can be very exasperating. Both have made me laugh, both have made me walk out of the conversation.

Somebody tell me how I can tell if I've been successful as a father so far. Is there a rubric somebody has that will let me judge? I really want to take it home and score my wife. I'll present it to her at the table tonight. I'll report back to you guys what she thinks she can do better.

I look forward to seeing this rubric.

Dude's rubric will say "Indepednet---yes or no?" Btw, what the fuck does that even mean?

Indepednet is not a word, Dwags.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 13:05

xsanguine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: meh - she needs to be toughened up some.

I mean, you're married to Ryan Adams... Take a few cons with that pro... What, you thought it'd be all candy canes and lollipops? So he bangs a few broads on the road... Get ova it, sweethaaawt!
yep - like I said, she could be married to some twerp who just provides her with golf course memberships, SUV's and pats her on the head, expecting her to "behave".
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 13:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

yep - like I said, she could be married to some twerp who just provides her with golf course memberships, SUV's and pats her on the head, expecting her to "behave".

What if she brought Kanye West home?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 13:08

It's my word Roc, and it was thought up independently by me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 13:10

Here you guys go. Post this on the fridge. Nothing more to it.

http://ped.state.nm.us/Parents/dl09/TenTipsForSuccessfulParenting.pdf
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 13:11

xsanguine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I know nothing about him other than I've heard the name.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 13:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I know nothing about him other than I've heard the name.

Curveball...

What if she brought home KD Lang?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-04-19, 13:28

The_Dude wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Periscoping a rape is ultra pc?

No, not this specific incident. Just how un-independent kids in their teens and 20s are today.

Sorry, Mrs. Palin, that's not a word. Did you mean dependent?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 13:31

Bob, am I going to far? I don't have a daughter yet so I may just be lipping off about something I shouldn't be and don't realize it yet.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 13:31

xsanguine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I know nothing about him other than I've heard the name.

Curveball...

she's a good musician and talented songwriter. Seems to be a nice lady. I'm cool with it.

(minus the 35+ year age gap)

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 13:32

xsanguine wrote:Bob, am I going to far? I don't have a daughter yet so I may just be lipping off about something I shouldn't be and don't realize it yet.
Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 502811600

no, man.. I appreciate your sensitivities to the matter, though. It's not like you're going all For bin on me, or something.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-04-19, 13:35

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

BRB.

GTFO of here with that hippy dippy bullshit.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-04-19, 13:38

DWags wrote:It's my word Roc, and it was thought up indepednetly by me.

Fixed.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 13:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Curveball...

she's a good musician and talented songwriter. Seems to be a nice lady. I'm cool with it.

Double curveball...

What if she brought KD Lang

And Ellen home?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 13:50

xsanguine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:she's a good musician and talented songwriter. Seems to be a nice lady. I'm cool with it.

Double curveball...

What if she brought KD Lang

And Ellen home?
they seem like nice folks. I like Ellen.. she's funny.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 14:00

I like Ellen too. She seems to know how to dance.

I was just reading about Liam Gallagher and didn't realize the momo has 4 kids from four different women... Two from affairs.

Kinda relevant since we were talking about Adams.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 14:34

xsanguine wrote:I like Ellen too. She seems to know how to dance.

I was just reading about Liam Gallagher and didn't realize the momo has 4 kids from four different women... Two from affairs.

Kinda relevant since we were talking about Adams.
yikes.

yeah.. there's the old saying that's true in almost every facet of life - "trust the art, not the artist".. I suspect most of us don't really want to get to know our heroes. Or at least we'd better think twice.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-04-19, 14:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

yep - and that makes her a proud Democrat.

Dem, R, green party, tea party...it doesn't matter. Raising an independent child knows no party lines. Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 1486952199
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 14:41

The_Dude wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:yep - and that makes her a proud Democrat.

Dem, R, green party, tea party...it doesn't matter. Raising an independent child knows no party lines. Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 1486952199
I can agree with that.. Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 969504605

she's a great American.. she won't be a damn fine Spartan, though. But she's still a great American.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-04-19, 14:41

DWags wrote:Dude, could you go over how one teaches their kids to be independent?   Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 502811600   Are there drills at home, do you have words that do that?   Does playing travel soccer help?  How about competitive dance, will that do it?   What exactly will be in your book of instructions on how to raise the perfect kid.  

For starters, making sure they major in something that can actually land them a job and making sure they start working whenever they can.  Teaches them the value of a dollar too.  Not crazy concepts.

I started carrying golf bags t the local country club when I was in 5th grade. Had more money in savings when I went off to college than the average 35 year old lol.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-04-19, 14:43

If they are well into their 20s and free loading at home?

Yep
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 14:48

Dude, as soon as you say "I did this......." my full of shit meter goes off. And you sir, are full of shit.

I did this, I did that, it's the best way to do things. Fuck, and undergrad degree can be history of art if you want it to be. This world isn't cookie cutter. You want kids to be "independent" but they HAVE TO have a major that counts. Do you see any hypocrisy in that statement? Becasue you don't see how to make it in the world with certain majors doesn't mean they don't exist. Matter of fact, a true independent thinker probably knows that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 14:49

The_Dude wrote:
DWags wrote:Dude, could you go over how one teaches their kids to be independent?   Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 2 502811600   Are there drills at home, do you have words that do that?   Does playing travel soccer help?  How about competitive dance, will that do it?   What exactly will be in your book of instructions on how to raise the perfect kid.  

For starters, making sure they major in something that can actually land them a job and making sure they start working whenever they can.  Teaches them the value of a dollar too.  Not crazy concepts.

I started carrying golf bags t the local country club when I was in 5th grade. Had more money in savings when I went off to college than the average 35 year old lol.
so you encourage them to be "independent" by "making sure they major" in what you want them to?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next