Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet

+11
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
The_Dude
Nordic
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
xsanguine
steveschneider
DWags
Blanch32
WhiteBoyHatcher
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 3 Empty Re: Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet

Post by InTenSity 2016-04-19, 14:49

The_Dude wrote:
DWags wrote:Maybe just shove them out the door each day and say "figure it out"???

If they are well into their 20s and free loading at home?

Yep
Sadly, I think that way of living is over. I know here in S. Florida it is more common for mid to late 20 year olds still living with their parents, than it is for them to be living on their own. Part of it is the culture and part of it is the situation.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 3 Empty Re: Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 14:50

DWags wrote:Dude, as soon as you say "I did this......." my full of shit meter goes off. And you sir, are full of shit.

I did this, I did that, it's the best way to do things. Fuck, and undergrad degree can be history of art if you want it to be. This world isn't cookie cutter. You want kids to be "independent" but they HAVE TO have a major that counts. Do you see any hypocrisy in that statement? Becasue you don't see how to make it in the world with certain majors doesn't mean they don't exist. Matter of fact, a true independent thinker probably knows that.
this may scare the hell out of you and, for your sake, I hope it does. But we were having the same thought at the same time. Shocked

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-19, 14:53

Picking a major based on the initial job outlook out of college seems fucking stupid.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-19, 14:55

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Picking a major based on the initial job outlook out of college seems fucking stupid.

It's really stupid otpt. It's also a dangerous view of the world from a macro economic view point. that doesn't matter though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 15:01

I chose my major based on where all the chicks would be.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-04-19, 16:25

The_Dude wrote:
DWags wrote:Dude, could you go over how one teaches their kids to be independent?   Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 3 502811600   Are there drills at home, do you have words that do that?   Does playing travel soccer help?  How about competitive dance, will that do it?   What exactly will be in your book of instructions on how to raise the perfect kid.  

For starters, making sure they major in something that can actually land them a job and making sure they start working whenever they can.  Teaches them the value of a dollar too.  Not crazy concepts.

I started carrying golf bags t the local country club when I was in 5th grade. Had more money in savings when I went off to college than the average 35 year old lol.

I'm sure you found ann arbor to be an expensive city, but at least you weren't paying premium prices for tuition at Washtenaw Community College.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-04-19, 16:26

xsanguine wrote:I chose my major based on where all the chicks would be.

Smart
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 16:53

Blanch32 wrote:
xsanguine wrote:I chose my major based on where all the chicks would be.

Smart

Yeah, but now I'm a male nurse. :(
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 17:02

xsanguine wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Smart

You don't get to work on any females? Seems weird and a bit sexist.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 17:05

DWags wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

You don't get to work on any females? Seems weird and a bit sexist.

Not after 'the incident'.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2016-04-19, 17:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:I like Ellen too. She seems to know how to dance.

I was just reading about Liam Gallagher and didn't realize the momo has 4 kids from four different women... Two from affairs.

Kinda relevant since we were talking about Adams.
yikes.

yeah.. there's the old saying that's true in almost every facet of life - "trust the art, not the artist".. I suspect most of us don't really want to get to know our heroes. Or at least we'd better think twice.

You don't have to know much about Liam to know he's a self-centered dick head. He's famous for two things: singing his brother's songs, and being a giant asshole.

Noel once described him as a man with a fork in a world full of soup. I don't know if that is really relevant to the topic at hand, but I've always been amused by it.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 17:53

I'm gonna see Noel in July. And also Ryan Adams.

This is all coming together quite nicely.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 23:22

gHost Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:Beyond our control is a fairly nice way of putting it. Having no clue is the way I'd describe myself as a parent. Those that think they do are laughably funny.

I won't bore you with any real life stories, but in some aspects of my daughters lives, they couldn't be more different than each other. How is that possible. You raise them the same way, you do the same things, you go to the same places and you have the same conversations. One is way more willing to wink at society's rules than the other. The other is a pretty damn straight arrow. How is that possible? I have no fucking clue.

My dad married when my brothers and I were grown and his wife has two daughters. Both raised in an upper middle class suburban New Jersey community, just outside New York City (Bergen County). One is an advertising executive married to a Wall Street guy with a mansion. The other died from a heroin overdose last summer, leaving a teen child for my dad and his wife to raise. Two totally different people.

Great example, gHost.

We seem to only have so much effect on our offspring. We certainly have a large effect but everyone takes different paths that lead to other path choices and it's impossible to predict what paths will present themselves and which ones an individual will choose or where they even lead... not even with any intent one way or the other just what seems smart or a reasonable risk at the time.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-04-19, 23:45

This evening I looked over and my 3 yo was eating cold soup out of a pot on a chair at the kitchen table with a measuring tbsp. As I was watching her she walked over to the sink, opened the cupboards, tore off about a 12 ft stretch of paper towels, brought it back to the kitchen table, balled it up and stuck it in the pot to soak up the broth.

I didn't stop her, I just laughed. I think I passed tDude's independence test. Father of the year award up next.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 23:48

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:This evening I looked over and my 3 yo was eating cold soup out of a pot on a chair at the kitchen table with a measuring tbsp. As I was watching her she walked over to the sink, opened the cupboards, tore off about a 12 ft stretch of paper towels, brought it back to the kitchen table, balled it up and stuck it in the pot to soak up the broth.

I didn't stop her, I just laughed. I think I passed tDude's independence test. Father of the year award up next.

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 3 502811600

See, that's the shit I'm looking forward to.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-20, 07:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:This evening I looked over and my 3 yo was eating cold soup out of a pot on a chair at the kitchen table with a measuring tbsp. As I was watching her she walked over to the sink, opened the cupboards, tore off about a 12 ft stretch of paper towels, brought it back to the kitchen table, balled it up and stuck it in the pot to soak up the broth.

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 3 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-20, 07:35

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 3 502811600 what kind of soup?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-20, 09:32

Hahahahhahahaha
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-04-20, 09:37

DWags wrote:

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet - Page 3 502811600 what kind of soup?

chicken noodle obviously

full disclosure - I did not let her open it and just pour it in a pot. I had heated it up and it was still out from a half hour earlier.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2016-04-21, 09:29

xsanguine wrote:I'm gonna see Noel in July. And also Ryan Adams.

I saw Noel at Royal Oak last year, it was a fantastic show, but I love all his shit so of course I enjoyed myself. I was looking for a job at the time and had to stay clean for drug tests. I hope to see him while properly fucked up next time he's somewhere near MI.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-21, 09:31

Cameron wrote:
xsanguine wrote:I'm gonna see Noel in July. And also Ryan Adams.

I saw Noel at Royal Oak last year, it was a fantastic show, but I love all his shit so of course I enjoyed myself. I was looking for a job at the time and had to stay clean for drug tests. I hope to see him while properly fucked up next time he's somewhere near MI.
Ryan's cover of Wonderwall is better than the Oasis version..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2016-04-21, 09:34

Shit, just looked at his tour schedule, didn't realize he was gonna be here in July, I assumed X was going to a show in NY or something. I'm gonna have to get me some tickets and some drugs.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-21, 09:35

Cameron wrote:Shit, just looked at his tour schedule, didn't realize he was gonna be here in July, I assumed X was going to a show in NY or something. I'm gonna have to get me some tickets and some drugs.
Ryan or Gallahger?

I know Ryan is at Freedom Hill in July.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2016-04-21, 09:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Wonderwall is the most overrated (and overplayed) Oasis song. I once heard just the guitar tracks without all the other stuff and enjoyed it more. Ryan Adams's rendition is excellent, I believe Noel is on record as saying it is better than the original.

RE: July show https://www.noelgallagher.com/live/rochester-hills-mi-rochester-hills-12-07
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-21, 09:53

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Wonderwall is the most overrated (and overplayed) Oasis song. I once heard just the guitar tracks without all the other stuff and enjoyed it more. Ryan Adams's rendition is excellent, I believe Noel is on record as saying it is better than the original.

RE: July show https://www.noelgallagher.com/live/rochester-hills-mi-rochester-hills-12-07
nice.

Yes, Ryan's version is pretty tasty.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3