Swill Q Thread

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-07-02, 22:39

Lowe's has a sale on stubbs briquettes. 14 lb bag normally $10 is going for $6 until 7/6. Try these briquettes if you never have, you will be a convert, I guarantee it.

_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14567
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-02, 22:48

Agree. Stubbs rocks. Zero stank.

Gonna go looking for beef ribs tomorrow...
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7535
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-07-02, 22:52

The Pantry wrote:Agree. Stubbs rocks. Zero stank.

Gonna go looking for beef ribs tomorrow...

Funny you should say that. I just went to Bozek's this morning and picked some up. They come cryo'd with two racks. Like this> https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7560/28043337005_805559a312_c.jpg

As you can see, $3.99/lb and one of these cryos weighs about 10 lbs. You can find them in the meat room towards the back where the big sides of beef and whole ribeyes are, on the top shelf of the rack. The ones today did not have any prices on them so you will need to ask the butcher to print you out a sticker for the cashier.

_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14567
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-02, 23:13

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Agree. Stubbs rocks. Zero stank.

Gonna go looking for beef ribs tomorrow...

Funny you should say that. I just went to Bozek's this morning and picked some up. They come cryo'd with two racks. Like this> https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7560/28043337005_805559a312_c.jpg

As you can see, $3.99/lb and one of these cryos weighs about 10 lbs. You can find them in the meat room towards the back where the big sides of beef and whole ribeyes are, on the top shelf of the rack. The ones today did not have any prices on them so you will need to ask the butcher to print you out a sticker for the cashier.
Went to work for a few hours this morning. Made the Michigan left at 18 & Mound on the way home and completely forgot Bozek's.

Still wondering when Srodek's will open and what they will offer
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7535
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-07-03, 01:42

These things are not easy. Even when they seem done...they need to go a few more hours to render all of that glorious fat. Get a good bark and wrap, and then leave them on 45-60 longer than you thought. It's gotta probe with less resistance than brisket, even, imo.






_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14567
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-03, 04:14

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Agree. Stubbs rocks. Zero stank.

Gonna go looking for beef ribs tomorrow...

Funny you should say that. I just went to Bozek's this morning and picked some up. They come cryo'd with two racks. Like this> https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7560/28043337005_805559a312_c.jpg

As you can see, $3.99/lb and one of these cryos weighs about 10 lbs. You can find them in the meat room towards the back where the big sides of beef and whole ribeyes are, on the top shelf of the rack. The ones today did not have any prices on them so you will need to ask the butcher to print you out a sticker for the cashier.

I have lived in four places withing spitting distance of Bozek's for 29 years and have never been in there. Lately I've been seeing a special they run where for 100 claims you can get a shit ton of various cuts of beef/pork/chicken. I might have to check that out sometime.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11876
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by pulling69 on 2016-07-03, 04:59

I prefer my shortribs Korean.
avatar
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : KIAD

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-03, 05:14

Floyd Robertson wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Funny you should say that. I just went to Bozek's this morning and picked some up. They come cryo'd with two racks. Like this> https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7560/28043337005_805559a312_c.jpg

As you can see, $3.99/lb and one of these cryos weighs about 10 lbs. You can find them in the meat room towards the back where the big sides of beef and whole ribeyes are, on the top shelf of the rack. The ones today did not have any prices on them so you will need to ask the butcher to print you out a sticker for the cashier.

I have lived in four places withing spitting distance of Bozek's for 29 years and have never been in there. Lately I've been seeing a special they run where for 100 claims you can get a shit ton of various cuts of beef/pork/chicken. I might have to check that out sometime.
Not sure how long it's been there. Went once a few years ago. The walk-in meat cooler was, literally, cool. Was a little surprised by how much Polish was spoken amongst the workers and some patrons...at least I think it was Polish they were speaking.
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7535
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-03, 05:50

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I have lived in four places withing spitting distance of Bozek's for 29 years and have never been in there. Lately I've been seeing a special they run where for 100 claims you can get a shit ton of various cuts of beef/pork/chicken.  I might have to check that out sometime.
Not sure how long it's been there.  Went once a few years ago.  The walk-in meat cooler was, literally, cool.  Was a little surprised by how much Polish was spoken amongst the workers and some patrons...at least I think it was Polish they were speaking.

I'm guessing it has been there at least 20 years.  I thought maybe the website would say, but I couldn't find it it. I did find the family bundle, though, and discovered other bundles.

avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11876
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by pulling69 on 2016-07-03, 05:59

I wish i had a free 10lb bag of MI potatoes.
avatar
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : KIAD

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-03, 18:41

Changed my mind about doing beef ribs.  Gonna do lamb loin chops tomorrow.  Maybe a mint chimichurri sauce too.


edit:  my inspiration to do the chops (hope turtleneck sees this)



Last edited by The Pantry on 2016-07-04, 00:55; edited 1 time in total
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7535
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by InTenSity on 2016-07-03, 19:17

These spare ribs are heading towards 2.5 hours.

_________________
Finally! Back to the Future!
avatar
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10387
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Kendall

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-03, 19:24

InTenSity wrote:These spare ribs are heading towards 2.5 hours.
Only another 2.5-3 hours to go
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7535
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by InTenSity on 2016-07-03, 19:44


_________________
Finally! Back to the Future!
avatar
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10387
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Kendall

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-07-03, 20:26

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:These things are not easy. Even when they seem done...they need to go a few more hours to render all of that glorious fat. Get a good bark and wrap, and then leave them on 45-60 longer than you thought. It's gotta probe with less resistance than brisket, even, imo.






Those look great.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-07-03, 20:27

InTenSity wrote:

And so do those. Damn.



_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-07-03, 20:37

I went to the store tonight to pick up some spares and some corn on the cob for the kids. I was going to fire up the trailer pit, foil the corn and cook it there alongside my spares. Lo and behold, I get home and the fat fucking 70 year old hosebeast of a next door neighbor is sitting in a patio chair she dragged over, right next to my firebox, obliviously yapping my wife's ear off as my wife tries to play with the kids. She told me she was ready for some pulled pork because it was her favorite. Plans scrapped. I went into the basement, turned on Talladega Nights and took a nap.

_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14567
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-03, 21:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I went to the store tonight to pick up some spares and some corn on the cob for the kids. I was going to fire up the trailer pit, foil the corn and cook it there alongside my spares. Lo and behold, I get home and the fat fucking 70 year old hosebeast of a next door neighbor is sitting in a patio chair she dragged over, right next to my firebox, obliviously yapping my wife's ear off as my wife tries to play with the kids. She told me she was ready for some pulled pork because it was her favorite. Plans scrapped. I went into the basement, turned on Talladega Nights and took a nap.
Should have told her your pork was on Friday when the roads were less crowded
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7535
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-10, 16:53

Rehabbing with all new metal today.





Still have to pick up some new ceramic briquettes.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11876
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-10, 17:45

Couple hundred bucks?
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7535
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by DWags on 2016-07-10, 17:55

Tell me about smoked potatoes. How long, what spices and how good are they?

_________________
avatar
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20079
Join date : 2014-04-21
Age : 55
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-10, 17:56

The Pantry wrote:Couple hundred bucks?

Thereabouts. I've had that grill since the mid 90s, though I haven't used it much on 2-3 years while I debated replacing it vs. rehabbing it.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11876
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-07-10, 18:07

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Couple hundred bucks?

Thereabouts. I've had that grill since the mid 90s, though I haven't used it much on 2-3 years while I debated replacing it vs. rehabbing it.

Now you'll have an old friend with you as you slip into your dotage....

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by Tim Wakefield on 2016-07-10, 18:24

Don't know shit about cooking, but I made a hell of a steak the other day. My grandparents gave me a nice big chunk of the steak that they had leftover and I put it in a ziplock bag with some olive oil, worchealdfka;ef sauce, soy sauce, garlic salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of teriyaki sauce. Cooked it up medium rare. Holy shit was that good

_________________
Camarón que se duerme, se lo lleva la corriente
avatar
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3656
Join date : 2014-04-23
Age : 23
Location : EL

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-07-10, 18:42

Tim Wakefield wrote:Don't know shit about cooking, but I made a hell of a steak the other day. My grandparents gave me a nice big chunk of the steak that they had leftover and I put it in a ziplock bag with some olive oil, worchealdfka;ef sauce, soy sauce, garlic salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of teriyaki sauce. Cooked it up medium rare. Holy shit was that good

Careful Wakie or you'll get hooked into the cooking thing.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-07-10, 18:44

Never smoked potatoes. Sounds gross but to each their own. Got some beef ribs on to feed the fam.

_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14567
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-07-10, 18:50

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Never smoked potatoes. Sounds gross but to each their own. Got some beef ribs on to feed the fam.

None for the neighbor?

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-12, 16:22

Reward offered after mobile smoker stolen

Great look at WBH's old smoker.  R.I.P.

avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11876
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-07-19, 11:24

Tennessee woman melts bathtub after she attempts to barbecue brisket


_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-07-19, 13:20

LG, a few years ago on 72 between Grayling and Kalkaska someone opened up a little mini grocery store that sold wine and craft beer and some niche foods. Right between Dingman's bar and Shirley's cafe (Shirley's is excellent btw). Looks like this winter they added BBQ to their repertoire. Thought of you and the venture you were thinking about undertaking. Nice offset pit, probably about 48" long with a cabinet on either side. Looked to be a trailer that they had removed from the trailer and set on some cinder blocks. Didn't seem very busy but I only passed it 2-3x.

_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14567
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-07-19, 13:40

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:LG, a few years ago on 72 between Grayling and Kalkaska someone opened up a little mini grocery store that sold wine and craft beer and some niche foods. Right between Dingman's bar and Shirley's cafe (Shirley's is excellent btw). Looks like this winter they added BBQ to their repertoire. Thought of you and the venture you were thinking about undertaking. Nice offset pit, probably about 48" long with a cabinet on either side. Looked to be a trailer that they had removed from the trailer and set on some cinder blocks. Didn't seem very busy but I only passed it 2-3x.

I'll have to check it out the next time I go visit my sons over in Grayling. The little store I linked sold - $27K. It was a steal for somebody, it'll be interesting to see what they do there.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-13, 18:35


_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2016-08-13, 21:20

Company had a BBQ lunch couple weeks ago. Had Detroit BBQ company cater it. Was disappointed. The brisket was inconsistent...some pieces cooked about right and others were underdone. Both the brisket and ribs were over-seasoned...huge chunks of black pepper and too much of it. Sides sucked. Garlic green beans were underdone. They had a dish called something like 'smoked cheesy potatoes'. They were a mess. Looked and tasted like shredded frozen potatoes from GFS with some chunks of cheddar cheese mixed in.
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7535
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2016-08-13, 22:27

Did a slab of salmon on the Jumbo Joe earlier.  Olive oil, Wizard's worcestershire, sea salt, lemon pepper



Perfect medium rare
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7535
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-13, 22:31

The Pantry wrote:Did a slab of salmon on the Jumbo Joe earlier.  Olive oil, Wizard's worcestershire, sea salt, lemon pepper



Perfect medium rare

That looks good.

I've had a couple of tries from people on the smoked Mac & Cheese or Potatoes and haven't really been impressed by any of it.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by DWags on 2016-08-13, 22:31

Looks fu king great.

_________________
avatar
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20079
Join date : 2014-04-21
Age : 55
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2016-08-13, 22:32

Send some this way plz.
avatar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20178
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Denver, CO

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-08-13, 22:41

The Pantry wrote:Company had a BBQ lunch couple weeks ago. Had Detroit BBQ company cater it. Was disappointed. The brisket was inconsistent...some pieces cooked about right and others were underdone. Both the brisket and ribs were over-seasoned...huge chunks of black pepper and too much of it. Sides sucked. Garlic green beans were underdone. They had a dish called something like 'smoked cheesy potatoes'. They were a mess. Looked and tasted like shredded frozen potatoes from GFS with some chunks of cheddar cheese mixed in.

I pepper the shit out of my brisket. You really can't put too much of it on. It's what creates the bark. Most of it burns off. You just have to make sure you apply it right before you throw it on the pit so the meat doesn't take too much of it in before it starts to burn off.

_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14567
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2016-08-13, 23:01

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Company had a BBQ lunch couple weeks ago. Had Detroit BBQ company cater it. Was disappointed. The brisket was inconsistent...some pieces cooked about right and others were underdone. Both the brisket and ribs were over-seasoned...huge chunks of black pepper and too much of it. Sides sucked. Garlic green beans were underdone. They had a dish called something like 'smoked cheesy potatoes'. They were a mess. Looked and tasted like shredded frozen potatoes from GFS with some chunks of cheddar cheese mixed in.

I pepper the shit out of my brisket. You really can't put too much of it on. It's what creates the bark. Most of it burns off. You just have to make sure you apply it right before you throw it on the pit so the meat doesn't take too much of it in before it starts to burn off.
Love black pepper but DBBQ was just too much. Use to mess up ribs by over-seasoning them. DBBQ's reminded me of them.
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7535
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-08-19, 18:13

The office this afternoon. You might say I had a clear schedule. Ribs resting.


_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14567
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum