Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Copa America/European championships. Soccer stuff.

+10
aualum06
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
MiamiSpartan
Dr. Strangelove
tGreenWay
InTenSity
Travis of the Cosmos
14 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Copa America/European championships. Soccer stuff. - Page 4 Empty Re: Copa America/European championships. Soccer stuff.

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sat 11 Jun 2016 - 21:08

I watched this. So basically Uruguay got a 45 minute power play and they couldn't score? They blow.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Copa America/European championships. Soccer stuff. - Page 4 Empty Re: Copa America/European championships. Soccer stuff.

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 11 Jun 2016 - 21:13

Stop trying to make me move my thread to the bin.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 11 Jun 2016 - 21:13

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I watched this. So basically Uruguay got a 45 minute power play and they couldn't score? They blow.

Or America is the best.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 11 Jun 2016 - 21:17

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Stop trying to make me move my thread to the bin.

Fire up America!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 12:34

I'm at home for lunch and the N. Ireland/Ukraine game is on. The colors look just like a MSU/UM game. That's all.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 12:37

Fuck Ukraine then.

My boy sturridge did good today. I guess. I haven't seen highlights yet.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 12:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Fuck Ukraine then.

I'm not really up on my Northern Ireland history but their flag is red and white. Why are they wearing green?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 12:49

the France match yesterday was interesting in that I kept wondering how many scoring chances France would not convert against the weakest team in their group - it was only in the last 2 minutes of regulation and in stoppage that they decided to show up.

missed the England/Wales match this morning.. was busy, unfortunately.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 12:54

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Fuck Ukraine then.

I'm not really up on my Northern Ireland history but their flag is red and white. Why are they wearing green?
Just my guess, but probably because green is still a traditional color of Ireland. Just because the English have forced the part of the island to be their bitch, and probably made them do a flag that is almost the same as England's, doesn't remove green from their heritage. Not all countries where the color of their flag on their jerseys (Italy wears blue, and the Netherlands wear Orange, for example).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 13:01

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Just my guess, but probably because green is still a traditional color of Ireland.  Just because the English have forced the part of the island to be their bitch, and probably made them do a flag that is almost the same as England's, doesn't remove green from their heritage.  Not all countries where the color of their flag on their jerseys (Italy wears blue, and the Netherlands wear Orange, for example).

Makes sense to me.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 21:59

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!! SUCK IT WAKE!!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 22:04

USA!!!
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 22:05

Suck it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 23:01

EAT SHIT WAKE!!!!!!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 23:04

"Ecuador sucks at futbol" -Tim Wakefield, just now
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 23:05

Tim Wakefield wrote:"Ecuador sucks at futbol" -Tim Wakefield, just now

+1
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 23:09

"Ecuador is decent at futbol!!!" -Tim Wakefield, just now
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 23:09

Fuck off wake.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 23:12

I don't feel very good about any of this. My nipples are nervous
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 23:14

Enner, que haces ?!?

Montero is gonna score here
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 23:14

I don't speak Mexican but I swear to god wake I hope you enjoy the rest o your life south of the border wall if this doesn't go our way.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 23:30

Copa America/European championships. Soccer stuff. - Page 4 Image13
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 23:32

Go go USA
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 20:39

Chile just got sorta boned in the finals if you as me you guys.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 20:52

This ref is atrocious. He's equally atrocious for both sides, so that's nice. But atrocious nonetheless.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 20:54

Futbol!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 22:40

Looks like we're going to penalties to decide it you guys
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 22:49

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Looks like we're going to penalties to decide it you guys

Shittiest form of deciding a game in the fucking world.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 22:55

Back to back for Chile!
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 22:59

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Looks like we're going to penalties to decide it you guys

Nah. 120 minutes of scoreless play time to end it
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 23:01

DWags wrote:

There's really no other way unfortunately. The players would die.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 23:08

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:

Shit, I'd at least like to see a series of corner kicks where the whole team is involved. Basketball would run them till it was death, football would play till a winner was decided. Both of those sports plus hockey (in the playoffs) keep playing. Midland High school and another team (sorry Ican't remember right now, played a hockey game for the class A state championship, and the MHSAA called it after 4 overtimes and declared it a tie. That's was bullshit too. I think at this level, you certainly could monitor the blood pressure of ahtletes, but I know you have to err on the side of safety. It's just that you have some of the world greatest athletes fighting their ass out there, and after one extra time, you say, "shoot out". One on one. It really does not tell you who the better team was that day.

Meh, I"m just grumpy. It's dramatic, but it's shitty IMO.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 23:14

You could up the number of subs I suppose to keep going. But you'd have to do it on a level where it would similarly complicate the integrity of a game that is so much built around endurance. It is what it is I guess.

Soccer does do the whole home and home concept in the early rounds of domestic tournaments with the title breaker being away goals. But that's not really doable in international tournaments.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 23:18

I hate that they do the runner up stuff though. Let these poor saps leave already.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 27 Jun 2016 - 9:49

thoughts on the Euro?

Obviously, Germany is the team to beat - they were just toying yesterday with Slovakia. I've been impressed with France and Greizman was one hard foul yesterday away from getting a hat trick in about 25 minutes. Love the energy from the crowd, as well.

The Spain/Italy game today will be telling. While Iceland is the feel good story of the tourney, I think Belgium is probably the 2nd best team. Bale is probably the player of the tournament so far but I feel like their luck is gonna end Friday.

oh - and Ronaldo can go lick a sewer pipe somewhere. Can't stand that guy.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 27 Jun 2016 - 10:05

I'm trying to come up with some excuse to finish the day working at home so I can watch Spain Italy, but I don't think it's going to be in the cards.

I wasn't convinced Germany was the team to beat in the group stage, but getting their head out of their ass, benching gotze and actually trying to score goals seems to have helped them. I dunno, it'll be interesting. It does feel that all of the games I've wanted to watch have been happening while I'm at work though. They should play a euro in America sometime. Maybe on the 100 year anniversary or something.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 27 Jun 2016 - 10:20

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'm trying to come up with some excuse to finish the day working at home so I can watch Spain Italy, but I don't think it's going to be in the cards.

I wasn't convinced Germany was the team to beat in the group stage, but getting their head out of their ass, benching gotze and actually trying to score goals seems to have helped them. I dunno, it'll be interesting. It does feel that all of the games I've wanted to watch have been happening while I'm at work though. They should play a euro in America sometime. Maybe on the 100 year anniversary or something.
during group play, most of the contenders do enough to advance - we'll start seeing some more assertiveness now, I think. I think we already have (thinking back on Germany and France yesterday).

I'd be all for hosting the Euro here - Europeans need to learn a thing or two from us. However, I'm also an isolationist so I'd have difficult reconciling my desire to show Europeans how how live is meant to be lived while building a wall to keep America safe.

If you watch the Euro at all, there are a lot of brown-ish folks with funny names. I don't think that's a chance I'm willing to take with the country that I love.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 27 Jun 2016 - 11:22

We're #4!... in the western hemisphere.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon 27 Jun 2016 - 11:39

Is Britain still playing, or did they decide to pull out of the competition?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 27 Jun 2016 - 11:53

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Shit, I'd at least like to see a series of corner kicks where the whole team is involved. Basketball would run them till it was death, football would play till a winner was decided. Both of those sports plus hockey (in the playoffs) keep playing. Midland High school and another team (sorry Ican't remember right now, played a hockey game for the class A state championship, and the MHSAA called it after 4 overtimes and declared it a tie. That's was bullshit too. I think at this level, you certainly could monitor the blood pressure of ahtletes, but I know you have to err on the side of safety. It's just that you have some of the world greatest athletes fighting their ass out there, and after one extra time, you say, "shoot out". One on one. It really does not tell you who the better team was that day.

Meh, I"m just grumpy. It's dramatic, but it's shitty IMO.
On the other hand, you have 120 minutes to show you're the better team. If you can't do that, then you run the risk of losing in penalty kicks. Don't want to lose in PKs, then do something about that in regulation. Sometimes it means the better team loses. That happens in other sports, too. I look at it kind of like the MSU-Nebraska game. Yes, we lost due to a bullshit call. But we had 59 minutes to show that we were the better team that day, and we let the damn thing stay too close.

However, the better team didn't lose last night. The better team didn't necessarily win, either. They're pretty much even.

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I hate that they do the runner up stuff though. Let these poor saps leave already.
What's the big deal? Argentina should be pretty used to that by now.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next